FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

don't do that because it'll fuck things up in other ways (including more feditor-related ways)

this is incidentally why i'm opposed to the idea of using feditor to alter a translation patch

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like I'd know where to begin anyway so no worries there. ¯\(°_o)/¯

If the size is the only major issue that arises, and if it doesn't cause other issues, then I'll treat it as something that can't be helped.

In other news, I was able to fix the dialogue issue! Apparently the text strings for this chapter were all moved up an index?

K4y1fcn.png

CTnxlsf.png

I did the next couple chapters as well but have no save states for those chapters. >_>

At this point in time, I wonder if it would be best to simply do your translation of the game and put it into a text file or something and leave the hacking for a later date.

He can always hack the text into the game, then make a FEditor dump, then reinsert it later into a clean(ish) rom which would solve many, many problems.

Actually, this is exactly what I was thinking about doing. It would be a bit of a tedious process reinserting the text, but if that's what it takes, then hey.

What I would do is actually finish the work on a "sacrificial ROM" with all of it, DON'T do FEditor text dump, and just manually pointer all the text via a hex editor at the end of the ROM making sure FEditor never touches the initially translated one. And since all the commands are included in hex, the only trouble you will have is if you leave out a command or something during your copying and pasting.

Actually, this is exactly what I was thinking about doing. It would be a bit of a tedious process reinserting the text, but if that's what it takes, then hey.

congratulations you've still literally doubled the amount of text data in the game

All I have to say is ¯\(°_o)/¯

EDIT: Anyway, here's a progress report.

Wagner attempts to seduce Roy.

LHptR8P.png

2uzOfkB.png

Some characters are much more fun to write for than others. Guinivere and Roy are incredibly boring for example, but characters like this are a little more flavorful and it's easier to give them something a little more interesting to say. Not just, "Master Roy Master Roy someone wants an audience with you!" "Thank you, Merlinus," "Thank you, Roy," "You're never a burden, Princess." It gets a little repetitive sometimes.

diFvnMQ.png

Qfq2Zw1.png

4gd15c6.png

0Yj6biN.png

fVIJQCP.png

Nr1pxsq.png

It's pretty easy to condense a lot of this dialogue.

0PPSeLj.png

Edited by gringe

You only showed one side of the Cath/Roy conversation. Was Roy's dialogue changed at all?

Also, should we make a topic for name change debates so we have a chance of getting a consensus?

OK. We have a twelve-character limit for weapon names, right? "Binding Blade" and "Sword of Seals" are both too long to fit, and camelcase is unprofessional...

OK. We have a twelve-character limit for weapon names, right? "Binding Blade" and "Sword of Seals" are both too long to fit, and camelcase is unprofessional...

Or one could add in a smaller font in addition to the regular font, like they did in the FE12 translation patch

Or one could add in a smaller font in addition to the regular font, like they did in the FE12 translation patch

That reminds me, doesn't FE7/8 do that already with stuff like the Barrier staff's description?

I think some class names also do that (that's why they're %^?"?!!? in the script dump).

...And before I forget, please don't change Ellen's class name unless you have to. King Marth's suggestion doesn't really apply because Ellen is a Priest, not a Sister like Serra was--and we've already had Laura the female Priest in FE10.

Edited by VincentASM

So wait, are you saying I should call her a "priest"? Because her class name as it was in the patch was "sister." I already changed it to "cleric" which is pretty generic as it is and doesn't really imply much.

...And before I forget, please don't change Ellen's class name unless you have to. King Marth's suggestion doesn't really apply because Ellen is a Priest, not a Sister like Serra was--and we've already had Laura the female Priest in FE10.

Wait, Elen is a Priest? I thought that she was a Cleric and had the same map icon that Natasha's used in The Sacred Stones?

So far today, I've just done some consistency checks. Apparently "Dragon Generals" were referred to in FE7 by Vaida as "Wyvern Generals" so that's what I'll be using. Since only one of them actually rides a wyvern, it felt necessary to add in a short explanation because of this. Will probably have to do some very slight dialogue rewrites later in the story to account for the distinction between wyverns and dragons, which the original patch completely ignored.

bsEnaeS.png

8sjWckW.png

glC3de5.png

Also the Temple of Seals should be Shrine of Seals.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I added a line to Jerrot's intro dialogue. This was to account for a later dialogue Jerrot has with Noah in which he mentions he joked with Treck that Noah liked the girl he was coaching. In reality though, he didn't, so um. I do want it to be perfectly clear that I'm not changing dialogue or adding in lines whenever I like though. It's just very occasionally to account for inconsistencies or a lack of clarity.

rIf4xO3.png

R6WAYCB.png

pJB20xo.png

Edited by gringe

So wait, are you saying I should call her a "priest"? Because her class name as it was in the patch was "sister." I already changed it to "cleric" which is pretty generic as it is and doesn't really imply much.

Yup. Too lazy to upload a screen, but you can check this page.

Both Ellen and Saul have the same class, which is translated as "Priest" in the class roll.

It was in FE7 when they started calling them Clerics--probably to reflect FE1/3.

IMO, calling Ellen's class Cleric is kind of misleading and inconsistent (again, using Laura as an example), but it's not a big deal really.

Edited by VincentASM

That may be true, but even if we do say her class is different from Serra's, it's clearly the same class as Natasha from Sacred Stones at least, which was translated as "cleric" in the English versions. I'd rather maintain consistency within the GBA games than to later games.

I don't really understand how it's misleading, since "cleric" just means "someone who works in a church."

I dunno: from my understanding of a few religious organizations, there is a fundamental difference between a priest, who often leads or participates in rituals, and clergy members, who are more organizational members, who deal with relations between people and the organization. That's a fairly large difference in meaning that is not caught in your understanding "just someone who works in a church".

So in just how the English language operates, entirely exclusive of whatever backstory the FE6 has regarding Saul and Ellen, there is a difference to respect. Forcing Ellen into a Cleric dissolves her of this important meaning.

I don't mean this in a sexist way, but feminine names always have a context of less "power" and authority than male names. Priest is a predominantly male word while sister and priestess are female words, therefore they have the tone of less authority, with Cleric being even lesser than the previously mention terms.

I'm more for consistency with the other games of the era than I am for maintaining any kind of inferred power given to Elen through her class name. She's Guinivere's lady-in-waiting but other than that she doesn't seem to possess any real power. I won't change her Bishop class name, which surely implies more power than either Cleric or Priest.

Edited by gringe

Ironically, a princess's lady-in-waiting probably has more power than a priest. Being able to influence a princess's decisions, who can influence decisions made by the ruler, is much higher than what most priests, sisters, or clerics can say.

I think I have a solution.

Serra, Natasha and Lena share the class name シスター, roughly translates to "Sister". All are called "Cleric".

Moulder and FE9 Rhys share the class name 神官, roughly translates to "Priest". All are called "Priest".

(presumably Laura too, but I can't find anything on FE10)

Ellen, Saul and Wrys share the class name 僧侶, roughly translates to "Monk".

Therefore, Ellen and Saul should both be called "Curate".

Well, honestly, it's a solution to something I don't really consider a problem. It's not a bad idea or anything, but I'm going with Priest and Cleric for consistency with the other GBA games.

And for a slight progress report...

Pretty much done with chapter 8, but there's nothing interesting so far to show really.

I'll post some more screenies later and release a patch soon so you can try it for yourself.

Barth sure hates walls.

jI2JCz8.png

UfrnNxK.png