What's your favourite Mario series?

Knight

Favourite Mario?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. It's a me, Mario!

• Super Mario Bros. (side scroller platformer)
    • 3D Mario (64, Sunshine, Galaxy, etc.)
    • Mario Party
    • Mario Kart
    • Mario Sports
    • Mario RPG (includes Mario & Luigi series)
    • Paper Mario
    • Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Mario has been everywhere, Nintendo's little mascot has invaded more genres than any other franchise, and I think each of them provide quite a variety. What's your favourite Mario series, I personally like the RPG series, they're quite entertaining and comical. If I've missed anything than notify me.

EDIT: Thank you :)

Edited by Knight

You missed the Mario & Luigi series. Unless you are throwing them together with Super Mario Rpg. Edit: You are. I just noticed

I love me some classic 2-D Mario sidescrolling action. Even though Paper Mario comes really close. I'm gonna have to vote the old school answer

Edited by Jedi

I love the Paper Mario games, and TTYD is my favorite Mario game, but I'm going with the other Mario RPGs because the Mario & Luigi series is just...wow. Best handheld games by far.

Shouldn't the Paper Mario series be under the Mario RPGs?

As for the poll, I like the 3D Mario games the best. They're not to long and they have fun gameplay. The RPG games area close second.

Paper Mario isn't made by the same people that make Mario & Luigi and stuff though, I think.

Anyway, since I find the SMG games to be absolute masterpieces, I voted 3D Mario. I really love Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and the SMB series too though.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is right behind SMG and SMG2 though. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Shouldn't the Paper Mario series be under the Mario RPGs?

As for the poll, I like the 3D Mario games the best. They're not to long and they have fun gameplay. The RPG games area close second.

Paper Mario isn't made by the same people that make Mario & Luigi and stuff though, I think.

Paper Mario is our very own Intelligent Systems and M&L is AlphaDream so you are correct.

Then again Super Mario RPG was Nintendo-Squaresoft so I dno. It would be odd to split up further though

Edited by Jedi

I vote 3D. There hasn't been a 3D Mario game that hasn't amazed me (although Galaxy 2 amazed me slightly less than Galaxy 1).

All except Sports and DK

Paper Mario loses out a bit because I didn't like Super and didn't bother with Sticker Star since I heard it's very different. Kart and Party are fun but really I only play them multiplayer after I unlock everything. Sports I've only played Golf on GCN and original Tennis, both of which I liked, but meh. And never played the DK ones, except the original if that counts...

My top 3 would be 3D, RPG, and side scrollers. Side scrollers might be the nostalgia factor kicking in since I don't like the newer ones as much. 3D are always a blast. I think RPG slightly stands out for me because of the humour and playing with plot a bit more than your typical Mario game.

Edited by Owain Dark

Side scroller because Mario 3 and World. The "New" series, as much as I like them, are kinda becoming stagnant unfortunantly. Though I'm not gonna be like everyone else and hold it against a game when it doesn't revolutionize things. I think people just expect Mario to revolutionize things everytime anymore. If the game is fun it's not really a big deal is it? I just don't want it to get Call of Duty fever and pump out a million entrees to the series with minimal changes.

Pretty lame that there isn't an 'All of the above' option. Pretty lame. I can't single one out since I usually enjoy Mario games. By the way it's 'It's-a me, Mario!'.

Pretty lame that there isn't an 'All of the above' option. Pretty lame. I can't single one out since I usually enjoy Mario games. By the way it's 'It's-a me, Mario!'.

I actually am going to second this. I have had a blast with them all at some point or another.

I liked playing New Super Mario Bros. with my brothers, and it's the only Mario game I've beaten besides Mario Party 7, so I guess 2D.

But if Super Smash Bros. was on the list, I'd vote it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Refa

Side scroller because Mario 3 and World. The "New" series, as much as I like them, are kinda becoming stagnant unfortunantly. Though I'm not gonna be like everyone else and hold it against a game when it doesn't revolutionize things. I think people just expect Mario to revolutionize things everytime anymore. If the game is fun it's not really a big deal is it? I just don't want it to get Call of Duty fever and pump out a million entrees to the series with minimal changes.

Have you played New Super Mario Bros. U? (Demo stations don't count since you don't get to experience the full game) The level design is a lot more dynamic and exciting than the previous 2D Mario games, with a much higher enemy density and floors and level elements moving and shifting a lot compared to previous games. The Challenge Mode also adds quite a lot more to the game, with some pretty intense challenges with varying objectives (getting killed by collecting coins or harming any enemy is a big change of pace). I haven't even got gold on all the challenges yet, despite getting the game at launch.

Also, I doubt it's ever going to become Call of Duty bad. At least they're sticking with one installment per console, similar to Mario Kart, and at least Mario covers a lot of game genres and isn't always 2D sidescrolling.

Have you played New Super Mario Bros. U? (Demo stations don't count since you don't get to experience the full game) The level design is a lot more dynamic and exciting than the previous 2D Mario games, with a much higher enemy density and floors and level elements moving and shifting a lot compared to previous games. The Challenge Mode also adds quite a lot more to the game, with some pretty intense challenges with varying objectives (getting killed by collecting coins or harming any enemy is a big change of pace). I haven't even got gold on all the challenges yet, despite getting the game at launch.

Also, I doubt it's ever going to become Call of Duty bad. At least they're sticking with one installment per console, similar to Mario Kart, and at least Mario covers a lot of game genres and isn't always 2D sidescrolling.

Oh yeah? Sounds cool. I don't have a Wii U or a friend who has one so I've not played it. I'm not sure if it's worth buying a Wii U for but I look forward to playing it. Wii U is really desperate for games that make it worth the purchase so hopefully they'll come soon.

Yeah, I guess they wouldn't get to that stage COD is in right now. Nintendo seems to know that change is needed and they can't rely solely on a single formula to save them. I guess I'm just letting NSMB2 (the last of the series I've played so far) get to me as it didn't feel as fresh as others in the series. NSMB was a lond awaited return to 2-D side scrolling, NSMBWii had 4 player co op, and NSMB2 had..... coins. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, but it doesn't distinguish itself like the others.