5. 5. Lifetaker or Renewal?

• Lifetaker
    • Renewal
    • Neither

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing a lot of availability-based arguments being made ("without Spotpass/DLC, you can only get a maximum of 3 units with Ignis", etc.), so I'm wondering something...

I thought this meant that availability isn't to be factored into decisions?

Looking back on the rule, it's a bit strange, I'll probably really enforce that in situations where availability is having one at a serious disadvantage (i.e Conqueror vs. Iote's Shield)

Something I forgot to add: Assume all DLC and Spotpass is available, I'll go into some DLC skills a bit.

Now Ignis is winning.

How did that happen?

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!!!

In all seriousness, I feel that a skill's distribution should have an effect on my decision.

And there's no skill better distributed than Luna (and Dual Guard+)

Ignis does get points for being given to the one unit that makes good use of it. (Though ignis is pretty lousy on kids like Yarne and Gerome)

ROUND 2

(Sorry these aren't in the original post, that could get too long, and I don't know how else to do this)

Astra vs. Aether

021.pngAstra: Deals 5 consecutive hits with half damage. All separate attacks can still miss or critical. ([skillstat]%)/2 Swordmaster Lv. 5

003.pngAether: Attack twice consecutively, with the first strike having a Sol effect and the second strike having a Luna effect. Separate attacks can still critical. ([skillstat]%)/2 Great Lord Lv. 5

Rule changes: Availability can be used as an argument, assume all DLC and spotpass is available.

-

Both of these skills are pretty dangerous on crit builds, with Astra getting a potential of 7.5x damage on ONE hit. Aether has at least 2x damage, but also has a normal Sol and Luna effect. While I admit I have some bias towards Astra (which also has better availability) Aether is the winner here.

Edited by Melonhead

damn, if the cutoff for voting was like 5 minutes earlier my vote switch to Ignis would've put it on top :(:

I guess I failed to tip the scales

(I guess technically it still is going though...)

Edited by shadykid

For the first part of the Astra vs Aether debate, Astra is the one with most damage potential (2.5X Normal if all hits connect, 7.5 if crit) but Aether is two hits that allow you to Nofatank and get an added hit of Luna, also effectively doing around 2.5 times the damage. However, there are less critical chances with Aether. Astra also has the problem of halving attack and make the combo ineffective if certain attacks are met with defense skills or dodges, as well as rounding down for the halved attack power. Beyond the availability debate, Aether tends to allow for more survivability. Aether wins (just barely, and i still like Astra a lot).

And posting too slow gets me the prize of looking awkward by repeating things.

Edited by Only My Unit

damn, if the cutoff for voting was like 5 minutes earlier my vote switch to Ignis would've put it on top :(:

I guess I failed to tip the scales

(I guess technically it still is going though...)

The results aren't final, Although I don't want people changing their vote just to be trolls. If you see differently due to what's been said in the forum, fine, but don't hop on the bandwagon or anything.

(If anyone's curious, I will right down the results just as the next round starts: It was actually a tie at 37 votes for Ignis and Luna.)

Aether for sure. Astra has more damage potential overall but you get absolutely destroyed by Counter and on the very, very high defense enemies, can actually work against you due to how it rounds. Aether also nets you HP back, and usually I find self-healing > damage.

As for Ignis and Luna, I personally prefer Ignis because it's more consistent damage. But I like both Luna and Ignis more than Astra, due to the higher proc rates despite the lower damage potential.

Edited by Samias

The results aren't final, Although I don't want people changing their vote just to be trolls. If you see differently due to what's been said in the forum, fine, but don't hop on the bandwagon or anything.

(If anyone's curious, I will right down the results just as the next round starts: It was actually a tie at 37 votes for Ignis and Luna.)

your rules don't rate availability that highly, and I already said Ignis>Luna for the units that have it

I was just waiting for the right time to switch (apparently it kinda sorta worked?)

Edited by shadykid

Astra may do more potential damage overall and have more users, but Aether packs a Luna AND a Sol for half their activation rate which means pretty good damage anyway and some heals. Can't go wrong with some heals.

I mean if Aether was a pure damage skill I'd put Astra over it but

heals

Edited by Thor Odinson

Swordfaire vs Axefaire vs Lancefaire vs Bowfaire vs Tomefaire

do all 5 at once, let's see how each one FAIRES (lol bad puns)

I've got that on the list. Same with the rallies, breakers, and +2/HP+5 skills.

For me, it really just depends on circumstance. If we're talking about potential, Astra takes my vote simply because you can activate and sup-activate sol/luna over the astra activation-- not to mention have the chance to crit on each attack individually. You know that 1.5x damage you're talking about? potentially, the astra activation could net for MUCH more and depending on the base damage could turn an unastounding 16 damage into a lethal attack-- on consecutive crits alone.

If we're talking about white room the characters are only outfitted with the skill, Aether wins hands down.

I've got that on the list. Same with the rallies, breakers, and +2/HP+5 skills.

A good idea would be Faire's vs Aggressor since I often have have problems deciding which to go with.

-Faire=+5 to the corresponding equipped weapon. Aggressor/Quick Slash= 10 fun points on the player phase. Decent buff for every round protection or bursts of death and whimsy?

Side Note: Demon Fighter, why U no unisex? :LyonEvil:

Edited by Only My Unit

-Faire=+5 to the corresponding equipped weapon. Aggressor/Quick Slash= 10 fun points on the player phase. Decent buff for every round protection or bursts of death and whimsy?

yeah but you can't exactly go "all -faire skills vs Aggressor"

well I guess you technically could, but it's pretty out there

the more Galeforce, the better Aggressor is, but only 3-4 guys get both anyway

Edited by shadykid

All the Faire skills are the same. Why not? And before you say anything about Lancefaire being female exclusive- Camus.

Lightning Speed + Quick Slash + Life Absorb= Sweep

....wait a sec I just realized this is a DLC skill AND spotpass characters

....ok then

(also really, couldn't use a single English skill name)

Edited by shadykid

There a couple of core flaws in this system and reasons why you should not be comparing and contrasting skills in this manner to look for their pros and cons.

First of all, each skill has it's own situation where it may or not may not be more effective that the other.

For example, (STR)Luna will be more effective against a General with high DEF than Ignis is, but Ignis will be more effective against a target with a large amount of HP and a small amount of DEF than Luna is.

The thread is currently trying to compare and contrast skills without factoring stats into the calculations such as the skill user and the target, which as most of you probably already know, can be fatal in-game.

Second of all, skill availability is not much of an issue once the player gets to the point of having grinding available through Reeking Boxes and DLC, which occurs after completion of Chapter 4, therefore a vast majority of resources are available to the player early on in the game, and Spotpass allows players to obtain, for example, a ridiculously large amount of Ignis-brandishing units, so skill availability becomes a minor factor from that point on.

Lastly, skill combinations should come into play, if not in this thread then in another, because it's quite rare to find units in-game with, for example, only the Aether skill equipped, or Ignis alone, and so on. If the need to judge skills arises, it should be done in a realistic manner, not in a way with restrictions and rules that the game itself does not impose upon the player.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on this thread for future improvement.

Never coming back here again since I still think this thread is still ridiculously silly despite posting on it