FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Hello again. Here's my final version of the patch. It took a while longer but I think it was worth it.

I was on the verge of finding how to modify the class names when the units animate in the introduction. So I took a little more time to do just that and I did it. Now the names are consistant between both the class intro screens (the animated name + the animated character ones). The names for that screen were fairly easy to spot, they're written in plain English, ASCII encoding in the ROM. The problem though was that not all letters were present. And we needed 3 of those letters for the names: "C", "R" and "v".

So I used GBage to dump those letters graphics from the Fire Emblem 6 AND Fire Emblem 7 games (the missing letters are in that one!) I copied the 3 letters from the FE7 file to the FE6 one. Then reimport into FE6. Changed a couple of pointers, added the missing letters to an in-game list, modified the names, and voilà!

Here's the UPS patch for the final version of this hack. As I stated in my last post, apply the UPS patch onto Gringe's own translation patch (v.0.96b) and you'll be good to go.

Gringe, if you have any modification you'd like to have with this patch, like a name change for one of the class, just post here. I'll see what I can do. The limitations I wrote in my other posts are still in effect (for example: class names can't have more than 14 characters).

I hope everything is to your liking!

UPS Patch.zip

Edited by tabachanker

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perfect! absolutely perfect! thank you so very much for doing all this; i'm so glad to see this part finally done, and you've done a fantastic job on it. my only criticism is a class-name one; like the official english gba games, this translation itself calls falcon knights "falcoknight" as their actual name, instead of "falcon knight"; additionally, bandits are actually called "brigands" in the rest of the game

Edited by bookofholsety

perfect! absolutely perfect! thank you so very much for doing all this; i'm so glad to see this part finally done, and you've done a fantastic job on it. my only criticism is a class-name one; like the official english gba games, this translation itself calls falcon knights "falcoknight" as their actual name, instead of "falcon knight"; additionally, bandits are actually called "brigands" in the rest of the game

OK, I'll wait for Gringe's opinion on these 2 names. I can easily change them.

You wouldn't happen to have any notes (or a debugger log or something) showing how you located/altered this data, would you? I'm curious

I have plenty of notes! I already promised to do a more technical post at some point. I'll try to do this in the following days.

OK, I'll wait for Gringe's opinion on these 2 names. I can easily change them.

"Falcoknight" and "Brigand" are the way to go.

Beautiful work! I'll release a new version of the patch as soon as I can after you change those two names.

v0.97 is in the first post.

Huge thanks again to tabachanker for the opening class scroll!

0.97 Changelog:

-Class scroll fully implemented in English (!!!!) thanks to tabachanker

-Ch. 23 title reverted to "Ghosts of Bern" (thanks bookofholsety)

-Ch. 12x bandit description was genericized so that it doesn't say they come from Lycia

-Character deaths are now properly displayed in the ending with "Fallen" rather than "Title1"

-"Chap." shortened to "Ch." for ending scroll purposes

-Advisor Roartz -> High Chancellor Roartz

-The red gem description now gives the correct value (3,000 gold)

-Fixed a typo in the Sacae route gaiden intro ("vengenance" -> "vengeance")

-Reworded slightly and removed the constant smiles from the second demo scroll (if you wait long enough at the title screen after the class scroll finishes the first time, it plays another opening movie)

-Reworded Fir's death quote (The way is far -> I still have so far to go)

-Minor edit in the item edit screen at battle preparations: "Transfers items to and from Merlinus" -> "Transfer items to and from Merlinus"

-Fixed a typo in Jahn's speech ("It was then he told me wanted to..." -> "It was then he told me that he wanted to...")

-Changed some instances of "milord" to "my lord." The latter is used in FE7 by Marcus so I changed Marcus' dialogue (I think it only occurred in his supports with Roy anyway), and it also seemed unfitting for the nobles Lilina and Arcardo to use "milord" so I changed their usage to "my lord"

Next... the opening prologue? :O If tabachanker is up for it, let's do it! I'll get a translation finished in the next day or two.

Edited by gringe

Next... the opening prologue? :O If tabachanker is up for it, let's do it! I'll get a translation finished in the next day or two.

I want to do it for sure! It should be easier than translating the class names animation. However, I won't be able to work on this until probably next week (life and all...). When I work on something like this, I don't see the time pass. If I add up all the time I've worked on this hack, I must have clocked in more than 48 hours! Fortunately, now that I understand the game coding more, it should be easier and faster for the next hacks!

Congrats Gringe on your v0.97!! With again lots of minute changes here and there. But that's why your translation will be the best of the bunch. The attention to details here is important. This is, in my opinion, the difference between a standard fan translation and a professional looking one. Keep up the good work!

Edited by tabachanker

Awesome! And thanks. Take your time. I'm the same way when I get into things, so I totally understand.

I finished the translation of the intro. It's open to criticisms if anyone has any thoughts, though.

かつて 神がまだ

より人の近くにいた時代

神に祝福されし英雄が
人の存亡と未来をかけ
戦った世界

そこには
光を導く剣

闇よりいずるものたち

そして
炎を宿す
尊き紋章があった・・・

幾多の時間
幾多の空間をこえて

語りつがれる
「炎の紋章」の物語

Long ago, when the gods
were closer to men...

a great hero fought
to save mankind
with divine aid...

In his possession
was a sword of light...

to pierce the darkness...

and a sacred emblem
of burning light,
born of flames...

An emblem that surpasses
time and space...

This is a story of the
fabled Fire Emblem...

Edited by gringe

<sarcasm>

The removal of one letter in the menu screen is totally unacceptable! We must restart the Anti-Gringe Alliance!

</sarcasm>

Seriously, I will probably never use this patch anyway, so I'll leave it to FE6's fans.

In his possession

was a sword of light...

I find the sword of light makes me think more of Leaf's light sword than the Binding Blade. However other than that its really good and now I finally know what the hell the intro was about.

Great job on the class roll! I noticed a little error on the paladin's description there: "A title given to cavaliers whose life have been dedicated to the cause of justice."

Life should probably be changed to "lives", to fit with the plural nature of the sentence.

I just have to say I love the patch and I'm grateful people like you exist. Keep moving forward no matter what anyone says.

That doesn't mean I have no suggestions however (feel free to ignore them, you probably aren't taking any at this point, I just need to vent them out, y'know eh?):

•Move Roy's promotion a little sooner in the game. I am not QUITE at the part where he becomes a problem, but I constantly hear people kvetch about the fact. Not to mention it prevents him from leveling up.

•Add Assassins and Monks into the mix, as well as (obviously) Fell Contracts: I love using Thieves and Assassins and the games repeatedly shortchange them in terms of promotions. Steal and pick are nice skills, but can't Assassins be programmed to do that? As for monks, it's just for balance and the fact they are startlingly absent from most games. Potential reclass candidates from Thief to Assassin (using current names): Astol (because of his status as a spy)| Potential reclass candidates from mage/ healer to monk: Saul (but he IS supposed to need a bodyguard), Lugh (whose name comes from a Gaelic light god- not to mention he's paired with Ray- a dark magic user), Ellen (to distance herself from the 'Lena' pigeonhole).

•Add 10% to Wendy's speed growths to make her marginally useful.

•Rename healers (sisters/ priests) "curates" to make the class unisex.

•Change the following names: Dieck -> Deke (actual first name > obscure surname), Alan -> Alain (fits the Katakana), Ellen -> Erin (fits the Katakana), Trec(k) -> Taureck (name of a scientist who worked on Thymidine- the baby deformer painkiller- Trec(k) is not a name), Ray -> Lleu (it's Welsh), Igrene -> Igraine (Arthurian legend), Oujay -> Ogier (French, Song of Roland), Astol -> Astor (actual name), Yuno -> Juno (Latin, actual name), Niime-> Nimue (It's Welsh), Cath -> Kath (more common shortening- also Cath means battle in Irish I think, while Katherine mean's 'she's the summit'- more fitting for a thief) Yodel-> Jodle (Danish composer and singer), Gonzales -> Gonzalez (z is pronounced "th" in Castilian Spanish in most positions), Thani -> Shani (actual Hebrew name).

•Change Marcus's sprite color to orange to match up with Blazing Sword, and also Zealot shares a similar tint of purple.

•Change "cnt" (control?) into "use" and "conquer" into "seize" to match the other localizations.

•Add more to certain player character and boss descriptions (i.e. prevent them from being merely a "knight from Ostia").

Edited by Zontas

I'll respond to your suggestions one at a time.

•Move Roy's promotion a little sooner in the game. I am not QUITE at the part where he becomes a problem, but I constantly hear people kvetch about the fact. Not to mention it prevents him from leveling up.

The translation patch is purely a translation patch, meaning it has no gameplay changes. I've also done a minimalist numbers patch that changes some of the numbers to try to balance the game a little bit (available in the first post) but moving Roy's promotion up would be a pretty big change. Like it or not, I feel the late promotion is a deliberate design choice and the fact that Roy is a liability for so long, while not especially fun, adds sort of an element of challenge to the game.

•Add Assassins and Monks into the mix, as well as (obviously) Fell Contracts: I love using Thieves and Assassins and the games repeatedly shortchange them in terms of promotions. Steal and pick are nice skills, but can't Assassins be programmed to do that? As for monks, it's just for balance and the fact they are startlingly absent from most games. Potential reclass candidates from Thief to Assassin (using current names): Astol (because of his status as a spy)| Potential reclass candidates from mage/ healer to monk: Saul (but he IS supposed to need a bodyguard), Lugh (whose name comes from a Gaelic light god- not to mention he's paired with Ray- a dark magic user), Ellen (to distance herself from the 'Lena' pigeonhole).

Again, this would be more under the domain of the numbers patch, and again, it's too big of a change for me to consider. There are plenty of other FE6 hacks underway that do this.

•Add 10% to Wendy's speed growths to make her marginally useful.

Numbers patch again. Wendy (and all the armors, actually) have had pretty substantial boosts to their bases and growths to make them more worthwhile. There's an Excel document included with the numbers patch that shows all the changes to growths and base stats I made if you're curious.

•Rename healers (sisters/ priests) "curates" to make the class unisex.

Consistency with FE7 is a priority here so this isn't something I want to consider.

Dieck -> Deke (actual first name > obscure surname),

Already done.

Alan -> Alain (fits the Katakana),

He's Allen in the patch which also goes with the katakana.

Ellen -> Erin (fits the Katakana),

Actually, "Erin" doesn't fit the katakana (エレン). Her name is Elen in the patch, which is her official NOJ spelling and the name of a Welsh saint.

Trec(k) -> Taureck (name of a scientist who worked on Thymidine- the baby deformer painkiller- Trec(k) is not a name),

Treck is a name actually. Jan Jansz Treck was a still life painter.

Ray -> Lleu (it's Welsh),

True, but we've gone with the official spellings from Awakening and FE7 when applicable. He's called "Raigh" in Awakening, so that's what he is here.

Igrene -> Igraine (Arthurian legend),

She is called Igrene in FE7 so that's what we've gone with.

Oujay -> Ogier (French, Song of Roland),

Already done.

Astol -> Astor (actual name),

The katakana doesn't seem to indicate Astor in my opinion actually (it's アストール, indicating a stress on the second vowel, not アストル or アスター), so I've gone with the NOJ official spelling of Astore and consider its pronunciation "aSTORE."

Yuno -> Juno (Latin, actual name),

Already done.

Niime-> Nimue (It's Welsh),

She was called Niime in FE7. Nimue is the mythologically correct spelling, but I'm not willing to sacrifice consistency for mythological accuracy.

Cath -> Kath (more common shortening- also Cath means battle in Irish I think, while Katherine mean's 'she's the summit'- more fitting for a thief)

We've gone with Cath. Not really looking to change it.

Yodel-> Jodle (Danish composer and singer),

We've called him Yoder for its association with Saint Theodorus.

Gonzales -> Gonzalez (z is pronounced "th" in Castilian Spanish in most positions),

Both are valid spellings and at this point it would just be a pain to change it to a z with no real benefit.

Thani -> Shani (actual Hebrew name).

We've gone with Shanna, her name in Awakening.

My basic criteria for names is the following:

Names used in FE7/Awakening > Names from mythology/literature > Names which look nice

For the last one, NOJ official spellings and Smash Bros. spellings are considered but we're not bound by them.

•Change Marcus's sprite color to orange to match up with Blazing Sword, and also Zealot shares a similar tint of purple.

Not looking to change graphics with either the translation patch or the numbers patch.

•Change "cnt" (control?) into "use" and "conquer" into "seize" to match the other localizations.

Done.

•Add more to certain player character and boss descriptions (i.e. prevent them from being merely a "knight from Ostia").

Already done. Although it's purely a translation patch, I've tried to fill in some gaps in dialogue and generic descriptions here and there to keep different characters from having the exact same descriptions.

Thanks man. I thought you also did some numbers patches, so that's why I suggested some.

Edit: Weren't "Sisters" Clerics?

Edited by Zontas

I find the sword of light makes me think more of Leaf's light sword than the Binding Blade. However other than that its really good and now I finally know what the hell the intro was about.

The way I interpreted the opening, although on the surface it's talking about Hartmut, it can also be applied to Marth (given the "sword of light" and the "emblem that surpasses time and space"). Light swords are just a common theme in FE I guess. :P

I noticed a little error on the paladin's description there: "A title given to cavaliers whose life have been dedicated to the cause of justice."

Life should probably be changed to "lives", to fit with the plural nature of the sentence.

I agree and I've noticed the same thing, but it was copy and pasted from FE7, and given my OCD tendency to keep things consistent when possible... :P

I agree and I've noticed the same thing, but it was copy and pasted from FE7, and given my OCD tendency to keep things consistent when possible... :P

What ._.

I love FE7, but sometimes I wonder if the translators were paying attention xD

Super minor, but Narcian's missing some punctuation (either an exclamation point or a semi-colon, I'm not sure what the intention was) in his boss quote.

9accpYR.png

Also, should the titles of the legendary weapons be proper nouns? It feels kind of off seeing them written in lowercase, (i.e. the glorious ascension, Aureola rather than The Glorious Ascension, Aureola), but that might just be me.

Edited by Oshimos

Can I get a link to the ROM with the applied patch?

I should note that the latest version will be really hard to find preapplied, because you will usualy find the old translation. Just use nups. It will automaticaly check to make sure that you are using the right rom. All you need to do is select the patche and an unmodified fe6 rom. Simple.

Edited by sirmola

As promised: One translation of the prologue.

I had to, again, rip a FE7 font to make it look OK. But since FE7 uses an entirely different prologue animation than FE6, it may not be optimal. That's why I included with the patch file the png file I created of the font I used. If any of you want to try its hands at another font, it's very easy to replace the one I did. You only have to follow those guidelines:

• Each character is 16x16 pixels (letters can be smaller than that box, just fill the rest with the color #0)
  • Align each character completely to the left of its 16x16 box. Use the same boxes for all characters as the included png file (ex: place your A in the same 'A' box)
  • The game uses a table inside the code to calculate the width of a letter, so the actual size of each letter can be different (like I and W for example). That width table is found at offset $6916E5 (to $691734). Each byte represents the width of a character, in order, from left to right, top to bottom. The empty boxes are considered spaces and you should put the width of a space there.
  • The game uses a different color palette for the text for each prologue screen. In the png file I included, colors #0-15 is one of the palette used (blueish tint), colors #16-31 is another palette (redish tint), colors #32-47 another one (brownish tint) and colors #48-63 the last one (different blue than first). If you're interested, the 4 palettes are, back to back, at offset $380ECC in ROM file (32 bytes each)
  • Make sure to only use colors #0 to #15 when making your own font. The other colors I included are only there for reference.
  • Don't use characters too large. I tried one font where every character was 14 pixels large. This was too large and the letters on the screens were all over the place! (if a text sentence is larger than the screen width, the centering function goes all wonky).
  • When finished, you can put your font (LZ77 compressed) in the ROM file at offset $37F478. You can use GBage to do this. The current font takes $09F4 bytes. But the original one was $1A54 bytes (at the same offset), so in reality, the limit is really $1A54 bytes. GBage might tell you there isn't enough place though because I think it will use the current length ($09F4). Anyway, the offset you shouldn't go over is $380ECB.

Gringe, I used your translation on the other page of this thread. If for some reason you want to change something... Good news! You can do it yourself (with FEditor). The text offsets to change are, in order of appearance $0C0F (Nintendo presents), then $0C08 to $0C0E. Here's also some guidelines for these changes:

• DON'T write more than 52 characters in each offset. The game will crash if you do. I made some modifications to the code so that, at least, the spaces don't count anymore towards that total (and each letters take about 100 bytes of RAM instead of 200...) But be careful as 52 is just an approximation. Each prologue screen uses memory differently (different animations) so there may be screens with less possible characters.
  • You can use only the characters you see in the png file I included (A to Z, a to z, 0 to 9, dot, comma, apostrophe and colon.)
  • You can change the amount of lines for a particual text. You'll have to change the starting Ypos of the text though if you do. The Ypos for each text offsets (same order, $0C08 to $0C0F) are at offset $691778 for the 1st text, then add 12 to that offset for each subsequent texts. The Ypos uses 2 bytes, and its little endian, i.e., bytes are reversed (for example, for the Ypos $003C, you'll see $3C $00 in ROM file).

If you need to change anything else, don't be afraid to ask, it may be feasible! For example, if your text is longer, there may be some timing issues (not enough time to read the text before it vanishes, etc.). There's a possiblity to easily change the amount of time a text is displayed and the amount of time the letters appear/disappear. There's even a possibility to add some text offsets, though this will be a lot harder. But it's possible if you need it.

Anyway, enough with the wall of text. Here's the new UPS patch with the png file of the English font used. The patch is for v0.97 of the translation.

Patch prologue.zip

Edited by tabachanker