I started Playing Gaiden Just Now

Naglfar94

Hey guys well I just started playing Fire Emblem Gaiden today and well this is my first time playing a NES Fire Emblem :Orson: so what am I to expect? and what is different from the SNES and GBA Fire Emblem games? how hard is this one?

I recently finished my first run of gaiden not too long ago, and I found it fairly easy, but it can be pretty frustrating as terrain bonuses are pretty high (going as high as 60% evasion bonus, iirc) and you actually don't know how much hit you're going to have before the battle without calculating it yourself (same with damage, but that's pretty easy) and that's kind of frustrating.

It can be kind of hard to get into in my opinion, but I enjoyed it well enough. It plays pretty slow too, so the speedup button is your friend.

This one is like FE8 in that you can train at some point outside of main chapters and for the rest of the game. The problem is that leveling up in this game is rather slow eventually once you get even just a couple levels ahead of the enemy. Its useful to play on easy mode as it merely doubles the experience you get and nothing else. It merely can save your time grinding is all.

Otherwise, do not expect any great dialogue and animation from this game. If you can get past all of that I think its a nice little niche to the series.

As far as difficulty, its not that difficult at all simply because you can grind out your levels as much as you like. It will however get annoying towards the end of the game because a few situations deal with endless waves of enemies

I recently finished my first run of gaiden not too long ago, and I found it fairly easy, but it can be pretty frustrating as terrain bonuses are pretty high (going as high as 60% evasion bonus, iirc) and you actually don't know how much hit you're going to have before the battle without calculating it yourself (same with damage, but that's pretty easy) and that's kind of frustrating.

It can be kind of hard to get into in my opinion, but I enjoyed it well enough. It plays pretty slow too, so the speedup button is your friend.

oh that sucks but I could not help but notice that playing through the little parts I did no battle info which can be a problem on strong bosses. Thanks so I`ll keep all that in mind while playing it feels so strange going this far back but I had to at some point play the NES ones just to see how it is.

This one is like FE8 in that you can train at some point outside of main chapters and for the rest of the game. The problem is that leveling up in this game is rather slow eventually once you get even just a couple levels ahead of the enemy. Its useful to play on easy mode as it merely doubles the experience you get and nothing else. It merely can save your time grinding is all.

Otherwise, do not expect any great dialogue and animation from this game. If you can get past all of that I think its a nice little niche to the series.

As far as difficulty, its not that difficult at all simply because you can grind out your levels as much as you like. It will however get annoying towards the end of the game because a few situations deal with endless waves of enemies

yeah haha after the first battle I saw the map and thought right away wow FE8 style! oh so can easy mode be turned on any time through the game? I will be turning it on soon then for faster exp.

MODEDIT: hi don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe2/hint.html

Its only at file selection screen. I forget if its available at all points of the game or only just the beginning.

thank you very much! I tested it out it seems the easy mode thing only works on a new file not an already existing one so maybe I`ll start another file

This one is like FE8 in that you can train at some point outside of main chapters and for the rest of the game. The problem is that leveling up in this game is rather slow eventually once you get even just a couple levels ahead of the enemy. Its useful to play on easy mode as it merely doubles the experience you get and nothing else. It merely can save your time grinding is all...

Easy mode does one other thing: it allows you to freely swap items between Alm and Celica's parties without having to use the merchant/trader/runner/whatever guy.

Anyhow, general tips:

- Villagers work like trainees in later games. You don't have to accept the first class you are offered when promoting them; you can refuse and talk to the statue again to get a different option

- Sisters, Pegasus Knights, Swordfighters, and Archers are the good classes. Cavaliers and Soldiers are okay. Mages are bad.

- Magic costs HP. Watch out.

- Bows have a minimum range of 1 and can have a maximum range of 5. Watch out. Again.

- Fights tend to be much more like slugfests than other games. It can often take the concentrated efforts of several units to bring down some enemies, especially bosses or lategame Gold Knights/Barons. This is mostly due to accuracy rates being quite low all around. You'll get good use out of your fast-forward key.

But the important thing to keep in mind...is that if your playing this on normal, you got to remember to switch the Angel Ring with tavern men as you do want those growth increases throughout the game. However, their services are limited to only three, so be careful. On Easy however, you can switch items at any time.

Edited by 綾波

But the important thing to keep in mind...is that if your playing this on normal, you got to remember to switch the Angel Ring with tavern men as you do want those growth increases throughout the game. However, their services are limited to only three, so be careful. On Easy however, you can switch items at any time.

Oh so I can only trade it 3 times? aww that kinda sucks does that apply to all items traded in game? like weapons etc.

Easy mode does one other thing: it allows you to freely swap items between Alm and Celica's parties without having to use the merchant/trader/runner/whatever guy.

Anyhow, general tips:

- Villagers work like trainees in later games. You don't have to accept the first class you are offered when promoting them; you can refuse and talk to the statue again to get a different option

- Sisters, Pegasus Knights, Swordfighters, and Archers are the good classes. Cavaliers and Soldiers are okay. Mages are bad.

- Magic costs HP. Watch out.

- Bows have a minimum range of 1 and can have a maximum range of 5. Watch out. Again.

- Fights tend to be much more like slugfests than other games. It can often take the concentrated efforts of several units to bring down some enemies, especially bosses or lategame Gold Knights/Barons. This is mostly due to accuracy rates being quite low all around. You'll get good use out of your fast-forward key.

Mercenary/Swordmaster/Villager can become Villager. This is especially important for Celica who have a limited choice of character.

Cliff is considered a great mage, but he is great everywhere anyway, use him.

Don't grind too much before you obtain the Angel Ring (Except with the one who have infinite level up...), because the growths are crap in this game.

Res doesn't grow, so you're stuck with their base growth in most case. The only exception is whe,n you promote into Demon Knight.

This game have three tier promotion with most physical class (Excluding Alm, and FalcoKnight).

This game have BEXP.

No weapons Triangle and infinite uses for weapons. Consequently, there is no shop.

^this is correct. The formula for magic avoid is luck+speed, while physical avoid is speed+terrain bonus. http://www.serenesforest.net/fe2/calculation.html

I highly recommend using the Easy Mode on your first playthrough. The doubled experience will not only make grinding mostly superfluous, but allow you to use your entire team and experiment with what characters you enjoy the best. (In a normal mode playthrough, you sort of have to choose between having to use very few characters or grinding to keep everyone up to par)

Other than that, the main advice I would give you is don't overlook the sisters and pegasus knights. They appear weak at first, but they will be well worth your effort later on!

Oh yeah, and make Grey and Atlas mercenaries because their speed growths are terrible. :P

Edited by SRC

And also, there's that the Blessed Weapons can increase the players health per turn and the Darkness Sword can sometimes damage the user's health if the player hit the enemy and it can also give major damage on enemies if it isn't triggered and the shrines can give out the Stats Rose and the statues can allow the player can be promoted (there is a Thief Shrine can give about three uses).

And also, the Royal Sword that can give much damage on the enemy units and it only used for Alm only.

Edited by King Marth 64

Mercenary/Swordmaster/Villager can become Villager. This is especially important for Celica who have a limited choice of character.

Cliff is considered a great mage, but he is great everywhere anyway, use him.

Don't grind too much before you obtain the Angel Ring (Except with the one who have infinite level up...), because the growths are crap in this game.

Res doesn't grow, so you're stuck with their base growth in most case. The only exception is whe,n you promote into Demon Knight.

This game have three tier promotion with most physical class (Excluding Alm, and FalcoKnight).

This game have BEXP.

No weapons Triangle and infinite uses for weapons. Consequently, there is no shop.

Ah yes thanks I turned my cliff into a mercenary and gave him a thunder sword he does well like that but still has def problems :(

And also, there's that the Blessed Weapons can increase the players health per turn and the Darkness Sword can sometimes damage the user's health if the player hit the enemy and it can also give major damage on enemies if it isn't triggered and the shrines can give out the Stats Rose and the statues can allow the player can be promoted (there is a Thief Shrine can give about three uses).

And also, the Royal Sword that can give much damage on the enemy units and it only used for Alm only.

Wow a royal sword? nice! I need to get it for Alm! I got the Holy sword so far and gave it to Celica. However her route is a bit harder for me especially those dragon zombies I had Celica die the most times so far enemies seem to like to aim for her a lot.

^this is correct. The formula for magic avoid is luck+speed, while physical avoid is speed+terrain bonus. http://www.serenesforest.net/fe2/calculation.html

I highly recommend using the Easy Mode on your first playthrough. The doubled experience will not only make grinding mostly superfluous, but allow you to use your entire team and experiment with what characters you enjoy the best. (In a normal mode playthrough, you sort of have to choose between having to use very few characters or grinding to keep everyone up to par)

Other than that, the main advice I would give you is don't overlook the sisters and pegasus knights. They appear weak at first, but they will be well worth your effort later on!

Oh yeah, and make Grey and Atlas mercenaries because their speed growths are terrible. :P

Oops :( I kinda screwed up with Atlas I made him knight :( but I did make Cliff a mercenary atleast. and thank you for the evasion formula the rng in this game is kinda cruel I`ve missed many hits even at a high hit rate.

MODEDIT: hi please don't multipost in a row thanks~

Edited by Integrity

Wow a royal sword? nice! I need to get it for Alm! I got the Holy sword so far and gave it to Celica. However her route is a bit harder for me especially those dragon zombies I had Celica die the most times so far enemies seem to like to aim for her a lot.

And there is also Angel for female mages that will give a powerful effective damage against Draco Zombies and other monsters. They will work too for defeating Draco Zombies really quick.

Edited by King Marth 64

And there is also Angel for female mages that will give a powerful effective damage against Draco Zombies and other monsters. They will work too for defeating Draco Zombies really quick.

oh really? thanks for the advice I`ll need all the power I can get to beat dragon zombies. hmm gotta check my inventory I don`t remember picking an angel ring up yet.

oh really? thanks for the advice I`ll need all the power I can get to beat dragon zombies. hmm gotta check my inventory I don`t remember picking an angel ring up yet.

Whoa, hold up. King Marth meant the spell "Angel". Celica learns it at level 5. As said, it has effective damage against any type of monster and is fairly powerful in its own right.

Angel Rings are completely different; they up the Luck stat to 40, restore 5HP every turn and double the stat gains when leveling up.

You won't get one for a while, so don't worry about that.