Rescue or Pair Up

Jotari

I liked Rescue better. Pair Up is way too overpowered; it doesn't really have any drawbacks.

Rescue was nice because it let you do some cool rescue-give/take-drop chains (a dancer makes it even more fun), it let you take care of weak/dumb NPCs, and it served as a failsafe in case you screwed up with unit positioning. Pair Up gives the player way too many advantages.

I don't know, Rescue just seems more... strategic, I guess? Overpowered mechanics don't really leave much room for strategy.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rescue doesn't add to the game. It lets you get away with poor placement when there should be major consequences. With the pair up system you have to plan ahead and think things through. In fact it adds more depth in thinking about the placement of units corresponding to others.

Some people say its overpowered but that's not true. The enemies and maps are strengthened to compensate. If you still disagree, then kick of the difficulty and quite grinding.

Edited by Ruarik

I don't grind and my Paired Up Sumia soloed the game

What gives?

on Lunatic+?

bullshit

technically Sumia couldn't solo the game even if she started by capping all her stats, she doesn't exist in the first few chapters

Edited by shadykid

Rescue doesn't add to the game. It lets you get away with poor placement when there should be major consequences. With the pair up system you have to plan ahead and think things through. In fact it adds more depth in thinking about the placement of units corresponding to others.

Some people say its overpowered but that's not true. The enemies and maps are strengthened to compensate. If you still disagree, then kick of the difficulty and quite grinding.

Pair Up is totally overpowered; while the inclusion of a high number of strong enemies renders many of your combat units impractical, it also has the effect of causing your good units to grow very strong in a short period of time. You don't even need the Avatar to make this apparent; the game has been beaten on Lunatic without grinding, and without stars like Avatar, Panne, and Nowi, just because force-feeding a million kills to even the average units (Sully, Lon'qu) has the effect of making them rather good.

Old-school Rescue has many uses beyond "avoiding consequences." It is extremely important in efficient play to get the Lord in position for a quick seize, for example.

I don't like Rescue because of the Skill/Speed drop. 8U Pair-up is the greatest thing to happen, so I am sincerely hoping it stays. Though I don't see why both can't be implemented somehow.

Pair Up is awesome! I'd love to see it come back! It made building supports much easier and less painful than before and the stat boosting is really nice. But it DOES need a little more balancing.

Rescue doesn't add to the game. It lets you get away with poor placement when there should be major consequences.

if you're playing for a low turn clear then it kind of doesn't and in fact is the cause for some of those major consequences you speak of Edited by CT075

are you sure that you didn't switch "rescue" and "pair up" in these sentences

are you sure that you didn't switch "rescue" and "pair up" in these sentences

Yes. Rescue lets you take back a move by replacing a weak character with one of your overpowered ones. With pair up you cannot do that. Once you place a character, they will be in that spot receiving whatever blows you positioned them to receive unless you use a rescue staff or a lot of units to make a wall. That's how it should be; unforgiving.

How is using a buyable Rescue staff any different when it comes to "avoiding consequences?" Both old-school Rescuing and buyable Rescues obviously allow for people to undo their mistakes, but they also also for good players to do clever things.

The old-school Rescue command at least required some thought to use well (getting the Lord in position to seize, or the boss-killer in position to KO), and had some drawbacks (lower stats, which isn't a problem if you're turtling, but which makes you think about positioning to avoid getting mauled on the EP).

Pair Up has no such drawbacks. Every map in Awakening is "durr kill all da enemies with your superpairs."

What's wrong with avoiding consequences and not restarting a whole chapter because of it?

Fire Emblem is supposed to be played for enjoyment, not just for getting punished for mistakes.

Edited by Chiki

I kind of wish both functions were in the game. Rescue helped a lot in training up weak units, but Pair Up is overpowered as shit. There's no reason to not use it. You can make leaps across the battlefield by having units piggy back on another unit, moving again, and switching to attack. There are so many benefits.

I'd say Pair Up, though I like Rescue a little bit better.

How is using a buyable Rescue staff any different when it comes to "avoiding consequences?" Both old-school Rescuing and buyable Rescues obviously allow for people to undo their mistakes, but they also also for good players to do clever things.

The old-school Rescue command at least required some thought to use well (getting the Lord in position to seize, or the boss-killer in position to KO), and had some drawbacks (lower stats, which isn't a problem if you're turtling, but which makes you think about positioning to avoid getting mauled on the EP).

Pair Up has no such drawbacks. Every map in Awakening is "durr kill all da enemies with your superpairs."

If you're blazing through a map with a "superpair" your units are already powerful enough to take on the map with ease. You probably don't need the pair up system to do it. Its in difficult maps that the complications shine. The early lunatic maps come to mind. While rescue is there to primarily undo your mistakes, the pair up system adds more depth to combat. You get a more powerful pair when paired up but you also lose to ability to attack with both. Its a more defensive stance while rescue is either "oh shit, I didn't think things through" or "I'm gunna transport this guy across the map".

One of my rules for my lunatic run was that Frederick was not allowed to ever be declared the map hero. I can tell you those first 6 maps were a hell lot of fun and extremely hard. I had to thoroughly plan out my actions and the pair up system added more possibilities, although it was not always the best choice. It would not have been that engaging if it were not for the pair up system. Rescue really would not have depend the experience.

If you're blazing through a map with a "superpair" your units are already powerful enough to take on the map with ease. You probably don't need the pair up system to do it.

No matter how skilled you are, you definitely need to use Pair Up at some point to survive Lunatic if you're not grinding just because the enemies have such high stats. When it comes to lowering your turncounts and/or increasing your reliability, Lunatic mode in Awakening heavily favors having strong superpairs over fielding team of evenly trained units.

Its in difficult maps that the complications shine. The early lunatic maps come to mind. While rescue is there to primarily undo your mistakes, the pair up system adds more depth to combat.

Pair Up simply means that the enemies need to be stronger to compensate. That is it. Your argument is rejected for not specifying what this "depth" entails.

You get a more powerful pair when paired up but you also lose to ability to attack with both. Its a more defensive stance while rescue is either "oh shit, I didn't think things through" or "I'm gunna transport this guy across the map".

Lunatic earlygame has a heavy emphasis on the enemy phase. I assure you that you will not miss having both Fred and Sumia attack during the player phase since Sumia explodes to anything if she's unpaired. Assuming an efficient playthrough that continues with premature boss-kills going into the later stages, you simply cannot make it even on player phase victories without Pair Up since the enemy stats are so high. Making your units Pair Up is simply a no-brainer.

You clearly haven't played the earlier games very carefully if you believe that transporting the Lord or the boss-killer while maintaining low turncounts is always going to be trivial. Rescue has clear drawbacks, while Pair Up only hurts you if you're going for a non-Galeforce, two-turn clear of Paralogue 17; there do not exist any other stages where avoiding Pair Up improves reliability.

One of my rules for my lunatic run was that Frederick was not allowed to ever be declared the map hero. I can tell you those first 6 maps were a hell lot of fun and extremely hard. I had to thoroughly plan out my actions and the pair up system added more possibilities, although it was not always the best choice. It would not have been that engaging if it were not for the pair up system. Rescue really would not have depend the experience.

This is trivial with a +Def Avatar. Unless you're going to tell me you didn't rely on Pair Up combined with an enemy-phase heavy strategy, this only confirms the necessity of Pair Up in Lunatic for the sake of jacking up your numbers. There is no downside given how strong the enemies are throughout.

Edited by Redwall

If you're blazing through a map with a "superpair" your units are already powerful enough to take on the map with ease. You probably don't need the pair up system to do it.

What exactly do you mean by this?

A superpair like the Avatar and Frederick can solo earlygame, but the Avatar can't solo earlygame without Frederick. You need the pair up system in order to do this.

Edited by Chiki

Rescue isn't just used for mistakes. Even aside from ferrying units I often plan my rescues so one character can take out an enemy unit and then be rescued so they're just outside of enemy attack range. Rescue can be used very strategically if your figuring it into your game plan. Especially when canto is involved.

While rescue is there to primarily undo your mistakes, the pair up system adds more depth to combat. You get a more powerful pair when paired up but you also lose to ability to attack with both. Its a more defensive stance while rescue is either "oh shit, I didn't think things through" or "I'm gunna transport this guy across the map".

rescuing to undo mistakes is so 2007

No matter how skilled you are, you definitely need to use Pair Up at some point to survive Lunatic if you're not grinding just because the enemies have such high stats. When it comes to lowering your turncounts and/or increasing your reliability, Lunatic mode in Awakening heavily favors having strong superpairs over fielding team of evenly trained units.

I assume he meant that if Pair Up didn't exist, the game would have been rebalanced to favor the same god units

I never even used Rescue to fix a mistake once in my recorded FE10 playthrough.

Same, and even then how does it harm the system itself? If you mess up you simply have to come up with a different strategy all together, and you'll still have to think. It really only helps Rescue's case IMO, since it basically proves that you can work around mistakes rather than having a strict policy meaning that if your 85% move missed you're screwed. It honestly doesn't hurt to be adaptable.

Edited by Quick

Rescue! I hated Pair-Up for the sheer fact that Pair-Up doesn't save a unit. There are times where a unit is in danger and I wish I could rescue them. Of course, my favorite SS units are Cormag and Vanessa.

the point of recorded playthroughs is that they don't have mistakes

A lot of my videos have mistakes. The strategies are not so inflexible that you can't vary one or two moves.