Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

riariadne

New trailer of MGSV from E3 today, get hyped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxtfpYo7yo

Looks pretty cool overall. I think Ocelot looks really silly, and Punished Snake seems kind of like an arbitrary nickname just to have one, but otherwise I'm impressed. The gameplay seems to have been improved upon a lot since 4 which was already great. Stuff like the horse move is really simple but cool nonetheless. The open world also means lots of variation, which is exciting. I like the new characters as well as far as designs go, though there's not much on them.

And then all of those cool things become infinitely less amazing when you realize it's an XBOX One exclusive. God dammit, Kojima. this isn't true, oops

Thoughts?

Edited by Liquid Snake

I loved what they showed, although I can't help but think its starting to rear towards modern shooter. I don't think the ultra serious route is what the series should take, one of the things I liked is that you could always get a light-hearted codec call to brighten the dark themes, and the over exaggerated characters. Of course, humorous codec calls isn't something you'd show off in a trailer. There was also the shot where it looks like Snake is about to shoot some kids, I understand this is him becoming the villain he always was, and Metal Gear has always dealt with controversial topics, but there is a line, Metal Gear Rising almost broke me with the thought I was killing innocent people. Anyways, to clear something up, they said it was not Xbox exclusive shortly after the conference. I'm really glad Mantis is back.

I haven't played MGS4 yet (I need a PS3 first, damn it), but this looks fucking awesome. I haven't played a MGS game properly since 3.

I think a PS3 is next on my list of expensive things to buy.

And then all of those cool things become infinitely less amazing when you realize it's an XBOX One exclusive. God dammit, Kojima.

Where did you hear that this is exclusive?

As for my thoughts, I'm rather excited to see what cutscenes the game will have, and we will see how Sutherland comes off as the new Snake.

Edited by DOS

I loved what they showed, although I can't help but think its starting to rear towards modern shooter. I don't think the ultra serious route is what the series should take, one of the things I liked is that you could always get a light-hearted codec call to brighten the dark themes, and the over exaggerated characters. Of course, humorous codec calls isn't something you'd show off in a trailer. There was also the shot where it looks like Snake is about to shoot some kids, I understand this is him becoming the villain he always was, and Metal Gear has always dealt with controversial topics, but there is a line, Metal Gear Rising almost broke me with the thought I was killing innocent people. Anyways, to clear something up, they said it was not Xbox exclusive shortly after the conference. I'm really glad Mantis is back.

Hmm, I can understand that. I kind of like the darker direction myself because at the same time it doesn't really feel overdone, but I can see where you're coming from. Not being XBOX One exclusive is a huge relief though. I didn't actually notice Mantis at all myself.

@DOS: Simply a misunderstanding, sorry.

Edited by Liquid Snake

This looks pretty cool (Kojima added lots of style, as always). I am a little worried however. As well as the open world could work out for then, I could also see it being a detriment if not utilized well. But there's a saying, "No risk, no reward." They won't revolutionize the stealth genre playing it safe all the time.

I know Konami is banking on it being a success. Cuz, y'know, what else do they produce aside from MGS games that actually makes them money? Silent Hill? Pfff.

MGS2 was supposed to be the last one, then it wasn't, MGS3 was supposed to be the last one, then it wasn't, and they say MGSV is going to be the last one, I wonder how long that will hold.

They kept doing Big Boss portable games and people kept liking them. MGS4 was Solid Snake's last adventure, is what Kojima said IIRC, but they just kept having enough room to do another game with Big Boss, and they kept taking those chances.

I'm okay with this, is what I'm saying

That looks pretty amazing. I'm still hoping Kojima breaks down and makes that game about The Boss/The Joy he threatened to do. I'm not going to hold my breath, but a man can dream.

So I thought this is kind of relevant. I honestly think it's pretty hilarious (even though IIRC it's shopped, which honestly makes it funnier). People are bitching way too much about Sutherland when his voice acting isn't even bad, it's just not Hayter.

Also, the extended trailer was released 8 days ago but I didn't see it until recently, here it is. The differences from the above are only a few minutes at the beginning and there's about 30 seconds at the end as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ8TZ4fRxFw

I actually had a hard time watching the scene with Big Boss taking the peace-signed explosive out of the girl (confirmed to be Paz), though I am a bit squeamish. Also I didn't catch this until watching it a few times, but there are a ton of signs pointing to Eli being a young Liquid Snake. Thoughts?

Looks good in 1080p.

I'm looking forward to an Open World, but I'm not looking forward to an "open world."

One of the greatest problems I've encountered with open worlds is how game-play ends up almost universally "unfun" for all but one play style, despite multiple possible play styles being touted as a strength of the game.

I'm afraid the only two Metal Gear games I've played are Metal Gear Solid (NES) and Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater (PS2). It doesn't look like one of my favorite aspects will be returning, though-food and stamina. I do see why it's not an ideal system, though, so I'm fine if it's left out-or perhaps optional.