SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

It'll be a big missed opportunity if One-Winged Angel isn't included in the DLC.

Agreed. That is honestly one of my favorite video game tracks. But...I don't want to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed.

Also...I don't think Cloud was the ballot winner (if there even is a "winner" in that sense). I think he was added to hype up the future FF game (I literally just saw it in the direct and now can't remember the name...), to try and win back some 3rd-party support (you know how many 3rd-parties have said "it'd be so awesome if THIS character got in Smash!" plus having arguably one of the most iconic characters in all of gaming in Smash Bros.? A small step, but still), and to make gamers squeal in joy.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in Europe, the December Smash direct is to be the last Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS direct. So we'll probably get all of the DLC dropped for the last wave.

Also Sakurai made a twitter post referring to Cloud as "a request", so he might be the ballot character.

Source:

The source they use for Sakurai's twitter (Source Gaming) is really reliable so I'm inclined to believe it.

Edited by squid kid

I believe the ballot winner was Shantae and in second place was Shovel Knight. I don't think it's likely that Sakurai would insert a character from an indie game and Shantae isn't as well known for a character than Cloud is.

If there are two more characters, and Cloud was the warm up? I'm doubting Shovel Knight and Shantae entirely.

I think only 2 more 3rd partiers would be even as close to hype, Snakes return and the inclusion of Simon Belmont would be the best way to end this, but I doubt thats how its gonna go.

So

Did anyone else catch that little scene with Zelda and the flower and pikmin?

I'm planning on having Dark Link do his d!air on Zelda while Cloud is watching. Because I'm a terrible person

On a side note, we saw his Advent Children costume. I imagine maybe we'll see a Zack Fair and even Cloud's attire in Crisis Core as alternate skins?

Also, while I am hoping for a flood of Uematsu's beautiful music to be included in the DLC, it could have the same fate as the Street Fighter music that came with Ryu.

I kinda hope they go the Shulk route and have his alternate colors be based on his party members.

I need my Aerith colors yo

Edited by Jedi

I love love love love love Cloud.

I've never played FFVII particularly, and I have no true attachment to Cloud himself, but:

1. He wasn't K. Rool, Inkling, or Wolf. Thank God for that. They would have been total hype killers.

2. Any Final Fantasy stuff is good Final Fantasy stuff. I mean, Midgar with the summons? A Chocobo costume? HYPE

3. He was a total surprise. I love surprises. I was actually sort of sad that Ryu and Roy leaked. I still love them, but imagine the reactions.

4. I main Shulk, and he looks super fun to play as well.

Sure, Terra or Cecil would have been perfect, but I'll take Cloud. Just imagine, it could have been Lightning.

Sure, Terra or Cecil would have been perfect,

I agree with this.

Just imagine, it could have been Lightning.

Given the Tagline they used, I think she would have worked better.

That being said, he does look fun to play as, though I think what I'm most excited about is the remixes that will come with this new addition.

Edited by Tsunami922

tumblr_nxrfbetoSs1rmzb08o1_640.png

Does that mean that every time we say “Dammit Sakurai!” we have to be specific?

Or does that mean we equipped an “All” support materia to our insult?

...I hope no one takes me seriously and gets the seiyuu joke.

Anyways, I have mixed feelings about this.

One one hand, childhood right here. And looks as complicated as Robin. I like.

On the other... I feel torn from how the fanbase has reacted, "expecting" the elitists.

I just don't know.

tumblr_nxrfbetoSs1rmzb08o1_640.png

Does that mean that every time we say “Dammit Sakurai!” we have to be specific?

Or does that mean we equipped an “All” support materia to our insult?

...I hope no one takes me seriously and gets the seiyuu joke.

Anyways, I have mixed feelings about this.

One one hand, childhood right here. And looks as complicated as Robin. I like.

On the other... I feel torn from how the fanbase has reacted, "expecting" the elitists.

I just don't know.

Could you elaborate? "Elitism" is a bit of a strong and touchy word to be thrown around.

I personally don't like Cloud's inclusion; I'll fully admit, I basically threw a stupid, asterisk-filled fit earlier in this thread and in a PM.

My reasoning: he's not from a Nintendo game. Outside of a few cameos, he's never really been on a Nintendo console. The Complication Compilliation of Final Fantasy VII has been firmly on Playstation. Ryu had (and was deliberately made to evoke) the SNES SFII glory days. Snake had a few ports and a remake before his Smash appearance, on top of Kojima's relationship with Sakurai. Cloud just doesn't fit.

Then there's the issue that, like Ryu, he's getting much more attention and care put into him than the other first party Nintendo characters in the game. Where's Mario's ability to switch power-ups on the fly? Where's Shulk's talent gauge and actual Monado arts?

Smash Bros. has, in the past, been about Nintendo, be it all-stars or old faces taken out of the closet.

Now there's Cloud, with about as tenuous a connection to Nintendo as you can get.

Even Goku has more of a reason to be in Smash than Cloud.

Cloud shakes things up, and arguably not for the better.

We were so focused on arguing about Cloud, that we forgot something very important.

Every newcomer has a special artwork, made by the people who worked on the games.

Does this mean we are going to see Smash Bros characters in an artwork made by Nomura?

Or maybe even by Amano!!

I really want to see the artwork now.

Smash characters in Nomura or Amano style...It promises to be interesting either way!

Edited by Water Mage

Could you elaborate? "Elitism" is a bit of a strong and touchy word to be thrown around.

I am going to quote someone and change their words around a little.

I don't want people searching for them and getting more hate about this subject already.

Fucking REALLY? As if I need to see Cloud IN MY ONLY FIGHTING GAME THAT I FUCKING ENJOY LEISURELY. AS IF SMASH BROTHERS HAD ENOUGH FUCKING ELITISTS RUNNING AROUND GIVING OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE FUN WITH THIS GAME SHIT. Because let's be honest. Clearly we don't see Cloud enough considering he was in 4485415615452612 bajillion other spin-off games (FF:CC, KH, etc) so FANS NEED MORE. No, kindly fuck off from this Nintendo joy of mine kthx.

It feels as if you have to enjoy the announcement or hate on it.

One side or the other.

And I just... meh.

One one hand, I like that he's in.

On the other, I felt like it was an odd choice.

Like what I mean is I'm not fully invested in either "side", but will still purchase his DLC regardless.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I am going to quote someone and change their words around a little.

I don't want people searching for them and getting more hate about this subject already.

It feels as if you have to enjoy the announcement or hate on it.

One side or the other.

And I just... meh.

One one hand, I like that he's in.

On the other, I felt like it was an odd choice.

Like what I mean is I'm not fully invested in either "side", but will still purchase his DLC regardless.

...Ah. Okay.

Its quite the mixed reaction, honestly possibly one of the most mixed reactions I've seen.

Back when Wii Fit Trainer was announced everyone thought it was a joke and we were angry, then we all laughed with Sakurais choice and felt it was a fun yet fitting choice.

Some people felt Villager went against his words in Brawl.

Megaman wasn't loathed at all of course.

Rosalina felt like a natural next Mario character choice, but some were irked by it non-the-less (The Daisy and Waluigi fans in particular), but more so at her fighting style.

Little Mac being in was seriously questioned by Japan and they felt Sakurai was being too biased towards the West.

Sonic's return was called greedy of Sega despite them telling Sakurai it was up to him.

Pac-Man... Generally accepted although some felt a different Namco character should take the spot. But 4 legends of gaming were now together.

Palutena, was called "too anime" and "Sakurai has KIU bias" while defenders said it was nice to see the goddess take her spot in smash, along with those supporting new female characters.

Miis? Some people find them a fun distraction, others legit like them, others find them a waste of space and insulting with some of their costumes.

Greninja was "selling out" to Gamefreak, but those who liked him generally liked his inclusion.

Robin and Lucina. Oh boy, FE got more characters? Smash is becoming too anime! Some said, Robin's uniqueness was then praised for being true to FE in a very strange way, Lucina's was generally filled with ire at her seemingly taking Chroms spot, and being 95% Marth clone, despite her having possibilities for a unique moveset

Bowser Jr? Well some people liked the inclusion, others were once again irked that Mario got another character and wasn't the one they wanted.

Shulk, "Smash is EVEN MORE ANIME, Those weeabo faggots now have way too many of these guys" <- actual comment I saw. While others praised Shulk for his unique monado system and got more people into Xenoblade, and people were generally happy to see some RPG representation.

Dark Pit and Dr Mario? Arguments on this very thread show how diverse that was.

Mewtwo's Return, Some were hyped, others were irked that Gen 1 was getting even more representation, and some felt it was too much of a fanpleasing for Melee "elitists".

Roy's Return, super mixed as we now had 5 FE characters, and before people even realized Roy got decloned they were screaming at the fact that Smash had effectively 3 Marths without research.

Lucas's return was generally well received.

Ryu another somewhat mixed one, some felt it was really cool THE FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER, was in smash, and he was complex and had more natural true combos, some felt it went against how smash is suppose to be, while others really enjoyed the complexity and the iconicness he brought.

Now Cloud, a storm of Love or Hate, much like how the FF franchise itself is received, we can only hope it gets calmer. One of the most unNintendo characters you could possibly add, yet is still a really cool addition due to being one of the most iconic RPG heroes. Also there was that whole Link vs Cloud debate stuff back in the day.

Edited by Jedi

I hope they put the Midgard stage on the 3DS version as well. Of course it's not going to be as flashy, but I'd prefer new characters to have their homestages available on both versions.

I hope they do that as well, I remember during the trailer

"Oh is this stage gonna be lega...."
Odin slices it in half

"Never mind"

It looks really fun though.

Now Cloud, a storm of Love or Hate, much like how the FF franchise itself is received, we can only hope it gets calmer. One of the most unNintendo characters you could possibly add, yet is still a really cool addition due to being one of the most iconic RPG heroes. Also there was that whole Link vs Cloud debate stuff back in the day.

I remember that sorry excuse for an argument. God, there was even a biased Death Battle about it.

Edited by Great Geargia Gateway

You know since the sky is the limit.

Can I ask for Simon Belmont and Ryu Hayabusa? Both of them are classics and were even with Nintendo in their cases :P: