FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Are you talking about FEXNA or something else? FEXNA looks cool, but I don't think games made through it will be playable on GBA emulators.

Right, because you won't even need an emulator. It'll play like any regular steam game (Minus steam itself of course.)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oJyyaK8.png

Perhaps this is okay in some dialect of English I am not aware of, but I've never heard of calling someone dear to you "my sweet" instead of "sweetie" or "my dear."

Nothing wrong with it that I'm aware of. It's a thing.

Released an update in the first post.

v 0.96b Changelog/Fixes:

-In chapter 10 and 11, on the status screen the enemy army was mistakenly labeled as "Bern Army" instead of "Etrurian Army"

-The enemies on the snowy trial map have been changed from "Bandit" to "Ilia"

-Retranslated the Great Lord description to be more consistent with the other promoted units

-Fixed a missing [ToggleMouthMove] in Cath's recruitment dialogue that caused her mouth to flap during a series of ellipses

-Fixed a misplaced [ToggleSmile] in chapter 3 causing Slater to smile at the prospect of being eviscerated

-Fixed a typo in Lilina/Bors' B support (irritatable -> irritable)

-Updated the descriptions of all staves and the Delphi Shield in the item screen to be consistent with FE7 (seems I forgot these before)

-Fixed a few cases of dialogue that was too long and stretched out the speech bubble a tad too much

-Changed Brunja's battle quote with Zeiss to make it so she doesn't call him "Milady"

-Wyverns in chapter 18 Sacae were mistakenly labeled as "Sacae" instead of "Bern"

-Fixed a mistranslation in chapter 19 Sacae where the boss told his troops to attack guerrilla soldiers hiding in the houses. He was supposed to have told the guerrilla soldiers hiding in the houses to come out and attack the player's army

-Fixed a mistranslation (?) in chapter 20 Sacae to make Niime mention "troops and ballistae" instead of "traps" in the framework of Roartz's manor

-Fixed an odd phrasing on my part ("the legendary Hanon's bow, Murgleis the tempest bow" -> "the legendary Hanon's weapon, Murgleis the tempest bow")

-Fixed a typo in Roy x Lilina's special ending ("rein as queen" -> "reign as queen")

-Fixed Roy x Lilina's ending to be less wordy and fit better in the box

EDIT: Whoops, a couple others I forgot.

-Translated the untranslated "quit tutorial" text in the tutorial and made it so Cecilia doesn't talk like a robot

-Fixed the R-button description of the pre-battle stat screen

Edited by gringe

Not sure if you're alread aware of these, but the descriptions for the Bandits in chapter 12x is 'Outlaws living in the mountains of Lycia.' and Roartz's description in chapter 16 says 'a former advisor to the Etrurian coart', although he still technically is at that point.

That one in 12x will be worth looking into for the next update.

As for Roartz's description, well... I'm not sure, actually. Can he still be considered advisor at that point? The king has already been taken hostage and he's basically thrown away the rest of the court.

Thanks!

Well I'm pretty sure his description is the same in both chapters he appears in. The Japanese also says "former advisor."

BIIFB5J.png

So I guess it's nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Though, actually, rather than "advisor", the Japanese word is more like "chancellor." I'm not sure if this in itself is a change worth making, but it makes me think a little... Rather than trusting the original translation so much I probably should have referred back to the Japanese more from the start. >_>

Edited by gringe

Well I'm pretty sure his description is the same in both chapters he appears in. The Japanese also says "former advisor."

BIIFB5J.png

So I guess it's nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Though, actually, rather than "advisor", the Japanese word is more like "chancellor." I'm not sure if this in itself is a change worth making, but it makes me think a little... Rather than trusting the original translation so much I probably should have referred back to the Japanese more from the start. >_>

首相 is closer to Prime Minister/Chancellor, yes, but to be fair to you, there's really not enough info to make the description of Roartz less hazy, since chancellors are anything from heads of justice to heads of state. It's six of one/half a dozen of the other in many respects.

Edited by Siuloir

Just wanted to stop by and say I'm playing through the new patch right now and I have to say, it's pretty great! I never got very far into FE6 on the old patch but there were plenty of instances of weird wording/poor grammar that I noticed. This is much improved, to say the least.

There's been one or two sentences here or there that struck me as odd, but it's probably simply personal preference. In any case, thank you so much for doing this, it makes it feel a lot more like I'm playing an official translation. : ]

Thanks for playing, Wander! If a sentence seems super off to you, don't be shy to report it.

Thanks for the report, Barth! That's been put on the list for the next update.

Speaking of the next update, I think a change to Roartz's title is necessary. Here's what I'm considering:

-Prime Minister

-High Chancellor

-High Steward

Any opinions?

I'm also a fan of High Chancellor. Prime Minister sounds too much like the head of state to me due to being a Canadian, and, knowing very little about titles without looking them up, from the name alone High Steward sounds more like a high ranking attendant than the position that it actually is.

Hey Gringe and all,

This is my first post on this forum, though I've been lurking for a while. I've been really interested in the developpement of this new translation for Fire Emblem 6. I haven't played it yet but I've read the majority of this thread and I can see you made a wonderful job with the new translation. So congrats on that, and thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

So now, I have good news, and then I have better news (OK, I've been playing Sacred Stones too much lately!)

The good news is that I did some research and I found out how to translate the class names in the introduction. I'm a programmer, but I never did anything on the GBA before. So I did a crash course in ARM assembly and GBA programming and, after some research and a couple of hours of work, I now fully understand how class names appear in the introduction.

The better news is that I made a Fire Emblem 6 version that works correctly with English class names. There's some minor issues though:

• I'm not really good at creating graphics. So I extracted the English class names font of FE7 and used that for the new class names of FE6. It works well, but you can see that it's not perfect. I think it may be a problem with the palette.
  • I replaced each Japanese characters with 2 alphabet letters, so that there's not too much spacing between letters. For example, "ro,--,do" became "Lo,rd". This isn't an issue per se but, while each Japanese character appeared independently on screen, now English letters appear two at a time.
  • The game centers the text automatically on screen, so changing the amount of letters in a class name isn't normally a problem. But an issue arises when the class name has an odd number of letters, like Paladin for example. The game still centers the text on screen but it calculates this with the full 32x32 pixels for each character. Since the last one only uses half the width (only one letter in it), the class name is just a tad off to the left. Fortunately, the only problematic class is the Paladin. The others are all centered correctly.

I made 2 UPS patches. One with the original game and one with the latest translation (v0.96b). Unfortunately, at this moment, I have no way of posting the files here. I don't have any account on file sharing sites and I don't have time to create one at this time. I'll post the files as soon as I can though.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Edit: OK, I noticed that I can upload files directly in my post. I will try this now.

If it works, I uploaded a zip file with two UPS patches in it. Of course, you only need to apply one of the patch. I included both so that you can try it on any version of the game.

• Patch for original game: FE6 - The Binding Blade (j) + engclassnames.ups
  • Patch for latest translation: FE6 - The Binding Blade (eng 0.96b) + engclassnames.ups

Edit2: If anyone is interested, I can post technical details on how the class name animation works.

UPS patches.zip

Edited by tabachanker

beautiful; thanks for that! i admit i assumed this workaround wasn't going to be feasible for various reasons, but i'm so glad to be proven wrong on that one. i ran into similar palette problems when i was trying to apply a similar workaround to the english-text parts of the class roll. hopefully i'll be able to coax the palette into working properly next time i take a break from the fe4 script

Very cool! Thanks a lot! If we can get the palette fixed it should be beautiful.

Also, just so you know, at least a few of the promoted classes (the ones that only start to appear as you get farther in the game) don't appear to work properly. Here are a couple examples:

Heroes have become Druids

jiVK9ls.png

Druids have become an unreadable mess of garble

2YwoqjZ.png

It happens with others as well (Warriors, Valkyries, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, though! This is great progress as it is.

Edited by gringe

2YwoqjZ.png

tch oh ye of little faith

clearly this is just a glimpse into the true reality of what the game is supposed to be in every language, masquerading as mere gibberish. if you don't call druids "uyuohnvaru" in the next patch, well, we may as well hang our metaphorical hats up in shame right now :P

I would be quite interested to hear about class name animation and how you managed to fix it, if it's not too much trouble.

give me that log when you're done too

Very cool! Thanks a lot! If we can get the palette fixed it should be beautiful.

Also, just so you know, at least a few of the promoted classes (the ones that only start to appear as you get farther in the game) don't appear to work properly. Here are a couple examples:

Heroes have become Druids

It happens with others as well (Warriors, Valkyries, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, though! This is great progress as it is.

Oh my! As I said, I never played FE6 before. I thought only the 6 first classes could appear in the introduction! I saw that there were a lot more Japanese characters defined in video but, I thought those were there only if the programmers needed them for something else. The good news is that it's easily fixable. I just need to, you know, define the names I didn't know were there!

Can someone please provide me with a save game or savestate to help me test all the intro class names? Either in VGB or No$GBA format. Otherwise, a list of the class names in the order they appear would probably suffice. The names are defined in order in the cart. That way though I won't be able to easily test the later names.

I will try to fix the color palette problem first though. Using GBage, I can see the differences between the new letters I added and an extra set of Japanese characters still in the cart (probably for the later class names I didn't change). So at least, I can test those out before running the game. I know the offset to the palette used in the game for those characters (just 16 shades of gray really), so I'll try to export/import with GBage while using this palette, maybe it will fix the problem.

tch oh ye of little faith

clearly this is just a glimpse into the true reality of what the game is supposed to be in every language, masquerading as mere gibberish. if you don't call druids "uyuohnvaru" in the next patch, well, we may as well hang our metaphorical hats up in shame right now :P

This should happen right now! A uyuohnvaru sounds like a badass unit!

give me that log when you're done too

I'll try to post information later in the day (I'm at work for now). Thanks for your interest!