Counter for Archers?

Laurent

If a specific archer unit has Counter and Pavise, would enemies with 1-2 range weapons (ie Tomahawk) attack from nearby as to avoid counterattack, or from 2 tiles away to avoid Counter and to cause more damage?

I'm pretty sure the AI doesn't take the counter skill into account and just goes for the usual archer "don't attack me back by being in your face", despite them taking any damage they deal back.

For my archer's build, Counter is a stupid skill; it only activates when its holder is melee damaged. However, I do not want my archer to get hit, I need him/her to either dodge or minimize the damage at anyway as possible.

As for fighting against AI, they don't care whatever skill your units have, they just want you dead.

Counter for an Archer is unoptimal. You shouldn't be putting them in positions where they'd get hit by melee attacks in the first place... and if you are you're using archers wrong, try again. Put stuff on them like Suna or Aggressor or Astra or something offensive. You don't so much need to be defensive if you use it right. I mean, pass wouldn't be such a bad idea either-- since freedom of movement is important for the range 2 locked.

I would only put Counter on offensive melee characters (not tanks), and mostly with other skills that trigger on enemy death (Lifetaker, Galeforce) that would benefit from extra damage dealt to the enemy by himself to kill those pests that have the myfavouriteweapon-breaker. They'd hit me almost for sure, and they'd suffer for it.