The difficulty jump from Normal to Lunatic is astounding.

ZemZem

Considering I beat the game in HM without promoting (and I just realized I didn't use stat boosters), there are great ways to induce self imposing challenges to the game

That's the point. There are plenty of ways to make this game difficult. People saying that "it's too easy" should spend their time fixing that instead of complaining.

Yeah man, pass that shit over here!

What are some good ways of doing the first chapters of Lunatic without reducing it to Frederick Emblem: The Awesoming That Is Frederick?

EDIT: Interceptor posted at the same time i did. Ok cool beans, brah. I might actually give it a shot if i can leave Animal Crossing alone. har.

You'll still need to use Frederick a little bit, but over-using him is one way to make Lunatic a lot harder than it would normally be (because he falls behind, and you need your growth units for later).

For anyone that wants a leg up for Lunatic, I'd suggest a +DEF/-LCK or +DEF/-SKL Avatar, and use the strategies in my Lunatic+ guide (see sig) for the first couple of chapters. The motions are the same for vanilla Lunatic, and you'll have an Avatar that's strong enough to solo the game. It's hard to lose at that point, and you can add whatever other units you want.

EDIT: and post in the Lunatic Club thread if you get stuck somewhere. People are nice about helping with strategies if you need them.

Edited by Interceptor

I remember how I felt the first time I tried Lunatic after I played Hard, and I was amazed by the jump in difficulty but now I can't enjoy any mode except for Lunatic.

Lunatic is actually pretty flexible with who you can use, as I've been able to use characters like Virion, Inigo, and Owain in all of my playthroughs without grinding. (Granted I cheat to get Severa and Inigo early by being stingy with my gold so I can get Arvis to clear their paralogues by Nosferatu tanking.)

Edited by Kamina

:): Thanks.

Im a weak baby man and would go Lunatic/Casual so i think i may have some more wiggle room. Har.

I have a couple of friends that have stated that they will never EVER touch it.

There is absoutely no shame in going that route. xD

Look here:

5wd.png

I honestly feel like Lunatic does have a strict lurning curve, like it should for newer players.

However, it almost feels like despite many the methods to break it, reducing it to Frederick Emblem in the first few chapters is a bit... much.

As for the other thing:

wtm.gif

Time to break out the popcorn.

Anyone else want some?

I'll like to have some. Thanks!

That's the point. There are plenty of ways to make this game difficult. People saying that "it's too easy" should spend their time fixing that instead of complaining.

Maybe they are people who get used to games where the AI outright cheating, and grinding doesn't even secure victory, only make it more plausible to achieve (Hello older SMT games).

Honestly I would've liked if there was a Maniac mode in this game. Hard sometimes feels like it should be harder but I don't really like Lunatic.

The same. I don't know exactly how big the jump up from Hard to Lunatic is statwise, but I know I did a comparison on prologue and it's pretty astounding. Things like, Fred is less durable on Lunatic than Chrom is on Hard (and not much more than Lissa is). And the difference just keeps getting bigger, although it becomes easier and easier to deal with it.

Maybe they are people who get used to games where the AI outright cheating, and grinding doesn't even secure victory, only make it more plausible to achieve (Hello older SMT games).

Exactly, they don't realize they're complaining for something that is going to affect us.

We can always make the game 'harder' and not other way round.

If not challenging enough, there's always room to fine other challenges.

Playing hanging upside down from ceiling is can be one, so is finishing the game without save or during single battery charge without adapter.

IMHO Frederick Emblem is a really poor strategy. Feeding kills to the MU is much more reliable. after the prologue Frederick is just used to pair up following this strategy.

Using Frederick as a lead during the early chapters is fine, and necessary if you want to play quickly. The only chapter where reliability suffers from not feeding the entire map to the Avatar is Chapter 2, and even that can be done reliably at a quick pace with a Frederick-heavy strategy. That said, feeding the Avatar kills that would otherwise go to Frederick opens more options if you're playing at a more leisurely pace.

I would've liked to see some boosts to a lot of the earlygame units' bases, since I found they were remotely unusable (Stahl gets 1RKOed by everything on the map with that shitty 5 base SPD.).