SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Has anyone else considered my idea that the leaked roster is what we'll see in the base game, but that more characters will be added later? It would fit with Ragnell's above explanation (since they would want the CSS in the base game to look nice) and explain any other issues people have with the design and missing characters.

I actually suggested more characters coming and possible DLC characters based on your post last page (?), but I don't know where but I'm positive there was some CSS leaked image with fewer characters than the debated one, with 4 rows and 8 columns iirc. I noticed Lucina was not there but Marth, Ike and Robin were in that image. Sorry that I don't have it nor the source, but it's just me vaguely remembering it.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How will you guys go for unlocking characters? I'm going straight to online mode and unlock new characters after every other battle.

I'm going to look up how to unlock Lucina, do that immediately, but just play and be surprised by the others.

Is it already known how to unlock all the characters?

I'm pretty sure it's not.

How will you guys go for unlocking characters? I'm going straight to online mode and unlock new characters after every other battle.

Just play the game to full completion, I guess. Classic Mode, Smash Run, etc.

Also unrelated:

Bwj1NVpIcAEG313.jpg

Bayonetta should be in smash imo.

Dr. Kawashima is somehow disturbing. That's an uncanny-valley-level of creepyness.

He's a giant, disembodied, floating head, how is that not creepy!?

At least he doesn't have those devil horns, I suppose.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Since we can be pretty much 100% certain Sakurai is aware of the leak, the new pic either means:

1. Sakurai wants to prove to us that the leaked CSS isn't the full roster (basically saying that even though there was a picture inside All-Star mode among the leaked screenshots there still might be more characters)

2. Sakurai wants us to believe that the leaked CSS screen isn't the final roster even though it actually is.

If that's the case then Sakurai is clearly trolling with us yet again.

@Anacybelene: could you give me a page number or something? Because I am virtually positive it could not work without reordering the characters.

There's no second N or third E in my name lol. But anyway, sorry, I don't at all know what page it was on. But I believe it did reorder the characters, which I see no issue with.

If that's the case then Sakurai is clearly trolling with us yet again.

Would it really be that much of a surprise? Sakurai is the biggest troll in Nintendo. lol

"Unfortunately, Zero Suit Samus will not be participating in this iteration of Smash. ...Nah, just kidding!"

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, and I don't think we have to worry about the prices either (if there are any), because Sakurai doesn't come off as some greedy hardass.

Assuming he's the one who gets to price it, I'd agree with you.

Lucina being an unlockable and Marth not is kind of a waste, considering it seems like Lucina is the simplified Marth so it would be the other way around if anything.

I know this is somewhat unrelated, but why would there be the polar bear in Smash Run if the Ice Climbers aren't in? Yes, you can use the Kremlings argument against me, but Donkey Kong enemies were needed, so they fit in just fine. I'm thinking that taken down picture before was to hide the fact that the Ice Climbers are in. (And to jab the leak right in the chest.)

I know this is somewhat unrelated, but why would there be the polar bear in Smash Run if the Ice Climbers aren't in? Yes, you can use the Kremlings argument against me, but Donkey Kong enemies were needed, so they fit in just fine. I'm thinking that taken down picture before was to hide the fact that the Ice Climbers are in. (And to jab the leak right in the chest.)

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I'd LOVE for Ice Climbers to come back!

But there was a case before of where there was a stage + assist trophy, but no actual character to represent the series (Animal Crossing in Brawl). And plus, what Kremlings argument are you talking about? I've never heard of that!

It depends on WHO is unlockable in the first place for me. Although we do already know some answers to that. I won't be trying to unlock everyone though, since there are some characters I don't give a hoot about.

It depends on WHO is unlockable in the first place for me. Although we do already know some answers to that. I won't be trying to unlock everyone though, since there are some characters I don't give a hoot about.

wut

there are some things that you cant even get without unlocking every character

so you're ignoring dark pit or bowser jr just because you dont like them

eh wot

wut

there are some things that you cant even get without unlocking every character

so you're ignoring dark pit or bowser jr just because you dont like them

eh wot

So? As I said, I don't care. I never managed to unlock everything in Melee or Brawl either (except for characters because SSE). And fyi, I like Bowser Jr. and I'm glad he's in over someone like Toad or Waluigi. I hope that Daisy has become a proper alternate to Peach like the Villagers, Robins, and Wii Fit Trainers, even if it isn't a gender swap.

Edited by Anacybele

So you don't like Dark Pit?

I mean, that's fine, but the amount of scapegoating he gets is unreal, and it isn't really fair.

If you dislike him, that's fine. But if you blame him for getting in over Alph/Daisy/Black Shadow/Impa/whoever, it isn't really fair.

I'm just tired of all the Dark Pit bashing I see on GameFAQs. Hopefully, you see how strongly I feel about this.

(I actually am sad that Dr. Mario got in instead of Alph, but since he at least gets to be an alt, I suppose I'll make do)

There's no second N or third E in my name lol. But anyway, sorry, I don't at all know what page it was on. But I believe it did reorder the characters, which I see no issue with.

Jeez, my spelling is bad. Even when I'm looking right at your name I can't spell it, apparently. Haha sorry.

Anyway, the issue is that SSB4 3DS appears to use Brawl's CSS shifting mechanics. By that set of rules, characters CAN'T jump around the roster. It would be way too complicated, because characters can be unlocked in any order, so there's not necessarily one specific time that a character should move.

Using a spelling example (because I'm so great at spelling), look at the letters in the word "Discussion." D-I-S-C-U-S-S-I-O-N. This is like the final Brawl roster, and each letter is like a character in the roster. If you remove a bunch of letters - say, all the vowels - it becomes like the starting roster: D-S-C-S-S-N. Some letters are gone, but the remaining letters are still in the same order. As letters (or characters) are unlocked, they will fit back in their set place, regardless of which vowels are added back first. Unlocking "U" makes the word/roster D-S-C-U-S-S-N and so on. In Brawl there are multiple rows of characters, but they function just like reading in English: you go left to right in top row, then left to right in the 2nd row, and so on. The order is constant.

Trying to make the starting roster not be in the correct order, like starting with S-N-D-S-C-S, instead of D-S-C-S-S-N just makes the whole thing impossible. If I can add vowels back in any order, then when should the D move to its place the front? When a certain vowel returns? Or when the total letter count reaches a certain point? To further muck things up, characters from the same series are grouped together, so you have to keep, say, the S and C in "Discussion" together while completely scrambling the overall order. It's just way too complex.

That's why Brawl used the simple constant order of characters, and now it appears SSB4 is doing the same. Considering this rule, we can predict what characters can and cannot be added to the roster.

Edited by Ragnell

If you dislike him, that's fine. But if you blame him for getting in over Alph/Daisy/Black Shadow/Impa/whoever, it isn't really fair.

I agree. Clones take much less time to make than the regular characters, so I'll bet that Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were made at a point in development where the devs still had some time to work on the game, but not enough to make one full new character so instead they made 2 clones.

Edited by Shulk

they didn't include shin's mom

im boycotting smash

That's because Rick Astley got the most votes. As soon as the first person connects to an online match, the entire Nintendo online service will shut down. Any further attempts to connect will merely stream the music video for the greatest work of music of our time, "Never Gonna Give You Up".

If you seriously think that Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr./Dark Pit isn't in, then I don't know what to say. Especially if you think it's false.

So you don't like Dark Pit?

I mean, that's fine, but the amount of scapegoating he gets is unreal, and it isn't really fair.

I'm just tired of all the Dark Pit bashing I see on GameFAQs. Hopefully, you see how strongly I feel about this.

(I actually am sad that Dr. Mario got in instead of Alph, but since he at least gets to be an alt, I suppose I'll make do)

Alright, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said I liked OR disliked him. I've never played Kid Icarus: Uprising, so how can I have any sort of opinion? I'm neutral to him, nothing more. I'm not blaming any character for anything.

Edited by Anacybele

That too. I'm getting tired of it.

I WILL admit, however, that I'll find it stupid if Donkey Kong doesn't get at least three reps this time, because imo, Kid Icarus having three while DK has only two makes zero sense.