Mamma Mia! - Mario Character Discussion Thread

Ema Skye

Feel free to use this to discuss characters from the DK, Yoshi and Wario series as well.

So this is Nintendo's biggest series, entering the ring with over 200 games under it's belt. Mario is one of the most recognizable fictional characters ever.

Likely Newcomers: Bowser Jr., Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool

Bowser Jr., and Toad are who I consider to be the two most likely newcomers if the Super Mario series. Toad has been around for just as long as Luigi, Peach and Bowser have been, and he was one of the most requested characters for Melee. An appearance in Mario 3D World can only help his chances as well.

Bowser Jr., however, has a lot more prevalance in the series as of late. He's been a very recurring villain since he appeared in 2001, appearing in over 28 games in 12 years.

Paper Mario would be a character to showcase the Paper Mario games, and probably Mario RPGs as a whole because Geno's chances aren't good at all.

I'm not too sure why people want Waluigi, but he is a very recognizable character since the N64. Though he has the problem that he hasn't exactly done anything... noteworthy. While Bowser Jr., Toad and Paper Mario are either villains, sidekicks or heros, respectively, Waluigi just really exists.

After DKC: Tropical Freeze was announced, most people right now are thinking Dixie has a higher chance of being playable than King K. Rool. Though King K Rool is an incredibly popular choice as well. It's very possible that DKC could get two new characters, because of how few notable characters are left (and I certainly wouldn't be against it!).

Feel free to discuss these guys, alongside any other characters related to these games that you wish.

Nothing BUT Luigi. If he gets in, then I'm game. He's my best SSB character EVER, so he better get in.

Also, it'd be cool to see Bowser Jr. get in, as well. I dunno about Toad, since he's one of Peach's moves.

After the reveal trailer, I feel like all of what I thought about character additions was thrown out the window. I used to think Mario wasn't going to get another character, but now? Who knows. I like the idea of Junior the most. Toad and Paper Mario are alright, and I'm not a fan of Waluigi. I don't think Yoshi is getting another character, and same goes for Wario. Although I think Mona, Ashley, Syrup, and Kamek would all be really cool additions. Probably more interesting than any Mario newcomer. Lastly, one of the few characters I'm confident in is Dixie Kong. I can see K Rool being added as well, but Dixie is my choice first and foremost.

Ideally for me, we'd get: Junior, Dixie, King K. Rool and maybe Mona.

I remember that originally Dixie was gonna appear in Brawl pairing up with Diddy, going the Ice Climbers route. Since there was that article mentioning how one current problem was implementing characters of the same nature as the Ice Climbers, I wouldn't be surprised if this Diddy&Dixie tag team does happen for this next game... at least it may sound plausible.

I remember that originally Dixie was gonna appear in Brawl pairing up with Diddy, going the Ice Climbers route. Since there was that article mentioning how one current problem was implementing characters of the same nature as the Ice Climbers, I wouldn't be surprised if this Diddy&Dixie tag team does happen for this next game... at least it may sound plausible.

I was thinking this as well, but I figure if they're having trouble with AI for duo characters like IC's and Olimar, I'm thinking she'll be solo. Which is fine, she's definitely a strong enough character to be a standalone.

I would love Junior if he came with his Paintbrush and wasn't just a mini-Bowser clone. I don't really like the idea of Toad as much as I love him, but if he got in he'd probably be one of my mains, as contradictory as that sounds :P

Paper Mario and Waluigi I definitely do not want.

I know this is not happening, but I still want Fawful playable dammit!

As for spin off franchises, I want K Rool but I think we might get Dixie. Wario and Yoshi don't need any more characters.

I was thinking this as well, but I figure if they're having trouble with AI for duo characters like IC's and Olimar, I'm thinking she'll be solo. Which is fine, she's definitely a strong enough character to be a standalone.

Okay, I went to search for the articles, and it says that this problem is only present for the 3DS version.

So I wouldn't rule this out, since that means that it's not a problem right now for the Wii U version.

Okay, I went to search for the articles, and it says that this problem is only present for the 3DS version.

So I wouldn't rule this out, since that means that it's not a problem right now for the Wii U version.

True, but the roster is going to be the same on each game. So they'd have to fix the mechanic in order for it to work. Which I'm sure they will.

I think Daisy has a pretty decent shot at getting in, and I think Waluigi does as well on account of being an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Bowser Jr. is pretty popular, he probably has the best chance, and Toad I would like to say has a high chance but I really don't think he does. I think Toad has become just too generic to be included, which kinda sucks because I really like THE Toad.

Eh, not really into the Wario games too much, except the Wario Lands, so I think if anyone really got in then Captain Syrup might be a good choice.

I can't see anyone else from the Yoshi games, sorry.

King K. Rool and Dixie Kong would both be good additions. I think Dixie has the higher chance, as she was originally going to be in Brawl but was cut, and now she's being brought back in the upcoming DKC game on the Wii U so they might just finally bring her in.

Honestly, I think Daisy has a better chance than Waluigi. :/

Daisy has actually been in a game other than Mario sports and Party titles. Waluigi hasn't.

I think the Mario character with the best chances is Bowser Jr. though. He's had some big roles in recent titles, like the SMG games and NSMBWii and all.

Toad is definitely my most wanted Mario character. Seeing how he's the only one missing from the MK64 octet (8 Mario characters that were used constantly in a lot of Mario games) and all the other 7 are playable in Brawl, I personally think he's the most logical choice. Bowser Jr. doesn't really have the seniority or the rich history that spanned decades with the other 7 Mario characters.

I'd also want Rosalina in, but that's insanely unlikely.

As for Donkey Kong characters, King K. Rool is my most wanted. Sure, there's Dixie, but 3 hero characters from a single series seems like too much. They've also never had a series feature 3 or more characters without having a villain (barring Pokemon in Brawl). K. Rool may not be that likely, due to his lack of appearances in the past decade.