Rate the DLC Unit Day #11: Celica

PKL

"Hmm, what if my Avatar joined halfway through the game with good bases?"

You get Mr./Mrs. Broken, the dynamic duo from parallel worlds but never together. Kings of the army who do as they please with constant levelups and any skills they feel like getting. If turns are your thing, just recruit Morgan on Turn 1 and Rescue skip to the boss. I don't care what you do, just recruit Morgan and watch as the game bows down to him/her.

Ha ha, let me get serious for a moment. I'm giving Morgan a perfect score, just like I did Cordelia and Lucina. A unit that basically defines offense from their join time all the way up to the end is deserving of that score. Similar to Avatar, any perceptible flaws Morgan may have are rectified by the blazing, hurricane-like speed of his or her level ups. If you didn't get what you wanted last time, don't worry, a good one is right around the corner. The speed of your levelups is rewarded with any gamebreaking skill of your choice, in addition to the two most broken skills in the game (Galeforce/Veteran). You do not have to optimize Morgan's skills to make them good, but when you do, their only competition is their mother/father.

10/10 for inheriting godliness and using it to its full potential.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan can inherit both Veteran and Galeforce in an efficient playthrough and steamroll through with no injury to turncounts or reliability. Good regardless of who the parent is. 9.5/10 no bias.

If turns are your thing, just recruit Morgan on Turn 1 and Rescue skip to the boss.

Bro, do you even Galeforce?

Morgan is just as good as an other Avatar kid.

Which is still ridiculous, but hardly surprising at this point.

Breaks post game, and can possibly be useful in the main story as a Rally Bot.

9-1 bias = 8/10

Morgan is incredibly diverse and open to just about any role. Very universal and flexible, and can fulfill any given role (except, of course, dancing) with the proper parent. So I give her a solid 10.

Take Avatar. Now make him/her even MORE versatile, in terms of caps. Throw in a skill he/she would have to grind for/wouldn't have due to gender restrictions, and out comes Morgan. Morgan will always be ridiculous, and nothing short of keeping Avatar and the other parent at base will cause him/her to fail. The amount of control over this kid is ridiculous. Throw in every generic class possible, and the result is the most potential in the game, period. Morgan's recruitment chapter isn't too bad, either, and the prize for it is the best stat booster in the game. What more do you want?

9.5/10 (-0.5 bias included because I don't like either portrait)

(minor nitpick: Beating the game just rolls the credits; for all intents and purposes, getting TO the final chapter triggers postgame)

Simply fucking amazing, but joins pretty late. Also, they may or may not have Gayforce, depending on certain aspects. I however dislike the portrait used for both M and F Morgan.

95%.

Since you get these guys on the last chapter, I'll be rating them for the impression you can get of them on the endgame, and their postgame power. This means that I will include their performance in DLC episodes.

Gangrel, because he has the first extra paralogue, is the weakest of the bonus characters, but he's got some good going for him. His attacking stats might need a little buffing, because as his base class only the Levin Sword will do any good damage. He'll be nice and fast, and he'll even be able to take some hits.

Unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. If you want to reclass him for extra power, he'll start off with E Rank axes or something similar, which will keep him down for a while, and he will ultimately require the extra step or two when it comes to training, otherwise you'll find him redundant compared to your other units and the other bonus characters.

A decent character, but he doesn't even quite reach good; 4.5/10.

I'd give him a +1 bias due to his sadistic villainy that made him what he was supposed to be, and then his interesting DLC conversations with the characters, but that's cancelled out by his otherwise generic attributes and sudden switch from good to bad. I feel that it's something IS could've done a lot better.

Gangrel

Pros

+ B Rank swords and decent Strength for a Trickster makes his combat somewhat better than Anna.

+ C Staves and decent Magic makes for a decent Staff user as well, with high Psychic and Rescue range.

+ Easy Paralogue Map makes it likely for you to get him before any other Spotpass Paralogue character. The easiness of it also helps letting you finish the map decently fast WHILE getting him too.

+ Usable bases when you get him.

+ Good reclass options for postgame.

Cons

- DAT RECRUITMENT REQUIREMENT! DAT ENEMY UNIT CLASSIFICATION!

- Low base level. (Though that is somewhat of a benefit for him)

- Limited use in the maingame, like all Spotpass Paralogue Characters.

- Shares the Spotpass Paralogue curse of only Supporting Avatar.

As your first Spotpass Paralogue unit, Gangrel will be alright. He has decent Strength and decent Magic when he comes, and his Speed is quite high, allowing him to do some decent damage with some boosts. He also comes with a Levin Sword, which is nice, and thanks to his bases, he'll make a decent pair-up bot for any unit seeking both Magic and Speed. Main-game, he can work as a replacement sustitute for Anna (with better combat) if you haven't grinded her supports or weapon ranks at all, or function as a filler unit for battle or pair-up purposes.

His recruitment requirement is to talk to him three times with Chrom, while he is an enemy unit. This can cause some headaches in trying to keep him alive long enough to do that, and having Olivia dance for Chrom to lessen the amount of turns needed from three to two is recommended to not only make it safer, but also to finish the map quicker.

Postgame, his high Speed and Speed Modifier will work in his favour to get him more double attacks (and avoid getting double attacked). His modifiers make him quite decent for Trickster, or any of his reclasses, though he leans more towards being a magic-user (or just sticking to Trickster, once trained) due to his workable Magic stat and his negative Strength Modifier.

While he can take a hit, Gangrel will initially start as quite frail, compared to your more durable units. This does mean that he should stick to Levin Swords at first, so that he can attack from a distance, or function as the partner unit in a Pair-Up, or just healing and rescuing with Staves. Having him go through Sorcerer can help make him more durable, since his Defense and HP will begin to catch up if he does, and he gets access to Nosferatu to allow him some survival ability from the start. Lucky Seven will also help his survival skills, granting 20 Avoid for a good number of turns.

Ultimately, like all other Spotpass Paralogue characters, Gangrel is not really needed. But if you want to use him, he won't be bad either.

Maingame Rating: 4/10 (5/10 with bias, because he's my favorite character of the cast.)

Postgame Rating: 7/10 (8/10 with bias, look above)

Overall Rating (use this one for Rating purposes): 5/10 (6/10 with bias)

Gangrel isn't needed at any point, but he's not useless if you make the effort to recruit him either. Despite his recruitment requirements, a brisk runner can recruit him and finish the map relatively fast. Postgame, he's able to pull his weight when it matters, and do well in most of his classes.

Gangrel's okay I guess, he makes a pretty good Levin Sword user at base, but I kind of prefer Anna at this point if I'm using her, but Gangrel's okay.

Swapping him to another class is going to take some work due to E weapon rank, but at postgame it's not that big of an issue, I guess.

His supports are nonexistent, so I'm not gonna go into that.

3/10 with -1 bias for 2/10

Urgh, I love him. But not that great. Poor baby. I'll try not to be biased.

Well, let's see. He comes with a decent staff rank and sword rank, which is why I never could use Tricksters (Anna was okay, but promoting Gaius, I was like, "Where's your staff rank?"). He has good magic and strength balance, which is also an issue I've ran into trying to use them.

He has pretty good reclass options, although I wish he got Griffon Rider (I always have him with Boots, Mov. +1, Pass, Acrobat, and a Physic staff, along with Galeforce S Supports MU, which I love as a team -- run, switch, kill, run, switch, heal/kill... That skill that gives two more move when paired up would have been so great with my setup... But alas).

Personally, I recruited him before any child (except Owain and Inigo) to maximize his use, and he's been really strong for me. For postgame, I think he's the best Trickster option you have (unless you want a Trickster MU).

And I love the fact he had a different recruitment requirement as anyone else in the game. Pretty cool. I wish he had more supports, though, besides MU and maybe Morgan. Chrom or his sisters or Inverse would have been nice, but that's wishful thinking.

I'd say about 5/10. He has limited use, but he is a pretty good unit. That's without bias.

With bias it's a million out of ten. My dear husband...

Morgan got a much lower rating than I thought he/she would :o

Gangrel:

Joins after Chapter 25 in the maingame, with decent...ish bases. There's 5 paralogues left to do (if you do them) and Endgame. He's thoroughly mediocre in them though imo. Having no supports and being outclassed by all the characters you're using at this point. The guy doesn't even join with A swords when he really should be :/. I don't count postgame but I bet he's probably really bad in that too.

0.5/10 -0.5 bias for doing what he did to Emm 0/10

Maingame: Gangrel is able to double some of the slower enemies on the paralogues and Endgame and can wield a Levin Sword for some decent damage, but what really matters is that he can use rescue staves, has 7 mov and 26 magic, so he helps with speed clearing Endgame if he's recruited. His practically nonexistent availability and no supports at this point really hold him back. All in all, he's basically a second Anna

Postgame: Still no supports unless you pair him with Avatar, but has decent caps for a magic user. Unfortunately, his class options kinda suck with regard to skills but he can use dark magic, so that's something i suppose. 2/10

Average: 1.5/10

Edited by The Batter

Gangrel:

Joins after Chapter 25 in the maingame, with decent...ish bases. There's 5 paralogues left to do (if you do them) and Endgame. He's thoroughly mediocre in them though imo. Having no supports and being outclassed by all the characters you're using at this point. The guy doesn't even join with A swords when he really should be :/. I don't count postgame but I bet he's probably really bad in that too.

^

Story: Late, average stats, underleveled, one support partner who is probably taken = 0.5/10

Post: Average everything, from skills to growths, nothing special really; DK and Sorc are nice though = 5 - 0.5 bc no matter how much you train him he still lacks supports

Rating: 2.5/10

Guys the weapon rank complaint with reclassing is dumb. Just reclass him to Dark Knight or Dread Fighter or something to keep his sword rank and decent magic.

That decent magic will still only be working well with Levin Swords, which is the initial problem; you'll have to be relying on that A LOT until your other ranks go up to a notable degree.

Stolen