SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike's pretty boring either way. Actually all FE protagonists are boring. Super righteous, no real flaws, they have special blood/chosen one, never make mistakes, no sense of humor. The only thing Ike has is that back story with his parents.

He's boring to you. Don't say it like it's fact. It isn't.

And Ike doesn't have any special blood or chosen one power. He chose to lead his father's mercenaries after he died and he chose to continue protecting Elincia. No one really chose him for that. He just wound up getting put in a high position due to those choices. He's also not a noble or royal, he has common blood. His father was a powerful fighter, but that's not really that special. There were other powerful fighters in existence too.

He also made mistakes and has a sense of humor, even if he doesn't show it often (see some of those boss battle quotes in RD, for example. Ranulf also manages to make him laugh in their PoR A support).

I find Ike to be the best lord in the series because he's just different and more interesting than most of the others, and has the coolest design, imo. He's not a noble or royal that dresses all neat like. He's a somewhat ragged mercenary that hates those people instead. He starts his life like any other common person, just a kid training with his dad to be a warrior. I like his values and beliefs too.

Damn it, where's that video someone posted in the PoR board awhile back on an analysis of Ike... The dude pretty much explained why I love him so much and how he's the perfect main hero for PoR.

Edited by Anacybele

Cloud has appeared in multiple as well. As well as various KH games, and FFT.

Although his case would be interesting as his existence back in the day was a middle finger to Nintendo in a sense that the deal between Nintendo and Sony fell through and the PS1 was made, but since then the two companies have been a bit more friendly again, so really anything goes.

Be it Cecil for most remakes (mostly all on Nintendo too, even The After Years was Wii only for a bit)

Cloud or Lightning for most promoted

Black Mage or Moggles being unofficial mascots

Or as you said Gilgamesh for his multiple appearances.

SE also had the Dragon Quest franchise which is gigantic in Japan as Glac has pointed out.

Then everyone's favorite puppet without a chance Geno.

Crono may have somewhat of a chance in the poll if enough SNES RPG gamers got together, issue is the SNES was like the best time for RPGs so his grand game doesn't have an edge, (not to mention tons of other choices from other companies)

I dunno about Cloud,yes he is popular and all and he even had some appearances on a nintendo console,but like you said,his whole existence is like a middle finger to nintendo and if I'm not mistaken,he only appeared on nintendo consoles in Kingdom hearts games,not even Final fantasy games.

In trivia, Ike and Micaiah are the only FE lords that isn't, or wasn't born from a social status.

Pff you forgot nephenee who was your main character for a whole chapter in RD

Also

Micaiah is actually Sanakis sister(half sister I guess),making her technically a Begnion noble

Yeah, Ike is still the only lord that isn't of noble birth. He would've been if Greil hadn't renounced his Daein Rider status, but he did, and Ike was born later.

Also, here's that video!

Besides the guy saying he wasn't Ike's biggest fan at first, he's spot-on on why I love the guy so much.

Micaiah is actually Sanakis sister(half sister I guess),making her technically a Begnion noble

Micaiah and Sanaki are full-blooded siblings, so she's a legit Begnion noble ~o3o~

So do you guys think that the Miiverse stage will be available at the same time as Lucas, or after that? I thought it'd be available at the same time as Mewtwo based on the 50 fact video mentioning both, somewhat implying they'd be in the same update.

WTF? Now you're just going to flame me? How in the flying fuck is simply being disappointed in something childish or selfish? And why the fuck do you people complain every time I state a disappointment in something?

Not everyone loves or cares about Roy, so fucking deal with it. There is NOTHING wrong with preferring something else instead. So how about YOU get over yourself and take your insults somewhere else?

If my post was flaming, Moderators, please smite me with a warning. Anyone has the right to be disappointed that a character they like doesn't make it into the SSB4 roster. The way you were wording your posts gave me the impression that you are disappointed because specifically Roy has been hinted to be included. But it seems that you would be disappointed with the outcome regardless of who becomes DLC, unless of course it was someone you actually want. Am I wrong here?

To this, I would simply advise that you set yourself absolutely no expectations when it comes to future DLC characters. When you have zero expectations, even the slightest news of a character you could even remotely enjoy will be great news. It's what I have been doing. I accepted the fact that Roy was not part of the SSB4 cast, and moved on and got over it pretty quickly, instead enjoying everything else SSB4 had to offer. Then all this news of Roy, Ryu, etc. having sound files in the 3DS version has given me and many others hope, but I'm still preparing myself for if/when it's confirmed Roy will not actually become a SSB4 fighter.

It's generally a good life tip, actually. No expectations. No disappointments. Just neutrality or nice surprises.

---

Anyway, people seem to be losing the point of why Roy may return to SSB4. It's pure fanservice. Roy does not have (much of) a following because he is a sub-par Lord and character in a 14 year-old Fire Emblem game.

He has a large fanbase because Roy's Our Boy. The Melee veteran. People were disappointed with his removal from Smash thanks to Sakurai focusing more time into the Subspace Emissary (which I actually enjoyed), but in return, players were given Ike as the third FE character to grace a SSB roster. I'm pretty sure that if the story mode wasn't included, we'd have had 3 FE characters in Brawl, including the removed Mewtwo and whatever other character files were found roaming amongst the Brawl disk data. Who is to say Roy would have simply been a Marth clone back in Brawl? We'll never know of course, but the possibility that Roy would have been to Marth as what Wolf is to Fox is very real. We could receive the Brawl Roy that never was, in SSB4.

I'm also pretty sure - should actually Roy make it into SSB4 - that Sakurai did not even think once about Roy's Fire Emblem game, his personality, etc. People are going too deep when there's really no need to. Roy was a Smash character before he was even in a Fire Emblem game, and earned himself (as a Melee fighter) a fanbase in Melee, a place in Project M, and a distinct fanbase in SSB4 calling for his return. This alone is more than enough reason to include the guy in future incarnations of Smash. I'm sure Sakurai knows this, and he may be listening.

jesus christ why do people get so mad about super smash bros

i don't want to see any of the rest of you having stupid snipefests like raven and anacybele here, thanks.

or, hell, maybe do? i'm still jockeying for most moderator actions on the site someday...

Like Raven I enjoyed Roy in Melee. He got me into FE, I actually really like him in fe6 as well despite his low stats and bad promotion time.

Kid had to succeed Hector and he managed it and kicked Berns ass, a feat that even in FE7 was stated as a very difficult task. The manga that doesn't focus on him, but a small group that comes across him every now and again (they even have weapons in fe6 like Gants Lance). Also show some more character for Roy. I also like Ike quite a bit. Ike and Roy actually tie as my second favorite lord. There is no way in hell my personal favorite will be in (Eliwood). May I be overjoyed that I may be getting the character who got me into this series is possibly coming back?

Like I understand why people are averse to have him, I understand people want other characters too, but we want him back. Can we please enjoy this?

I would kinda prefer it if some non-Lords actually made it in somehow. (Excluding Robin, and I'd even argue him as a Lord.) Even if it's one that would have to see a cold day in Tartarus in order to get on the roster such as Idun.

Does anyone here use Lucario a good amount to confirm his patch changes? I'm not one for tourney level character analysis, but I couldn't help but notice his Extremespeed landing lag doesn't always happen anymore. At SSB4's release, Extremespeed barely had landing lag, the first patch gave Extremespeed a lot of landing lag, but now, sometimes the landing lag recovery is really quick (to the same level as SSB4's release). I mostly noticed it when I was using Extremespeed as a attack (I know it's really non-practical, but tend to use non-practical attacks anyways just to show off and really mix up my moves and strategies) and Lucario recovered almost instantly from it.

On another note, does anyone know if multiple grab jabs will enter the stale move list or if multiple grab jabs will only count as one entry on the stale move list? I've kind of made it a habit to repeatedly jab during a grab a lot to clear up the stale move list, but I don't know if each jab helps or if it only counts one.

(trying to bring the Smash conversations away from topics that'll likely cause flaming and hostility)

Does anyone here use Lucario a good amount to confirm his patch changes? I'm not one for tourney level character analysis, but I couldn't help but notice his Extremespeed landing lag doesn't always happen anymore. At SSB4's release, Extremespeed barely had landing lag, the first patch gave Extremespeed a lot of landing lag, but now, sometimes the landing lag recovery is really quick (to the same level as SSB4's release). I mostly noticed it when I was using Extremespeed as a attack (I know it's really non-practical, but tend to use non-practical attacks anyways just to show off and really mix up my moves and strategies) and Lucario recovered almost instantly from it.

On another note, does anyone know if multiple grab jabs will enter the stale move list or if multiple grab jabs will only count as one entry on the stale move list? I've kind of made it a habit to repeatedly jab during a grab a lot to clear up the stale move list, but I don't know if each jab helps or if it only counts one.

(trying to bring the Smash conversations away from topics that'll likely cause flaming and hostility)

yeah that was buffed. The landing lag was really bad which is pretty funny considering the name it was called.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-patch-version-1-0-6-thread-updated-fri-4pm-pst.398902/

Lucario
Extreme Speed RCO from low-lag landings has been removed.

yeah that was buffed. The landing lag was really bad which is pretty funny considering the name it was called.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-patch-version-1-0-6-thread-updated-fri-4pm-pst.398902/

Ah, okay. Last time I checked that thread, the changes below and including Robin's weren't there. Though Lucario's Extremespeed landing lag is still bad in most cases, right? I mean, you have to be really close to the ground after it ends for the landing lag to be really quick? That's the case from what I've experienced.

Ike's pretty boring either way. Actually all FE protagonists are boring.

Oh, how wrong you are about Leif. He fucks up and he gets called out on it massively because August doesn't take that kind of shit.

Leif has quite a few missteps.

Geez, that does blow. :/ What was IS thinking there, honestly?

FE6 was made after Thracia 776. I guess they wanted to see if they could make a lord tie with Leif for the worst one ever. "HEY GUYS, LEIF HAS A SUPER LATE PROMOTION. LET'S MAKE THAT EVEN WORSE FOR ROY! GENIUS!"

Edited by NoNameAtAll

I actually like Roy as a character. Funnily enough the game doesn't focus much on him but from what we do know he seems like a pretty cool dude. He's an intellectual more than a fighter, being in the middle of studying before his position is trust upon him. He's patient and intelligent, managing to beat Bern in the first half not by facing them head on ala Ephraim but by gaining the backing of a more powerful nation. He's also wise enough to not go rushing off when Elphin tells him his father might be in danger despite how Elphin phrases the rumor. We know he's compassionate due to his unwillingness to kill Idoun and he is driven to learn more, telling Yahnn he must know everything about his enemy if he is to properly fight them. And despite fighting being something he evidently has no love for, he still raises to the challenge and fights for what's right. As annoying as his late promotion is it exemplifies a lot of these traits.

He's also a total pimp.

I actually think its a silly buff, considering how it was before forced you to be very wise how you used his INSANELY good recovery. Edited by Jedi

We need more FE characters that aren't lords, how about an archer like Wolt?

Wolt's my favorite FE character but he's never going to be in unless a FE6 remake comes along and gives him lord status. And he's probably third, at best, for FE6 characters with potential to be promoted from average Joe to lord, after Lilina and Guenivere. AT BEST.

AS much as I would like it.

Holmes for SSB4

Wolt's my favorite FE character but he's never going to be in unless a FE6 remake comes along and gives him lord status. And he's probably third, at best, for FE6 characters with potential to be promoted from average Joe to lord, after Lilina and Guenivere. AT BEST.AS much as I would like it.Holmes for SSB4

Wolt alt color for Roy?

jesus christ why do people get so mad about super smash bros

Because people want their vision of the game to be realized, mostly disregarding the feelings of others?

I understand why shin edits the thread title all the time.

Almost no one in this thread is chill. Even the regulars who usually are.

I love people playing the victim card in this thread though.

Am I allowed to be disappointed in the lack of Roy puns?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Am I allowed to be disappointed in the lack of Roy puns?

It looks like this situation has turned into a ROY-al pain.