FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

All right, I guess chapter 8 deserves a fuller progress report. Have finished Chapter 8x and started on 9 as well, but don't have screens yet.

d4j5E4Y.png

vIAWUJs.png

jRlGFv7.png

PJ5WLbV.png

4VMmmrR.png

MUTTONHEADS

IVJjpTY.png

Aloof is a funny word.

71S1s8c.png

"Oh baby!"

DMoq89g.png

atCb9iL.png

Roy states the obvious.

8RKG1LI.png

Barth's mad.

K2QeGbc.png

I must admit, I love Narcian. It's so much fun writing dialogue for him.

v3ufmiH.png

fcW2ats.png

0UKULcK.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of forced consistency, but I guess people already had to "put up" with Sister in the previous patch.

I just hope you've changed Idoun to a "Demon Dragon", because "Dark Dragon" really irked me before >___<

Anyway, I like most of the new screens; Narcian's latest set of lines are particularly good.

Edited by VincentASM

I just hope you've changed Idoun to a "Demon Dragon", because "Dark Dragon" really irked me before >___<

Anyway, I like most of the new screens; Narcian's latest set of lines are particularly good.

It's what FE7 used, so of course. Haven't made the change yet, but I will.

And thanks! Will try to post more soon.

The localisations have always been inconsistent. In this case, I reckon Demon Dragon suits her best and plus FE7 used it.

For examples of inconsistency see Aimee and Larabel, Wyvern Riders and Dracoknights, Deghinsea and Dheginsea, etc.

EDIT

Also, how are the legendary weapons spelt? Are the old names like Miugre and Exaccus being used or the more mythologically correct stuff like Murgleis and Eckesachs?

Edited by VincentASM

Oh yeah, the FE6 nerd in me is happy.

I really want to provide suggestions, but it's seriously been too long since I last played FE6--has it really been 10 years?

There is one thing I can think of right now: have you changed Chapter 5's title? "The Emblem of Fire" really needs to be "The Fire Emblem" or "Fire Emblem".

I remember years ago, people argued that the "Emblem of Fire" shouldn't be called "Fire Emblem", because "Fire Emblem" is usually spelt with katakana. To which I always disagreed with for so many reasons.

Well, chapter titles require graphic edits, so I can't do it myself. But if anyone can help insert that, I agree with that change.

There are a few other graphic edits I wouldn't mind making either.

There's the silly FIRE EMBLEM FIRE EMBLEM title screen, not to mention the title of Sword of Seals itself, which should probably be changed to The Binding Blade.

LSk0DhQ.png

And also a few messy looking options on the main menu screen.

r2guAd5.png

And maybe someday we can change "Possession Item" to "Items" and completely do the class scroll.

There must be somebody out there who can help with the graphics, but if not, I could try my hand at it. Or bug NTG to.

We have some experience of graphic hacking with FE12, but I dunno what it's like working on an older game. The main difficulty is probably the space limitation and TSA. FE12 had a nice file structure so you could make files as big as you want.

I know where the place names on the map might be stored, if you want to change those. They're compressed images at around 0x2D3904.

Possession item looks to be at 0x3080D0, chapter titles (includes the Tutorial, I think) from 0x30D9C0.

Class names are at around 0x354780 and I just realised they might be a pain to edit, because a lot of letters are reused. Like I think the A in Archer is missing and is taken from the A in Social Knight. Presumably a good TSA hack would sort this out.

The subtitle and the small "Fire Emblem" text is at 0x35E6DC.

I'm assuming the graphic savvy people already know all of this, but I just thought I'd do some research myself.

Edited by VincentASM

There is one thing I can think of right now: have you changed Chapter 5's title? "The Emblem of Fire" really needs to be "The Fire Emblem" or "Fire Emblem".

I remember years ago, people argued that the "Emblem of Fire" shouldn't be called "Fire Emblem", because "Fire Emblem" is usually spelt with katakana. To which I always disagreed with for so many reasons.

there's a stylistic difference between "fire emblem" and "the emblem of fire." so i disagree with changing it.

Also, how are the legendary weapons spelt? Are the old names like Miugre and Exaccus being used or the more mythologically correct stuff like Murgleis and Eckesachs?

I think I seen that in the etymology section explained from the FE Wiki:

Eckesachs:

Eckesachs, or Corner Sacks, is a sword used by the German hero Hiebschwert. A sage named Dietrich von Bern described this sword, leading to the idea that Bern and Eckesachs are both words of German origin, which is correct: Bern was the Germanic term for the country now known as Switzerland, even if Dietrich von Bern referred to the Italian city of Verona (also named 'Bern' in high Old German).

Maltet:

In the medieval epic poem The Song of Roland, which inspired most of the Eight Heroes' names or weapons, Maltet is the name of the spear of Baligant, the emir of the ambiguously described Muslim kingdoms from across the sea. As Baligant--and muslims in general--are portrayed negatively in this poem, 'Maltet' probably comes from the words 'mal' meaning 'bad' or 'evil,' and 'tete,' meaning 'head' in French.

Murgleis:

In the medieval French epic poem "The Song of Roland", Murgleis is the name of the sword of Ganelon, the traitor. Ganelon was Roland's stepfather and a vassal of Charlemagne, but was of lesser status than Roland, since Roland was Charlemagne's nephew and the greatest knight in the kingdom. Ganelon conspires with the Saracens of Spain to kill Roland, thus setting the poem's plot in motion.

I do think that we might need to change Miurgre to Murgleis, Malte to Maltet, and Exaccus to Eckesachs since those are official and real names also.

Well, chapter titles require graphic edits, so I can't do it myself. But if anyone can help insert that, I agree with that change.

There are a few other graphic edits I wouldn't mind making either.

There's the silly FIRE EMBLEM FIRE EMBLEM title screen, not to mention the title of Sword of Seals itself, which should probably be changed to The Binding Blade.

LSk0DhQ.png

And also a few messy looking options on the main menu screen.

r2guAd5.png

And maybe someday we can change "Possession Item" to "Items" and completely do the class scroll.

I already got the subtitle remade it to "The Binding Blade" a while ago. You can have this subtitle for this patch and I did it for Popo's translation patch in a while back (since she said that she's busy) since I wanted to keep it up for everyone to go with the localized name of the title and I did it a couple of months before Awakening revealed the FE6's title was reused again.

SubtitleHolderTBB.png

But, wouldn't that possibly lead a little bit too confusion to the newer fans since there is a Chapter already got named "Fire Emblem" in Shadow Dragon?

Edited by Syaoran

Syaoran: It looks serviceable, but if you'll pardon me for saying so, it's rather plain. (Though, so is the original patch's subtitle)

This isn't final by any means, but what about something like this?

Ud5eEwt.png

That is, spread out a little more and with a curve to reflect the curving paper.

Edited by gringe

i fiddled around half-assedly with it for about ten minutes and ended up with this

PjzgbCH.png

for some reason the scroll is actually narrower in the current fan translation than it is in the original japanese, which is odd in that if you're going to resize it at all the obvious thing to do is make it larger to better handle more text and make your subtitle box not look like ass

i didn't resize it at all for this (too much effort); it's just the original size which much to my surprise actually accommodates the text reasonably well (with "the" excised because let's face it it's expendable)

the correct reaction to this is "oh my fucking god now HE'S found this thread we are all boned"

Edited by bookofholsety

there's a stylistic difference between "fire emblem" and "the emblem of fire." so i disagree with changing it.

It means the same thing and it's referring to the Fire Emblem.

In every localised game where there's "Emblem of Fire", it's been localised as "Fire Emblem".

the chapter's already called "Fire Emblem" in the patch as it stands; i think it's just the SF site copy of the script that calls it "The Emblem of Fire"

Cool, Eaichu or somebody must have noticed it and corrected it.

But, wouldn't that possibly lead a little bit too confusion to the newer fans since there is a Chapter already got named "Fire Emblem" in Shadow Dragon?

I... don't think so.

i fiddled around half-assedly with it for about ten minutes and ended up with this

PjzgbCH.png

for some reason the scroll is actually narrower in the current fan translation than it is in the original japanese, which is odd in that if you're going to resize it at all the obvious thing to do is make it larger to better handle more text and make your subtitle box not look like ass

i didn't resize it at all for this (too much effort); it's just the original size which much to my surprise actually accommodates the text reasonably well (with "the" excised because let's face it it's expendable)

the correct reaction to this is "oh my fucking god now HE'S found this thread we are all boned"

That actually looks quite nice. We don't have to worry about this just this moment but something like this would be great I think.

do1BzbU.png

No, I didn't just nab those graphics.

[spoiler=The Instructions]

I don't know how much of a hacker you are, gringe, but I figured I'd show how to insert it for your patch, or for anybody else who wants to use it. Using GBAGE, you're going to Import a Bitmap at offset A1A800.

3LKhf.png

Step 2: Fill out this little form.

3LKiL.png

You'll want to copy these pictures. Notice that I unchecked "Import Palette" and "Abort if new graphics are bigger than old."

What file are you going to use? This one. Hope this helps, man.

EDIT: SO apparently I can't send a pm to bookofholsety, so I guess I just have to ask it here; can I use that graphic for my thing as well?

Edited by Stallinbald

EDIT: SO apparently I can't send a pm to bookofholsety, so I guess I just have to ask it here; can I use that graphic for my thing as well?

of course! though if you want, i'll go back and try and make it look slightly less like ass; i'm probably going to do that for this patch anyway, but hey, more reasons to do it can't hurt

oops sorry maybe i should actually open my pm inbox

i guess while i'm at it, i'm down with attending to any other graphical edit needs, though needless to say i'm completely useless in actually getting them in the damn patch. though, i can't think of much else that needs doing; there's the opening story-telling thing, but that's actually FE7's opening almost verbatim so we could just dump the FE7 graphical text in there or something

Edited by bookofholsety

Ok for graphics, let's see...

-Of course there's the subtitle on the title screen. We can try to make it a little bit bigger to fit in "The" but it shouldn't need to be THAT much bigger.

-The blue "Fire Emblem" in the upper right corner can probably just be deleted, so I guess you don't really need to do anything for that.

-I'd be okay with just importing the opening text from FE7

-There is another opening scroll once you start a new game. I'm not sure if this is a graphic or just text that isn't in the text editor for some reason. In either case, I rewrote it a bit so there shouldn't be paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences. This scroll says a lot of the same things the opening "cinematic" says so I already took some cues from FE7's opening.

Man and dragon once coexisted in
harmony. However, man shattered
that harmony with a sudden onslaught.

A great war now known as the Scouring
was fought for dominion of the land.
Losses were tremendous for both sides

and in this war the very laws of nature

itself were twisted and distorted,

bringing chaos and unease...

Defeated and humbled, the dragons
disappeared from the realm.
Mankind then began to rebuild and
repopulate their newly won land.

A millennium has passed since then...

-"Possession Item" to just "Items"

-On the menu screen, "Extra" can probably be made into "Extras", and maybe centered a little better.

-Within "Extras", the "Tutorial" option looks a little messy and "Sound Room" should probably be moved to the left a little bit.

-Then there's the opening class role, but that'll take a while. Aside from class names, "Usable of the weapon" should probably be changed to "Usable weapon", "Equip" or maybe even just deleted. I wonder if that could all be imported from FE7? Aside from "Manakete" which could maybe be imported from FE8, assuming the fonts match up, and assuming it's listed in that game's class scroll (I forgot).

-I think the graphic text at the very end of the game needs to be translated and inserted. I can do a translation if I see the text.

-I'm okay with having the ellipses at the "Nintendo Presents" screen, but they should probably be moved down a little bit and maybe stuck closer together.

That's everything off the top of my head but there might be a couple other things. Graphics aren't my top concern at this moment though.

speaking of things that aren't top concern, UNSOLICITED LOGO EDIT HOUR PART 2: NOW WITH EXTRA THE

2Qoi2oy.png

(crudely dumped into the extracted tileset so i can fake knowing what i'm doing)

i think i'm both more and less satisfied with this one compared to the last one. as with before, the scroll's size is unmodified

one other thing that could do with being edited, albeit as low-priority as these things come: the "Press start" text just looks weird with "start" in all lowercase, which could be relatively easily solved by porting over FE7/8's all-caps "Press START". of course it's the definition of low priority, but it's kinda been bugging me for the past eight years so :P

(oh yes before i forget: arch, if you want this one instead (or any hypothetical future fe6 graphics edits i do), go for it!)

Edited by bookofholsety

All right, so I'm getting to the point where characters are talking about Arcard/Arcardo, and does anyone know exactly uhhhh, what kind of "noble" he is? I was thinking of referring to him with the title of "Count" as Pent was in FE7 but I don't want to give him a title he doesn't have.

EDIT: Eh, whatever, Lord Arcardo's fine.

Edited by gringe

bored so i figured i'd chip away at the graphics iceberg, even if it is low priority

-I think the graphic text at the very end of the game needs to be translated and inserted. I can do a translation if I see the text.
at first i was surprised to find that none of the usual script hosting suspects (read: pegasusknight) had this particular fragment listed, but oh well i transcribed it:
『神将』の名をつぎし
戦士たち
for the hell of it i gave it a halfassed translation and mocked up said translation in graphic form, as follows:
wk3sCq4.png
this is pretty bad and something of a stretch even by my pisspoor standards but whatever