SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I just hope Nintendo are as reasonable in terms of exclusive as with the DSi(only 5 exclusives) and Wii Motion Plus(only 6 games required it.) Having a more powerful version of your current console come out with its own exclusive is a great way to lose your customers trust. Imagine how the people who just bought a 3DS feel about hearing that a better version of the console they just bought it coming out with its own exclusives.

I don't think it's Nintendo being "reasonable" I think it's developers being scared. Releasing a game on a specific subset of a console that you're not even sure is gonna sell is a giant risk. As a business you wouldn't really want to divide the possible sales you make by a degree that high. Worst case scenario, this Xenoblade port might sell fewer copies than the Wii version, maybe not even come to the US at all. It all depends on how many people care about upgrading to this "new" model, and that's very very tricky.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just preordered this game!

I'm getting it Sept 13th. Nope. Can't wait till next month to play it! I know that Ness is in it and I'm sure this game will be surprising me big time with all of the Mother being hidden. Who else has preordered this game now?

Edited by PuffPuff

I don't think it's Nintendo being "reasonable" I think it's developers being scared. Releasing a game on a specific subset of a console that you're not even sure is gonna sell is a giant risk. As a business you wouldn't really want to divide the possible sales you make by a degree that high. Worst case scenario, this Xenoblade port might sell fewer copies than the Wii version, maybe not even come to the US at all. It all depends on how many people care about upgrading to this "new" model, and that's very very tricky.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure most devs will avoid making exclusive for the New 3DS(such a bad name) as long as the 3DS install base is bigger. Some people are afrad though that Nintendo might try to push sells for the 'new system' by making the next Pokemon, Mario or Zelda games exclusive to it, but they had all the trouble in the world getting the 3DS to sell, I don't think they want to shoot themselves in the foot like that). I wonder how well the Xenoblade port will sell in Japan, since even though Xenoblade is a great game, it's been readily available for 4 years there (not having to deal with a limited amount of copies as far as I know). Maybe they hope the more powerful model that also fixes an array of problems with the original 3DS will entice people that were on the fence in regards to buying the system.

Shulk is confirmed! Awesome sauce!...Even though I have never played Xenoblade Chronicles...Interesting moveset, and he has a counter, yes! I love counters! But his official artwork seems to match the one in the leak...which worries me...I didn't really used much of the characters that are supposedly cut (especially not the Ice Climbers, didn't like their gimmick much). There is a part of me that is kinda glad Wolf will be cut. He's the character that annoyed me the most in Brawl. His foward smash attack is INFURRIATING! Almost instant and has good reach. Hard to guard against and even harder to interrupt it. At least Kirby's wasn't as fast and didn't reach that far. Still a shame that Wolf is most likely gone... He was very different from the Star Fox crew (still don't get why people are calling him a clone, just because he has similar special moves and Final Smash is not enough to be considered one imo).

Also, speaking of Kirby, I wonder what move will he copy by swallowing Shulk. It'd be funny if Kirby can use the Monado Arts, but I seriously doubt it.

...And no server crashes either with the order. I'm shocked. As many folks will have preordered this game by this week. That's to those who have a Jap 3ds that is...

Delayed shipping till Sept 17th. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Probably won't be till the 22nd that many of us can even play it since shipping of this game will be caught in some major traffic. -.-

I won't release any snapshots of the game till a little after release day of NA/Euro. Hope everyone else that gets this game now will do this same respect. :3

Plus, we'd like the voice acting of Palutena/Link and everyone for Japanese too. Know I will. ^_^

Edited by PuffPuff

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I still feel that there's doubt for Bowser Jr. and the other leaked characters. Just because two of the characters from the footage were confirmed doesn't mean that the whole leak is real yet. To me, something still feels off about Bowser Jr.'s footage and the characters not shown in the footage. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Duck Hunt Dog don't seem to have any leaked gameplay footage (something I felt that the leaker should've shown for anti-salt purposes), so whether they really are programmed into the game or not is something that's boggled my mind for some time. Now it's obvious that Nintendo is well aware of the leaks, but the lack of Bowser Jr. in any of their newer content (and the fact that he isn't really popular in Japan) is something I find questionable.

Also, I don't think Shulk replaced Ice Climbers. Duck Hunt Dog replaced Ice Climbers (that is, if he is indeed confirmed). His moveset could be a throwback of every old NES title (including Ice Climber) compressed into an iconic figure, thus removing all arguements that he has no moves to show!

[spoiler=It would suck if this happened...]Bowser Jr. gets demoted to an Assist Trophy at the last second.

Everybody will cry.

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I still feel that there's doubt for Bowser Jr. and the other leaked characters. Just because two of the characters from the footage were confirmed doesn't mean that the whole leak is real yet.

For this leak to be fake at this point, the guy would have to know what the Shulk render looks like as well as how Shulk plays and then decided to make a fake video of Bowser Jr. (and a mod that features this type of Bowser Jr. moveset has never been made in the past 5 years of Brawl modding, so he would need to make everything completely from scratch) alongside a fake video for Shulk. And you only know what the artwork looks like and how the character plays if you have inside intelligence.

To me, something still feels off about Bowser Jr.'s footage and the characters not shown in the footage. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Duck Hunt Dog don't seem to have any leaked gameplay footage (something I felt that the leaker should've shown for anti-salt purposes), so whether they really are programmed into the game or not is something that's boggled my mind for some time.

Leakers put their career and their lives on the line when they decide to break their non-disclosure agreements to post info. They can only post the little bits they have in order to avoid getting caught, fired and sued. You have unrealistic expectations for someone in this situation.

Now it's obvious that Nintendo is well aware of the leaks, but the lack of Bowser Jr. in any of their newer content (and the fact that he isn't really popular in Japan) is something I find questionable.

Nintendo doesn't have to acknowledge the leaks at all. They don't go "oh well, Bowser Jr. got leaked here have a video about him".

I was re-listening to the Shulk trailer and I noticed that there was a third Xenoblade song aside from 'Gaur Plains' and 'You Will Know Our Names'. From 0:57 to 1:02 the intro of 'Mechanical Rhythm' can be heard.

I think a lot of the anger toward this roster stems from people not understanding game development. When Sakurai and his team set out to design a SSB game, they don't start with "There will be exactly 50 characters, so let's start cutting!" they say, "How can we allocate the limited time we have to make as many fun characters as possible?" As such, the new clones should NEVER be seen to play a role in regular characters making it or getting cut. After Melee, Sakurai claimed that all 6 Melee clones took them about the time it would take to make one new character. We have seen 3 full clones, so even if every single one was cut, there more than likely would not be any new characters. The clones are complete bonus characters. Dr. Mario did not get revived over Mewtwo. Dr. Mario was probably slipped in at the last second using the devs' scraps of spare time. Honestly the SSB4 clones were probably even faster than the Melee clones, since they were likely alt costumes, so they were already modeled and rigged. There was no way Mewtwo could be added like that, he would have taken much, much more time. The Brawl vets would not return either; they're too unique, and would have taken much longer.

Next, and even more importantly, no one character necessarily causes another to get cut. I've seen lots of people shouting that they hate Shulk, or Duck Hunt, or the Wii Fit Trainer, because they "stole" someone else's spot. This is a baseless temper tantrum. If WFT was excluded from SSB4, Ridley would not automatically surf into the game basked in rainbows and happiness. There is no telling what would happen. Rarely is there ever a single character that blatantly gets in over another character (though we occasionally encounter that with characters in the same series, like Chrom/Robin). None of the newcomers has Ridley or Mewtwo's spot, because this idea of spots is wrong. They did not have time to make other characters yes, but that's a result of the development of all the newcomers AND veterans. It's all about dev time, and different characters may take widely different durations to make. It appears some characters are using re-textured Brawl models, which would obviously expedite their development. Other characters have no 3D models at all, or need a complete redesign, so they would definitely take a lot more dev time. In the end, this game of "What if Character X Got Cut?" is just that, a game of imagination. We have no idea how various characters impacted other character's inclusions or exclusions.

It's one thing to be upset that your favorite character did not make it, which is totally understandable, but it's starting to bug me how much people are crying out that certain characters shouldn't be in the game. Just because you don't like a character does not mean they do not deserve to be in SSB. Nor does it mean that no one likes that character. And just because they were not a popular request does not mean they will not become popular. If Sakurai only went by popular requests from Western players, we would not have Captain Falcon, Ness, Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, Game & Watch, Pit, Ike, Lucas, R.O.B., and many others. And look how popular they've become. Hell, Ice Climbers apparently had some technical issues and probably got cut and the entire internet is practically burning down from the outrage. And the same people are shouting that Duck Hunt dog doesn't deserve to be in this game. Had ANYONE actually played or even HEARD of Ice Climber before Melee? Sakurai has a very good eye for unique fun characters, and I trust his judgement. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be one of the best SSB games yet.

Lastly, it was a couple pages back, but Duck Hunt dog totally is a part of gaming culture. How else would virtually the entire internet (even those who were too young to play Duck Hunt) know who he is, when his last game was 25 years ago?

Thank you, Ragnell. You put it perfectly.

Also lol at anyone saying that the Ice Climbers cut was so important that it was more important than every newcomer in this game INCLUDING Shulk. 'Aint no bringin' my Shulk hype down.

lol at dat salt

This game has the best newcomers in any Smash, and I'm not going to cry because Squirtle or Lucas was cut. I'm going to rejoice over Lucina. And Shulk. And Mii Brawler. And Villager. And Mega Man. And all the others (except Little Mac, not a fan).

I can't wait for the Doc to check back in, I'm sure I'll play him and Ludwig so much. Bowser Jr. was one of the best additions honestly. because I can play as Larry or Ludwig. If Andy, Zael, Squirtle, and Lucas were in, then I would buy both Wii U and 3DS twice. I'm buying one copy of each right now anyway.

Edited by Monado Boy

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but when was it proved that the roster image was the full, final roster, was it stated by the leaker? I've heard lots of rumours that say that there's more unlockable characters, just curious.

If anyone is interested, here's what I gathered will be Shulk's Specials from the trailer:

Neutral B will probably be a way to cycle through the Monado Arts. The footage shows symbols appearing behind Shulk while he stands in an idle position, but it seems like he makes a pose and shouts the name of the art when it is selected. My guess is that holding B will lets you cycle through the arts and releasing it on the one you like will activate it.

Side B seems like it will be Backslash. From the name and the actual art in Xenoblade, I would expect it will deal more damage/knock-back when it's used behind an adversary.

Up B will probably be Air Slash

Down B is the counter based on the visions that the Monado grants in the game.

(and the Final Smash is a Chain Attack)

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but when was it proved that the roster image was the full, final roster, was it stated by the leaker? I've heard lots of rumours that say that there's more unlockable characters, just curious.

We really have no solid evidence either way. Some leakers say there is more, but have no proof and a couple have been known to lie before. So eh, it's safer to assume this is it, but it's possible we'll get more.

Did anyone notice that whole, "Now it's Shulk time!" thing from the trailer? I mean, that's a total inside joke.

If anyone is interested, here's what I gathered will be Shulk's Specials from the trailer:

Neutral B will probably be a way to cycle through the Monado Arts. The footage shows symbols appearing behind Shulk while he stands in an idle position, but it seems like he makes a pose and shouts the name of the art when it is selected. My guess is that holding B will lets you cycle through the arts and releasing it on the one you like will activate it.

Side B seems like it will be Backslash. From the name and the actual art in Xenoblade, I would expect it will deal more damage/knock-back when it's used behind an adversary.

Up B will probably be Air Slash

Down B is the counter based on the visions that the Monado grants in the game.

(and the Final Smash is a Chain Attack)

The way he uses Back Slash in the trailer on Bowser even proves this even further to be honest.

Also, totally loving Chain Attack. Dunban and Riki are the best choices.

Well said, Ragnell! Well said! You really deserve a big delicious plate of chocolate chip cookies for that post. *hands over* ^^

Especially since you're a fellow Ike fan. :D

I hope that leaked image wasn't the full final roster. Because I still want Dixie and Vaati, plzzz, Sakurai! I'll settle for Vaati being an assist though. I just think handheld Zelda deserves more representation, especially Four Sword Zelda. All those games got in Brawl was some Toon Link alternate colors and one song, come on! I want Ezlo, Vaati, and other Four Sword trophies and stuff! The Minish Cap has some great music to include too!

We really have no solid evidence either way. Some leakers say there is more, but have no proof and a couple have been known to lie before. So eh, it's safer to assume this is it, but it's possible we'll get more.

Well then, hope still exists, if not in the game, at least in DLC, maybe. Something about Ice Climbers being cut seems wrong, I don't know, just me. Also nice speech earlier.

There's probably some super-hard-to-unlock characters in the game like Game & Watch and Mewtwo in Melee, or Wolf in Brawl.

Edited by Knight

I'm not really buying the technical difficulties for the Ice Climbers. They would require more work than a lot of characters but not so much more that it would cause them to get cut. Significantly less work than it'd take to make a new non clone character. If they have been cut I believe it was a decision made at the start of the game's development when they were making a game with the reasons being they don't think they're relevant or they reckon Rosalina's inclusion makes them less unique. I highly doubt they've been working on them for several months and cut them during production because they were too difficult to make. If they had plans for a ditto pokeball pokemon in Melee that would act like an Ice Climber for Melee then there's no way porting them over from Brawl would be too much trouble.

Edited by Jotari

Did anyone notice that whole, "Now it's Shulk time!" thing from the trailer? I mean, that's a total inside joke.

The way he uses Back Slash in the trailer on Bowser even proves this even further to be honest.

Also, totally loving Chain Attack. Dunban and Riki are the best choices.

I think it was mentioned earlier. I initially found it weird since it's Reyn's line, not Shulks, but it was a nice reference.

I also noticed that the 'environment' in which the Chain Attack happens is a reference to the visions. The whole background is in black and white and the effect around the screen is the same as the one in the game.

I was re-listening to the Shulk trailer and I noticed that there was a third Xenoblade song aside from 'Gaur Plains' and 'You Will Know Our Names'. From 0:57 to 1:02 the intro of 'Mechanical Rhythm' can be heard.

It's great that we're getting tons of Xenoblade music, but I'm starting to get worried that "Unfinished Battle" won't be one of the songs that makes it in. It was so tragically underused in Xenoblade itself (literally just one cutscene and battle, and it doesn't loop so if you don't win the battle by the time the song ends it will just turn into generic music), so I was hoping that it would get its time to shine in Smash.

Wondering if anyone in Xenoblade X could get a nod as a DLC char.

Unlikely, considering how far away the release of that game probably is. Nintendo will probably be done with Smash 4 DLC by then. Would be nice, though.

I think it was mentioned earlier. I initially found it weird since it's Reyn's line, not Shulks, but it was a nice reference.

That's pretty low of Shulk. Not even does he not let his best friend be part of his final smash, but he steals his catchphrase, too.

Might be unrealistic expectations but I hope Shulk's final smash rotates between all the available party members. Dunban and Rikki are cool but it'd be kind of weird if it was just them.

Edited by Jotari

I wonder what was with Riki about 1:30 in the trailer, where he seemed to heal (You Can Do It?) Shulk. Probably a special, but which one?

Oh and I love how Bowser got distracted by a random butterfly at the start of the trailer.

I wonder what was with Riki about 1:30 in the trailer, where he seemed to heal (You Can Do It?) Shulk. Probably a special, but which one?

Looked like an Assist Trophy to me. It would kinda suck if Riki got to be both an Assist Trophy and part of Shulk's final smash while Melia, Fiora, Reyn, and Sharla all got nothing. I mean, Riki is probably the only example in video game history of a "cute mascot party member" done right (being actually useful in battle, not being too intrusive in cutscenes, and actually having character depth all help), but he probably has the least storyline relevance out of all of them so it seems odd that he would get so much exposure.

I hope the others can show up in Shulk's final smash sometimes too. And that each party member at least gets a trophy.