FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

How about...

And these warriors became fabled heroes,

equal to the Eight Legends...

OR

Herein are named the fabled heroes who gained

mythical status equal to the Eight Legends...

Or something along those lines. Doesn't have to be that exact wording if you can think of something better.

Although "Eight Generals" is used occasionally, I think "Eight Legends" is used more frequently.

Edited by gringe

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the end the wording going in the patch is your call. i'm not totally satisfied with my take on it - i figured that the safest thing to do was to roughly adhere to the graphic's space constraints, and i think that resulted in an awkwardly compressed phrasing (it's mostly the "warrior heirs" part that gets me). eh, this one can be dealt with later

oddly i recall observing the exact opposite in terms of the Eight Whatevers terminology, but on a brief re-examination you're right. whoops

at first i was surprised to find that none of the usual script hosting suspects (read: pegasusknight) had this particular fragment listed, but oh well i transcribed it:

『神将』の名をつぎし

戦士たち

Could it be unused text? Does this chunk show up in the vanilla game anywhere?

Okay dudes, here's an updated version of the patch.

I believe all the main story text and houses have been done through chapter 9. Death quotes have also been given a skim and quick edit, but support conversations are virtually untouched. Most names have been done as well, though not 100% in every case. Haven't done any graphics just yet.

FE6 TL Update 7-27-2013 Patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tqtq1sa5apcnjr5

Since file size is still an issue with no easy solution apparent, it's a UPS file. Patch it to a clean Japanese FE6 ROM with a UPS patcher such as NUPS.

Anyone who wants to help test is welcome. Please, please, PLEASE, let me know of any errors you find (events occurring in the wrong place, people with the wrong names, etc.). FEditor seems to have a tendency to duplicate certain indices elsewhere so I've had to go back and repair some errors already. It's very feasible that others have arisen, but they're probably not too numerous. It should be mostly okay in this regard, but also let me know of any typos, grammatical errors, or awkward phrasings.

two quick observations so far (still going through chapter 1)

YOT7pY3.png

this odd graphical error on the text box's edges starts around this point in the chapter 1 opening sequence; i can't remember whether it happens at the same point in prior versions of the fan translation or even in the original vanilla game. also, it looks like there's either a text rendering error or an error with the script itself

vr4MwvN.png

this paragraph spacing error, on the other hand, has been present in fan translations for years. i figure you haven't addressed this particular part yet but idk it's definitely worth neatening up at some point; my gut feeling is that it's this way in the first place because of some sort of hard-coded paragraph break in the original japanese version which isn't that easily fixed? idk

Ah, thanks for pointing out that first error, bookofholsety. It was a last-minute script change but I guess I forgot to test it.

Yeah, that second bit is actually a graphic I think? Regardless, the text editing I've done hasn't affected the text there; I found the text in the text editor and changed it but it had no effect.

I reworded it to fit with the forced paragraph breaks.

Man and dragon once coexisted in
harmony. However, man shattered
that harmony with a sudden onslaught.

A great war now known as the Scouring
was fought for dominion of the land.
Losses were tremendous for both sides

and in this war the very laws of nature

itself were twisted and distorted,

bringing chaos and unease...

Defeated and humbled, the dragons
disappeared from the realm.
Mankind then began to rebuild and
repopulate their newly won land.

A millennium has passed since then...

Edited by gringe

cruPyyI.png

here's another line break/text box edge error in the opening of chapter 3, which at the very least is teaching me something about the workings and consequences of text box overflow :P

Indeed. I essentially have to test any text boxes to make sure they don't overflow, but sometimes I forget. >_> It's more a problem on the overworld explanations which are inherently wordy, but it's occasionally an issue with speech bubbles as well (that creates a slightly different error though).

Well, the stuff I've already done is mostly fine at this point. There might just be an overflow error here or there.

Thanks for the offer though. Might take you up on it for future overworld text.

i get the feeling you haven't touched character/class help descriptions yet beyond mass name changes, but...

ab3AEnx.png

...yeah

actually maybe i should just post everything i find in one batch later instead of periodical interruptions like this

whoops

okay fuck it here's a quick grammatical error

IDenKHQ.png

"in back"

Edited by bookofholsety

Yeah, will get to character descriptions and such some day.

IDenKHQ.png

"in back"

Not saying you're wrong, but how is that a grammatical error? To me personally it seems normal. I could say "behind the castle" with the same meaning so I don't mind changing it or anything but

Uh, that's definitely incorrect. "out back" is the slangiest you could get, but "in back" makes no sense. You could also say "in the back room" if defining a place indoors, but since he clearly stated something outside, using the word "in" as a descriptor is incorrect.

/englishmajor

#smug

Well, I was a linguistics major myself, but we talk about language descriptively rather than prescriptively so I'm prone to errors now and then still.

But okay, it's a simple change.

Is that necessarily a bad thing though?

I figured the whole point of this patch was to improve the original patch, which I'm assuming didn't have the optimal time for editing. Hence some of the dull/awkward dialogue.

I wonder if some of Idun's dialogue would be changed to reference Sephiroth a bit. I could easily see "I am the chosen one. I have been chosen to rule this planet." somewhat working for Idun's conversation with Roy.

Given her resemblance to him, I don't see why not.

Edited by Hero of the Golden Land

All I seem to get from this patch is that you have a LONG way to go before this is finished.

I'm MAYBE about a quarter done with main story text. Then I have support conversations, descriptions, and everything else to do. So yeah, it'll probably be at least a few months. I mean, I only started work on this three weeks ago. It's not a simple project.

I wonder if some of Idun's dialogue would be changed to reference Sephiroth a bit. I could easily see "I am the chosen one. I have been chosen to rule this planet." somewhat working for Idun's conversation with Roy.

no

But Cam, Sephiroth is cool.

And everyone knows it's okay to refence cool things in a translation. That's why the IN AMERICA! joke is so beloved!

Man.

I remember playing Thracia the first time. I wish I had a picture or something. Just, my face when that came up. It was so WTF. IDK.