FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Nice trick, Klok. Should make things easier.

Dusk: Quite sure I fixed the shop thing there and I may or may not have fixed the Allen/Lance one already (I fixed a few instances of that in the supports but I don't remember specifically). Thanks for the reports anyway, though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have "Replaced" a whole batch of text and had to backpedal before. It's why editing the text externally and reinserting into the rom while keeping backups periodically whenever you do a mass replace command is a good idea.

Edited by Klok

depends on the number of times the name comes up

the thing is, even if you have (figure off the top of my head) 30 lines of text in a single entry, if you're changing a single name string in that entry then all the old data becomes garbage and you have to create an entirely new one, with nothing but the name changed. it's far more efficient to do names last

Yikes. Is this because FEeditor has no ability to repoint data internal to Binding Blade, so it just swaps out the text pointers and tacks the actual text data on the end of the ROM?

I can't see any other reason why it would do that, but even still that doesn't really make sense. It could at *least* check the pointer of dialogue it is removing to see if it extends beyond the stock ROM boundaries with a list of their sizes in a text file, and if so, zero out the block of memory. It's essentially C's version of malloc, demalloc, remalloc except ROM mapping.

That doesn't even sound hard to implement. It's a shame I don't know Java(ewww.... Never understood the fascination with it >_>)

Edited by MP2E

it actually might keep the data internal to the ROM; i don't know offhand how feditor's free space manager works

from my own work on FEditor (before anyone gets the wrong idea, all i did was GUI changes), I do know that it creates a new text entry every time you save something new

Edited by CT075

So I tried dumping the entire script, using the "replace all" function in notepad, and inserting the editted script with FEditor, but it ended up screwing up the "nintendo presents" screen, and god knows what else. My question is, is there really no other faster alternative to changing character names without causing problems besides manually changing each instance, one by one, in FEditor?

I've come with this in Chapter 3's intro:

mXbgVjq.png

Shouldn't it be "In Bern's army THERE is a trio"?

I think it's a typo, but I'm not so good at English so it might just be a construction I haven't seen before. If it's good this way, then I'm sorry.

So I tried dumping the entire script, using the "replace all" function in notepad, and inserting the editted script with FEditor, but it ended up screwing up the "nintendo presents" screen, and god knows what else. My question is, is there really no other faster alternative to changing character names without causing problems besides manually changing each instance, one by one, in FEditor?

That's the only way I know of doing it. It should take about 10-20 minutes per name.

That's the only way I know of doing it. It should take about 10-20 minutes per name.

Even so, every time you update the patch I have to redo the entire process, which is why I want to know a faster way or else it isn't worth it.

it's borderline; throwing a "there" into it would be more formally correct, but as it stands it's certainly not outright erroneous

Perhaps, but 'is' is certainly wrong for the plural trio of whatever. 'Are' should be used instead.

it doesn't strike me as incorrect either, as it can be construed as regarding the "trio" as the singular noun rather than the wyvern generals

granted my formal education in grammar really isn't what it should be, but i'm fairly sure i've heard this construct many times before with no objection raised so

But it is only one trio. Or that is how I was thinking of it. (But now that I think about it, I've seen groups called by plural even though it is only one group. hm.)

I think that holds when one is referring to a constituency, such as 'a brigade' or 'a democracy'. They might be pluralistic in composition, but the reference isn't towards the members but the overall arrangement.

This doesn't quite hold in the example, as the sentence is prepared around the multiple subjects, not the constituency itself; the subjects are the generals themselves.

• In Bern's army is a trio of elite commanders known as the Wyvern Generals.

But this rewrite is free to posit whatever dialect it chooses, regardless of one's correctness about the matter.

Edited by Celice

It depends on how you take the sentence, really. If you take it to mean that the trio itself is called the Wyvern Generals, "is" is correct because "trio" is the subject. If you take it to mean each individual member is called a Wyvern General, "are" is correct because those members are the subject. But thanks to English being, admittedly, kind of a mess of a language, you can't tell which it is from the context. In other words, both "is" and "are" are correct. There is a very slight difference in meaning depending on which is used, but neither would be wrong in this case. Unless the Japanese is clearly one or the other, but it's not a meaningful difference anyway.

...In other words, congratulations everyone! You're all right! Isn't that serendipitous?

Even so, every time you update the patch I have to redo the entire process, which is why I want to know a faster way or else it isn't worth it.

Well, in that case, the only thing to do is wait for it to be finished :P