Fitting *Spoiler Character* Into Smash Bros.

Robinigo

Do you remember how Zelda could transform into Sheik in Smash Bros. Melee? I hadn't played ocarina of time yet, so thanks for the spoiler Nintendo! Do you think there could be a way of keeping people from being spoiled, unless they really wanted to? Perhaps a spoiler setting, or maybe a questionaire about games and the spoilers involved. Perhaps, as an example, they could use Lucina in the spoilerriffic versions, but replace her with masked Marth in the spoiler-free ones. It could run as a client-side service, I don't know, I know it'll keep people who haven't played awakening yet from being angry about how marth isn't really who she says she is, though.

Well, Sheik is really "That spoiler everyone knows about". I think, if Lucina gets in, she'll be treated the same way, and have no spoiler warning for her.

Well, Sheik is really "That spoiler everyone knows about". I think, if Lucina gets in, she'll be treated the same way, and have no spoiler warning for her.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I mean look at brawl, it spoiled the final chapter of Mother 3 to no end. With its stage, trophy, boss in subspace etc.

If a character is in smash. Nintendo assumes just about everyone knows about the game(s)/character(s) in question.

Eh. I don't see why people are so anal about spoilers. The gameplay is supposed to be the best part. It's not a movie.

Also you should skip Ocarina of Time anyway because it sucks.

It's not for me, it's for people like my brother who may want to play the game and haven't reached Lucina's chapter. Imagine the shock when most of the first thirteen chapters are spoiled for them. Spoilers ruin things for some people, maybe it never affects you, but it does some others.

PS. I loved ocarina of time, over one hundred hours were poured into that game

Edited by SpikyRtG

I don't see how knowing who Lucina is spoils anything in the story.

It's more of the "hey wait, marth was Lucina all along!" Idea. I had it spoiled for me and the grand reveal of marth being Chrom's daughter felt empty to me. It's a personal thing, you might not understand it

Yeah, I had it spoiled to me too before I played that part of the game. I hated that. >.>

If anything, I think Lucina should be in only as an assist trophy. She'd be too similar to Marth if she were playable, even if you could "transform" him into her.

Yeah, I had it spoiled to me too before I played that part of the game. I hated that. >.>

If anything, I think Lucina should be in only as an assist trophy. She'd be too similar to Marth if she were playable, even if you could "transform" him into her.

If Lucina's too similar to Marth then so's Chrom, seeing as how the two fight the same.

If Lucina's too similar to Marth then so's Chrom, seeing as how the two fight the same.

Not really. Chrom wouldn't be a lightweight, he'd be stronger than Marth (but not as strong or heavy as Ike), a little slower, and have different moves. Lucina seems to have a style more akin to Marth's, though with similar moves to her father in Awakening. The only thing she'd have in common with Chrom in a Smash Bros. game is Aether. Everything else would be like Marth.

Imo, Chrom is moreso based on Ike, but with more all-around abilities, while Lucina is based on Marth.

Not really. Chrom wouldn't be a lightweight, he'd be stronger than Marth (but not as strong or heavy as Ike), a little slower, and have different moves. Lucina seems to have a style more akin to Marth's, though with similar moves to her father in Awakening. The only thing she'd have in common with Chrom in a Smash Bros. game is Aether. Everything else would be like Marth.

Imo, Chrom is moreso based on Ike, but with more all-around abilities, while Lucina is based on Marth.

Chrom and Lucina have the exact same fighting style. There's even a cinematic that shows this. Even discounting that, Lucina's Lord and Great Lord animations don't have a lot in common with Marth's in SSB or FE (with the exception of DLC Marth, who fights nothing like Marth in SSB or FE), about the only thing they have in common is a lunge with Falchion, and even that is different, with Marth stopping to do the lunge and Lucina moving while doing it. Plus, she and Chrom use lances, and Marth doesn't.

Chrom and Lucina have the exact same fighting style. There's even a cinematic that shows this. Even discounting that, Lucina's Lord and Great Lord animations don't have a lot in common with Marth's in SSB or FE (with the exception of DLC Marth, who fights nothing like Marth in SSB or FE), about the only thing they have in common is a lunge with Falchion, and even that is different, with Marth stopping to do the lunge and Lucina moving while doing it. Plus, she and Chrom use lances, and Marth doesn't.

That cinematic showed Chrom and Lucina using like two of the same moves. That doesn't mean they're exactly the same. Lucina would still be more similar to Marth than Chrom because she'd be in the same weight class and strength class.

Maybe what I mean is that Lucina would be too similar to both of them.

That cinematic showed Chrom and Lucina using like two of the same moves. That doesn't mean they're exactly the same. Lucina would still be more similar to Marth than Chrom because she'd be in the same weight class and strength class.

Maybe what I mean is that Lucina would be too similar to both of them.

Lucina and Chrom use the same moves in the opening video when fighting side by side, and in the cinematic “Two Falchions”, the lunge is the same as is the the sword spin thing before the lung, they both have an epic jump attack. Chrom also appears to block one of Lucina’s strikes the same way that she blocked his jump attack. Given that there’s apparently a sword technique that only the Royal Family of Ylisse use that seems to have very little in common with how Marth fights, Lucina and Chrom have an incredibly similar, if not the same, fighting style, so Lucina fights more like Chrom than she does Marth, which means even if Lucina is in Smash Brothers, she shouldn't have a similar in fighting style to Marth, so wouldn't play similarly, whereas Chrom and Lucina would, unless you want to argue that Link and Ike are similar, and Link and Toon Link aren't, because Ike and Link weigh about the same while Toon Link is much lighter.

To be frank, I don't think that their in-universe fighting styles are going to be quite as exactly replicated in SSB4, if both Chrom and Lucina make appearances. Marth has only had a few movement animations, and was given a notably stylized moveset in Melee and Brawl that IS probably just took the liberty to invent for him.

It seems to be a trend that IS has been giving Fire Emblem characters movesets based more on their physique, such as in the case of Ike; he's actually very agile, as seen in his short CG scuffle with the BK in Radiant Dawn, but swings his sword with much more pronounced motions in Brawl.

That being said, I think it's likely that Chrom will move similarly to Ike because of their similar build, while Lucina will play more similarly to Marth. (If it means anything, an event match description in Melee describes Marth as "lithe.")

Edited by Green Poet

Lucina and Chrom use the same moves in the opening video when fighting side by side, and in the cinematic “Two Falchions”, the lunge is the same as is the the sword spin thing before the lung, they both have an epic jump attack. Chrom also appears to block one of Lucina’s strikes the same way that she blocked his jump attack. Given that there’s apparently a sword technique that only the Royal Family of Ylisse use that seems to have very little in common with how Marth fights, Lucina and Chrom have an incredibly similar, if not the same, fighting style, so Lucina fights more like Chrom than she does Marth, which means even if Lucina is in Smash Brothers, she shouldn't have a similar in fighting style to Marth, so wouldn't play similarly, whereas Chrom and Lucina would, unless you want to argue that Link and Ike are similar, and Link and Toon Link aren't, because Ike and Link weigh about the same while Toon Link is much lighter.

Actually, Ike is much heavier than Link in Brawl. He's a heavyweight while Link is a middleweight. But I already said I was mistaken and probably am thinking Lucina would be too similar to Chrom if he got in. She should just be an assist trophy, like I said.

From a game development perspective, nothing is wrong with cloned characters. If they have enough time in game development, they can add a few clones to attract a wider variety of audiences with the hopes that more people buy their product because their favorite character was in it.

Melee was my first video game I bought, and I really only bought it because Pichu was adorable to my 8 year old self.

Sakurai clearly shows no interest in avoiding spoilers (hai porky hai new pork city). I doubt they'd spoiler Lucina's identity, or whoever else they put in that fan's would consider spoilers.

Smash's priorities are gameplay and characters, for very obvious reasons. If they need to avoid spoilers to put in a character they desire to put in, then so be it.

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

SSBB Weight Ranking
1 Bowser 120
2 Donkey Kong 116
3 Snake 113
4 King Dedede 112
5 Charizard 110
6 Ganondorf 109
7 Samus 108
8-9 Yoshi 107
8-9 Wario 107
10 R.O.B. 106
11 Ike 105
12-13 Captain Falcon 104
12-13 Link 104

From the Brawl wiki.

And Lucina could get in over Chrom, she's at least as popular and is just as important to the plot of FE:A, if not more so on both accounts. IS might suggest her to Sakurai like they did Ike because of those things.

Funny, I could've sworn Link was not in the heavyweight class. But whatever.

The difference between Ike and Lucina is that Ike has a game all to himself and Lucina doesn't. Chrom is the first lord we see in Awakening and he remains a main character throughout the whole game. Lucina doesn't. You're not even required to use her like you are Chrom. Thus, her father is more important.

Edited by Anacybele

Lucina is gr9 I want her and Chrom in Smash Bros 4. Just take away Ike and give Chrom his moves and then add him and Lucina :^_^:.

I personally think Ike should stay and Chrom should come in with his own moveset.

Lucina can be an alternate costume for Marth and/or an assist. My personal opinion

Either

A. Make Chrom and Lucina a tag team, which would not only be a shout out to the pair up system in Awakening, but would also make them stand out.

or

B. Screw importance, and pick a more unique character from Awakening, or any FE.

But remember that in Brawl, we got three Star Fox characters with similar B moves, but different A moves. And LANDMASTER!

Personally, as much as I like Lucina and like female fighters, her look is best left to a Marth costume/makeover. She could be in as a trophy but her visual similarity to Marth is so high except the long hair. Considering she graces the cover of all the extra Awakening material without the disguise I don't actually think Nintendo considers Lucina a spoiler anymore though.