Shining Force Tips?

MacLovin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gort is bro for life. The starting archer is kind of shitty.

I have the Genesis version for the Virtual Console, and I have not gotten very far, so that's all I got.

Narsha is a beast, and you should try to obtain the maximum number of cards for Mawlock. It really will help for your next playthrough.

That means that you will have to train some units...

Don't use Gong. Try to avoid units who can't use weapons, because their power rapidly lack behind (Mawlock is an exception, because cards makes it pretty broken..., and Domingo is a mage before all, and is awesome.)

Arthur starts pretty bad, but he can learn basic elemental spell.

Don't hesitate to flee the battle if you need extra EXP.

These Bats are hell incarnate.

Your first characters of any class are pretty bad, so don't abuse them, except Luke and Gort...

Edited by TendaSlime

The GBA game is generally easier than the Genesis version, so it's not a huge deal which characters you use. Don't kill me if I get things mixed up, since I'm a bit more familiar with the Genesis version. x_x

I'm no expert, but:

I remember both of the warriors are fantastic.

Narsha is stupid broken. She learns a bunch of powerful boost spells and gets Aura, the most useful heal spell in the game.

Khris is probably your best bet for a non-Narsha reliable healer (she learns Aura later on, Shining Force's version of Fortify), though Gong is pretty versatile at the beginning.

I'm also big fans of Mae and Ken because of their huge movement and ability to switch between lances and ranged spears for versatility. Ken's stats are slightly iffy long term though. You might consider Earnest in his place since iirc he got a MASSIVE boost in the GBA version. Arthur is an option if you love grinding, but he's sort of unnecessary.

Tao and Anri can seriously nuke when they learn their level 2 or 3 spells.

Also, don't forget to recruit Musashi, because I did. :( He comes with a very powerful sword, which is a great boon to the bird warriors should you decide to use one of them. Check an FAQ so you don't skip him later on.

I think those are my biggest character recommendations. I also suggest not promoting long after level 10 because of how promotion works in this game. They take bit of a stat penalty when they first promote, then gain TONS of stats afterwards.

Hope that all helps!

Well, I don't know how similar this version is to the Genesis version, but as someone who's constructed an RTA speed run route for that version...

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/shining_force_1_100_rta_in_under_7_hours.html

I think my opinion should have a BIT of validity...

1) Luke, Tao, Max, Pell, and Domingo are an absolute must, and Zylo and Musashi are pretty good too. Also, if you want to, you can use a guy called Balbaroy, though he's really only useful for speed runs and the like.

2) Strangely enough, you actually DON'T really need healers in this game, as Healing Seeds and a later item called the White Ring will generally get you by really well, so don't waste too much time raising healers up in level.

3) Don't spread out the experience among party members you don't plan on using for long, but focus much of it on a select group of people instead (such as the guys I have listed, ESPECIALLY Domingo!).

4) Don't expose Max too often, as it's game over if he dies.

5) Promote units after you find weapons that you can't use until they promote, and not a second later or sooner than that. The gains they get from waiting until later are, for the most part, too minimal to matter, but you don't want this dumb situation where you're promoted unit can't kill anything either, right?

6) Never, ever, EVER lose the Power Ring once you get it, as it is AMAZING!

7) I'm not sure how bad the A.I. in this version is compared to the original, but pretty much every enemy suffered from arthritis, and would only move after you've crossed invisible boundries, so I would recommend going slowly just to see what enemies do what.

8) There will be a fight with that mysterious figure who kills the king later on (oh c,mon, like THAT'S a spoiler), and it is an absolutely AMAZING place to level up and grind, especially if you're a mage, so I would recommend grinding them both until both learn Boost.

Edited by FionordeQuester

He does have the :Wrys: factor going for him, but he's mostly early game filler. Having a decent healer is nice, since healing items can clog up the stupid 4 item inventories pretty quickly, but he's pretty average. On the other hand, he did get a little buff from the Sega version iirc...

the massive favoritism I gave Gong plus loading him up on rings did make him not suck for me so there was that

I think his healing fell off but it was still viable, just not as good as the actually healers

Ditch Bleu.

Don't focus on Ken tbh. His mediocre def and atk suck late game

Gort/Luke falter around part 5-6 were mountains are everywhere. They are most helpful early mid game though.

Narsha break the game in two.

Sword of Light when used casts bolt 2 iirc. Use it all the time. Chaos Breaker also does Freeze 4 iirc. Use it to maximize exp for Max. They never ever break no matter how many times they are used.

Musashi and Hanzou are monsters. PLEASE USE THEM. I'm referring to the remake version btw. The original didnt have them quite so broken.

Zylo will roll MVP probably. Don't pass that up.

Diane is surprisingly usable. Not mandatory by any means, but she does pretty decently as a poker throughout the game. Lyle too, though terrain :/

I feel like you're bound to get varying opinions, but I might as well throw my thoughts in, seeing as I absolutely love the Shining Force games.

-Gong's pretty much your best earlygame guy, but his offense after promotion is garbage, relegating him to pure healing past that. I prefer him over Lowe since Lowe is basically the same but slower.

-Mae's pretty awesome once you start getting her into those big promotion levels. She's a bit underwhelming at immediate promotion, but that's her only real weak point.

-Birdmen are good.

-The trio of Narsha/Zuika/Mawlock are ridiculously broken. I'd actually recommend not touching them if only so the game can retain some virtual hint of challenge.

-If you don't know how promotion works, it's pretty important to know since it's not like FE at all. Basically on promotion, you are reset to set stats no matter what level you promote at, so it's best to just promote at 10 or not promote at all (varies from character to character). Only thing waiting to promote later does for you is gives you more "huge levels" during promotion than normal, which only would effect you really late into the game. Just giving you that little heads up, cause when I first played SF, that threw me off hard.

In the GBA version, Earnest is supposed to be insane. The other two are supposed to be very good as well. It might even be worth ditching Mae and/or Ken if they are not impressing you. Unfrotunately, weapon scarcity means you probably don't want to use more than two of the knights.

Edited by SRC

Well Pelle is a dude who is amazing the moment you get him but eventually falls off, so he's pretty awesome if you want someone to hold you solid till you trade him out for someone lategame.

Vankar is generally just ok. Shows up and is basically a second Ken, but lategame he's actually pretty durable along with packing one hell of an arm.

Earnest is physically a great tank, but I always found him underwhelming.

Well, as far as the Genesis version goes, Mae and Ken are supposed to be fairly decent, but nothing special, Pelle is supposed to be awesome even in the lategame (yeah, he does fall behind, but not by a whole heck of a lot, certainly not by enough to cancel out his AMAZING early game), Arthur is that guy who grows strong later but not enough to justify his weak beginning (like Bleu and Adam), and the rest of the paladins are complete garbage...

Of course, if people say Earnest got a massive power up in the GBA version, that may very well be the case. I wouldn't know.

With Amon and Balbaroy, Amon tends to be able to stick around since she's supposed to be good lategame (I think she's not as good as she was in the Genesis version), while Balbaroy is kinda solid, but he doesn't have much long term. Flight is really useful in this game, and while the birdmen don't hit hard, they can pull attention off your main force or reach annoying things before anyone else can.

They can be very useful overall, just make sure to be careful with them. They aren't the tankiest units out there.

Yeah, personally, I never used Amon, so I don't really know by how much she's supposedly better than Balbaroy, but she is EXTREMELY weak starting out, while Balbaroy is not very strong, but JUST strong enough that with the Power Ring and some stat boosters, he's a very solid unit as well...

Of course, it really doesn't seem to me like they're worth the effort in anything but a speed run, because while they have their niche uses as the above poster has said, whatever experience you spend on them can just as easily go to another unit, so I personally wouldn't recommend them for anything but support units (stock em up with the Power Ring and items so they can heal your units and cast Boost on them for example).

just beat it for the first time.

And then I find out it has a new game + option.

Anyways, Holy Ring+Evil Ring+Black Ring Kikouchi with Valkyrie was really OP and Domingo was ridiculous.

Magic plus flying plus massive durability plus desoul.

Musashi joins underlevelled with good bases, but is kind of a copy of Gort/Luke if levelled.

Vankar and Earnest were totally worth it since they kept getting +5/6 stat boosts to invdividual stats every level and violated the chimera and blue dragons

Zylo, Narsha, Mawlocke, and Max are just ridiculous. Zylo has little problem at anything, and Max can take all the early exp and promote around the time he gets his magic spells.

Anri sucked and couldn't move fast enough and got OHKO'd by almost everything later on.