FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I'm personally not a fan of Millety, bud. It's your patch and people have no rights to bitch at you because it's pretty damn rude, but I wouldn't change Miledy's name to something so...random.

It's not random in the slightest though. Millety is a perfectly legitimate name with tons of hits on Google and is a fairly accurate rendering of the Japanese name. I'm going to change Miledy's name but I don't want to change it significantly from the Japanese pronunciation. I think it's a little interesting that so many people are for an outright change like Melody but are opposed to something a little closer to the original.

If you need hacking help let me know. My skype is ballin1337. Honestly the best time to catch me is probably after 12AM EST.

I'm in Japan, so timing like that is easier said than done I'm afraid...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that one line saved my opinion of this

just one more thing, since you don't seem to have any actual hacking expertise (i'm sorry but feditor and minor graphical edits don't count), are you intending to fix all of the relocated text so that it's not a huge hassle to make an fe6-based hack from this ROM? ha implying anybody uses fe6 as a base

Edited by CT075

I'm in Japan, so timing like that is easier said than done I'm afraid...

but that's afternoon lol

you can PM me too but anyhow this is prob the last I'll check of this topic for a while (yay forgetfulness) so good luck

but that's afternoon lol

you can PM me too but anyhow this is prob the last I'll check of this topic for a while (yay forgetfulness) so good luck

Yes, early afternoon while I'm at work and still have several hours until I come home. These days I'm at work practically every day so Saturdays are no good, and I'm busy on Sundays with personal things.

just one more thing, since you don't seem to have any actual hacking expertise (i'm sorry but feditor and minor graphical edits don't count), are you intending to fix all of the relocated text so that it's not a huge hassle to make an fe6-based hack from this ROM? ha implying anybody uses fe6 as a base

No offense taken or anything, it's absolutely true I'm no hacker. I wouldn't know how to go about this, but I'm all for making the ROM easier to work with so if anyone wants to help me with this, I'm game.

This translation gets my approval for this line alone.

<3

Edited by gringe

ha implying anybody uses fe6 as a base

I'm going to. I know some other people who are, and plenty of others who have wanted to for a while.

Of course, I'm gonna use the FE8 palettes because they're plain better.

July 12th progress report:

Just boring stuff today really. Went through and edited every instance of the playable characters' names so the consistency is there already.

JnNDxEc.pngprvvi0R.pngpwFavHa.pngAMWE5nq.png

I woke up early this morning. Although it's still early, I sincerely doubt I'll be able to work on this anymore today. As such, here is July 14th's progress report.

I don't have much time and imgur doesn't seem to want to cooperate with a multi-image upload at the moment so here are a few choice screenies.

NHFsszO.png

yxX9jOr.png

Before Zephiel sounded like some kind of sadistic child-killer I think, but his intentions are more focused than that.

My2nrVF.png

4TqTcrO.png

A5zieD6.png

The removal of "young" here may be contentious, but the use of "young" doesn't imply pedophilia in Japanese so it seemed appropriate. Narcian isn't a pedophile. He's a sadistic narcissist and a potential rapist, but not necessarily a pedophile.

cLSHywl.png

I think "I'll oversee your evisceration" sounds a little more specific and terrifying than "tear you apart."

rnUMYHg.png

Ebjvzof.png

Well, made some progress today and also hit a slight snag. If anyone out there who knows more about hacking than me wants to help, I would much appreciate it.

For the issue, scroll down to the bottom.

DYkD2ks.png

yNWBxQC.png

Yeah, I decided to go with Klain. Claine was too easy to confuse with Clarine when reading quickly.

01r0JRu.png

The patch as it is refers to the Dragon Generals as Dragon Lords, which is kind of cool, but considering Narcian's class of Wyvern Lord could be confusing for people not paying too much attention so I decided to go with the more literal Dragon Generals.

EwZz6qm.png

aWWss3C.png

AVy3SOP.png

2XzScmm.png

iJB9K3O.png

2Fju1br.png

lg2ghb6.png

So here's the problem area. Rutger is supposed to be helping Clarine escape, but it just repeats this dialogue. I'm guessing a pointer is messed up, but I don't know how to fix that.

OS2TMTO.png

The proper dialogue is located at index 0072 for reference.

EDIT: derp forgot to post the patch. Hopefully it works. It gave me an error because it seems it's "at or above" 16 MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u66863g1walhb91/FE6-7-16-2013.ips

Edited by gringe

In feditor, there are options to move the pointer for text to another location and to expand the rom. I'm not even sure of the process anymore (I don't romhack I fexp :P) but I recall there being a process for it that's really common. Look in the romhacking section for common stuff about feditor, that should help.

Then again Omni is the feditor master so....

it's entirely possible that feditor managed to fuck itself up (again)

i doubt it's the ROM's problem nor anything you did, it's just probably being dumb because it's an old piece of software that nobody really feels like fixing up (myself included)

I just noticed in this version of the patch that the Support Conversation is acting really weird, I went to Support section during in the battle with Allen and Lance and then it didn't shows the conversation and it kinda stops Lance's map icon and I am not too sure about the others did the same like Allen and Lance's?

EDIT:

I just uploaded the video to show about the bug on the Support Conversation between Allen and Lance, I tested on Allen this time and he did the same thing like Lance did:

And also, "Quit" should be changed to "Suspend" and the Manakete class should be corrected to "Manakete".

And I just started in Chapter 3 and during in the Orphan where Lugh is in Turn 1 after Enemy Phrase, the conversation appeared to be really strange that there are some random hearts appeared and doesn't show the dialogue between Lugh, the Bishop, and the three children. And also, Chad's death quote needs to be edited too.

Edited by Syaoran

Hmm, not sure about support conversations. I haven't really touched them yet other than changing name spellings in the conversations. I'll see if the same happens to me.

I'm aware of inconsistencies with menu options but they aren't located in the Text Editor so I'll need to edit them directly later.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not getting that support problem. Either the IPS patch wasn't created properly or you applied the patch to a wrong version of the ROM. Did you apply it to a clean Japanese ROM?

I'll look into fixing the other dialogue problem later.

Edited by gringe

Hmm, not sure about support conversations. I haven't really touched them yet other than changing name spellings in the conversations. I'll see if the same happens to me.

I'm aware of inconsistencies with menu options but they aren't located in the Text Editor so I'll need to edit them directly later.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not getting that support problem. Either the IPS patch wasn't created properly or you applied the patch to a wrong version of the ROM. Did you apply it to a clean Japanese ROM?

I'll look into fixing the other dialogue problem later.

I did apply in a clean Rom and also:

I just got uploaded the Conversation from Chapter 3, here's those bugging conversation from the orphan that have the strange random hearts appears:

And I forgot to mentioned that Rude/Ruud's name hasn't been changed in his profile.

Edited by Syaoran

*video*

申し訳ありませんが、報告通りです。

バッグがあります。

It's as Mr. Hero's video there shows... That latest patch has some messed up text pointers.

And there's more... Fa's palette is screwing up.

I also bothered to check the Level Up Graphics by giving Roy 99 exp for a dodge, and it's not screwed up like what happened for some people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwp0HHOekkA

Edited by shadowofchaos

After comparing some of the changes you made with the site's script translations (http://serenesforest.net/fe6/script_03.html) I started wondering what sort of changes were being made and where the inspiration for some of the changes were coming from. In chapter 3, you have Zephiel using a line that compares Hector to a worm. The site's script on the other hand does not seem to have anything remotely close to this sort of translation.

Thus, my question for that particular part of the translation is "What influenced that particular line?" Is there an almost direct translation from Japanese to English that lead to that sort of description? Or perhaps the translation is vague when trying to carry over to English and thus you had to invent a nice filler to get the point across that would be of similar tone to the Japanese script?

I am mainly trying to get an idea of how well you are persevering the Japanese script. As far as I know there are often cultural references thrown into scripts that simply do not transfer over to the targeted culture. Similar case of jokes as well. In those cases, I think localisations attempt to remove those cultural references altogether or attempt to find an equivalent one in the targeted culture. I am wondering how you are handling those situations--if any--that you come across?

Edited by Vorena

Interesting bugs, but any additional issues likely arose from the bugged IPS patch. Sorry guys, it gave me an error but I made the patch anyway. The error happened because the file has gotten too big but I don't know how to control it. I'm not adding enough text that it should be as big as it's gotten (actually, in many areas, I've trimmed the text down so it should be roughly the same amount of text overall). I attempted dumping the text from the edited ROM and inserting it into a (not quite) clean ROM, but that didn't help with size. Actually, it made it worse. I'll try to find a solution, but since I don't really know what I'm doing hacking-wise it could potentially take a while.

Thus, my question for that particular part of the translation is "What influenced that particular line?" Is there an almost direct translation from Japanese to English that lead to that sort of description? Or perhaps the translation is vague when trying to carry over to English and thus you had to invent a nice filler to get the point across that would be of similar tone to the Japanese script?

I am mainly trying to get an idea of how well you are persevering the Japanese script. As far as I know there are often cultural references thrown into scripts that simply do not transfer over to the targeted culture. Similar case of jokes as well. In those cases, I think localisations attempt to remove those cultural references altogether or attempt to find an equivalent one in the targeted culture. I am wondering how you are handling those situations--if any--that you come across?

It's not "filler". I've done translations of manga for around 8 years so I've learned a lot about translation in that time. Basically, I've found that the important point of translation is to take the spirit or purpose of the original text and adapt it as a native speaker might write it. This often means almost ignoring the wording of the original script. Let's consider: what's the point of this exchange between Zephiel and Hector? Basically a powerful king is taunting a defeated lord. There's no need to specifically say "no one crosses Bern's army and survives" in the English adaptation. His point is "we are powerful, you are weak" but how can that be written in natural English? Unlike Japanese, English frequently uses metaphors and comparisons, so I decided to go with the often used "weak little worm" and compare it to a boot. There's no one way to write it, but this is how I chose to.

EDIT:

Found a temporary workaround for the filesize issue. Apparently the IPS format is limited to 16 MB but UPS seems to have no such restriction so I'll use UPS for now. Of course a solution to the size issue would be ideal but I don't really know where to begin just yet and I don't have the time to dig into it this week.

EDIT2:

Also, although that dialogue in Chapter 4 repeats itself, waiting one more turn plays the proper dialogue as it should. I guess I'll continue with the writing and I'll work on a bug fix when I have more time to play around with hacking (or someone with more expertise can help).

By the way, here's the UPS patch if you want to try again. Remember it's very much a work in progress so naturally many things aren't done yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bm3kays8gkchl5k/FE6upstest-7-17-2013.ups

Edited by gringe

I'm not adding enough text that it should be as big as it's gotten (actually, in many areas, I've trimmed the text down so it should be roughly the same amount of text overall).

NOPE.avi, it doesn't work that way

this is why i was asking you about re-allocating space

every time you edit with FEditor and save it, it creates new data that is generally tacked onto the end of the ROM because feditor has issues with FE6's supposed free space regions (we know they're there, it's just we don't know what the boundaries are)

every time you do a search-and-replace, you've essentially doubled the amount of text data in the game

[spoiler=technical details]If you want to get completely accurate, you're not really doubling it because it only alters text in the places where the searched term exists, but the amount of data may as well double because you're adding uncompressed text data into the ROM (as opposed to the regular text data which is compressed), so unless you're replacing something that only appears like once, it balances out to basically double the amount of text data in-ROM

if you make an edit to one part, then come back to it, that's another new entry entirely

Edited by CT075