Making archers better

cyron

I do wonder why they keep giving archers horrible bases. I mean why does someone like Wolt start out with the worst bases AND no enemy phase, while the horses have better stats, movement and an actually existing enemy phase?

I know the idea is that archers can safely chip away at the enemies so the others characters might not risk an counter, but the enemies in most fire emblem games are just so sucky that you hardly need it. It doesn't help that in most games mages are better at everything then snipers.

This game was even unkinder to archers. Horrible skills and there was no reason to use bows. Javelins and hand axes are weak like in fe12, but one range weapons work in duel strikes at two range as well, which makes hand axes and javelins just as good.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder why they keep giving archers horrible bases. I mean why does someone like Wolt start out with the worst bases AND no enemy phase, while the horses have better stats, movement and an actually existing enemy phase?

I know the idea is that archers can safely chip away at the enemies so the others characters might not risk an counter, but the enemies in most fire emblem games are just so sucky that you hardly need it. It doesn't help that in most games mages are better at everything then snipers.

This game was even unkinder to archers. Horrible skills and there was no reason to use bows. Javelins and hand axes are weak like in fe12, but one range weapons work in duel strikes at two range as well, which makes hand axes and javelins just as good.

Virions Garbage base is only second to like Rebbeca/Wolt or something, and thats really saying a lot

As for Horsie, this IS IS were talking about. Because apparently desert movement and Horse killing weapon means no horse > Horse

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Put Dragons!

And Wyverns!

And Flying Dragons!

And an Indosiar Dragon who gives 300 EXP per kill and has flying weakness!

Also more Dragons to kill!

In retrospect though, the only time I ever really used Virion was during the early game wyvern maps due to the lack of mages. Had I access to mages with wind tomes, I might have discarded him completely D:

In the end, I find that inclusions of more dragons wouldn't really make archers more useful as a unit since mages are, for me, a better alternative (They just feel easier to use in general)

I really wish they got more useful skills though. Like a 3 range skill for Snipers or something.

This may be the 238th time that I've made this point -- perhaps even in this very thread -- but Lunatic+ gives you an excellent reason to use Bows, called "Counter".

Several FEs have had alternatives to Archers/Snipers when it comes to using bows, Awakening isn't really new when it comes to that.

Several FEs have had alternatives to Archers/Snipers when it comes to using bows, Awakening isn't really new when it comes to that.

You're experiencing Counter FAR before you can have anyone else other than Virion in your team that can access bows in that hell of a mode. They're better than tomes because they don't counterattack at close range, though stating the obvious.

Archers/Snipers have easy access to Bowfaire and exclusive use of the special 3-range weaponry. They also have pretty good defensive parameters: tied with Warriors for best DEF amongst bow-using classes, for example.

Sorry if this has been suggested already. I couldn't be asked to read 7 pages of posts, to make this simple suggestion.

I for one think archers would be better, n' use them a lot more, if they all had different hats from around the world.

Virion? A teal coloured fez, of course.

Noire? A Robin Hood hat, duh.

disneyrh001.jpg

It'll all make sense now. It could've been an ongoing thing, that spans accross all of the games. Imagine if FE8's Neimi wore a bowler hat?

Edited by Peckingbird

Like Beastbane is locked to taguel give them a skill that is also locked to them, like galeforce that can activate multiple times in a turn

If enemy phase is the problem, why not add counter (As some have noted) or some sort of damage mitigation or avoidance abilities? For example, one that increases Avoid for every person within attack range (By which I mean the number of enemies that could potentially attack you). Properly balanced, I think that could work as some way of safely placing Archer classes in the fray. Of course there would have to be a cap on avoid, otherwise it would be ridiculous.

Or make the skill Zeno's AP: At any given point in time, the enemies HAVE NO MOV STAT.

Edited by Vernatio

I for one think archers would be better, n' use them a lot more, if they all had different hats from around the world.

Virion? A teal coloured fez, of course.

Noire? A Robin Hood hat, duh.

It'll all make sense now. It could've been an ongoing thing, that spans accross all of the games. Imagine if FE8's Neimi wore a bowler hat?

It would certainly get me to use archers more. D:

I demand artwork of this conceptual image!