SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

There are arguably 8 female newcomers; (Greninja a BIG arguable.) Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Mii, Robin, and Lucina. However, having Zero Suit Samus and Shiek be their own characters makes them pseudo-newcomers, so that would, arguably, make it up to 10. 11, if you count Charizard too.

Counting EVERYONE...

Female:

WFT

Villager

Rosalina

Mii Fighters

Palutena

Lucina

Robin

Male:

WFT

Villager

Megaman

Little Mac

Greninja

Pac-Man

Mii Fighters

Robin

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are not newcomers and do not count. Charizard (if he counted, which he doesn't) and Greninja are male 87.5% of the time and will undoubtedly be referred to with male pronouns, so they don't count. If they had female designs that could be switched to, they could count, but as far as we know, even Pikachu doesn't have that.

But even the numbers up there aren't entirely accurate because of the way WFT, Villager, and Robin are handled. If you were to assign each a gender, WFT is given female default and the other two male default, so it ends up being more like 5 [women] to 7 [men], and that's with Mii Fighters in the count. Yeah, Robin is being split pretty well, but it's still the male version in the official art, trailer, and majority of screenshots.

This is not "female crazy," it's "Hey the girls are finally getting a chance to join in." A few girls are added in and people go all crazy acting like there are suddenly a ton of women on the roster when in reality the game is probably still going to be at least 75% male.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting EVERYONE...

Female:

WFT

Villager

Rosalina

Mii Fighters

Palutena

Lucina

Robin

Male:

WFT

Villager

Megaman

Little Mac

Greninja

Pac-Man

Mii Fighters

Robin

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are not newcomers and do not count. Charizard (if he counted, which he doesn't) and Greninja are male 87.5% of the time and will undoubtedly be referred to with male pronouns, so they don't count. If they had female designs that could be switched to, they could count, but as far as we know, even Pikachu doesn't have that.

But even the numbers up there aren't entirely accurate because of the way WFT, Villager, and Robin are handled. If you were to assign each a gender, WFT is given female default and the other two male default, so it ends up being more like 5 [women] to 7 [men], and that's with Mii Fighters in the count. Yeah, Robin is being split pretty well, but it's still the male version in the official art, trailer, and majority of screenshots.

This is not "female crazy," it's "Hey the girls are finally getting a chance to join in." A few girls are added in and people go all crazy acting like there are suddenly a ton of women on the roster when in reality the game is probably still going to be at least 75% male.

25% is still like ten times better than what we had in previous games.

I would honestly take Sakurai being "female crazy" as a positive phrase.

I welcome the girls.

Indeed. I don't think anyone is actually disappointed by this turn out. Most of the people I talk to anyway are happy about it. People are saying Super Smash Sisters in a positive way.

I only count characters as the gender they were introduced as (like WFT as a female, or Villager as a male).

Of course, they have their different gender version, but their art says otherwise. It just sounds weird saying that a character is both a guy and female.

Like RFoF, though I'm not sure if I'm trying to convey the same thing, but I count less female newcomers. Robin would be debatable, but he/she was introduced (in the trailer) as male Robin, and as RFoF, he's in most of the pics.

I count WFT, Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, and Mii's. Which is pretty much only 5.

Indeed. I don't think anyone is actually disappointed by this turn out. Most of the people I talk to anyway are happy about it. People are saying Super Smash Sisters in a positive way.

I'm personally neutral to it. As in, I never cared about the male:female ratio in Smash as long as we got cool and reasonable characters. :P

25% is still like ten times better than what we had in previous games.

Which says a lot.

For reference, Brawl was 15% female.

Female Robin is in Robin's official art too. :P

Was talking about http://www.smashbros.com/us/images/character/reflet/illust-modal.jpg

I guess that should be called the illustration? Eh.

I would honestly take Sakurai being "female crazy" as a positive phrase.

I welcome the girls.

Oh, I'd love it...if it were true.

This is true, though. I'm much more happy than sad about the number of female newcomers. I'm just annoyed at people acting like...well, like Sakurai has been "female crazy," or like the problem of the game lacking female characters has been "fixed." Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Pg595

I would definitely be up for that. I've had tournaments with Smash communities before and they've been tons of fun. Would you be interested in recording the matches and putting them on Youtube?

Sure, if it becomes possible for me. :P And if I can remember to record and save them at all. lol

I'm game.

Hey, someone on Deviantart says it's Sakurai's birthday today, so a big happy birthday to him! ^^

Happy birthday, Sakurai.

can greninja count as a girl pls

best host

Pokemon are allowed as they are both/random genders.

Not only that, it's pretty clear that the Jigglypuff in Smash is meant to be female due to the pieces she can wear.

Ice Climbers only allowed if Nana is leading the pair ;):.

Popo would have to be a stepping stool in that tournament. =P

Uz6Lv9g.jpg
"Pic of the day. In this Smash Bros. installment, this little guy is also making an appearance! I…don't know his name, but he's the Prince of the Sablé Kingdom. He's from the Game Boy game Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (translated as The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls), which was only released in Japan."

xs6GyoA.jpg
"Here's the trophy of the Sablé Prince. He transforms into a snake or a frog, and unloads multiple attacks on any opponent he catches. Keep attacking your foes when they're trapped in his dust cloud."

Heh, talk about obscure. Even Sakurai doesn't know the character's name.

ADOL.
ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL. ADOL.
THE HERO OF WANDERERS FROM YS IS OUR NEXT CONTESTANT. (PLAYABLE CHARACTER) :DDDDDD
I LOVE YOU, SAKURAI!

He himself may not have been whining about it, but "STOP HURTING THE POOR RETRO CHARACTERS" and the responses in general to this kind of thing...yeah. "Hurting?" No. People need to realize that it was likely either this or something lesser, not this or roster slot.

There's also a difference between this and Lyn/Isaac. They were assist trophies in the last game, so they would, theoretically*, be first in line for promotion, and the fans of them are more justified in their disappointment of not seeing them make it. Still, I'm fine with Lyn as assist because the FE portion of the roster is already full of sword users.

*Theoretically because no one can really say how the process works and Little Mac is the only assist promotion we've seen so far.

Which should happen with Tarumaru/Chrom....maybe.

I'm posting this now since SF was buggy for me yesterday:

I'm actually really happy to see Prince Sable make it in as an assist, especially considering he's as obscure as you can get when it comes to old Nintendo characters (especially being Japan Only, portable games generally getting shafted in terms of Nintendo representation compared to console games, and having only two references outside Sable's own game). It's also really neat how much they stay true to his character regarding his frog and snake transformations and even the dust cloud that appears when he battles enemies.

I'm a fan of Prince Sable and all (and his frog and snake transformations would've made for an awesome and unique moveset if Sakurai still kept character transformations in SSB4), but with how insanely obscure he is even compared to other old Nintendo characters, I'd say he got beyond lucky making it in as an Assist Trophy.

I actually have to wonder if Sakurai is planning to make the "true" playable retro newcomer of SSB4 (assuming we're getting one whose series wasn't recently revived) a female like Mach Rider (she's female according to Vs. Mach Rider's ending) or Lip, seeing how Sakurai's gone quite female crazy in regards to SSB4 newcomers.

WELL....

I don't really know who this Sable guy is, but I hope they bring his game over a la Murasame Castle.

Do you think there's a possibility of Ganon being a stage boss? Just to confirm, I mean giant pig Ganon.

Adol.

-----

This is true, though. I'm much more happy than sad about the number of female newcomers. I'm just annoyed at people acting like...well, like Sakurai has been "female crazy," or like the problem of the game lacking female characters has been "fixed."

Ha ha ha...

...And it'd be boring if only the men fight.

Doh. -.-

The Princely transformer...

Not playable.

Why no love for handsome princes, Sakurai? >.<

Edited by Bimbo

Where are you getting Adol from, Aya? That's Prince Sable from The Frog for Whom the Bells Tolls.

I mean, I know it's you, but for fuck's sake they don't even look alike >_>

Where are you getting Adol from, Aya? That's Prince Sable from The Frog for Whom the Bells Tolls.

I mean, I know it's you, but for fuck's sake they don't even look alike >_>

Aha ha ha... :)

I knew.

He just looks so much like Adol.

Still the handsome prince didn't become playable. -.-

Edited by Bimbo

The San Diego Comic Con was how long ago...?

Well, I was watching a gameplay vid that happened to have Zelda in it (with her kicking butt too), though the Zelda player seemed to NEVER use her new Down Special (but I can't blame him since people have been saying it's pretty sucky).

Here's another Comic Con Wii U video if anybody cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFQbwUlIhc

We do need more handsome heros as well as sin and Pantsless Marth.

Sin? The whale from Final Fantasy X?

No.

More sinister characters, like Deathborn, Fulgore, Spawn, etc.

-----

Those were the days.

Edited by Bimbo

I know how you feel. Peach being the third character since E3 2013 and not in either demo for BOTH Smash-Fest AND E3 2014 (and Comic Con).

Though, Rosalina, Zelda, and ZSS are doing fine in the gameplay videos I've seen. Either Zelda sucks more than she already does, or the people just do NOT know how to use her.

I would just like to know what's up with the blue fire Ike was shown with in that trailer! He didn't have it in his Eruption screenshot, then he does in the Robin/Lucina trailer! I would like to know if it's a change to his default Eruption or just one of his alternate variations of it. Cause either way, I want to play a blue fire Ike! :P

Edited by Anacybele

Here's what I think for the most likely newcomers. Remember, this is what I think. You do not have to agree.

1. Ridley. Ridley's the most likely, hands down. He's a fan favorite, the next biggest Metroid character after Samus, and Sakurai has been hinting at him A LOT. He's done that for no other character in this installment, except arguably Mewtwo. (But since when does Mewtwo hang upside-down?)

2. Impa, or Ghirahim. I think that these two are the most obvious choices for the Legend of Zelda series. After all, Ghirahim is popular, (though I never played Skyward Sword) and he has a good amount of interesting moves. Impa is a major character, if not the secondary main character, in Hyrule Warriors, and she would play differently from Sheik, for anyone who was worried about that. Watch her Hyrule Warriors trailer to see what I mean.

3. Isaac. He's another Assist from Brawl, like Little Mac, who is one of, what, three or four Assists not shown to be returning yet. He has a whole series to represent, and his situation can be compared to Olimar's in Brawl, where he was old, but not terribly old, but both are from highly acclaimed games. I think Isaac has some Psynergy he can launch out for this installment.

4. Bandana Dee. He's the fourth main character for Kirby, and he played more of a role in Triple Deluxe than Meta Knight (who didn't show up at all, except as a balloon) and arguably more than the antagonists and King Dedede. Besides, he's so cute. How could you not say yes to Mr. Chubby-Cheeks with a spear? (Which, might I add, no spears have been in Smash Bros before.)

5. King K. Rool OR Dixie Kong. Personally, I think K. Rool would be better in the games, due to his having a pretty unique style. Dixie Kong seems like she'd be to Diddy Kong what Falco is to Fox. Then again, there is the recency argument, but bleh.

6. Chibi-Robo. I know, why Chibi-Robo? Photo Finder did pretty well for an eShop game, and I just don't think we have our WTF character yet.

7. Shulk and Sceptile: It could go either way with them. Who knows what might happen here?

And for my super-unlikely request...

CECIL HARVEY. Play him like done in Dissidia. Neutral Special: Soul Eater. Forward Special: Saint's Fall. Up Special: Paladin Force. Down Special: Dark Flame. Tadee, tada, it's good to go. Highly unlikely, though just as likely as Black Mage if ANY Final Fantasy character were to join in.

6. Chibi-Robo. I know, why Chibi-Robo? Photo Finder did pretty well for an eShop game, and I just don't think we have our WTF character yet.

I thought WFT was our WTF character, or do you not think she was WTF enough?

Edited by Konnor97

and Sakurai has been hinting at him A LOT. He's done that for no other character in this installment, except arguably Mewtwo. (But since when does Mewtwo hang upside-down?)

Really? I can't think of anything other than the whole stage hazard scene in the direct. And what about Mewtwo, I don't remember anything for him at all except the vaguely reminiscent shadow in Greninja's reveal?

2. Impa, or Ghirahim. I think that these two are the most obvious choices for the Legend of Zelda series. After all, Ghirahim is popular, (though I never played Skyward Sword) and he has a good amount of interesting moves. Impa is a major character, if not the secondary main character, in Hyrule Warriors, and she would play differently from Sheik, for anyone who was worried about that. Watch her Hyrule Warriors trailer to see what I mean.

I was a bit on the fence before, but now, I see neither why people want OR expect Ghirahim. All he really has on his side is recency. He's not very important to the series he's in and he's not a highly-requested character. People who particularly like Skyward Sword may like him, but SS isn't among the more popular Zelda games in the first place.

5. King K. Rool OR Dixie Kong. Personally, I think K. Rool would be better in the games, due to his having a pretty unique style. Dixie Kong seems like she'd be to Diddy Kong what Falco is to Fox. Then again, there is the recency argument, but bleh.

When people say Dixie would be a Diddy clone, it makes me think they've never played DKC 2 or 3. That hair alone could practically create an entire moveset and would allow Dixie to be way different than Diddy in Smash.

And what about Mewtwo, I don't remember anything for him at all except the vaguely reminiscent shadow in Greninja's reveal?

What shadow is that? I don't recall anything resembling Mewtwo in that trailer.