FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never heard of that specifically, and i've certainly never encountered in this patch or the old one, but it does sound like a problem a friend of mine was having with the prologue's village. it turned out to be an emulator issue; what emulator are you using?

sorry i can't be of more help, but this is the first time i've ever heard of chapter 11a having a problem in any incarnation of the game

huh

well i guess i'm out of ideas, then. that it might be a problem caused by an uncommon or less-developed emulator was the only theory i had, but VBA is anything but uncommon or less-developed

sorry. all i can recommend is giving the patch a try to see if the error still occurs for you in it

Hey-- sorry if someone's asked this before, but is there a script resource for this project anywhere? Or plans to incorporate it into SF's FE6 section? Playing through with the new translation has been a blast-- it's really colorful and fresh-- but I want to see the supports that I won't be able to cover and read things over again.

Hello, I am having some trouble getting this patched to a flash cart. The game should be very small but when the patch is attached it bumps the size to over 128mb's. Was wondring if there was a reason for this? thanks!

There's nothing that can be done about it for the time being, unfortunately. FEditor expands the ROM slightly every time the ROM is edited. I'd like to trim the fat off but I don't know how and it doesn't affect normal play.

If you're using a 16 MB flashcart, though, that must be some ancient hardware. That won't fit even a lot of normal GBA ROMs. FE8, for example, is 32 MB.

Hey-- sorry if someone's asked this before, but is there a script resource for this project anywhere? Or plans to incorporate it into SF's FE6 section? Playing through with the new translation has been a blast-- it's really colorful and fresh-- but I want to see the supports that I won't be able to cover and read things over again.

Thanks! I don't know if the site will be updated with the script--that's up to Vincent, and I can understand him wanting to keep a more literal script for a game that hasn't been localized officially. I haven't thought about making a script resource, but anyone who wants to is welcome to make it. It'd be a little bit too much trouble and time for me to do it personally.

There's nothing that can be done about it for the time being, unfortunately. FEditor expands the ROM slightly every time the ROM is edited. I'd like to trim the fat off but I don't know how and it doesn't affect normal play.

If you're using a 16 MB flashcart, though, that must be some ancient hardware. That won't fit even a lot of normal GBA ROMs. FE8, for example, is 32 MB.

Are you sure about FE8? The game itself was probably dumped as 16MB, including its padding, as that was the manufacturing size Nintendo chose to go with. 32MB is the largest native range of data the GBA can actually reference, and I can't think of any legitimate GBA title that has that size. It would have been quite unprofitable to produce, and a horribly optimized game itself.

However, as far as fan editing goes, there's no real reason to not bump up to 32MB so long as they use a patching format that supports that far of a range (IPS if memory serves only goes up to 16MB). It's far safer to allocate new data in ranges you know are unused rather than ones that are guessed at being such.

It was 32 last time I played it. o.0

Looking at the scene release list, it looks like the European release would be the 32MB people are thinking of. The NoA release and NoJ releases are 16MB releases.

http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1671

http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1976

http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=2193

That explains it.

By the way, gringe, I noticed that in FE7+8, the archer promotion item is called "Orion's Bolt", while in your translation has it as "Orion Bolt". Dunno if that's intentional or not, but I figured I'd mention it.

There exists another game called "Mother 3" that is also 32 MB, mainly due to the absurd level of detail(graphical and otherwise) in that game, as well as an absolute ton of unused content due to a long development cycle(including my avatar as of this posting). It is actually known to that game's community that you need to be careful about what flashcart you are using (Ironicaly, the M3 brand does not work). This is also why exactly one romhack exists(and that one reactivates unused content): there is almost no free space to use. The translation patch actually had to recode an existing part of the game specifically to free up space.

Edited by sirmola

That explains it.

By the way, gringe, I noticed that in FE7+8, the archer promotion item is called "Orion's Bolt", while in your translation has it as "Orion Bolt". Dunno if that's intentional or not, but I figured I'd mention it.

You're right. I'll add it to the list.

There exists another game called "Mother 3" that is also 32 MB, mainly due to the absurd level of detail(graphical and otherwise) in that game, as well as an absolute ton of unused content due to a long development cycle(including my avatar as of this posting). It is actually known to that game's community that you need to be careful about what flashcart you are using (Ironicaly, the M3 brand does not work). This is also why exactly one romhack exists(and that one reactivates unused content): there is almost no free space to use. The translation patch actually had to recode an existing part of the game specifically to free up space.

Suddenly I have even more respect for the Mother 3 team. I could only dream of one of my future translations even being *compared* to it.

And they had to figure out what was unused and swap it out, you say? Yikes... Some smart people had to be involved in that.

EDIT: FWIW I think there's nothing wrong with expanding the game ROM. Space is cheap. FE4 and probably FE5 will end up being expanded

Edited by MP2E

Suddenly I have even more respect for the Mother 3 team. I could only dream of one of my future translations even being *compared* to it.

And they had to figure out what was unused and swap it out, you say? Yikes... Some smart people had to be involved in that.

EDIT: FWIW I think there's nothing wrong with expanding the game ROM. Space is cheap. FE4 and probably FE5 will end up being expanded

more detail can be found here: http://legendsoflocalization.com/mother-3/

that particular part of the site has not updated recently, but rest of the site has (click on "other games") There is even some fire emblem information in the q&a section.

WRT "space is cheap", it is until you hit the max rom size, at which point you run out of memory addresses, which are allocated on a hardware level. Past that point, the console is simply not equipped to handle a larger rom. For the relatively new gba, this is 32mb(which is large enough for most fire emblem related purposes). For the snes, this is 4mb, which is essentially all used for the Japanese versions of FE4 and 5 already. (you can exploit an emulator bug to go up to 8mb, but this is not recommended as newer emulators do not do this, and many tools have issues.)

EDIT: My source was bad, so i am wrong about space limitations. See below.

Edited by sirmola

that particular part of the site has not updated recently, but rest of the site has (click on "other games") There is even some fire emblem information in the q&a section.

WRT "space is cheap", it is until you hit the max rom size, at which point you run out of memory addresses, which are allocated on a hardware level. Past that point, the console is simply not equipped to handle a larger rom. For relatively new the gba, this is 32mb(which is large enough for most fire emblem related purposes). For the snes, this is 4mb, which is essentially all used for the Japanese versions of FE4 and 5 already. (you can exploit an emulator bug to go up to 8mb, but this is not recommended as newer emulators do not do this, and many tools have issues.)

Tomato in general is a super awesome, cool, and nice dude. Anyone interesting in translation and localization should check out his website. He talks about both the contract work he's done for various console games, fan works, anime stuff, and his translation comparisons for certain games (such as FFIV's several different instances of English localization).

I think he once mentioned that he'd like to go back and recheck out Bahamut Lagoon and Live-A-Live and polish some of his older translations. I'd love if he ever got the chance :)

Edited by Celice

did someone say mother 3 translation appreciation thread because tomato is pretty much my idol and frankly i'd be impossibly lucky to ever output anything even a fraction as good as his take on mother 3

WRT "space is cheap", it is until you hit the max rom size, at which point you run out of memory addresses, which are allocated on a hardware level. Past that point, the console is simply not equipped to handle a larger rom. For the relatively new gba, this is 32mb(which is large enough for most fire emblem related purposes). For the snes, this is 4mb, which is essentially all used for the Japanese versions of FE4 and 5 already. (you can exploit an emulator bug to go up to 8mb, but this is not recommended as newer emulators do not do this, and many tools have issues.)

Yes, for the GBA that is the max limit. My original comment was showing appreciation for getting around that limit. Thanks for the link, though.

No, the limit isn't 4MB for SNES games. The console’s two largest games, Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, had sizes of 6 MB. I am using the same mapper in FE4 to give us 2 more megabytes of space.

Also "Exploit"? "newer emulators don't support this?" I'm sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about. My ROM works perfectly fine on everything but ZSNES. And ZSNES is ancient and can barely be called "accurate", so I don't really care about supporting it anyway.. Use higan or snes9x.

Edited by MP2E

Yes, for the GBA that is the max limit. My original comment was showing appreciation for getting around that limit. Thanks for the link, though.

No, the limit isn't 4MB for SNES games. The console’s two largest games, Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, had sizes of 6 MB. I am using the same mapper in FE4 to give us 2 more megabytes of space.

Also "Exploit"? "newer emulators don't support this?" I'm sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about. My ROM works perfectly fine on everything but ZSNES. And ZSNES is ancient and can barely be called "accurate", so I don't really care about supporting it anyway.. Use higan or snes9x.

I will admit that i have no snes hacking experience, so i was using as my source the following forum thread: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=22349

It sounds like that thread was hilariously inaccurate. Sorry if i confused anyone. Also, could you give me more information? i would love to learn about this. Thanks (Also, i already use snes9x for features, plus higan when that does not work.)

Edited by sirmola

Ah, yeah seems as though there are some misconceptions. There is actually a tool called Lunar Extend that will automatically extend a ROM for you. I used 48MBit HiROM to output a 6MB file that is pretty much the same as the original. It has 2MB tacked on to the end and one byte is changed, which is for the board PCB identifier.

Higan generates a manifest just fine and Snes9x simply loads the file. ZSNES can work if they make it able to autodetect the mapper.

You can make ROMs up to 8MB like the thread specified, the main reason I wouldn't recommend 8 is because then you can't flash it on a cartridge unless you have an SD2SNES or something. That's also why I didn't bump up SRAM, it's already at the cartridge maximum.

I may actually look at seeing if I can make a 4MB version later so that people don't destroy rare cartridges to sell reproductions. I don't really know how much empty space is in FE4 but judging from the previous translation, a decent amount.

I can post a patch if anyone would like to look at the bare Japanese ROM just extended. In fact, it's probably a good idea to post it just to make sure everything can play it. I did some testing and everything seemed to work fine, but I only tested the latest snes9x and higan

EDIT: it seems that Snes9x only somewhat recently supported larger ROMs. I guess I was used to bsnes :P

I can post a patch if anyone would like to look at the bare Japanese ROM just extended. In fact, it's probably a good idea to post it just to make sure everything can play it. I did some testing and everything seemed to work fine, but I only tested the latest snes9x and higan

I think there are some Japanese patches which do a similar thing, and which also rearrange/adjust the SRAM to take advantage of different ways of storing items/skills/stats. (in this case, the expansion--I think the patch I'm think of is actually primed with pointers prepared to take advantage of the new space, like in Xenesis's expansion patch for one of the Advance Wars games.

I figure you already are working on your own stuff though, so there's not much they could do to help you other than be a curiosity piece. I wouldn't even know where I've saved them to either :/ But it's super nice just to read some more knowledge on this stuff from you, so yeah, I got mad respect for you :)