Fire Emblem: Re-coded (FE7 Hack, Alpha Version)

tacticianjenro

Fire Emblem: Re-coded (Updated June 8, 2013) -Alpha Version-

FE:Re-coded is an FE7 hack that modifies the storyline, maps, and characters. The tactician, a mysterious hooded existentialist, now plays a major role in the story. The main storyline revolves around the tactician, sent by the Defender to investigate on a change in activity going around Elibe's code. It turns out that there have been changes to the characters, the enemies, and a whole lot of other variables. As the group tactician, it is up to him to come up with tactical prowess, as well as to seek the outsider who has tampered Elibe's code.

The hack is still in alpha state. Only the prologue and some of Chapter 1 has been finished.

Although it would be a struggle to get this hack going since it is limited to the "flow" of FE7 (since I have yet to learn about event assembly). But I guess following through the original storyline but making changes is acceptable enough.

Hack features

- One-of-a-kind storyline, featuring the tactician with a major role

- Characterization, stats, terrain changes

- Difficulty/challenge hack

- New items, character stats, and maps

Screenshots:

FERecoded_4_2_01.pngFERecoded_4_2_02.png

FERecoded_4_2_03.pngFERecoded_4_2_04.png

Alpha Version (v0.02)

Download link here.

Right now, only the prologue map has been done and I have not yet removed the tutorials, so you would need the .sav that comes with the patch to play the game (Copy the .sav with the rom renamed to FERecoded.gba and when starting a new game choose Lyn Hard Mode)

Thanks to all of the comments so far. Still a long way to go before this hack could be considered complete.

I also implemented Alfred Kamon's suggestions from the comment below and have changed the Prologue map and dialogue entirely.
Edited by tacticianjenro

It all happens too quickly.

Who's the Defender?

Why does Lyn trust this hooded tactician so easily?

(he didn't even say he was a great tactician or something...)

Honestly if I were Lyn I wouldn't trust some hooded stranger who comes in my house and talks some nonsense which I don't understand.

From her perspective, it's unreal.

His character is interesting indeed, anyway. You should just make him less... sudden.

Having a Brigand who can 1HKO you makes the chapter totally luck-based. If you miss it you win, otherwise you lose.

This is not a challenge, since the results of the battle depend on fate and not on your own strategies.

I noticed that you can resist with 1-2HP if you put Lyn on a mountain tile, but for Batta?

Learning some basic event hacking can help you indeed. Don't be scared, it's simpler than how it seems.

That said, I think the idea is interesting (I love that tactician's palette and the "recoded" Batta's one!), you should just be careful not to rush things.

Good luck!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Thank you so much, @Alfred Kamon I understand everything, very constructive. I see, the prologue map is still a failure.

You are the first to comment so please have this watermelon pie.

watermelon-pie3.jpg

You a Kingdom Hearts fan?

Not really but I played a couple of KH games. I am aware that there is a KH game Re:coded.

So was the name inspired by that or something else? XD

Yeah, it was, somehow. :) I first thought of the idea from this fanfic I wrote, about an 'alternate world' that governs Elibe from somewhere, that the in-game characters don't know of, and that Elibe is only a program - where characters are limited to their specific roles.

And I thought it would be a good idea to have that in a hack and it's kind of...extraordinary, yeah.

Waah, watermelon pie! ** Thanks! XD

Anyway it's interesting indeed, this idea has potential. You can do so many things... like, having the "programmers" from this alternate dimension do weird things to your characters and not only to enemies, swap character personalities, fight the programmers, give them some nerdy speech, glitch a map and pretending it's part of the game (lol)... I'm sure you'll eventually come up with something good, so keep it up!

Waah, watermelon pie! ** Thanks! XD

Anyway it's interesting indeed, this idea has potential. You can do so many things... like, having the "programmers" from this alternate dimension do weird things to your characters and not only to enemies, swap character personalities, fight the programmers, give them some nerdy speech, glitch a map and pretending it's part of the game (lol)... I'm sure you'll eventually come up with something good, so keep it up!

Thank you! I'm glad you see some potential here.

I made an update and scratched the entire prologue script, changed the map, and the patch is now updated up to Chapter 1 (map only, no script yet).

Question:

why not just do custom events

then you would be able to disable tutorials

nor are they difficult

and you'd have a lot more freedom.

But how? :(

I haven't learned anything about custom events yet, and I'm not really sure how to start making one from scratch.

You're right though, I'd probably have some troubles if I follow through the original events.

It would be great if someone helped me out, just to get to the right direction...

But how? :(

I haven't learned anything about custom events yet, and I'm not really sure how to start making one from scratch.

You're right though, I'd probably have some troubles if I follow through the original events.

It would be great if someone helped me out, just to get to the right direction...

Here's the best place to start on event hacking (I'm going to assume you already have the tools to do so):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVY1YSwa4k0&list=PL9415C09C09562DC2

This right here is a playlist showing each step on how to do event hacking. Alternatively, you can also go here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21165

It might be a little outdated, but it works for me, so it might work for you. If you have any questions, just ask around, we don't bite.

• 3 weeks later...

Two things:

One - I may - MAY - be able to help with maps. If you want.

Two - This could help with events: http://tebrigade.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=Pages&pid=2.

If you do try custom events, beware of misplaced spaces and commas. (I'm learning how to do customs events too.)

Edited by BlueWyvern4