4. 4. Aegis or Pavise?

• Aegis
    • Pavise
    • Neither
  5. 5. Lifetaker or Renewal?

• Lifetaker
    • Renewal
    • Neither

I came up with the idea for this thread for a while ago, but wasn't sure if it was really a good idea due to situations or just general hate toward polls for some reason.

If there's a particular reason you don't like the idea, post in the thread. I'll discontinue the thread if there are an overwhelming amount of "No"s.

I plan on adding a new round or question daily, so check back on the thread for updates, but after 5 or so I'll have to start a new thread because of question limits.

[PLEASE READ]

Every day I'll add a new section to the poll, so you will have to delete your original answer and redo the poll including the new question if you wish to vote for it. Sorry if there are any problems to this with mobile devices or something.

Rules: (subject to change)

-The skills are based on the game play of the skill, and which is better in most situations in which they are both usable by the same character. (Don't factor Stahl into Luna-Ignis arguments) Unless I say differently, availability can be used as an argument. I'll say so in the thread if there is an exception.

-Proc. rates ARE factored in, but base it only on the raw numbers, not on a character's skill or luck. (People who use Astra typically have higher skill, but it technically activates as much as Aether)

-Bias can be talked about in the forum, but don't let it influence a decision as much as possible.(Sol looks stupid, and therefore Sol is a stupid skill)

-If a skill "plays nice" with other skills, that can be taken into consideration, but keep the focus on the said skill. (Don't go nuts with X+Galeforce is good stuff)

-Rightful King can be used as an argument point, regardless.

-Skills are based on Fire Emblem: Awakening situations only. (Sol doesn't do 3x damage)

-No general difficulty or game setting such as hard or lunatic mode, but stuff like "Lethality is better in Luna+ Streetpass teams" is kinda iffy.

-Assume all Streetpass and DLC features are available.

Round 1: Ignis vs. Luna

007.pngIgnis: Adds (Magic)/2 to Strength when dealing physical damage and (Strength)/2 to Magic when dealing magical damage. Activation: [skillstat]% Grandmaster Lv. 5

013.pngLuna: Ignores half the enemy's Defense or Resistance. Activation: [skillstat]% Great Knight Lv. 5

Edited by Melonhead

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luna has a better availability as well as playing to your strong points. If your say a beserker attacking a general Luna will help your physical damage increase where as ignis wouldn't be as major do to low magic on average.

I voted Luna, if only because Ignis is such an exclusive skill that only two people at the very least (excluding DLC characters of course) can learn it. Luna has a far broader range of wielders, and is a useful skill to boot - its effectiveness on Generals and Great Knights is astounding. Granted, the skill's true potential isn't exploited well enough to be appreciated in Normal mode as rarely anyone's defense is high enough to do significant damage, but on a higher difficulty it truly gets a chance to shine - or considering how the skill looks - sparkle. XD

Can't wait for the Galeforce thread.

I'm voting Luna. Considering it has more availability.

The higher the DEF of the opponent, the bigger the boost in damage. Ignis gives a huge boost if your corresponding magic/strength stat is high, which with the Avatar is pretty much guaranteed, but it has that availability factor that seals my vote.

While Ignis is generally a great skill for the characters that have it, Luna is a bit better in the non-normal difficulties, and doesn't have to rely on a stat that is possibly much more inferior or unused.

Defense caps tend to be higher than the 40/50* caps a Grandmaster has, especially on generals.

*Limit breaker

EDIT: ^I'm not sure how I'm gonna do a galeforce thread, I'd have to get a skill that is similar to it or available to the same general people.

Edited by Melonhead

Luna hands down. Ignis has a max of 3 users if you don't use DLC/Streetpass/Spotpass characters, and it's usefulness depends on the class you're in and your asset/flaw. It works best if you have fairly even amounts of str and mag and is in a hybrid class, but this is not going to be the case for every MU. I usually play GK MU during the storyline with STR+ RES- and Ignis would add a max of 9 damage (19 mag cap lol). That's not exactly much. This also applies to people who run, say, +MAG -STR Sorcerers. Luna doesn't care. Luna applies to whatever stat you're hitting and halves that, and more characters can use it, and even adds damage scalable to the defensive stat you're hitting. Ignis's usefulness is dependent on too many variables but Luna can be slapped on basically anyone who can get it and made useful in any class. Unless you already oneshot everyone vanilla but that's not happening much if at all on the higher difficulties.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Can't wait for the Galeforce thread.

I'm voting Luna. Considering it has more availability.

The higher the DEF of the opponent, the bigger the boost in damage. Ignis gives a huge boost if your corresponding magic/strength stat is high, which with the Avatar is pretty much guaranteed, but it has that availability factor that seals my vote.

I can think of two reasons why not to get excited about that.

And the first one is that I ran out of popcorn. How I am supposed to kick back and enjoy that debate properly without popcorn?

Edited by Vashiane

I can think of two reasons why not to get excited about that.

And the first one is that I ran out of popcorn. How I am supposed to kick back and enjoy that debate properly without popcorn?

Simple order a pizza and break open a six pack Edited by Randa

I don't see how Luna is winning this one. Granted it is more available, but that doesn't mean it is better as a skill. Ignis completely wrecks everything once MU caps both Str and Mag. Also, Luna will probably never matter that much considering how broken Dual Strike is.

My vote goes to Ignis, personally.

Luna's "advantage" in availability translates to about one or two extra points of damage due to the low Def earlygame enemies have. By the time enemies have enough Def to make Luna meaningful, Frederick will have fallen off.

Luna's "advantage" in availability translates to about one or two extra points of damage due to the low Def earlygame enemies have. By the time enemies have enough Def to make Luna meaningful, Frederick will have fallen off.

Other people besides Frederick can get Luna, remember? Chrom, for example, who's pretty much force-deployed in every chapter of the game.

Other people besides Frederick can get Luna, remember? Chrom, for example, who's pretty much force-deployed in every chapter of the game.

I think he means by the fact that Luna is available at the start of the game, and Ignis isn't.

Try to not turn this into a galeforce debate thread, that will come when it comes

why would Chrom be going Great Knight ingame (yuck)

Luna and Dual Guard+ are good skills, not to mention his defense is quite amazing in that class, considering my Chrom is far from gaining the title "Lord of the Dance". Think that Second Seal removed his ability to dodge.

Ah, right. Although if you grind the Avatar enough and have the RNG bless you with a Master seal, you can get Ignis fairly early on. It's luck-based, yes, but doable.

Edited by Vashiane

I think what other people mean by availability is that it's not locked to about 3 characters max, and not availability in time

Like Stahl and Sully can get GK reasonably midgame and they're good for the entire run and if you're using Kellam he can get it too on promo

Ignis is also not guaranteed to be good on any MU. It's largely dependent on how you play your MU's A/F and class

I remember having a Hero MU (18Tact/10GM/??Hero) around midgame on my HM nogrind first run and Ignis was pretty useless 'cuz I had about 11 mag tops and it got lower when I finished Hero and went GK

Meanwhile Luna plays beautifully to my strong stat where I had ~48 strength by the time I got it

GK Chrom in the backseat is great
supplies STR, DEF, and MOV

especially the MOV

Edited by Thor Odinson

Luna and Dual Guard+ are good skills, not to mention his defense is quite amazing in that class, considering my Chrom is far from gaining the title "Lord of the Dance". Think that Second Seal removed his ability to dodge.

Ah, right. Although if you grind the Avatar enough and have the RNG bless you with a Master seal, you can get Ignis fairly early on. It's luck-based, yes, but doable.

ingame, Chrom is either going to be a Great Lord, or he'll reclass to Paladin (which gives amazing bonuses as a support bot)

also only Pelleas is the Lord of the Dance, of course he's far from it

I think he means by the fact that Luna is available at the start of the game, and Ignis isn't.

^yep.

Anyway, more thoughts on Luna:

(Normal/Hard)

Sully should be reclassed to Wyvern Rider for Avoid-stacking (Outdoor Fighter, Tantivy, Quick Burn), so she shouldn't be getting Luna anyway.

Fred should be ORKOing earlygame enemies with or without Luna, and by the midgame, you should have other characters trained.

Stahl can use Luna well, but he'll get it about the same time your Avatar gets Ignis, and the Avatar will generally trigger Ignis more often due to higher Skl.

(Lunatic)

Sully and Stahl are usable, but shouldn't be used.

Fred benefits a little from Luna in the earlygame, then falls off sharply once promoted enemies appear, so by that time, Luna becomes useless.

ingame, Chrom is either going to be a Great Lord, or he'll reclass to Paladin (which gives amazing bonuses as a support bot)

also only Pelleas is the Lord of the Dance, of course he's far from it

Hmm. He does rather well as a Great Knight for me, so either I'm lucky or I'm an idiot and it hasn't hit me yet.

I do like Paladin!Chrom though. Aegis is nice. :)

No seriously, I think Anna enjoys screwing with him. I distinctly remember him getting Luna'd by a General with a 10% hit chance.

I am quite fond of Ignis which I find to be one of the most useful skills with my avatar and Morgan, both of which have high magic and strength. Luna is quite good due to the general availability and the ability to take down high-def units with non-armorslaying units.

I voted for Ignis though due to my just general love for its animation and everything.

I am quite fond of Ignis which I find to be one of the most useful skills with my avatar and Morgan, both of which have high magic and strength. Luna is quite good due to the general availability and the ability to take down high-def units with non-armorslaying units.

I voted for Ignis though due to my just general love for its animation and everything.

Because you know what better than sakura petals? Sakura petals on FIRE!

The animation is truly beautiful, yes, but I'll admit to be a sucker for sparkles.

Because you know what better than sakura petals? Sakura petals on FIRE!

The animation is truly beautiful, yes, but I'll admit to be a sucker for sparkles.

Inigo with Ignis seems fitting here

not a bad choice, Rey