Lunatic+ playlog/guide/walkthrough - COMPLETED

I'll be pairing Gregor with Miriel, most likely. She will ultimately give him +6-7 SPD as a Valkyrie, which is enough to go to war with (plus temporaries with Say'ri or Anna or Lon'qu are fine). And I'll have a Laurent with instant DM access and Armsthrift for Mire-bombing. Should be a good time.

Anyway, OP updated with Chapter 8. Another solo by Louise, naturally, but probably the last one.

[spoiler=Chapter 8: The Grimleal]

Welcome to the desert, and the last chapter of Mercenary Louise. Buy a Bronze Bow before you start (just in case), and make sure that you have enough Levin Sword uses to last for the whole chapter.

Keys to the chapter: Rescue Nowi and Gregor, prioritize killing the mages, and collect all of the freebie items here.

We'll be deploying Avatar, Frederick, Cordelia, Lissa, and Miriel. Fred and Cordelia are here purely so that we can have an 8 MV flying decoy, and Lissa is attending for +MAG support and desert mobility. Normally the desert is a pain in the ass, but here it works in our favor. Reason being: it slows down all of the enemies here except the mages, and we want them dead first anyway.

Start Avatar on the left-most spot, pair Chrom with her, and then move two spaces south. This puts you in range of two mages and a Fighter, which you should be able to easily mop up with a Levin Sword, more or less regardless of enemy skill distribution. Cordelia and Fred can fly off to the right and distract people for a while; that's their sole purpose here. Move Gregor onto Nowi, and get them to a safe spot. Next turn will find Nowi in a lot of trouble, so this is where moving into position with Lissa and Rescuing with Miriel will be necessary.

The movements here are very simple and not really worth detailing. Keep everyone out of the way and have AvatarxChrom rip the place apart. Dual Strike is hilariously useful here. If you need a place to fall back to, there's a one-strip wide spot between the rock and a wall on the left hand side where you can turtle. Pass is basically irrelevant because of the movement penalties. Kill mages with Levin Sword, kill Counter Myrmidons by OHKOing them with a strong sword, and generally just kite everything until you clear the place out. Don't forget to pick up the Rescue staff, Master Seal, and Second Seal from the villages here before you kill the boss.

Louise capped STR/SPD/DEF and actually hit level 20 perfectly on the boss kill. Her stats below are post-promotion to Bow Knight.

Turns: 22

Heroes: Louise & Chrom

Level HP ST MG SK SP LK DF RS Wlvl
Louise      1.00 54 28 16 21 29 29 29 12 A Swd, E Bow
Chrom      15.77 31 12 3  18 13 15 12 3  A Swd
Miriel      6.53 38 2  15 19 23 16 8  20 D Stf
Lissa      20.00 27 7  15 12 11 21 6  13 A Stf
Frederick   3.49 30 15 2  13 11 6  15 4  D Axe, C Swd, A Lnc

Supports   S - Louise|Chrom
           A - Louise|Frederick
           B - Louise|Lissa, Miriel|Kellam
           C - Chrom|Sully/Lissa, Louise|Miriel/Vaike, Miriel||Frederick, Frederick|Lissa
Louise is a brick house right now. Paired with Chrom, she has 70 listed avoid, which means 95-100 actual avoid during Enemy Phase between support bonuses, Charm, and Patience. To put that into perspective, the biggest badass Silver Axe Wyvern Rider right now has 33mt and 100 HIT. Whoops.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping for dilemma. Ch9 is proving to be a pain in the ass; I've been poking at the problem all week. The basic issue is one of acceptable results. I'll detail the general options:

Louise + Chrom solo. This is dead easy and highly reliable, since Bow Knight Louise can get to a fort by Turn 2. It's somewhat susceptible to Counter spam, but high base health relative to damage dealt allows some wiggle room (can take two Counters safely in any given Enemy Phase). Killing Edge makes it relatively safe, since listed crit is like 40%+. Downside: Libra has no chance whatsoever, and Tharja is very difficult to recruit without killing her.

Four-man deploy. Same as above, except includes Frederick (or whoever). The two forts are side-by-side, so you rescue Libra, and then squat with Chrom and Avatar on forts with their partners, and then just hold on. Downside: Chrom gets 3HKO'ed and there are a lot of things that can kill the shit out of him. So it's not super-reliable, and I don't have anyone that's better at tanking than him.

Eight-man deploy. Now includes Miriel, Lissa, Cordelia, Kellam. Fly and Rescue Libra with Cord/Miriel, and pull everyone back into the top corner before reinforcements show up, making a box with Avatar on the corner. Downside: fewer facings than option #2, but no fort bonus. There are a lot of ranged attackers here. Unreliable if some Hawkeye dudes sneak in.

So the reliable clear is a solo that lets Libra and Tharja die. Realistically I am only out a Ward staff, since I wasn't going to use them anyway and the other items are replaceable. Meh. Anyone have any genius ideas?

Bumping for dilemma. Ch9 is proving to be a pain in the ass; I've been poking at the problem all week. The basic issue is one of acceptable results. I'll detail the general options:

Louise + Chrom solo. This is dead easy and highly reliable, since Bow Knight Louise can get to a fort by Turn 2. It's somewhat susceptible to Counter spam, but high base health relative to damage dealt allows some wiggle room (can take two Counters safely in any given Enemy Phase). Killing Edge makes it relatively safe, since listed crit is like 40%+. Downside: Libra has no chance whatsoever, and Tharja is very difficult to recruit without killing her.

Four-man deploy. Same as above, except includes Frederick (or whoever). The two forts are side-by-side, so you rescue Libra, and then squat with Chrom and Avatar on forts with their partners, and then just hold on. Downside: Chrom gets 3HKO'ed and there are a lot of things that can kill the shit out of him. So it's not super-reliable, and I don't have anyone that's better at tanking than him.

Eight-man deploy. Now includes Miriel, Lissa, Cordelia, Kellam. Fly and Rescue Libra with Cord/Miriel, and pull everyone back into the top corner before reinforcements show up, making a box with Avatar on the corner. Downside: fewer facings than option #2, but no fort bonus. There are a lot of ranged attackers here. Unreliable if some Hawkeye dudes sneak in.

So the reliable clear is a solo that lets Libra and Tharja die. Realistically I am only out a Ward staff, since I wasn't going to use them anyway and the other items are replaceable. Meh. Anyone have any genius ideas?

Promoting Lissa probably could have dealt with her MAG problem and let her rescue Libra... but you're going for reliability.

You know what, scratch that. Can't you just rescue Libra with Miriel (Libra is actually pretty useful here to RES tank the dark mages)? I'd go for the four man deploy strategy but maybe bring Miriel, Fred, Cordelia in addition to Chrom and Avatar. You can probably have Fred tank the fort instead of Chrom if you can get him there (that's what Cordelia is for). That way you wouldn't be totally giving up on Libra either. I mean, with only 4-5 people you wouldn't have enough people to shield like in your Eight man strategy (trust me, the box in strategy isn't very reliable here even with 8 ish people, I had to reset many times and rely on some luck to pull it off here).

I didn't put too much thought into it so I am probably overlooking something.

Edited by Walhart

Lissa can be a Rescue bot here, 15 MAG is enough if I hit her with a Tonic. I also still have a Dust in my convoy. I just didn't bother with it because Miriel is almost as good (just loses for desert mobility).

Fred can make it to the fort on his own (the top one only), Cordelia is not strictly necessary. He gets full MV on the strip on Plains along the wall, and as long as I stay out of range of the Soldier, the bottom-right enemy group doesn't aggro until Turn 5 EP when the reinforcements show up. I hadn't thought of using Libra as the tank; he has the same DEF as Chrom, but better HP/RES, and Frederick would put him at 16 DEF. Might be workable. I'll try that first.

Yeah, the 8-man box is basically the least reliable of them all. I was intending to train Gregor here, but the reinforcements really eff up the plans, because you get pinched and there are no good places to hide people.

Thanks for the feedback; I'll try to make the four-man work, and default to the solo if it's necessary. I would really like to successfully recruit here.

Have you simply tried forging a Steel Sword or Killing Edge? With a 14 Mt sword, a Str Tonic, and the A rank, every non-Pavise enemy save for the Wyverns will be OHKOed by your 28 Str Avatar. With an additional +3 Str Pair Up, the Wyverns will also get OHKOed. The only skillset that would seem to pose a problem is Counter+Pavise, which has only a 5% chance of occurring if skills are distributed evenly. Using Sumia or Cordelia to ferry the Avatar to a good rout spot on turn 1 can probably clear up a lot of operating room; only several enemies near the starting point have 1-2 range.

Haven't tried that yet, but it's because Louise is capable of smoking the starting zone enemies with just a Levin Sword and a Chrom support. There are two Wyverns, two Soldiers, one Mage, and one Archer in immediate range. The first Wyvern and both Archer/Mage are fought at 2-range.

She is a clean ORKO on everything with Levin, and 80% Dual Strike chance means a 96% chance to activate at least one Chrom hit; that's enough to also ORKO the non-Soldier Pavise+ enemies (and even those guys are still 64% ORKO with a double DS). Since Levin hits for less than half of her health against the Soldiers, she can actually face up to two Counter enemies and still have a high survival chance here.

So that part is pretty consistent. Assuming she survives the first phase, she can make it all the way to the top fort and just chill all day. If I take the second turn to get both her and Fred just outside the Soldier's range, it's possible to put them both on forts and have Libra recruit himself on Ally Phase.

The trick so far seems to be surviving Turn 3. Fred gets mauled if I don't kill the mage next to the forts immediately. Chrom deals with him pretty handily if he doesn't have Counter, at least.

Edited by Interceptor

Oh, I forgot you had Levin Swords. I'm not so sure I understand your problem, then. If you can reliably clear out the beginning enemies with virtually no chance of death, and with Counter being manageable, what exactly is stopping you from rushing the entire level with the Levin Sword Avatar (presumably allowing you to either skip the reinforcements entirely or get in position to handle them comfortably) and fielding a bunch of other units (Sumia, Cordelia, Lissa) exclusively for ferrying Chrom around for the two recruitment events, and possibly picking off any remaining enemies?

Edited by Redwall

Map is too claustrophobic, basically. I have no place to hide people from Wyvern Riders, because the reinforcements come from behind the starting position at the end of Turn 5. No matter where I put Louise (and especially not if she is on a fort), once enemies start stacking they are able to peel off and kill people.

Currently I'm working on a strat where I don't move onto the forts until Turn 5 Player Phase. That is enough time to kill all of the starting enemies except a couple of stragglers.

I *may* be able to squirrel someone in the bottom left corner if I stick her on the edge of the corner of the wall, although that's going to hurt. I'll fiddle with that a bit and see how reliable it is.

Well, this was annoying, but it's done. I finally figured out a consistent way to complete the chapter while saving Libra/Tharja at high reliability. Thanks to Redwall for the OHKO idea, which ended up making it possible. I ran this chapter a half dozen times in a row to make sure that it's resilient to random enemy movements and skill combinations (it is). Avatar is also pretty overkill on the OHKOs with a variety of weapon options and two Energy Drops in the Convoy, so that should be alright as well.

OP updated with Chapter 9:

[spoiler=Chapter 9: Emmeryn]

This chapter is a race against the clock; Wyvern Rider reinforcements show up from behind at the end of Turn 5, and Libra can't handle the Lunatic+ skills for long. Pre-chapter preparations: buy as many SPD/SKL/LCK tonics as you need (in case a Skirmish blocks the shop), give Bow/Levin/Mystletainn to Avatar (strongly forged sword also acceptable), feed her a STR tonic, and hang on to your hat.

Keys to the chapter: Clear enemies efficiently with Avatar, secure OHKOs to avoid Counter, recruit Libra and get him to safety. Reset if the Soldier nearest Libra has Counter.

We're deploying both Sumia/Cordelia, Frederick, and Avatar for this map. Put Avatar and Fred in the lower-right spots, and the pegs in the lower-left ones (Cordelia closer to Chrom). The pegs are needed for flying utility, and Frederick is needed so that Bow Knight Avatar has 9MV, good Dual Strike potential, and massive STR/DEF. The first four Turns are the most critical in this chapter, so I'll be listing them in order.

Turn 1: Pair Fred with Avatar, and kill the Wyvern Rider at 2-range with a Levin Sword. She will wtfpwn the Archer, Mage, second Rider, and both Soldiers on Enemy Phase. Depending on atk and HP numbers, she can likely survive any two of the three 1-range enemies here having Counter. There may be leftovers here afterwards if you get bad skills or don't proc DS, but that's not a problem. Move Sumia up one square, Pair Chrom with Cordelia and move her where Sumia was.

Turn 2: After the murderfest, take Avatar and head directly past the first to attack the mage there from the upper-right with a Bow (NOT the Levin Sword). Levin Sword is too dangerous because of the possibility of Counter. This will kill the Mage, and eliminate two Archers on EP. Move Cordelia south, and drop Chrom either to the left or down, depending on enemy movements (if the archer moved into a range where he can threaten Cordelia, you'll need to drop him down). Sumia should go to an empty nearby space.

Turn 3: Libra recruits himself on Ally Phase. All that's left near Avatar now is Tharja and a bunch of 1-range jerkfaces. Equip Mystletainn (or your strong forge) so that you can OHKO everything. Heal if needed, or otherwise just kill something. On EP, everything should die but Tharja. Pair Libra and Chrom with fliers, and take them to safety. You may want to trade a Rescue staff to Libra. If there are weakened leftover here, kill them.

Turn 4: Fly Chrom over and recruit Tharja. Use Libra with Rescue to get him close enough if needed. Take Avatar and move to the left, getting ready for the reinforcements. The reinforcements are coming at the end of the next Turn, so make sure to block the two forts nearest the boss with units (unless you want to fight a Mage and a Soldier).

From here it's academic. The non-Avatar units can coast past the boss and hide inside the castle, safe from everything. You may want to give Chrom to Avatar so that he gets a little bit of EXP here from DS attacks. Or just have Avatar tank everything on a fort, and peel enemies off one at a time for Chrom to fight with Tharja and Libra's help. Finish off the boss last. Try to get D Bows for Avatar if possible.

I gave the boss to Chrom, since he needed the EXP. Louise housed everything as usual.

Turns: 14

Heroes: Louise & Frederick

Louise      4.95 57 29 18 21 30 30 30 14 A Swd, D Bow
Chrom      17.02 33 12 3  19 15 15 12 3  A Swd
Miriel      6.53 38 2  15 19 23 16 8  20 D Stf
Lissa      20.00 27 7  15 12 11 21 6  13 A Stf
Frederick   4.00 31 16 2  13 12 7  16 4  D Axe, C Swd, A Lnc

Supports   S - Louise|Chrom
           A - Louise|Frederick
           B - Louise|Lissa, Miriel|Kellam
           C - Chrom|Sully/Lissa, Louise|Miriel/Vaike, Miriel||Frederick, Frederick|Lissa

Nice speed rush strategy. Are you going to promote lissa to sage now?

Most likely, yes. Miriel is the only other obvious option that's even close at the moment, and I'm fine with her spending extra time in Tier 1 for bonus stats before I make her a Valkyrie. The next Master Seal is in Ch10.

Unfortunately, even though the speed run was neat and reliable, it ruined my plans of getting Miriel to Demoiselle for Gregor training. I'm trying to come up with a good training regimen for Ch10, because I'd like to have Sage Lissa for the Anna Paralogue. The current challenge is to find a way to deal with the starting Wyvern Riders, so that I am able to take my time killing everything else.

Which items are you going to get? Everything or everything but the Wyrmslayer? And a reminder a wyvern reinforcement appears from the fort where you start in (It's on turn 6 or the second turn of reinforcements in case I got the turn number wrong.)

Also, the forts where wyverns spawn in are actually traversable by foot units, but you can't move except to the fort next to it. But you can still put a dodge tank there.

Which items are you going to get? Everything or everything but the Wyrmslayer? And a reminder a wyvern reinforcement appears from the fort where you start in (It's on turn 6 or the second turn of reinforcements in case I got the turn number wrong.)

Everything, if I can get it. Louise + Frederick has 9 MV, and can actually get to the thief exit point before the thieves can. I'm toying with positioning to see how reliable I can make it.

Also, the forts where wyverns spawn in are actually traversable by foot units, but you can't move except to the fort next to it. But you can still put a dodge tank there.

Yeah, that'll be the basic strategy, I think. With fliers and Rescue I can stash four people up on a double fort. Counter is a problem, though. I don't want to have to buy + forge a Wyrmslayer for a OHKO, so this may require some ninja magic.

Wyvern Riders are level 13 and have 40/14/1 combo HP/DEF/RES in Chapter 10, so I need 54 physical or 41 magical for a OHKO (ignoring Pavise+ and Aegis+).

Gregor has 12 STR and C-rank Swords as a Myrmidon, so even with WTA he's going to need to come up with 40 from other sources. Tonic gets me down to 38, but I'd still need a 13 mt Wyrmslayer (+5), which is not feasible. Energy Drop gets that to +4mt, but that slayer still costs 9000g. Can't do it. I'd be better off trying to get a critical hit, since that only needs a couple points forged.

Magic is almost impossible without Tome rank. If I had Miriel as a DM still this would be simple, since Rexcalibur tears these things to shit, but the best option I have at the moment is Sage Lissa with a vanilla Wind tome (something like 22 effective mt).

Although Lissa is still a good option, here. The thief holding the Master Seal will die on Turn 1, I can have Chrom take it out of the Convoy and pass it to her, and she + Cordelia can fly up to the fort and insta-promote to Sage with a Wind tome in her inventory. She is in range of a 35mt Silver Axe and a 27mt short Axe Rider. She'd need like 16 DEF to survive both hits, which is not happening even post-promo, but they have 100 HIT to her 57 adjusted avoid, and 21 LCK for Miracle. She has something like an 89% chance to either dodge one of the hits, or activate Miracle on the kill-shot.

That doesn't take skills into account -- double Hawkeye means 79% CoD, single Hawkeye is 30% CoD, Counter on the melee guy is 31% CoD (need two dodges now), and Pavise+ causes all sorts of follow-up turn hell -- but it's not bad. The nice thing about having shit DEF is that Luna+ doesn't matter. Woot?

EDIT: oh, and yes, I will be staying on the forts until the end of turn 7, the last set of reinforcements. There are also two ground-mooks that have 1-2 range weapons and will wander over to poke at the fort-campers.

Edited by Interceptor

People have been PM'ing me on Youtube for some help to get up to Chapter 5 for DLC grinding.

I pointed them in your direction (this thread) for general pointers.

And I'm just laughing at how "Pick a God and Pray" statement was so accurate, even with the water tile exploits in the Prologue.

Heck I even wanted to record maybe a set of videos just to get them to Chapter 4. And... here's what happened. xD

*Salutes*

Your masochism level is still a hell of a lot higher than me.

"If the Elthunder mage up top spawns with Luna+, you may want to reset if you're going to use the water trick."

Went for it anyway, and lol.

Edited by shadowofchaos

People have been PM'ing me on Youtube for some help to get up to Chapter 5 for DLC grinding.

Cool. That was the point of detailing everything, so hopefully it helps. The stuff here should be sufficient to get people far enough to unlock grinding. Maybe even easier than usual, since there's no need to train anyone except Avatar for that.

And I'm just laughing at how "Pick a God and Pray" statement was so accurate, even with the water tile exploits in the Prologue.

Heck I even wanted to record maybe a set of videos just to get them to Chapter 4. And... here's what happened. xD

"If the Elthunder mage up top spawns with Luna+, you may want to reset if you're going to use the water trick."

Ouch. That's what you get for picking a LCK flaw Avatar. Follow the guide, bro. ;)

*Salutes*

Your masochism level is still a hell of a lot higher than me.

Could have been worse.

If you the mage also had focus it would have been 15% crit.

Interceptor... I'm making good progress on using your guide. But honestly, no matter how good of a guide you have, my LUCK flaw in real life just likes to kick in so many times.

This is the 3rd reset on Chapter 2.

...This has happened to me before, A LONG time ago. It's taunting me, man. It's taunting me.

Your luck on RNG not only depends on what skills the enemies have, but also your growth. If your avatar got DEF screwed and Mag screwed, you better reset if you didn't want to stuck and/or become RNG slave on chapter 2.

Your luck on RNG not only depends on what skills the enemies have, but also your growth. If your avatar got DEF screwed and Mag screwed, you better reset if you didn't want to stuck and/or become RNG slave on chapter 2.

Louise      8.86 25 12 8  6  8  9  13 5  E Swd, C Tome

yXaCuDQ.png

Doesn't seem screwed to me with direct comparison. I mean that's expected to have some differences, but looks mostly the same to me.

yXaCuDQ.png

Doesn't seem screwed to me with direct comparison. I mean that's expected to have some differences, but looks mostly the same to me.

That's good, even better in my opinion because of the SPD. But the challenge might be come in this chapter. Just imagine, you've got decent set of enemies, crit the Mercenary on player phase and two enemies got Dual Strike to death. When your avatar leveled up, only one of his stat raised. I supposed we have to reset if that happen, right?

Edited by Shengar

Hahahaha. The boss had hawkeye and no Luna+.

I equipped a bronze sword, and used my face a shield paired up with Frederick. Managed to abuse a level out of Chrom even though that "anti-abuse" measure is present.

Honestly despite the "lack of reliability" because of how stupid Chapter 2 is... it's much more reliable than when I first messed with Lunatic and Lunatic+ >_>;

All thanks to your guide, Interceptor... 52 turns. xD

And my pain is all recorded.

Two more chapters to go until I post this video guide on Youtube... probably not as good as your run... but it'll at least give people the idea of what you mean with your guide. xD

Edited by shadowofchaos

Thank you very much, Interceptor.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41158

Couldn't have done it without ya.

Low-level scrub achievement unlocked.

Congrats on making it past the initial levels; Lunatic+ is totally a "YMMV" sort of thing. I watched the first bit, but ran out of time, I'll watch the rest later.