Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

Honestly, Ike has a lot of things going against him. Lack of popularity in Japan, and flavor of the month to name a few. However, I think it really depends on how many reps FE gets. If its 2, Ike has a slim chance of returning, 3 makes him probable, and 4 makes him almost a lock.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, Ike has plenty of things going for him. Popularity in the west, main character of two games, nice references in Awakening (if Roy being DLC means anything for Roy, Ike being DLC and getting a descendant and paralogue named after him means even more for Ike). He also has the advantage of being the most recent home console lord and the Wii U version of Smash Bros. will have mostly only home console game stages. And having PoR and RD stages wouldn't make as much sense without Ike around. Ike is hardly a flavor of the month.

Marth's two recent games were remakes, so technically, he still has only two titles. He's ahead of Ike, but I wouldn't say by miles.

Honestly, Ike has a lot of things going against him. Lack of popularity in Japan, and flavor of the month to name a few. However, I think it really depends on how many reps FE gets. If its 2, Ike has a slim chance of returning, 3 makes him probable, and 4 makes him almost a lock.

I fully agree with that statement.

Popularity in the west doesn't mean as much as popularity in the east. Ike is nowhere near Marth in terms of importance or relevancy to Fire Emblem. Marth is the first lord, only one to recieve remakes, most popular lord, and had even more references in Awakening than Ike. Ike is really a toss-up, and is just based on what Sakurai does with the game. Sakurai could do something crazy and prioritize things like 2 Awakening reps over Ike, who knows?

On the contrary, Ike has plenty of things going for him. Popularity in the west, main character of two games, nice references in Awakening (if Roy being DLC means anything for Roy, Ike being DLC and getting a descendant and paralogue named after him means even more for Ike). He also has the advantage of being the most recent home console lord and the Wii U version of Smash Bros. will have mostly only home console game stages. And having PoR and RD stages wouldn't make as much sense without Ike around. Ike is hardly a flavor of the month.

Marth's two recent games were remakes, so technically, he still has only two titles. He's ahead of Ike, but I wouldn't say by miles.

You keep bringing up popularity in the west, but they don't care about popularity in the west. They never have, they never will. They only care about what people in japan think, and he's not the most popular over there. Why do you keep thinking they care about the west?

Why would the home console version have PoR or RD stages? The games are old, they're not relevant, and neither is Ike. Marth stays in because he's super popular over there, and is the FE representative, and that's it. If we get FE stages, they'll be from FE13, because they're relevant. "Most recent" doesn't say much when you're going on 6 years old; If Sakurai even cared about these things, which it's fairly obvious he doesn't, given the Wii Fit Trainer.

Ike is incredibly flavor of the month, what are you talking about? He's another blue haired fights for what's right FE lord. We've had plenty of those, and they're not much different from each other. Most of the time, the only things separating our blue haired animes are if they're royal or not, maybe some slight characterization here and there.

Listen, I realize you like Ike, but a lot of your "points" aren't points, they're your opinions. That's fine, you're welcome to them, but I would appreciate it if you'd stop parading them around like they're fact.

Popularity in the west doesn't mean as much as popularity in the east. Ike is nowhere near Marth in terms of importance or relevancy to Fire Emblem. Marth is the first lord, only one to recieve remakes, most popular lord, and had even more references in Awakening than Ike. Ike is really a toss-up, and is just based on what Sakurai does with the game. Sakurai could do something crazy and prioritize things like 2 Awakening reps over Ike, who knows?

Yeah, this. For all we know they could boot Marth entirely and we could just get Chrom and Lucina. I mean, I doubt it, but it's more likely than Ike staying.

Edited by Child of the Tenth Month

If they didn't care about popularity in the west, why did Ike make it into Brawl? Hell, why release ANY Smash Bros. games out here at all? Popularity in the west does matter. In fact, popularity isn't even the most important factor. Wii Fit Trainer is a perfect example of this.

The Wii U version will have home console stages because it was confirmed that it would while the 3DS version will have stages from handheld games. Ike is still relevant to the series and so are his many fans out west. Otherwise, why would he have gotten a descendant and paralogue named after him and crap in Awakening? The answer is one word: fanservice. As in, service to Ike's fans.

PoR is fairly old, but RD isn't and it's still the most recent home console FE.

Opinions? I'm not giving out any opinions here. Only facts. It's FACT that Ike is the main character of two games. It's FACT that he's popular in the west. It's FACT that he has references in Awakening. I don't know where you're seeing any opinions at all. My liking of Ike has absolutely nothing to do with this debate or my reasoning.

Also, based on your logic, Marth is flavor of the month too. He's a blue haired lord that fights for what's right and is a royal. We've seen lots of those too.

I think Ike staying is much more probable than Marth getting the boot for someone like Lucina. Marth, as we all agree is the top mascot and has also been in the past two Smash Bros. games.

I'm a horrible person too.

This is a bit old, but wouldn't polling people who DIDN'T play FE defeat the purpose of finding a good representation for the series? Not only that, but Ike isn't the only FE representation in the Smash Bros series, he's got Marth and Roy to compete with as well...

No, because it's for Smash. And this game is about the general Nintendo's fanbase. Here, my opinion is just as good as yours. Even if I would rather have Tharja, or Caeda than Chrom or Roy.

Ike was in Brawl because he was the most recent lord. Wii Fit Trainer is what most people are considering this games "WTF" choice like G&W and R.O.B were. Marth isn't flavor of the month because he is seen as the mascot of the series and was the original. The fact that he got DLC and a descendant in Awakening doesn't mean anything. Ike isn't that relevant to the series anymore, just like how the majority of the lords are. I do think Ike staying is more likely than Marth getting the boot, but I don't think that affects if he should make it in.

If they didn't care about popularity in the west, why did Ike make it into Brawl? Hell, why release ANY Smash Bros. games out here at all? Popularity in the west does matter. In fact, popularity isn't even the most important factor. Wii Fit Trainer is a perfect example of this.

The Wii U version will have home console stages because it was confirmed that it would while the 3DS version will have stages from handheld games. Ike is still relevant to the series and so are his many fans out west. Otherwise, why would he have gotten a descendant and paralogue named after him and crap in Awakening? The answer is one word: fanservice. As in, service to Ike's fans.

PoR is fairly old, but RD isn't and it's still the most recent home console FE.

Opinions? I'm not giving out any opinions here. Only facts. It's FACT that Ike is the main character of two games. It's FACT that he's popular in the west. It's FACT that he has references in Awakening. I don't know where you're seeing any opinions at all. My liking of Ike has absolutely nothing to do with this debate or my reasoning.

Also, based on your logic, Marth is flavor of the month too. He's a blue haired lord that fights for what's right and is a royal. We've seen lots of those too.

I think Ike staying is much more probable than Marth getting the boot for someone like Lucina. Marth, as we all agree is the top mascot and has also been in the past two Smash Bros. games.

Ike made it into Brawl for the same reason Roy made it into Melee. They were recent FE lords at the time. That's about it. They release it here because it sells, and they want money. They know people in the west will buy it even if what they want isn't included because it's still Super Smash Bros., and people will enjoy playing it even if their precious bb characters didn't make it in. Another lovely example of a game that sells well in the west without them caring about the west is Dynasty Warriors. Koei caters to the East audience, and then brings it over here. It sells.

Yes, I know that. I said why would it have PoR and RD stages. Brawl had one FE themed stage. I was suggesting the home console version would have a different FE13 stage than the Arena. They never said that the console version would have JUST console game stages.

PoR and RD were only two years apart, if one is old then so is the other. ana pls.

How is it a fact that he's popular out west? Do you have polls? Numbers? Surveys? No? Then that is your opinion. Unless you've concrete proof that Ike is super popular over here it's nothing more. And plenty of characters have references in Awakening, what's your point? They reference tonnes of them just in the dialogue, and plenty of other characters get DLC. Ike got a reference through Priam, and? It could have been any other character. Do you know why they chose Ike? No one does. Why don't you call up Intelligent Systems and query them some.

Yes, he is. He's generic, boring, and fights for what's right. They all are. The reason Marth is different from Ike is because he's the first. He's gotten remakes. He's super popular in Japan. Ike isn't. He isn't any of those things. This is why Marth stays and a new FE character is brought in every time. It won't be any different this time.

Your liking of Ike has everything to do with this debate. If you didn't like him, you'd stop and realize that "yeah, they probably will remove him, just like they did Roy, because some new FE lord has come along and they're going to milk that cow".

OcarinaofDoom, I like you.

I see Ike getting the cut for Chrom since Awakening is both popular and more relevant, and I don't see FE getting more than 2 reps. The only thing Ike has going for him is the fact that he isn't a clone.

/me pulls out hair

Sakurai doesn't add representatives. He adds characters.

We're not playing Super Smash Congressmen!

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

/me pulls out hair

Haha, now I imagine the US Congress with them on the seats... lol

/me pulls out hair

To be fair, I think that game would be fairly entertaining

you could hold matters in the Supreme Bros. Court, and the arguing parties would fight it out |D

I'll bet that's how they decide things at work in Nintendo

Characters represent their games. They are representatives for their series.

Only in the sense that they're from those games.

Sales =/= # of slots

This is not Nintendo congress. Characters get in on their own merits.

Ike made it into Brawl for the same reason Roy made it into Melee. They were recent FE lords at the time. That's about it. They release it here because it sells, and they want money. They know people in the west will buy it even if what they want isn't included because it's still Super Smash Bros., and people will enjoy playing it even if their precious bb characters didn't make it in. Another lovely example of a game that sells well in the west without them caring about the west is Dynasty Warriors. Koei caters to the East audience, and then brings it over here. It sells.

Nope, Ike was in Brawl for entirely different reasons. Roy was only in Melee for advertising purposes since his game wasn't out yet. By the time Brawl came, Ike had both games out, one already for three years. Ike was there because the west likes him, he has two games instead of one, and he is more important to the series than Roy. Also, if Ike was there just to advertise his games, they would've used his RD model since RD was the new game at the time.

And exactly, they want money, and if they can get more fans, that means more money. So they MUST care about western fans. I won't enjoy playing it if I can't play as characters I like. Luigi would be my only option if Ike and Toon Link are cut from Smash Bros. 4. Giving me little reason to buy it at all.

Yes, I know that. I said why would it have PoR and RD stages. Brawl had one FE themed stage. I was suggesting the home console version would have a different FE13 stage than the Arena. They never said that the console version would have JUST console game stages.

Except Awakening is only for 3DS, so I doubt Sakurai is going to put a stage from it in the Wii U version.

PoR and RD were only two years apart, if one is old then so is the other. ana pls.

Three, actually. PoR came out in 05, RD in 08, the same year as Brawl, but earlier.

How is it a fact that he's popular out west? Do you have polls? Numbers? Surveys? No? Then that is your opinion. Unless you've concrete proof that Ike is super popular over here it's nothing more. And plenty of characters have references in Awakening, what's your point? They reference tonnes of them just in the dialogue, and plenty of other characters get DLC. Ike got a reference through Priam, and? It could have been any other character. Do you know why they chose Ike? No one does. Why don't you call up Intelligent Systems and query them some.

I've seen many polls and Ike won them all, though Hector and Sigurd are usually not far behind him. Ike got more references than most other lords. DLC, Spotpass, descendant, paralogue named for him, Owain dialogue, etc. Not every other past FE character has that.

I don't know for sure why Ike was in, but evidence points to my theory. I wouldn't believe it to be true otherwise.

Yes, he is. He's generic, boring, and fights for what's right. They all are. The reason Marth is different from Ike is because he's the first. He's gotten remakes. He's super popular in Japan. Ike isn't. He isn't any of those things. This is why Marth stays and a new FE character is brought in every time. It won't be any different this time.

"Every time"? A new FE character was only brought in ONCE. Only one has ever been replaced and that's Roy. You can't call that a pattern.

Your liking of Ike has everything to do with this debate. If you didn't like him, you'd stop and realize that "yeah, they probably will remove him, just like they did Roy, because some new FE lord has come along and they're going to milk that cow".

Nope. I like Ephraim a lot, but I'm not starting any debates about him because I don't believe he has much of a chance of getting in. You are entirely wrong here.

/me pulls out hair

Best thing I have seen all day. Seriously, I'm still laughing here....

Nope, Ike was in Brawl for entirely different reasons. Roy was only in Melee for advertising purposes since his game wasn't out yet. By the time Brawl came, Ike had both games out, one already for three years. Ike was there because the west likes him, he has two games instead of one, and he is more important to the series than Roy. Also, if Ike was there just to advertise his games, they would've used his RD model since RD was the new game at the time. Development of Brawl started in 2005, and probably before Ike's RD model was made. Ike was put in soley because he starred in Path of Radiance.

And exactly, they want money, and if they can get more fans, that means more money. So they MUST care about western fans. I won't enjoy playing it if I can't play as characters I like. Luigi would be my only option if Ike and Toon Link are cut from Smash Bros. 4. Giving me little reason to buy it at all. They care about them, but Sakurai doesn't choose characters based on what they want. If that was the case, we would have Ridley by now.

I've seen many polls and Ike won them all, though Hector and Sigurd are usually not far behind him. Ike got more references than most other lords. DLC, Spotpass, descendant, paralogue named for him, Owain dialogue, etc. Not every other past FE character has that. Almost had DLC and Spotpass, and Owain dialouge was done in localization. Just says that the translation team likes Ike. Also, did these polls include Chrom and Lucina? Because they probably get a lot of votes.

Nope, Ike was in Brawl for entirely different reasons. Roy was only in Melee for advertising purposes since his game wasn't out yet. By the time Brawl came, Ike had both games out, one already for three years. Ike was there because the west likes him, he has two games instead of one, and he is more important to the series than Roy. Also, if Ike was there just to advertise his games, they would've used his RD model since RD was the new game at the time.

And exactly, they want money, and if they can get more fans, that means more money. So they MUST care about western fans. I won't enjoy playing it if I can't play as characters I like. Luigi would be my only option if Ike and Toon Link are cut from Smash Bros. 4. Giving me little reason to buy it at all.

Except Awakening is only for 3DS, so I doubt Sakurai is going to put a stage from it in the Wii U version.

Three, actually. PoR came out in 05, RD in 08, the same year as Brawl, but earlier.

I've seen many polls and Ike won them all, though Hector and Sigurd are usually not far behind him. Ike got more references than most other lords. DLC, Spotpass, descendant, paralogue named for him, Owain dialogue, etc. Not every other past FE character has that.

I don't know for sure why Ike was in, but evidence points to my theory. I wouldn't believe it to be true otherwise.

"Every time"? A new FE character was only brought in ONCE. Only one has ever been replaced and that's Roy. You can't call that a pattern.

Nope. I like Ephraim a lot, but I'm not starting any debates about him because I don't believe he has much of a chance of getting in. You are entirely wrong here.

Prove that he was in for those reasons. Prove that the west likes him. Your stating your opinion once again like it's fact. I never said Ike was there to advertise, I said he was the most recent lord at the time of Brawl, therefore they threw him in. Ta-da. Melee came out 2001, Roy was 2002, therefore, along with their mascot Marth, he was the closest. Brawl came out in 2008, Radiant Dawn ike was 2007, ta-da. Closest. This isn't rocket science.

They don't specifically care about just your money. If they remove your characters and you don't buy it, the characters they add in will get them plenty of other sales. And once again, they cater to the east first. They make it to what Japan wants, and if the west wants it, they can have it too. I'm not the only person who has said this, and you are the only person pushing that they care about the west.

Why wouldn't he? Once again, he never said the stages were going to be locked to either version. He simply said that the versions would have some specific stages to themselves, not that every stage would be unique to either version of the game.

radiant dawn came out 07 in japan, path of radiance 05 in japan; two years. thus if one is old so is the other.

Where were these lovely polls? Were they Nintendo's own? Feel free to link them to support your point.

And I believe it to be random chance that they picked Ike, or perhaps they did because he was the last new lord before FE13, or even more so perhaps just because they wanted to expand FE lore, since Ike's ending has him traveling to distant lands. They wanted to make it seem as though all the FE continents were on the same planet. That doesn't make it about Ike, that makes it about lore.

Once he gets replaced here, it'll definitely be a trend ;D

I doubt if Ephraim was in Ike's situation, you'd be arguing as hard. Everyone on the forum knows how biased you are towards your bb Ike.

Development of Brawl started in 2005, and probably before Ike's RD model was made. Ike was put in soley because he starred in Path of Radiance.

Oh, I didn't know this. Now Ike's inclusion means even less :D

Edited by I have opinions

I like how people are all like "This character should be cut for this character because he's more relevant and would represent recentness!" or "This character will get in before that character" never mind the fact that Sakurai's character merits says NOTHING about relevance, importance, popularity, and representation. What really matters in the end is character strength.

Besides, I think saying "Chrom should be in SSB4 to represent recent FEs!" is like saying "Sub-Zero is in Mortal Kombat to represent ice people!"

Although Chrom is probably more likely, I wouldn't surprise if we get Lucina, or someone more unique instead.

Also, Ike got in Brawl because Sakurai asked IS which FE character to put in. IS chose Ike.

Edited by Dark Legend Vampire

Yeah, Ike starring in PoR was a reason he got in, but most likely not the only one.

Prove that he was in for those reasons. Prove that the west likes him. Your stating your opinion once again like it's fact. I never said Ike was there to advertise, I said he was the most recent lord at the time of Brawl, therefore they threw him in. Ta-da. Melee came out 2001, Roy was 2002, therefore, along with their mascot Marth, he was the closest. Brawl came out in 2008, Radiant Dawn ike was 2007, ta-da. Closest. This isn't rocket science.

I said I can't prove it. It's just a theory, but a theory with plenty of evidence to back it up. I've already given this evidence in this thread too, so I'm not repeating it.

They don't specifically care about just your money. If they remove your characters and you don't buy it, the characters they add in will get them plenty of other sales. And once again, they cater to the east first. They make it to what Japan wants, and if the west wants it, they can have it too. I'm not the only person who has said this, and you are the only person pushing that they care about the west.

I'm not the only person that believes Ike has a good chance of staying and SHOULD stay either. And they do care about the west. You guys just want your beloved Chrom in over Ike when there's no reason both can't be included.

Why wouldn't he? Once again, he never said the stages were going to be locked to either version. He simply said that the versions would have some specific stages to themselves, not that every stage would be unique to either version of the game.

Actually, he has said that both versions will have mostly exclusive stages. I believe he means that only stages like Final Destination and Battlefield will be seen in both. It's just what I think though, it hasn't been confirmed.

radiant dawn came out 07 in japan, path of radiance 05 in japan; two years. thus if one is old so is the other.

You're still missing my point entirely. There hasn't been another home console FE since RD, so if the Wii U version will have many exclusive stages that are only from home console games, it would make a lot of sense to pick ones from RD. Kauku Caves is from RD and Riven Bridge was a map from both it and PoR, so they're my top picks.

Where were these lovely polls? Were they Nintendo's own? Feel free to link them to support your point.

I can't remember where ALL of them were off the top of my head. But a few were here (which Ike had many votes in all of), a few were on some non-FE forums, and a few others were probably elsewhere. Oh, also, in most of the random online matches I had in Brawl, at least one other person besides me used Ike.

Once he gets replaced here, it'll definitely be a trend ;D

IF he does, which I still highly doubt.

I doubt if Ephraim was in Ike's situation, you'd be arguing as hard. Everyone on the forum knows how biased you are towards your bb Ike.

Nope, I wouldn't. Believe what you will, but only I know how I'd act. And I love how people here assume that just because one is debating about one of their favorite characters automatically means they're biased and only biased.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd say there is about a 50/50 chance of Ike being replaced with Chrom, but if the FE series still only has 2 FE characters in Smash 4 then I say Ike will definitely be replaced with Chrom. (I'd laugh so hard if they got rid of Ike, added Chrom, and brought back Roy though as unlikely as that is.)