FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

The game already does that occasionally. I think that would be a good work-around to make some of the reinforcements feel less cheap, but that would require me adding events and would also kind of go against the philosophy here of simply making this a text translation (er, and graphic, I guess, but in practical terms for the player it's just text). If we add events like that, we might as well tweak the game a little overall, because there are certainly a lot of other things that could be tuned up a little bit. There are other hacks in the works to "improve" the game (even by me derp) and I think something like this would be more appropriate for a hack like that.

Edited by gringe

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no, what I meant was throw out or rework some dialogue to put in dialogue accounting for the reinforcements the game doesn't tell you about (or at least, the most infamous ones). Straight translation or not, I'm fairly certain anyone playing your patch will absolutely LOVE you for that. So don't you think it's worth doing?

Edited by FionordeQuester

frankly i'm surprised you didn't just find and import it separately i figured this sort of thing was pretty basic as far as graphics hacking goes

while you're at it though, here enjoy; i'd post the indices they're at in NLZ-GBA but by the look of it GBAGE has a different scheme for this which doesn't match up clearly this is a sign i should use GBAGE instead wait never mind gone into GBAGE and refound them and they're no different actually? huh okay POINT(er) IS

WXmHxUq.png

compressed image 661, offset 3215B8

3nH5Iuh.png

compressed image 705, offset 3599AC

original graphic edit do not steal

Edited by bookofholsety

I have found the item I was looking for. It is the official Fire Emblem 6/7 character guide. Which also happens to have the most boring cover ever conceived by man.

X1uWBCH.jpg

Usually, I'd be all for throwing money at Japanese FE books and such.

But damn, that cover turned me off from wanting it.

Usually, I'd be all for throwing money at Japanese FE books and such.

But damn, that cover turned me off from wanting it.

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

Seriously, though, the contents are awesome. Official art of all characters, recruitment info, profiles, relationship charts, an index listing all characters appearing in-game (and even those only mentioned in conversation), etc. etc. etc. Even not using it as a reference, it's just a fun book to flip through really. Have never regretted buying this.

for future reference this is the useful thing to know instead of the former

duly noted, though i admit i kinda have to resort to using the former to find the latter in the first place. i suppose there's no harm in just giving both even if one's actually kinda useless; at the very least it helps me feel like i know what i actually mean

while on the subject of graphics, i think we have a little problem here

for the past hour or so i've been chipping away at tidying up the main menu - cleaning the text, correcting its orientation relative to the box, etc (except chapter titles those are a whole different beast and with gringe's permission i'm gonna take a fucking machete to the things. like, "Traps"? "Late Arrival"? yawn)

i'm not quite done yet and still have some tinkering to do:

kP2Q0sw.png

but there's one issue that's come up so far

see the Extra line? the one that's still wonkily aligned with the text box? that's actually meant to say "Extras" according to the adjustment i've made. now, where on earth could that last S at the end have possibly gone?

niPWAHv.png

HMM GEE I WONDER

the issue here is pretty clear, really, but solving it is well and truly out of my capacity: i haven't the foggiest idea about how the game parses what's a sprite here and a sprite there from the same "sheet", so i've no way of "redefining" the borders of the scroll icon to cut out the S and return it to the "Extras" text.

the only thing i can think to do is throw this one open to someone actually competent in the field: can someone redefine the parsing of these graphics to successfully separate the "Extras" text and the scroll icon, or whatever's the correct way of describing this sort of thing?

here's the edited graphics block; the offset is A17000

VfrwcME.png

if anyone volunteers to do this, thanks!

(side note why the fuck does the current fan translation have all the translated graphics at the end of the rom rather than just replacing their original japanese versions, which still exist hidden in their original places? that seems kinda counter-intuitive. eh i suppose there may have been a good reason for it)

Edited by bookofholsety

(side note why the fuck does the current fan translation have all the translated graphics at the end of the rom rather than just replacing their original japanese versions, which still exist hidden in their original places? that seems kinda counter-intuitive. eh i suppose there may have been a good reason for it)

The main thing I can think of is if the new graphics are bigger than the originals.

I don't know how programs like GBAGE handle larger graphics, but it might be more convenient to just plop them all at the end.

the issue here is pretty clear, really, but solving it is well and truly out of my capacity: i haven't the foggiest idea about how the game parses what's a sprite here and a sprite there from the same "sheet", so i've no way of "redefining" the borders of the scroll icon to cut out the S and return it to the "Extras" text.

I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed with TSA.

I know there are users here who know how to fiddle with TSA, but I know TSA can be rather fiddly sometimes.

Actually, have you checked the original graphics? I just looked and "Extras" is split among two lines ("Ekusu" and "Tora"). You could just follow that, right?

Edited by VincentASM

Actually, have you checked the original graphics? I just looked and "Extras" is split among two lines ("Ekusu" and "Tora"). You could just follow that, right?

i can't believe i didn't think of this earlier; i've seen the original graphic but this somehow didn't occur to me. thanks! one moment while i test this...

O78EOjA.png

there, that's better; thanks for the advice there, vincent! (also ft: finished realigning everything else)

LVSfuUy.png

offset a17000 as usual

(edited to update it because i just noticed and corrected a few more flaws)

while i'm at it:

JuQuMhl.png

it's still fairly rough and i'll need to make some adjustments, but the "MENU SELECT" part did need a change

i also edited the "ITEM EDIT" in the trade menu to "EDIT ITEMS" but it's having its own problems so

Edited by bookofholsety

excellent! i think i'll share some of the graphics edits i've pulled off in the meantime

c9kw2qc.png

blue "FIREEMBLEM" removed, latest version of the subtitle scroll implemented (whoo piggybacking off arch's work), start-pressing message edited to have "START" in allcaps like the others (although this was rather hackily done since the graphic's full width exceeded the allotted TSA for it), bizarre cut-off ® swapped out for a TM that's actually on the screen for a change

V0CmUWb.png

NWwLsju.png

offsets A19000 and A1A800 respectively, both on grayscale (Palette Control > check "Gray scale"), which is gonna be the case for everything i do here because fuck finding palettes

pnzqkfW.png

main menu text mostly finished; i admit the extras section batch is a bit buggy in places and could do with smoothing out, but for now it'll do

i1OUnIX.png

offset A18800

tumblr_inline_mrnz7qQHyc1qz4rgp.png

opening scroll text successfully implemented. for a moment i was considering changing the font since what was originally used in these parts is different from the primary font in the Japanese version, then i realised nobody gives a shit so long as it's legible. eh maybe i'll come back to it later (if mostly because jesus christ assembling passages in this font is a tedious task i'm not really looking forward to doing THAT again). i haven't touched any of the epilogue ones yet, mostly because i figure i'll leave translating the scripts there up to you

mGxm1i5.png

offset A1B800

4999OmD.png

death to all the engrishes

UnY0AE5.png

offset 32BF28

now, the bad news? i've found the location of the opening sequence's splash text and, well...

pjWA9M5.png

yeah, it's not pretty. we're not talking separate distinct blocks for every lump of text and we're certainly not talking a simple substitution operation. this one's going to require a) throwing together a font "tileset" (not that hard arguably) and b) some serious TSA to make it actually say anything coherent. granted, it's not a priority in that the current version just leaves the entire thing devoid of text (i see why now), but it's definitely something to be done somewhere down the line

(as if to add insult to injury i can't find a single transcription of the passage anywhere, and i can't transcribe it myself because my IME chose now to be a truculent jackass)

i also gave editing the smaller world map's "Ereb" placard a shot since (i think) i know where that is, but a) did you know that editing something so detailed is absolute hell without the correct palette which i completely failed to find, and b) when i implemented my lameass attempts at an edit into the ROM anyway, it just doesn't show up, which leads me to suspect the ROM is really fucking dumb with respect to how it stores the world map. not to mention, i haven't the foggiest idea of where to start looking for the zoomed-in one... yeah basically fuck map editing someone else do it

All right, title screen graphics successfully implemented!

U4H8Km2.png

Thanks to Arch for the tutorial.

I can't thank you enough for your graphic work, bookofholsety. It all looks fantastic. I'll get to burning implementing the rest when I have time, hopefully this evening.

i know how DARE they give a game a slightly different name this is totally unprecedented

like look at our proud history of games keeping their exact Japanese names: Shining Stones of Holiness and Evil, Path of the Blue Flame, Goddess of Dawn, New Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light

FE6 now having a slightly different name which means exactly the same thing? COMPLETELY unprecedented!

dear god what

Is this because I gave Milady her intended name

Though to be sure, believing you gave Milady her "intended name" a bit of a haughty claim, unless you interviewed whomever actually came up with the idea of her name, and clarified what the equal term would be in English.

Otherwise, your inferred authorial intent suffers with assumptions on the part of the interpreter, and is more your creation, and thus your intention, than the original individual's who created the name.

Though to be sure, believing you gave Milady her "intended name" a bit of a haughty claim, unless you interviewed whomever actually came up with the idea of her name, and clarified what the equal term would be in English.

Otherwise, your inferred authorial intent suffers with assumptions on the part of the interpreter, and is more your creation, and thus your intention, than the original individual's who created the name.

Are you FREAKING serious.

It's how Intelligent Systems spells the name. It's a name from literature. You yourself argued for it before. How can you even say Milady ISN'T the intended name?

This isn't up for debate anymore. I'm tired of brain dead name discussions and hearing ridiculous accusations that altering FireLizard's spellings somehow changes the game significantly.

Edited by gringe