FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gringe, I found something left untranslated.

hDzfo0k.png

This showed up when I pressed Select during the Tutorial chapter. (Select normally brings up the map menu during the main story)

The first option resumes the tutorial. The second option takes me to this screen.

MUpjXL7.pngGONoBBs.png

Selecting "Yes" takes you to the screen on the right. Selecting 'No" resumes the tutorial. It sounds awfully weird for Cecilia to be talking like a bot.

Here's the same first screen in the original Japanese ROM.

8mFhlJS.png

The options here roughly translate to "Resume Tutorial" and "Quit Tutorial" respectively. (Thanks to the fact that the only Japanese I can read is in katakana)

Edited by Kiseki

Jesus I didn't even know FE6 had a tutorial.

Select "Extras" in the main menu and it should be one of the first (and only if it's a new save file) things you see. It's even labeled "Tutorial" for your convenience.

Ok, I just look at Bimbo's thread, but I noticed that in the credits that have Super Smash Bros. team on it, I know this is kinda a minor edit, but the graphic on the credits should be changed to "Super Brothers DX" as "Super Smash Bros.".

But here's the screenshot that I found from her thread:

rnff.png

Edited by King Marth 64

Changing it to "Super Smash Bros." is actually simpler than it looks. Found this through HxD.

Cvdvl6H.png

Shown here is an excerpt of the game's end credits. Change the highlighted part so the corresponding text on the right says "Super Smash Bros." It even fits too.

Thankfully it's not as confusing as the opening text.

(actually I'm not sure if this really works, but it's worth trying...)

Edited by Kiseki

ooh, thanks! i attempted to test implementing it myself, but i think i bricked the rom instead. of course, my failure to implement something doesn't mean it can't be done, and odds are someone who actually does know what they're doing won't have a problem

(edit 1) wait wait STOP THE PRESSES i have successful modification of the credits

tumblr_n7ypfiNcxM1qhx4jao1_250.png

obviously it's a bit messed up and not final; i'm still experimenting at this point. but i got it working and that counts for something, right?

(edit 2) YES NAILED IT

tumblr_n7ypvz76H11qhx4jao1_250.png

here it is in hex:

offset 0027AAF0: 53 75 70 65 72 20 53 6D 61 73 68 20 42 72 6F 73
offset 0027AB00: 2E 0A 20 20 20 4D 65 6C 65 65 20 54 65 61 6D 20
there's a few other weird grammatical errors in the credits ("publishment"?); i'll see what i can do about those

(edit 3) so i was on a roll and found the class roll titles and i've made progress successfully editing those too. there's just one problem

tumblr_n7yv6fMFTL1qhx4jao1_250.png

it looks like there's quite a few glyphs which don't exist in that font at the moment, including upper-case c and lower-case v. no idea how simple implementing those will end up being; part of me hopes it'll be as easy as getting the letters into the relevant graphics offset (i'm 99% sure i've seen these while graphics-hacking), but that doesn't seem likely

Edited by bookofholsety

Still, that's awesome, bookofholsety! With another small step or two we may finally be able to move to the next level we need to get the patch to a more complete level.

There's an easy way around the glyph problem though: just change "Cavalier" in-game to "aaaalier" and it's perfectly consistent!1! <_>

Edited by gringe

There's an easy way around the glyph problem though: just change "Cavalier" in-game to "aaaalier" and it's perfectly consistent!1! <_>

Umm...no.

Anyways, I wanted to ask something about the level-up screen with animations on.

Would it be possible, through repointing, to get the game to load the graphics/data for the level-up screen without animations even when the animations are on?

51aTD9N.png

(obvious MS Paint edit that is most definitely not legitimate or possible by any means)

As in "get it to look like this without the use of MS Paint"

Edited by Kiseki

Hey so, I hope you don't mind guys, but I've compiled Hexator's RNG hack (that basically makes the RNG unfixed and actually random instead of always predictable) and the new TL patch into a UPS file. I did this because I couldn't figure out a way to make a seperate IPS patcher patch successfully onto a translated ROM; I was forced to run an assembly patcher for the RNG hack onto the translated ROM instead. This isn't really a very accessible option for most people so I bundled it together in case anyone else wants to use them together.

FE6TLRedux-v0.96a+RNG-Hack.ups

I'll periodically update it if you keep updating the translation as long as I'm around. Here's the thread where I found out and compiled them originally in IPS.

Hey so, I hope you don't mind guys, but I've compiled Hexator's RNG hack (that basically makes the RNG unfixed and actually random instead of always predictable) and the new TL patch into a UPS file. I did this because I couldn't figure out a way to make a seperate IPS patcher patch successfully onto a translated ROM; I was forced to run an assembly patcher for the RNG hack onto the translated ROM instead. This isn't really a very accessible option for most people so I bundled it together in case anyone else wants to use them together.

FE6TLRedux-v0.96a+RNG-Hack.ups

I'll periodically update it if you keep updating the translation as long as I'm around. Here's the thread where I found out and compiled them originally in IPS.

I tried to apply your IPS RNG patch for FE6 in the thread you referenced but it ended up bricking the game where it won't even load up.

Did you read my post? I said it didn't work via IPS onto anything but a raw FE6 rom, so I made a UPS that does work combined with the current TL. Assuming you patch RAW FE6, it wll put the hack and the new TL on together.

Edited by Irysa

Would it be possible, through repointing, to get the game to load the graphics/data for the level-up screen without animations even when the animations are on?

Unfortunately, no. We've tried. The level-up screen with animations on uses a different set of data than the one without animations. With animations on, it points to a single segment of text where there's a line break after every two characters. Getting it right will either require some advanced wizardry to change that OR we could trick the game by inserting new "characters" that are actually multiple characters (IE "S" and "tr" for "Str", "Sk" and "ill" for "Skill", etc.). We haven't been able to get either to work as of yet, but then, we're not exactly the most advanced "hackers" around.

Currently playing the patch right now... and the translation is definitely a lot cleaner than before.

The numbers patch also really helps even the odds as well!

Thanks for playing! Feel free to report any typos or errors you find.

Fellas, I appreciate the job done here, and I would first like to thank you all for the efforts, it is really a crisp patch.

Hooooowever, I noticed something. After applying both patches, I went through my regular playthrough, fine and dandy. I got Ogier to promote, and then I noticed something weird: his color scheme was the same as Deke's. I don't know if someone notified this before, but still, it's there.

Do you guys know what might have happened?

Huh, you're right.

That's really, really strange. We've done nothing to the palettes so it must be a side effect somewhere. I'm more curious about whether other characters are affected, too... This is something to look into for the next version. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: Okay, after testing the game, I can confirm that his palette is correct with only the translation patch applied, which means this is an issue caused by the numbers patch. I'll look into it when I have time.

Edited by gringe

Speaking of names what is the consensus on the names given on the art gallery?

http://www.serenesforest.net/gallery/fe6.html

*search for change log*

they're nintendo of japan's names for things, not official english ones. they can sometimes be a decent guide, but a good chunk of them are just plain awful and/or don't match what fe7 did (see: "eliwod")

lol Pant and ruth from FE7. Alright, well, if that is the case, then anything regarding names I do not really see a need to follow any sort of consistency policy as suggested before. Either way I am grateful for the effort being put forth. PLus, rutoga-toga-toga-toga-toga (references)

Edited by Vorena