FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can barely make out a small white thing at the rightmost edge of the screen. Is it the TM/® symbol?

yep. my guinea pig ROM for testing graphics is a copy of the old version of the fan translation, which had the TM symbol positioned weirdly offscreen

I actually like the more vibrant colors on the scroll on this one better. Do you grayscale in usenti or something?

CFzDdm3.png

actually, i've never heard of usenti, or for that matter anything that competent hackers presumably actually use (though i really should look into it if it means breaking ROMs slightly less often). i just greyscaled it all by hand in Photoshop, which needless to say depends on my dubious eyes and is wide open to errors. by the look of it, i made a mistake with the bright shade running down the scroll's middle

Wow, I never thought that there would be a real update to Binding Blade. Very nice. My kudos to you for a job well done.

Now, just so I understand this, when the patch says 1.0 in the future, that will mean that the majority of things will be done? I finally figured out how to patch your current one and the "numbers" patch. Thank goodness for the past experience with the former FE6 and FE12 patches.

And I do have one question if it's alright. Right now, I use the Visual Boy Advance that I used many years ago for the former FE6 patches? Is that still the best one or is there an even better version?

Anyway, kudos to you and thanks a bunch.

Enjoy!

VBA is still widely considered the best GBA emulator to my knowledge.

As for things that still need to be done, there are still some text-graphics that need to be inserted and some hex editing to make some things look a little nicer. The last bit will be ASM hacking the opening movie and the opening class scroll, but getting that done will hinge on someone who knows how to do that coming and helping. A theoretical 1.0 would be a "complete localization", but that may not be possible without assistance from a better hacker than myself. In any case, it's perfectly playable in its current form and later updates will be mostly cosmetic.

asdf

My fault for ignoring this project for so long, probably this was already discussed several pages back but

Ellen->Elen. Why. ;_; It was a perfectly fine name that real people actually have (you know, like Allen and Lance) but now it just looks like a typo.

Enjoy!

VBA is still widely considered the best GBA emulator to my knowledge.

As for things that still need to be done, there are still some text-graphics that need to be inserted and some hex editing to make some things look a little nicer. The last bit will be ASM hacking the opening movie and the opening class scroll, but getting that done will hinge on someone who knows how to do that coming and helping. A theoretical 1.0 would be a "complete localization", but that may not be possible without assistance from a better hacker than myself. In any case, it's perfectly playable in its current form and later updates will be mostly cosmetic.

I see. I was hoping for perhaps something out there with better controls, but oh well. As I said, I've played the old FE6 and the new FE12 patches, and FE12 had a lot better controls (since I could use the mouse instead of just the keyboard).

I like how you guys have taken the liberty of helping some characters out, such as Wendy and Fir. I was somehow able to make Wendy work in the old version of the game, so hopefully it'll be even easier now.

A couple of questions. I looked at your sheet with the number changes. Why was Milady nerfed? I mean, I didn't really use her before so I'm not really aware of how good she was back then. And out of curiosity, is Idenn's class still "Demon Dragon", or is it "Mage Dragon" now? I refer to the Fire Emblem Wiki a lot now, and it seems like Mage Dragon was the translation actually used.

I see. I was hoping for perhaps something out there with better controls, but oh well. As I said, I've played the old FE6 and the new FE12 patches, and FE12 had a lot better controls (since I could use the mouse instead of just the keyboard).

I like how you guys have taken the liberty of helping some characters out, such as Wendy and Fir. I was somehow able to make Wendy work in the old version of the game, so hopefully it'll be even easier now.

A couple of questions. I looked at your sheet with the number changes. Why was Milady nerfed? I mean, I didn't really use her before so I'm not really aware of how good she was back then. And out of curiosity, is Idenn's class still "Demon Dragon", or is it "Mage Dragon" now? I refer to the Fire Emblem Wiki a lot now, and it seems like Mage Dragon was the translation actually used.

FE12 was a DS game and emulators mimic the stylus control by using the mouse. Stylus control was likely in the game to begin with, and not added by the translation patch. FE6 is a GBA game, which had no touchscreen, so mouse control is definitely impossible here.

Milady was nerfed because she was pretty much inarguably the best character in the game. She often rammed her strength, skill, and speed caps, which, along with her solid defense and HP (and not to mention hard mode bonuses), made her pretty much untouchable.

Idun is called a demon dragon because that's what she was called in the FE7 epilogue. FE12 used mage dragon, but I'm considering that to be in a different universe. In the original patch she was called a dark dragon. With this patch, I've aimed for consistency with FE7 above all else, because it's the closest related to FE6.

Did you change the end of game ranking criteria? I remember that the six categories (funds, experience, etc.) were out of order/completely wrong.

No, wasn't aware of this.

You have a vanilla translation patch AND a balance translation patch... right?

Sort of. There's the translation patch, which is JUST a translation, and there's the numbers patch, which is JUST a numbers adjustment (balance) patch. They can be used independently or together.

As much as I wonder why Dieke is nerfed and Niime is buffed(Dieke is kinda underpowered late game while Niime basically is a god anyway), I'm interested in the ballance path

Mostly because TANK ASTOHL

Gonna try this out!

Edited by JSND

I've always thought Deke was basically one of your best options through the whole game thanks to his monstrous bases and Con. Also pretty sure Niime is only a god in LTC. The patch was made with normal play in mind.

Does this fix the different epilogue names like epiloguexx to just epilogue?

yes, i did that. i kind of wish i didn't, though; i was looking for a way to get the x signifiers in there without it looking completely dipshitty, but alas, it didn't work out and we're just left with a generic "--EPILOGUE--" for all three

Did you change the end of game ranking criteria? I remember that the six categories (funds, experience, etc.) were out of order/completely wrong.

i admit i just spent the better part of ten minutes searching the ROM to see if the rank labels are graphical text. evidently not by the look of it

Up to chapter 6 now, just wanted to say that overall it looks really good. I'm especially loving the new chapter titles ("Ensnared" is perfect). I've been checking out the villager lines and even those are mostly noticably improved, nice work.

I'm not so happy about "Klain", especially since the name is, well, a German word that was spelled correctly before. But I guess it's the same sort of deal as before. Deke and Shanna are great, thanks NOA. Wade I could go either way on. Jodel looks weird, but it beats the alternative. I assume Oujay will properly be Ogier now?

Edited by zahlman

yes, i did that. i kind of wish i didn't, though; i was looking for a way to get the x signifiers in there without it looking completely dipshitty, but alas, it didn't work out and we're just left with a generic "--EPILOGUE--" for all three

i admit i just spent the better part of ten minutes searching the ROM to see if the rank labels are graphical text. evidently not by the look of it

By searching, do you mean scrolling through a graphics editor like tile layer pro until you find it? Or do you search for it using breakpoints?

It might not be graphics, but I don't have a way of checking because I don't have an end game save. If someone could post a pic, that would really help, since if it's not graphics, I could probably fix it quickly.

Edited by bartre

scrolling through GBAGE, yes

BFmMLD4.png

i checked the patched game and it looked like it straight-up text, but then again that's exactly what i thought the prologue/epilogue scrolls were until this project began. at the very least, it doesn't appear to be graphical text; it could still be something slightly more esoterically defined like menu commands, but i can safely consider it not my department :P

I suppose the easiest way to check the accuracy would be to check it against the Japanese version.

EPvtP59.png

The actual order, as arranged in the screenshot is...

Tactics (I think) Battle (Not really sure what this is determined by or what it's called in FE7, assuming it was there)

Survival Experience

Funds Strength (I guess this is determined based on your characters' final levels?)

Probably best to check the terminology against FE7.

Here's a savestate at the credits. You'll have to wait a little bit for it to get to the ranking part though.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1eyurrwzk5mh0nb

I'm not so happy about "Klain", especially since the name is, well, a German word that was spelled correctly before. But I guess it's the same sort of deal as before.

His name is actually supposed to be pronounced like "clayn" so "Klein" is actually possibly a mistake by IS.

Wade I could go either way on.

Wade is the official name, if it was intended to be "Ward" I believe the katakana would be rendered differently, and "Ward" as a name for a character with no defense is very unfitting.

I assume Oujay will properly be Ogier now?

Yep.