FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Arguing intentions is a dead aim; I said it was likely that Milady was chosen for its referential meaning, which compounds and is exploited by its use FE6. That's quite different from saying Milady was objectively intended. No one can really wiggle out a 1:1 intention when dealing with an abstract subject. Arguably, not even the original creator of Milady could.

Though also to be sure, not sure where you thought I was interested in a debate. Discussion, sure, but there's really no incentive for me to argue a point with you. Nor do I remember any of the discussions being brain-dead, nor the accusations you're slinging regarding FireLizard's apocryphal namings. It sounds more like you're just taking a discussion about translation in an overly-sour tone :/

Edited by Celice

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just tired of seeing your endless harangues on intention and names, frankly, as if you're the authority and I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought you were done a couple weeks ago so to see another post from you on it sparked a nerve.

From the information we have, evidence points that Milady is the intended name. I have no intention of changing any main character names any further. Let's leave it at that. Discussions of names lead nowhere. I would seriously appreciate a little faith in this matter.

Edited by gringe

milady.png

Aside from transcribing "Miredi" as the katakana says, Milady seems pretty intended to me by the developers. I realize it's poor form to blindly follow the developer's English names (Rei = Lleu?), but considering the alternatives I think Milady is an acceptable change in the translation. If this were an NoA translation, her name would be guaranteed to be changed outright. It's pretty silly to flame gringe for making such a minor change in the first place, considering this is nowhere near the level of the Sigurd/Siglud/ZIGLUDO or Celice/Serlis/Seliph zaniness of FE4.

Edited by Samias

I'm just tired of seeing your endless harangues on intention and names, frankly, as if you're the authority and I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought you were done a couple weeks ago so to see another post from you on it sparked a nerve.

From the information we have, evidence points that Milady is the intended name. I have no intention of changing any main character names any further. Let's leave it at that. Discussions of names lead nowhere. I would seriously appreciate a little faith in this matter.

If you don't like it, and can't control yourself (you already seem to be creating antagonism where none was nor was welcome), there is an option to ignore member's and their posts on this forum. Feel free to use it. It may help you feel more positive about your project.

Edited by Celice

I've implemented nearly all of bookofholsety's graphic edits now, but does anyone know the offsets for the "Caledonia" and "League of Lycia" graphics?

i'll get on those shortly; i'll need to rearrange them a bit to fit the correct insertion format

[edit 1] okay Caldonia's done

zjXo2EY.png

offset 2D4F9C

0v3UFew.png

the Lycian League one will take a bit longer, since the "The League" half of the original is kind of a mess

Edited by bookofholsety

Celice:

And that post is a perfect example of your condescending writing style. I'm not going to ignore you because you might contribute something worthwhile at some point. Please just stop telling me I'm "making the game's script my own" on the basis of name spellings.

svlSORY.png

okay i think i exaggerated how long this would take whoops

the label's actually spread across two graphics, one for each line, so

OLOAPbD.png

offset 2D4838, for the "The Lycian" part

Qj7az4R.png

offset 2D4D3C, for the "League" part

Bueno, thanks much, bookofholsety.

EDIT: Hmm, something is amiss.

I have no idea what caused this problem, but somewhere between today and yesterday something became messed up and the game goes to the title screen during the first chapter map text exposition. Right after "The Lycian League" is displayed and the text box is closed to go into the description of Ilia, the game just goes to the title screen. I'll try putting the graphics in an older version of the patch and see if it's an issue caused by graphics. Otherwise, I have NO idea. I haven't done much text editing the past couple days and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong in the text itself.

Could it be an issue with the size of the ROM? It's at 16.5 MB now.

EDIT2: Okay, well, It doesn't give me a problem with certain map text, but others it does. So at least it's not EVERYWHERE. Errors only seem to occur with edited map graphic text. The game froze this time when loading "Caldonia." Replacing the edited graphics doesn't appear to fix the issue; it still brought me right to the title screen after loading a reinserted "The League of Lycia." ...Am I just doing something wrong? >_>

Edited by gringe

I think I've pinpointed the issue: 2D4F9C doesn't appear to be the correct offset for the Caldonia graphic, and it somehow messes up the game elsewhere when I insert the graphic here.

EDIT: Hmmm, nope. It seems I can insert one graphic or the other, but having both of these two seems to break the game for some reason. None of the other graphic edits gave me any issues. Very unusual problem. Well, I guess for now I'll leave them uninserted so we can hopefully find a solution.

Edited by gringe

When you insert the modified graphic data, are you making sure it's smaller or the exact size of the vanilla asset? Otherwise you risk the data spilling over into other data, of which could be problematic.

On the GBA, you have the luxury of being able to exploit up to 32MB of data, without having to pay for cartridge costs. You can use this range of data however you please--and to ensure that no data accidentally overwrites the data of something else.

I realize it's poor form to blindly follow the developer's English names (Rei = Lleu?)

"Lleu" actually isn't as strange as it may seem. Lleu is a name from Welsh mythology, and it is pronounced roughly the same way as "rei" but with an L sound instead of an R. Furthermore, Lleu is the Welsh equivalent of the Irish deity Lugh. This is one of the reasons why I never cared to call them Lou and Ray, but ultimately I don't care what they're called in the patch.

When you insert the modified graphic data, are you making sure it's smaller or the exact size of the vanilla asset? Otherwise you risk the data spilling over into other data, of which could be problematic.

On the GBA, you have the luxury of being able to exploit up to 32MB of data, without having to pay for cartridge costs. You can use this range of data however you please--and to ensure that no data accidentally overwrites the data of something else.

This may be the issue, but I'm not sure how to manipulate the file size to test it.

Okay, 32 MB should leave plenty of room to edit text then, so at least that's not the problem.

EDIT: Well, I guess I know more than I gave myself credit for. I was able to compress the images down a bit using Photoshop, but for some reason the Caldonia graphic still seems to be larger than the original. If anyone has any specific advice for how to solve this problem (assuming this is indeed the issue) it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by gringe

As far as I know, the conventional file size isn't going to matter--whether it's a .PNG or a .JPEG you're getting to be smaller, that's not actually what's going into the game (normally).

The image data is likely being converted, through whatever program you used to extract and/or reinsert, to a format that the game knows how to display; photoshop is likely going to be irrelevant because of this, especially if these graphics, once in-game, are going to be using a distinct palette, instead of including the colors in the image data itself.

Were these graphics decompressed before they were edited? If so, you will most likely need to recompress them to ensure they'll fit back into their limited range of data. I seem to remember LZ77 being a common compression for the GBA Fire Emblem games, so this is probably what you'd be dealing with.

However, instead of trying to fit in the data and recompress it back into its original range, you could simply repoint the graphic in question to somewhere in that 16-32MB range. This will let you test to see whether it's the graphic causing a problem in the first place. Putting it in this range where you know nothing is being used let's us make sure you're not accidentally overwriting other important data.

Edited by Celice

GBAGE will usually compress it for you if you tell it you're overwriting a compressed graphic

actually there should be an option to have it automatically repoint for you as well

Well, now I know it's almost certainly an issue with the graphics for some reason or another. After inserting the "The Lycian League" graphic, for whatever reason, offset 2D4F9C (the "Caldonia" graphic) becomes like this, regardless of whether I've edited it already or not.

w8pzBoE.png

The graphic becomes scrambled and there's no option to view the compressed graphic. Ticking the repoint graphic box when inserting "The Lycian League" doesn't help. I don't know. I'll try inserting it using a different program.

EDIT: Can't open the present ROM version using NLZ-GBA. Will try doing it in a roundabout way by applying the graphic edits to the Japanese version, making a patch, then applying it to the current TL patch ROM. ...Unfortunately at this moment I have to go to work so it'll have to wait until this afternoon.

Edited by gringe

for what it's worth, i only tested these on a clean Japanese ROM. i don't recall experiencing any difficulties of this nature, though i did notice in GBAGE that the file immediately after Caldonia, the Kafti label, seems to have become corrupted or lost its compressed status or something (i figured this wasn't a problem since i don't recall the Kafti label being used in Chapter 13, the only place where it's relevant)

for what it's worth, my process for editing these was so:

• dump in PNG format from GBAGE
  • open in Photoshop CS5; the file is in Indexed Colour mode, and i leave it that way
  • copy the contents of the file into a new PS document so as to have a workspace
  • make any necessary adjustments to it in that new document
  • copypaste the adjusted version into the original indexed file, correctly aligned
  • save as a separate document (eg "FE6 A17000 edit") and insert in GBAGE

it wouldn't surprise me if there's something i missed here to ensure it actually works, if mostly out of complacency. i mean, considering that there's technically less in each graphic than in the japanese version it never occurred to me that they could be too large, though of course i have zero idea how graphics are parsed and compared in the GBA and its utilities in terms of file size

point is looks like i broke the whole thing

whoops

i guess i should do some homework on avoiding this in future huh

EDIT: Can't open the present ROM version using NLZ-GBA. Will try doing it in a roundabout way by applying the graphic edits to the Japanese version, making a patch, then applying it to the current TL patch ROM. ...Unfortunately at this moment I have to go to work so it'll have to wait until this afternoon.

that won't work

on the image insert menu there should be some option that says something along the lines of "abort if new graphic is larger than original", check that and it should give you an option to repoint if it is in fact too big

Edited by CT075

No such luck; it just aborts the process altogether without giving me any options.

I suppose for now I've got no choice but to move forward with the script and leave these graphics for later.

All right, I've confirmed it's only the map graphics which have size issues--all the other graphics are inserted without any size errors. I really don't understand why myself. Maybe a more 1337 h4x0r could help, but again, this is a pretty low priority issue. Back to preparing for a new release.

Edited by gringe

All right, so the plan is this: release the new patch once I finish just up to the Sacae/Ilia split after 16x. Who knows, it may be done tonight if I can get through it quickly enough.

Here's a short progress report.

Fae speaks third-person in Japanese and in the present version of the English patch. This is a very Japanese way of showing childishness which isn't really done in English. Since Fae didn't speak third-person in FE7, she shouldn't here either. Of course that's not to say her childishness can't be shown in other ways.

FzMEfOX.png

iLw8BEp.png

oarw7ND.png

2czdBci.png

I've implemented most of the graphic edits. It's only the map text that's an issue. I already showed the title screen successfully inserted, so here's the "Items" graphic.

uIdvXO5.png

And now we come to Narcian's last stand. I salute you, you glorious bastard, you.

mOq5pk4.png

ntpT1qY.png

5IYqZaX.png

zfbdWlN.png

cBVhyl9.png

i5p78hG.png

LYNYszl.png

pH2uEM1.png

2BJvpcd.png

uTCfsmg.png

if you get everything else done (and i mean everything because i don't trust feditor) just send the patch my way and i'll do it for you i guess, it shouldn't take too long

sorry about the mess with the map labels. i've been trying to figure out what i did wrong, but with no success; this seems to be beyond me

i guess in the meantime the best i can do is chip away at other things that need doing, and the graphical text for chapter names is the first thing which comes to mind. i'll list all the chapter names as they presently stand in the patch here (quite a few differ from what the SF script section says) and you can point out any corrections you'd like

1: Dawn of Destiny

2: The Princess of Bern

3: Late Arrival

4: Collapse of the Alliance (this one definitely needs correcting to "League" at minimum)

5: Fire Emblem

6: Traps

7: Rebellion At Ostia (maybe make it "The Ostian Rebellion" or something? this just sounds awkward as it stands)

8: Reunion

8x: The Blazing Sword (i'm changing this to "The Blazing Blade" to match fe7 and nobody's stopping me)

9: The Misty Isles

10(a): The Resistance Forces

11(a): Hero of the West

10(b): Caught in the Middle

11(b): Escape to Freedom

12: The Real Enemy (ugh)

12x: The Axe of Lightning

13: Rescue Mission

14: Arcadia

14x: The Infernal Element

15: Dragon Girl

16: Retaking the Capitol

16x: The Pinnacle of Light

17(a): Path Through the Ocean (despite looking intact in GBAGE, this one's subject to a bizarre graphics glitch in the chapter splash screen)

18(a): The Frozen River

19(a): The Bitter Cold

20(a): The Liberation of Ilia

20x(a): The Spear of Ice and Snow (shorten this one, stat)

17(b): The Bishop's Teachings

18(b): The Law of Sacae

19(b): Battle of Bulgar

20(b): The Silver Wolf

20x(b): The Bow of Winds

21: The Sword of Seals (okay this one's a pretty obvious fix)

21x: The Silencing Darkness

22: The Neverending Dream

23: The Ghost of Bern

24: The Truth of the Legend

Final: Beyond the Darkness

were it up to me there's quite a few i'd be whacking with a correctional hammer ("late arrival"? "traps"? "the real enemy"? really?) but w/e

I'll let you handle chapter titles. It sounds like you have a good sense of the changes that should probably be made.

"The Spear of Ice and Snow" could probably be shortened to "The Ice Spear" without losing anything important. I mean, is it really that important to have both Ice AND Snow in there?

Edited by gringe

the Japanese title (氷雪の槍) does mention both ice and snow, but with the key difference that it actually sounds decent and not overly long in that case. i get the feeling specifying both was supposed to act as emphasis on the sheer SNOW POWER of Maltet, but alas, it's yet another victim of the language barrier. maybe i'll just go with "Blizzard Spear" or something; we'll see when i get to it