Shining Force Tips?

MacLovin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amon gets 5RKO'd by silver knights in Elliots chapter when she's at promotion.

Man, how does the growth system work in these games?

The growth system works as thus. Every level for every character has a scripted amount that they will hover around no matter what, but is given a loose berth so it's not 100% the same every time, but still consistent every playthrough. SF2 I believe has a berth of 4 points above or below the scripted amount, but I think SF1 has a ridiculous berth of 8. Not sure if that was adjusted at all in the GBA remake.

As for new game+, what this does is raise all enemy stats by 2, gives you Mawlock immediately at the start, and you keep all your cards from your first playthrough.

Also, Domingo doesn't fly, he floats. He ignores terrain penalties, but he can't move through all terrain like birdmen and stuff can. At least, that's how it was in the first game.

Started playing SF2, is Chester supposed to be the tank?

He keeps getting +2/3 def every lvl.

Also, any little tips on SF2 aside from Use Peter and Master Monk Sarah.

Man, Shining force has all the things that FE is missing.

-Horsemen aren't as ridiculously OP'd

-Flyers aren't generally able to make maps go faster.

-Shining Force has healers that attack with their bare hands, something a guy like fe8 Moulder or fe5 Safy would have liked.

-Male Peg Knights.

I notice that archers are still shitty.

Edited by Aquaman

Chester has the lowest defense out of all the other centaurs. Wouldn't recommend using Chester. He is a average character. Jaha or Randolf has much higher defense than Chester. There are a lot of other characters that easily surpass Chester in defense.

Karna Master Monk is game breaking. Extremely easy to level up using boost and gets aura 4. Could easily solo the entire game power leveling Karna which doesn't take long to do. Gerhalt is a ghetto version of Peter but still usually the 2nd best in attack power. Slade starts out weak but becomes one of your best characters in offense. Double attacks often when promoted to Ninja. He becomes much better if promoted later than level 20. The only archer type unit I like using is May who has good movement and attack power but very low HP and defense. Frayja is the best Vicar. Learns aura 4 earlier than Karna.

Started playing SF2, is Chester supposed to be the tank?

He keeps getting +2/3 def every lvl.

Also, any little tips on SF2 aside from Use Peter and Master Monk Sarah.

Man, Shining force has all the things that FE is missing.

-Horsemen aren't as ridiculously OP'd

-Flyers aren't generally able to make maps go faster.

-Shining Force has healers that attack with their bare hands, something a guy like fe8 Moulder or fe5 Safy would have liked.

-Male Peg Knights.

I notice that archers are still shitty.

Chester tends to be pretty earlygame all things considered. You will eventually find statistically better units, but Chester's got a fairly good amount of mileage to go. If he's turning out fantastic for you then go ahead. It's pretty much either him or Eric going Pegasus.

Good tips for SF2 is that the Boost spell from the Protect Ring or wherever you can get it is a pretty great boon. Lategame enemies hit like the fists of angry gods even in Normal Mode, so any Def boosting will be great. As for Master Monk Sarah, I'm always torn on that actually. Thing about Master Monks is that you rarely if ever will actually attack with them cause they have more important shit to do, or in Sarah's case because she's so damn slow. You can get quite a numorous amount of varied mobile units in this game, and her 5 move eventually will seem pretty lacking. As for more tips, pack herbs, and at least one archer will come in handy for later. Bonus damage against flying units once you get stronger weapons is something you'll be very happy to have lategame. Rhode's slow, but hits the hardest out of any of them, and Janet with her speed can still be fairly fast as a Brass Gunner, another boon cause she tends to have fairly good def when leveled. Elric's a rather boring middle road, and Maya kinda sucks due to her 5 centaur type move. Also, Sorcerers are amazingly good. Boss fights in this game can get a bit out of control, so focusing power will come in handy.

Healing/Physical hitter monks would be pretty cool in FE. Closest we got is War Monks in the latest FE13. Just one step closer...

considering keeping sarah for MMonk and picking Eric.

is Higgin worth it? Along with Skreech

Considering keeping Maya for her move, unless Janet/Rhode really impress me.

Wait, Rhode rides a frickin tank.

*Sold.

Edited by Aquaman

considering keeping sarah for MMonk and picking Eric.

is Higgin worth it? Along with Skreech

Considering keeping Maya for her move, unless Janet/Rhode really impress me.

Wait, Rhode rides a frickin tank.

*Sold.

Sarah's your only healer for a while, and for a majority of the game if you pick Eric. Eric's still a pretty worthy pick though, seeing as he's only second to Peter in combat capabilities.

Higgins is worth it for like a split second. Around that time a normal Chester is probably not better than Higgins so he serves as a temporary replacement until you get Jaro. Skreech by lategame you can treat as a flying caster with magic items to replace Luke. I tend to give him the Dark Sword for flying Desoul and to give him a real punching arm so he can roll with my Royal Air Force.

Maya's move is 5 and has centaur terrain problems. I'm pretty sure that Brass Gunners ignore terrain altogether, and come equipped with greater range, though I think they are stuck with 5 move as well as opposed to the Sniper's 6.

Well, Shining Force is pretty fun.

To be fair, I am playing on normal mode.

Slade seems to be keeping up well with the resources I'm pumping into him.

Edited by Aquaman

Well, Shining Force is pretty fun.

To be fair, I am playing on normal mode.

Slade seems to be keeping up well with the resources I'm pumping into him.

Normal mode can be pretty tough in SF2. Super Mode (Ouch! forgot to add the AI increase that Super has, so despite Ouch being more painful, Super Mode is considered the harder mode) is up there in the FE6-Lunatic DS games difficulty.

That reminds me, the computer is in fact a cheating whore. Basically the AI has a little cute factor in it in that it will cheat the Agility order if it can straight up murder a character in realistic time while still retaining the 1 move a turn rule. Basically if you know the turn is about to end, you will find even slow enemies suddenly getting their turn to finish off a character that was weakened a turn before. So yeah, do be a bit careful.

Slade makes damn good use of the Power Water. Everything else is luxury, but luxury he enjoys nonetheless.

Gerhalt seems to be pretty good, but I'm guessing that his move will make him peter out.

Up to the map right before Creeds Mansion. I'll probobly just get Karna for the healing and save Eric for next pick.

Can't decide on Peg Eric or Peg Rick though.

Edited by Aquaman

Gerhalt seems to be pretty good, but I'm guessing that his move will make him peter out.

Up to the map right before Creeds Mansion. I'll probobly just get Karna for the healing and save Eric for next pick.

Can't decide on Peg Eric or Peg Rick though.

To note about the whole "getting the others" thing, you can first pick someone at Creed's Mansion, then you get the rest when you visit them WAAAAAAAAAAY later in the game. So late that the other guys probably won't matter at all (by the time you would get Tyrin, Chaz is already there). Karna you can actually save for later since she's just going to have Boost, and that's all you really need out of her. It's pretty much between Eric and Karna really. Tyrin kinda blows, and Randalf isn't that special.

Eric is far more deserving of Pegasus. Eric's stats rival Peter, so his far greater Atk is worth more on wings. Rick would prefer to use terrain effect in tandem with his great Def stat.

As for magic and promotion, it works like this. You promote, it basically acts like you're 20 anyways. If you wait to promote later like at 25, your promotion reverts you back to 20 so it delays your spellbook. If you promote to Sorcerer though, it reverts to level 1, because the Sorcerer spellbook starts low levels.

just finished the thing with mitula.

Skreech arrived and he's almost a clone of Luke.

Give a little more attack in exchange for defense.

And luke has the power ring which was totally worth it.

Peg Knight Eric puts Chester to shame. 68 HP and being equal to peter is nice.

What the fuck is with the chrome lance dark knights, they 2HKO everyone.

just finished the thing with mitula.

Skreech arrived and he's almost a clone of Luke.

Give a little more attack in exchange for defense.

And luke has the power ring which was totally worth it.

Peg Knight Eric puts Chester to shame. 68 HP and being equal to peter is nice.

What the fuck is with the chrome lance dark knights, they 2HKO everyone.

Welcome to lategame. It's not gonna get much friendlier. You got over a hurdle for sure, but trust me when I say it's gonna get worse.

As for Skreech, Luke is so fragile anyways that the extra Atk means more.

Lategame is being a bit of a hurdle.

Kazin/Taya are ridiculous glass cannons that 2HKO everything.

Eric/Jaro/Peter are all pretty bro and fuck rick.

Rick can't do shit lategame, so I'm ditching him for Sheela.

Gave Gyan and Jaha the pimentos, and i'm not regretting anything.

Normal mode can be pretty tough in SF2. Super Mode (Ouch! forgot to add the AI increase that Super has, so despite Ouch being more painful, Super Mode is considered the harder mode) is up there in the FE6-Lunatic DS games difficulty.

I thought it was the other way round. Super gives the enemies something like 25% higher attack stat and Ouch! gives them 12.5% like the difficulty above normal but with better AI(or maybe it was Super which got both by mistake).

Since I remember Super almost invalidates any use Kiwi has even as he's recruited since the bonus makes the enemies attacks quite a bit higher than his defense shortly after he joins up.

Edited by arvilino

isn't kiwi really shitty anyways.

I mean i can't use him in easy or normal modes without slowing everything down and it's harder to feed kills in SF than in FE.

Is the result really worth it?

isn't kiwi really shitty anyways.

I mean i can't use him in easy or normal modes without slowing everything down and it's harder to feed kills in SF than in FE.

Is the result really worth it?

He's not really worth it, but when you recruit him in Normal, Hard(?) or Ouch! his defense is so high that he's taking 1 point of damage from everything for a bit which is a little useful. In Super the enemies with no weapons for the battle after he joins(one of those gizmo looking enemies) already have more attack than his defense.

Also a while back I got a Sega Saturn and Shining Force III(which ended up costing more than twice I got the console for), which I plan to play a bit over the summer. Anyone got any tips for playing it?

Edited by arvilino

In Shining Force III you can build friendship bonus between two characters. Each type of characters give different bonuses. Main character Synbios gives attack bonus. Masqurin gives magic bonus. To build a friendship bonus between 2 characters. You have to attack the same enemy with both characters. There is 3 levels of friendship. While building friendship bonus is a pain to do and not worthwhile doing for most characters. Certain characters can build it quite easily like Masqurin and Noon with Spark 2 and 3. You get friendship points for each enemy you hit so using Spark 2 or 3 hitting multiple targets can boost the levels extremely fast. Also kill shots give more points. Best to check out the FAQ at GameFAQs to see all the different bonus.

It is also best to stick to one type of weapon throughout the game. Like Synbios can equip Sword, Rapier, Blade, and Dagger. You can get 3 levels of bonus per each type of weapon. As you level up the weapon type. The bonus you get is a new attack plus extra attack bonus for the type of weapon your using. Example say you have a Short Sword that gives 10 attack. Level 1 Sword bonus would give you a additional +4 attack. So equipping the Short Sword with a level 1 Sword bonus give you 10+4=14 dmg.

Character wise you should be able to figure out who to use depending on your playstyle. Most of the really good characters you get early in game like Dantares, Masqurin, and Grace. Just avoid using Penn as he sucks.

Forgot to mention Shining Force III Scenario 2 and 3 which was never released for the US or EU. You can get the English translation patch at Shining Force Central. It is well worth playing all 3 Scenarios or you will miss out on happens with the story from the other main characters party. Like at the beginning of Synbios's story. The first battle which is in the town of Saraband while your other main Character in Scenario 2 Medion is at Saraband Port for his first battle. Each of the main characters will encounter one another throughout each game. Also the dubbing is horrible. It's so bad some people actually enjoy listening to the bad voices. After playing the game so much. I'm immune to the effect of hearing "Now bear my Artic Blast!"

Finished Tear Ring Saga yesterday and started playing Shining Force III Scenario 3 again. Doing a normal difficulty gameplay with no egress. Usually play on hard difficulty but decided to play a non grinding playthrough for a change. The newest V14 patch is looking good. Also Donhort is one ugly mofo and I just got Rollie the Unicorn which is one of my favorite characters.

Edited by Siruppercut

in shining force CD. [The first one, with 4 books and starting with the kids of the original characters.]

is there a drawback from promoting asap?

how do i make RAM cart saves load on kega fusion?

Edited by Aquaman