Nayr's Sprite Station

Nayr Farros

Yeah as everyone knows, eCut locked my old one due to an excessive influx of drama and bullshit.

To prevent that happening again, first I'll say that I have several people blocked/ignored now(wish I'd noticed this board had that sooner) so they will not be able to speak to me as their posts are invisible on my side.

For anybody else, I'll be blunt. If you don't have anything nice or truly constructive to say, don't say anything. And if you try to mix snark or lulz into the cnc, I'll listen to it even less than I normally do. My tolerance for it is near zero at this point.

Now let's get started. I made this just this afternoon and parts of it turned out very well to my eye, and some parts(like the hair, nose, and maybe the eyes) still need some tweaks.

Alan_zpsdf1530e6.png

As is obvious, I made this based on Alan's official art.

I've also got some other things I want to do later, so updates may not be right away or frequent.

Edited by Nayr Farros

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noted. I should have made the neck thinner in the first place, my bad. On the near side it only looks that way because his head is turning(his neck on that side began one pixel after the outline on his chin ends.)

As for the shadows thing. I'll try adding some more of tone #3 around the near side of the collar.

Don't want to lower the head anymore because the jaw will be cut off by the metal collar. Think I have an alternative way of fixing that though.

Also eCut, if you're not too busy, could you do a ref edit for the hair for me to use? You do hair nicely on your sprites and right now Alan's hair is a messy splice of Ephraim, Roland, Raven, Matthew, Lloyd, and Jerme.

By the way Nayr, you know how trolls would make fun of your mugs for all having the same face? This mug doesn't come close to having the same problem. Keep that up.

Since I'm actually in a skype chat with those "trolls", that have admitted that this work is quite the improvement from your previous works.

Is today opposite day or am I being punk'd?

I make a sprite everybody likes(even my trolls), and I'M the one seeing a major problem with it. That problem being the hair.

Update btw, since I have a link on my clipboard.

Alan_zps70f0063a.png

Fixed the neck issues(I think), it's shorter and more shadow is added.

I also slightly tweaked the eyes(irises looked square), and added a little more depth to the left pauldron.

Edited by Nayr Farros

It looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

This'd be nice for FE6A too, if you were thinking of submitting it.

Don't want to lower the head anymore because the jaw will be cut off by the metal collar. Think I have an alternative way of fixing that though.

Also eCut, if you're not too busy, could you do a ref edit for the hair for me to use? You do hair nicely on your sprites and right now Alan's hair is a messy splice of Ephraim, Roland, Raven, Matthew, Lloyd, and Jerme.

Yeah sure, I can try!

I think this is definitely a nice sprite. The one thing I can see as a potential fix is that the third hair shade doesn't contrast enough with the rest of the hair (it took me a few moments to actually spot said shade), so darkening it a tad may help.

@Eclipse: I have different sets of red in the hair and armor. Six colors total. And to be creative, I mixed colors from the sets in the eyes.

@Hamlet: It was darker originally, but it kept showing up more than the outline itself, so I had to dull it a bit.

Edited by Nayr Farros

It looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

This'd be nice for FE6A too, if you were thinking of submitting it.

Well that was the plan, more or less.(Char had an Alan I suggested to Kitty, but he seems to be AWOL and I think he lost it during a HD failure. So I decided to make my own) And if it does turn out well, I'll probably do Lance too(provided Kitty doesn't mind it looking like his official art)

Yaaaaay, you're finally making big improvements.

Well I admittedly took a few shortcuts on this one. I scaled a crop of the armor(what would show up on a sprite) on the official artwork to same width as original Alan's armor, then traced/colored over it, and shaded it in. For the head, I spliced the faceline and jawline from Artur(an FE7 shaded edit I have) and Wil(they were the best matches for the shape) and customed the brows/eyes/nose/mouth, and slapped on Sain's ear.

For the hair, I picked pieces that would fit together to best recreate the look of the OA's hair, then edited it all together. Which is why its the weakest part of the sprite. And something I aim to fix.

Once I get that fixed, I think it'll be safe to move ahead to formatting.

Well I admittedly took a few shortcuts on this one. I scaled a crop of the armor(what would show up on a sprite) on the official artwork to same width as original Alan's armor, then traced/colored over it, and shaded it in. For the head, I spliced the faceline and jawline from Artur(an FE7 shaded edit I have) and Wil(they were the best matches for the shape) and customed the brows/eyes/nose/mouth, and slapped on Sain's ear.

For the hair, I picked pieces that would fit together to best recreate the look of the OA's hair, then edited it all together. Which is why its the weakest part of the sprite. And something I aim to fix.

Once I get that fixed, I think it'll be safe to move ahead to formatting.

I think everyone here takes shortcut sometimes anyway, so don't worry

As for the sprite, it's pretty decent. But I think there are some spots you could improve. Like the yellow triangle thingie on the armor, it's rather rough and flat.

There's also that one strand of hair, here:

d079f6aaa795da009bd4adae0772a1b5.png

And the straight nose that sticks out too much. At least to me.

(I have problem with straight nose, orz)

@KoT: Okay, good to know. Since you're implementing Hasha stuff, I figured I should check about Lance, because he uses his FE6 game likeness, rather than his official art.

@Amelia: Once I get eCut's ref edit, the hair will be getting a significant overhaul. As for the nose, Vamp called it out for being round(he has a thing about round tips). But I just followed what it looked like in the artwork, more or less. I might play around with it some to see what I can do tho.

Thank you eCut! You are a goddess among spriters. :p

Alan-2_zps3231acc2.png

Made some adjustments to eCut's ref edit on the hair and I think it looks really nice now.(As good as the original Alan's was bad.)

So, anything else people would like to point out before I move on to formatting/chibi'ing?

Send me a ref of what kind of colors you want and I'll see if I can make adjustments.

As it is, the sprite uses saturated forms of colors taken from the OA.

I'm easy to reach on Skype too if you have one. My screen name is greynayr23.

k, i'll take a look when I finish outlining the armor from Lance's OA.

Edit; You know, this is actually the second time I've attempted to remake Lance based on his OA.

A year.. maybe two ago(when the old FEUniverse was still around) I made this as part of a contest.

Lanceedit_zps67f51b7e.png

Let's hope it turns out better this time around. :p

Edited by Nayr Farros