fitness? more like, FEtness

Agro

I feel like SF needs a fitness topic, so here goes nothing.

Anyone else here into fitness, to any extent? Sports are included too, I guess. I've always been terrible at sports and thus lacked the motivation to do anything until I finished school and started going running and using my rowing machine and dropped about 10 kg in 6 months. I was 94 kg, and I'm now sitting at a steady 84 kg. Generally I run for 40 minutes 3-4 times a week and then use my rowing machine for 6km (30 mins) 2 times a week. I feel like it isn't enough since my weight loss has completely plateaued. It's completely understandable, though, since 5 kg of the 10 kg I dropped was during winter break where I basically got rid of all carbs and did 60 mins of intense exercise every day for a month.

I've been thinking of hitting the gym recently but due to my weird living situation (5 days on campus, 2 days back home, only during school semesters) I feel like a gym membership wouldn't really be worth it. Plus, I'm petrified of working out in front of other people :unsure:.

I've also been trialling this "high intensity interval training" thing for a few weeks and it seems to be working out well. I definitely feel a hell of a lot fitter and like I have more stamina, though I haven't had any tangible results. To aid in this endeavour, I made a quick FE13 MP3 that goes through all the player themes and their "Ablaze" versions in 40 sec/15 sec intervals. It sure helps, since before I didn't have anything to time the intervals by.

What about you guys? I doubt I'll get a good response given SF's userbase, but we'll have to see

oh, and obligatory picture of me and my "assets":

2013-06-05173844_zps7bd580b8.jpg

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I should probably do more cardio, but I don't. After a longish warmup on a bike or a treadmill, it's weights. I'm not particularly aggressive about it, it's more just to make sure I get some activity. I work enough to be plenty sore the next day, but if I really cared about being particularly fit, I'd eat differently and do more cardio.

If it had not been for my current (erratic) schedule.

I would be doing this workout weekly...

3-6 miles of running/walking

3-8 hours of various cardio activities: sports, workout regiments including that craze called Insanity and etc.

3-10 miles of hiking/rock climbing (yes this and running deserved separate categories).

However I had to tone it down given everything being scheduled random every week.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week (because I love baking but I want to maintain my weight) and trust me, people are too busy doing what they're doing to watch you, lol! The first time is really nerve-wracking but it stops bothering you when you realize that no one really cares what you're doing. :P

If it really bothers you though, you can go early in the morning (since I find that there aren't many people there in the morning besides some old people).

I go to the Gym 4 times a week. its been like a year since I started going and I lost 58 pounds. I'm 125 now. Also what eCut said. People are busy doing what they're doing to watch you :P. I remember being really nervous the first time going xD. there's rarely anybody if you go early in the morning.

I've started going to gym recently, also took up swimming. Before that I would work out at home, and did it really fanatically for a while (no breaks, lifting non-stop until my biceps turned blue etc.). Also been meaning to invest some time into studying proper bodybuilding nutrition.

i usually run a mile on the treadmill when i go to the gym, then switch to an elliptical, then do assorted weights

i would run more, but i got shin splints once awhile back that didn't go away for weeks, so i'm just going to keep up the treadmill-elliptical routine until i lose a bit more weight.

Army so I have a very on/off schedule without going to a gym.

We usually do a run every other day that's between 4~7 km (4 will be at a fastish pace of 4:20/30 while 7 will sit at an easy pace of 5), push-ups/sit-ups and a LOT of military exercises which means ~12 kg on you (combat vest, water, gun and mags) plus whatever you're carrying for the exersize. Stretch is an extra 7 kg, water pack is 10.5 kg, radio CAN be 12 kg (depends on the type) and if you're a sapper, the monster (mine) pack is almost 60 kg when it's full. And we do a shit-ton of walking. There's other things that can be carried but I'd prefer not to divulge them.

Basically, heavy loads.

Edited by Tricky Dick

I go to the gym, but much prefer recreational exercise. I love tennis and football and there's plenty of running involved in both, so it's a good way for me to burn calories without making it feel like work.

I'm going back home from school without a gym membership, but I go at least three times a week here. Since I once was in football, I focus mainly on explosive, strength-building exercises.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed at the gym--I'm relatively weak compared to gym regulars so I feel kinda embarrassed when I have to take a lot of weight off of the machines. But you do what you gotta do, and as many people said, people don't care about what you do at the gym. I'm sure they'd cheer you on, if anything.

As for my routine, I exercise for about half an hour as soon as I wake up, just some stretches followed by ab exercises like bicycles and good old sit-ups, then I work on my upper body for a bit. I've been in pretty good shape since I've been doing that consistently for the past few years, but I'm looking to bulk up now since I'm toned, but noticeably thin due to being a total lightweight. This summer I'm trying to gain weight so that I can focus more on strength building. And admittedly, I want to have more noticeable biceps (the muscle only shows at all if I'm flexing).

Marching band barely counts, so lol

I used to be in athletics (basketball and offseason), and that was some pretty hardcore exercise and weights everyday. Now I just go outside and run or go use the elliptical in my house for around an hour usually. I want to go to the gym and do weights so I can stay in shape though, but I haven't signed up for a membership and I feel like I wouldn't use it as much as I want to.