How to obtain a Bolting

Knife

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized this would be very good for my mage run. Unfortunately, since I'll be using him, I didn't rob Tormod of Celerity. Since I forgot, I'm on 2-E and haven't raised Heather. Looks I'll be doing some Battle Save/BEXP abuse.

You shouldn't be raising Heather normally anyway, since it is most likely that she won't won't grow STR through normal level up (though you could BEXP abuse at later levels). Since you're doing a Mage only playthrough, you should give her an Energy Drop, since it is pretty pointless for Magic users (most magic users cap STR anyway, except for Sanaki). The Celerity isn't necessary, but it makes things much easier.

Hmm, if Heather's the only one that can get it then I'll probably never get it. She needs 20 strength to steal it?! Are there even enough energy drops to raise her strength that high? The bexp isn't worth using on her imo. I'll pass since I don't use Heather. She's only good for stealing but I don't steal (never needed to) so she's useless to me.

Hmm, if Heather's the only one that can get it then I'll probably never get it. She needs 20 strength to steal it?! Are there even enough energy drops to raise her strength that high? The bexp isn't worth using on her imo. I'll pass since I don't use Heather. She's only good for stealing but I don't steal (never needed to) so she's useless to me.

That's about one Energy Drop and 3 BEXP abuse levels. It shouldn't be too hard. The ability to get a OHKO on a Red Dragon from up to 16 spaces is pretty useful, especially when you have a team of Magic users whose worst nightmare is Red Dragons.

That's about one Energy Drop and 3 BEXP abuse levels. It shouldn't be too hard. The ability to get a OHKO on a Red Dragon from up to 16 spaces is pretty useful, especially when you have a team of Magic users whose worst nightmare is Red Dragons.

That's gonna be REALLY hard. Strength is Heather's second lowest growth (25, only magic is lower). You're gonna have to restart A LOT and I don't think it's worth the effort. An all magic team can already beat the dragon chapter easily with Thoron/Arcthunder and most of them can heal each other if they need to. It would make that chapter a lot easier but it's only one chapter and it's not that hard to beat if you use the right strategies. I don't think its worth all that trouble to try and get Heather's strength to 20.

That's gonna be REALLY hard. Strength is Heather's second lowest growth (25, only magic is lower). You're gonna have to restart A LOT and I don't think it's worth the effort. An all magic team can already beat the dragon chapter easily with Thoron/Arcthunder and most of them can heal each other if they need to. It would make that chapter a lot easier but it's only one chapter and it's not that hard to beat if you use the right strategies. I don't think its worth all that trouble to try and get Heather's strength to 20.

An alternative is to use Sothe and steal a Bolting from the Thunder Sage on Final Chapter (1), I think.

An alternative is to use Sothe and steal a Bolting from the Thunder Sage on Final Chapter (1), I think.

That's hard too (maybe even more hard) cause of Hetzel and the bishop putting your guys to sleep. How are you going to get Sothe up there without him falling asleep and before Silence wears off on the Bolting sage? Not to mention that there are quite a number of enemies between the thunder sage and your starting postition, I don't see Sothe making it up there for a while. Anyways, bolting's only useful for one chapter and if you've beaten the game several times, you probably already have a strategy for 4-E-3. It's not worth the effort imo.

That's hard too (maybe even more hard) cause of Hetzel and the bishop putting your guys to sleep. How are you going to get Sothe up there without him falling asleep and before Silence wears off on the Bolting sage? Not to mention that there are quite a number of enemies between the thunder sage and your starting postition, I don't see Sothe making it up there for a while. Anyways, bolting's only useful for one chapter and if you've beaten the game several times, you probably already have a strategy for 4-E-3. It's not worth the effort imo.

My friend's strategy is to rescue Sothe with Tibarn and drop him in front of the Thunder Sage. Tibarn had Savior, so he was fine while carrying him. He then had Naesala one shot Hetzel after Caineghis obliterated all the enemies in the way. I saw him do it, so I know it works. He reset it the first time, though, since Hetzel put Caineghis to sleep.

My friend's strategy is to rescue Sothe with Tibarn and drop him in front of the Thunder Sage. Tibarn had Savior, so he was fine while carrying him. He then had Naesala one shot Hetzel after Caineghis obliterated all the enemies in the way. I saw him do it, so I know it works. He reset it the first time, though, since Hetzel put Caineghis to sleep.

That sounds pretty cool, but is it possible without royals? I imagine it'd be pretty hard to do. I'm guessing your friend got lucky that the bishop in the back didn't put anyone to sleep. That must've been cool to watch your friend steal a bolting.

That sounds pretty cool, but is it possible without royals? I imagine it'd be pretty hard to do. I'm guessing your friend got lucky that the bishop in the back didn't put anyone to sleep. That must've been cool to watch your friend steal a bolting.

Actually, I think you can do it with Jill or Haar, if you give them Savior. And Battle Save abuse so no one gets put to sleep. I'm not sure. And it sure sounds freaking difficult, since they're Dracoknights and that's a Thunder Sage. You could try with a Falcon Knight, but Haar/Jill has more Defense, and so survives more hits. The latter being more useful if you have no Canto distance left (Since Jill has more dodge) and the former if you do have some Canto left. In theory, at least, since I've never tried.

Edited by Camtech075

Actually, I think you can do it with Jill or Haar, if you give them Savior. And Battle Save abuse so no one gets put to sleep. I'm not sure. And it sure sounds freaking difficult, since they're Dracoknights and that's a Thunder Sage. You could try with a Falcon Knight, but Haar/Jill has more Defense, and so survives more hits. The latter being more useful if you have no Canto distance left (Since Jill has more dodge) and the former if you do have some Canto left. In theory, at least, since I've never tried.

Yeah, that sounds REALLY hard to pull off. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Bolting would be a big help but the dragon chapter isn't that hard that. You shouldn't have to go to all that trouble just to get one.

Yeah, that sounds REALLY hard to pull off. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Bolting would be a big help but the dragon chapter isn't that hard that. You shouldn't have to go to all that trouble just to get one.

A lot of Red Dragons can two round a magic user, so a 10 square distance works wonders. But the Bolting is simply to optimize your Magic-only playthrough. BEXP resetting isn't hard at all, especially if you level up Heather and cap SPD and SKL. You could also consider using the Master Crown on her once you get lvl 10> for 2 STR.

Edited by Knife

A lot of Red Dragons can two round a magic user, so a 10 square distance works wonders. But the Bolting is simply to optimize your Magic-only playthrough. BEXP resetting isn't hard at all, especially if you level up Heather and cap SPD and SKL. You could also consider using the Master Crown on her once you get lvl 10> for 2 STR.

That sort of sounds like a waste of a Master Crown, unless you are planning to take her into the final chapter.

Do you actually use Master Crowns for anything else? Units autopromote at 21.

Good point. It's better to autopromote units anyway, since they'll have higher stats than if you used a Master Crown/Seal. As well as the fact that the unit receives a higher stat boost if it promotes at Level 21.

That sort of sounds like a waste of a Master Crown, unless you are planning to take her into the final chapter.

I took her to endgame and she sucked TONS of ass. She couldn't kill anything. I had to feed her kills cause I felt sorry for her and she ended up being #3 on my most kills list cause of that. She's not worth getting to the level where she can steal a bolting. That bexp and energy drop will be wasted on her. For an all mage playthrough, I can understand getting it. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Good point. It's better to autopromote units anyway, since they'll have higher stats than if you used a Master Crown/Seal. As well as the fact that the unit receives a higher stat boost if it promotes at Level 21.

Use a Master Crown at level 20. Problem solved.

Or be like my Ilyana and cap all your stats at 17, then use a Master Crown. That works too.

Use a Master Crown at level 20. Problem solved.

Or be like my Ilyana and cap all your stats at 17, then use a Master Crown. That works too.

Wow, your Ilyana must've been awesome. Did you give her all the stat ups or were you REALLY lucky with the RNG? Going by average stats, she doesn't even cap anything as a thunder mage (but she's really close to capping STR).

Lol. Has she really done that?

She sure has.

Even LCK?

I think so, though it was the last to cap.

Wow, your Ilyana must've been awesome. Did you give her all the stat ups or were you REALLY lucky with the RNG? Going by average stats, she doesn't even cap anything as a thunder mage (but she's really close to capping STR).

I had a few stats transferred, so that helped, but I did no abuse or stat-boosters. I don't even think I used BEXP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do you actually use Master Crowns for anything else? Units autopromote at 21.

I don't use mater crowns...very rare to be honest. Unless if the unit has already capped everything =/

Edited by Luxord

I use Master Crowns if they've hit Level 20 and I'm at base/they just happen to have one in their inventory. Or capping all important stats, yeah... but the latter happens to like a BEXP'd Soren, not to chars like Ike or Haar.