SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I didn't say Ike was popular like Link and Mario popular. xP

But he IS one of the most popular FE lords out west if not THE most popular.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say Ike was popular like Link and Mario popular. xP

But he IS one of the most popular FE lords out west if not THE most popular.

I'll bring up the point that you brought up for Roy.

How many of his fans have actually played FE 9/10?

does it matter how many of his fans played his game? his popularity is proportional only to his popularity, not exclusively to how many people played his games.

EDIT: unless i missed a part of this discussion, here. i'm just rushing in with two loaded guns.

Edited by Integrity

Meh, I got nothing that doesn't sound like stupid fangirling. :v I still hope for Roy to return, even after Lucina blew away all chances.

Oh speaking of Lucina... People have been commenting that she might be the "fast-Marth" and Marth will be slowed down a little. That makes me so sad. There goes my Marth. ;-; Again. I hope I can get a handle on this game better than Brawl...

Lucina's air attacks seemed to have smaller landing lag in her reveal videos than Marth at E3, which is where the faster speed comments come from. However, Sakurai's comments didn't mention any speed difference, so it might be just a general tweak to game mechanics between the E3 Build and Lucina's video, rather than a boost specific to Lucina.

does it matter how many of his fans played his game? his popularity is proportional only to his popularity, not exclusively to how many people played his games.

EDIT: unless i missed a part of this discussion, here. i'm just rushing in with two loaded guns.

A while back, Ana used the "I bet a lot of Roy fans haven't played his game" as evidence that he's less popular, hence Threedede using the same argument against her.

I honestly think it's a bad argument either way, since Marth, Roy and Ike are still relevant BECAUSE of Smash. Seriously, the day Ike is cut from Smash is the day non-FE Players stop caring about him.

I'd say yes, having played the games should at least be discussed, because, at least in my opinion, it's difficult to understand what kind of character they are from Smash alone.

Edit: I didn't think of it that way, Jave. Interesting.

Edited by Threedede

i don't think "what kind of character they are" is relevant in a single fashion to super fucking smash brothers four, a game renowned for its character depth and plot

Edited by Integrity

i don't think "what kind of character they are" is relevant in a single fashion to super fucking smash brothers four, a game renowned for its character depth and plot

True, but if I said, "Why do you like Ike?" And the response was, "Because I like the way he plays," you could replace him with anyone who plays the same, and the playstyle would be same.

true, but if you said 'why do you like ike' and i said 'because i like ike' EDIT: or 'because my name is ike' or 'because he's sexy' or any of a hundred other reasons /EDIT i wouldn't need any more reasoning so what's the relevance? as far as i can parse your argument, it matters whether or not Fan X has played por/rd because just in case you can catch them with that GOTCHA! moment?

Edited by Integrity

Was there an initial reason for this popularity war? Something that needed to be answered/resolved or is it just popularity warring for the sake of popularity warring?

And wow that's like the third time today I've unintentionally made the first comment on a new page.

Edited by Jotari

No, catching people in a GOTCHA! moment isn't what I mean.

But, now that I think about it, I can see why you wouldn't need to play the game to like a character, but I still think it should be considered.

let me illustrate with a story that will hopefully show you that you're still wrong in even considering it

i played project x zone, a thoroughly enjoyable if shallow game and pretty comparable to ssb in premise (it's a crossover, you come to see the mascots making fight)

i had Little To No familiarity with most of the source material, i'd say i recognized maybe a third of the characters. tops.

my favorite character, gameplay and personality, quickly became and stayed hsien-ko. i'd never before heard of her game and, after looking into it, have Zero (0) interest in her game. what does that say about how much i liked her in project x zone, a game which is not darkstalkers?

it says literally nothing and shouldn't even be considered

Hey Lucina seems kinda cool. I guess she's just a free character though. Robin... I'll be beating the shit out of everyone with him as my new main (well maybe if Lucario gets worse).

Could care less about Chrom, although a lance based moveset certainly was possible, so I don't understand Sakurai's justification.

Hey Lucina seems kinda cool. I guess she's just a free character though. Robin... I'll be beating the shit out of everyone with him as my new main (well maybe if Lucario gets worse).

Could care less about Chrom, although a lance based moveset certainly was possible, so I don't understand Sakurai's justification.

Chrom's main weapon is the Falchion. Even if he added lances and axes for some attacks, it'd be really odd to make the Falchion itself a secondary weapon, so most of his moveset likely would have to focus on it. Besides, it'd still leave out Fire Emblem's magic side.

Chrom's main weapon is the Falchion. Even if he added lances and axes for some attacks, it'd be really odd to make the Falchion itself a secondary weapon, so most of his moveset likely would have to focus on it. Besides, it'd still leave out Fire Emblem's magic side.

And on top of that he only ever uses Axes on horseback or a DLC class so having him use them would be weird. A bow is also not a very useful weapon to base a moveset on and wouldn't really work as a special attack which is something we have already seen in smash multiple times.

oh man

they shoulda gone all out with the reclassing stuff and made robin like vaan from dissidia 012

alternately they could have done what they did which looks super neat but hey

Hate Marth and prefer Lucina over him all you want, but if you're delusional enough to think that Marth should be cut because Lucina's in, especially after all the arguments that people in this thread had against your "Marth should be cut" arguments (if you can even call your biased and weak reasons such things), then that's beyond sad.

Video games: serious business.

I already addressed the mascot argument. Marth isn't a good mascot because FE outside of Japan didn't start off with him, and the only game concerning Marth which came out outside of Japan was FE11. Ike is already FE's mascot outside of Japan.

Is it more important to have a mascot for fans outside of Japan, than inside Japan? Yes. Brawl sales are triple that of Japan's sales in North America:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6962/super-smash-bros-brawl/

Here is what we can conclude:

1. Ike is a better mascot than Marth.

2. Marth does not have to be the mascot for SSB4.

3. FE has never had a female representative: Lucina makes the perfect choice to replace Marth, since she even looks and fights alike with Marth.

4. Therefore, Marth doesn't need to be in the game.

PKL made the argument about Marth's playstyle. Then give Lucina a tip as well, and they'll be identical.

Edited by Chiki

I already addressed the mascot argument. Marth isn't a good mascot because FE outside of Japan didn't start off with him, and the only game concerning Marth which came out outside of Japan was FE11. Ike is already FE's mascot outside of Japan.

Is it more important to have a mascot for fans outside of Japan, than inside Japan? Yes. Brawl sales are triple that of Japan's sales in North America:

3. FE has never had a female representative: Lucina makes the perfect choice to replace Marth, since she even looks and fights alike with Marth.

PKL made the argument about Marth's playstyle. Then give Lucina a tip as well, and they'll be identical.

I don't see how not starting with him is a good argument. By that logic Eliwood or Lyn should be the mascots for the west, not Ike, since they are the lords we started with. Though I'm inclined to ask why do we need a separate mascot for the west when Marth is already popular and promoted anyway?

I'm loving these new screen KO effects lol. But can Luigi get that crazy laugh he had back in Melee whenever he was star KO'd? :P

OMG YESPLZ. My fiancee reminded me of that and we both miss it terribly haha.

Its already explained why Chrom didn't make it in. He was strongly considered, but at the end of the day, it didn't happen. That is all

^

Was there an initial reason for this popularity war? Something that needed to be answered/resolved or is it just popularity warring for the sake of popularity warring?

What do you think?

Damn Chiki I didn't know you were working on the game and/or had been given insider peeks to know that Lucina plays completely the same aside from the tipper. That changes everything about your crazy argument!

...*cough*

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot lol.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU

Hah, I'm just the messenger. Thank this person for separating them if you really want to thank someone =w=

Edited by BANRYU

Why are you even arguing this? This isn't about regional exposure here. The series itself spans 20 years. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history. Are you going to just erase 10 years of Fire Emblem history just because it wasn't global?

But if you want to take that direction, Fire Emblem's first international showing features him and even takes its logo from Marth. Without that, damn near no one would even know of it

By your logic, if Zelda Wii U actually does get a female protagonist, hell, they might as well just replace Link while they're at it

Or even just not include the Earthbound characters at all (Someone remind me, was Earthbound ever localized?)

Like I said to Ana, you have to look at the entire picture of Fire Emblem, not just the the piece that went global

I'm just the messenger. Thank this person for separating them if you really want to thank someone =w=

Kind of wished there was a higher resolution because there are these. I can't photoshop for much. But I'll take what I can get

g4O4H9B.png

F0hxUUq.png

A while back, Ana used the "I bet a lot of Roy fans haven't played his game" as evidence that he's less popular, hence Threedede using the same argument against her.

I honestly think it's a bad argument either way, since Marth, Roy and Ike are still relevant BECAUSE of Smash. Seriously, the day Ike is cut from Smash is the day non-FE Players stop caring about him.

Wait, what? I never said that as evidence that Roy is less popular. I said that as evidence that his fans over-hype him as a possible returning Smash character. Big difference.

Plus, seeing as Ike's games actually made it out of Japan, I bet more of his fans played at least one of them than Roy fans played FE6.