FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's something I want to point out about Smash 4 and why we might wann take it's trophies with a grain of salt. Funny enough it involves Falchion... And it's technically not wrong I just think it's inappropriate context.

Marth's final smash trophy calls Falchion "[the] Exalted Falchion". In the Japanese version of Awakening, however, the item known as "exalted Falchion" was called "Divine Sword Falchion". However, in the English release of shadow dragon (fe11) Falchion was frequently called by the moniker "the Divine Sword, Falchion" and sometimes "The Blade of Light". The Exalted Falchion in that specific context was referencing the power unleashed by the Awakening ritual and POSSIBLY the first Exalt, but given the contexts used in shadow dragon I do want to make the case the trophy should have been rendered "his Divine Sword, Falchion,".

Now I'm not saying SSB4 is entirely untrustworthy, in large part thanks to awakening, but it's still by no means as official a source as an official English FE like 7 and 13 or SMTXFE (though it's validity is undetermined, to be fair, as it's not even out). I think we need to take the use of "Sword of Seals" with a grain of salt considering it's the EXACT same word in Japanese and of course Smash's track record. 4 is by no means outright wrong like Brawl, but still.

Note that if we do implement "Sword of Seals," I guess "Rutoga" is in as well.

I don't really see why.

Rutoga was a sticker -- something that had minimal effort put into it, and appeared in a tiny corner of a single game. The Sword of Seals, on the other hand, is attached to two trophies in different games that are themselves attached to a playable character -- something that would seemingly receive some level of oversight. This is particularly the case in Smash 4, where Roy is both advertised more heavily (as additional content that needs to warrant a purchase in of itself) and doesn't have the excuse of deadlines.

Additionally, they had "The Binding Blade" and "Sword of Seals" in the same trophy. That can't be a simple translation error because, without something else going on, most people would use the same name for each. I can't imagine why, but they're intentionally giving the subtitle a different name than his sword. "Rutoga", on the other hand, is a one-and-done thing that they probably translated without even knowing what it was.

While it's always wise not to take Smash as gospel, I think Sword of Seals is a different situation compared to the likes of Rutoga. Also unlike Rutoga, it also actually works better in the context of the game -- the Sword of Seals is in the Shrine of Seals, after all, and not the Basilica of Bondage.

As a translator, I personally think it's... just awkward.

And frustrating.

It's 封印の剣. The same exact item.

It's like saying Rekka no Ken should be called "Blazing Sword" in the title and "The Sword of Flame" in the in-game titles.

It's... urgh.

I personally think it's just "Sword of Seals" because people found that familiar in Melee.

I don't know what they wanted to do with it, but any move they make would have been confusing anyway because the two "localizations" didn't agree from Awakening spotpass and now this.

Their two possible moves:

1. Retcon "Sword of Seals" and keep it as "one" Binding Blade

2. Do what they did here and confuse the ever living hell out of everyone, but keep the "familiarity" of "Sword of Seals".

Blazing Sword = Durandal

Binding Blade = Sword of Seals

So not really IMO

The difference here, Klok, is that the "Durandal" is literally a different character set:

デュランダル and 烈火の剣

The name of the sword and its title.

While the "Sword of Seals" never has a name besides 封印の剣.

There's literally no reason to split it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I propose we wait for an official Fire Emblem release (considering a Roy amiibo is probably coming, Roy might be in FE14) to call the sword by a name. If the sword is "Sword of Seals" change it, but if it's "Binding Blade" in an official FE game then keep it.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

I propose we wait for an official Fire Emblem release (considering a Roy amiibo is probably coming, Roy might be in FE14) to call the sword by a name. If the sword is "Sword of Seals" change it, but if it's "Binding Blade" in an official FE game then keep it.

That's the plan for the moment.

The entire problem is Binding Blade, anyway.

Durandal's title in FE7 is Blazing Blade, and since the names for 6 and 7 use different readings for the last character, FE6 should use whichever one doesn't get used (i.e. Sword of Seals.) Similarly, the weapon should be named after that title, so as to not be confused with Durandal. This would also be consistent with the weapon structure, where swords (like the Sword of Seals) are more compact while blades (like Durandal) are clunkier.

Nintendo is standing firm that The Binding Blade is the title they want FE6 to be called by, however, and that screws up everything. No matter which direction you take, you're either contradicting the appearance of the sword, its (non) relation to Durandal, and the only name by which the sword itself has been referenced consistently (twice)... or contradicting the title of the game and ruining the game's attempt at a title drop. Personally, I feel like the title is less important. Nintendo has historically altered the names of previous entries in the series, although they have until now been consistent with terms used in the games themselves. Given all of the aforementioned, however, as well as simple stuff like the Shrine of Seals continuing to exist... I feel like using Sword of Seals presents fewer discrepancies. That it's consistent with two Smash games is mostly a happy coincidence, not unlike Deke.

To be on the safe side, though, you may as well continue waiting until FE14's English release to make a final call on it. For all it's looking to me like they're arbitrarily splitting the title and weapon, it would be silly to change it only to risk needing to change it back in half a years' time. Serlis says hi.

Edited by Iridium

Ah -- one more thing, that I entirely forgot.

There does exist one place in the localized Fire Emblem series proper where the "Sword of Seals", in plain English, is referred to. It... doesn't really count, I suppose, given the context, but it's been there since the very beginning, alongside the "The Binding Blade" subtitle that was used in the initial Fire Emblem website. Do you all remember?

The unused File Transfer data from this very thread. Much as 8x is "The Blazing Blade", which is used within the game (albeit in a very obscure line of dialogue), 21 is simply "Sword of Seals". For the purposes of confirmation, again, this probably doesn't really count -- said data is unused amidst a lot of other ugly, Rutoga-tier names (including other weapon descriptions!) -- but throughout the entirety of the English series, it is the only direct reference to the sword itself. That should at least make it worth some tiny shard of consideration.

I want to point out to gringe the official title of FE1 is "Shadow Dragon and the BLADE of Light", not Sword of Light. Along with Nintendo insisting it's Binding Blade, it seems they are translating Tsurugi as Blade, and not Sword. Also by that logic, FE7's official title would be Blazing SWORD and not Blazing Blade.

I want to point out to gringe the official title of FE1 is "Shadow Dragon and the BLADE of Light", not Sword of Light. Along with Nintendo insisting it's Binding Blade, it seems they are translating Tsurugi as Blade, and not Sword. Also by that logic, FE7's official title would be Blazing SWORD and not Blazing Blade.

It's called Blazing Blade in FE7's script.

EDIT: At least, I thought it did. Can't find the reference I was thinking of....

EDIT2: found it.

Athos: You must get to the blazing blade as soon as possible…

Edited by L95

Note that "Ken" and "Tsurugi" can be used interchangeably, as long as the kanji isn't part of the Japanese equivalent of a compound word. For example FE1 was called "Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi," but FE11 was called "Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken."

I have no idea why they never use "fuuin no ken" or "rekka no tsurugi," but there's no reason why they couldn't have done so.

I brought this up a while ago, but I think it's worth bringing up again: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27930&hl

Anyway, "Blade" and "Sword" are as interchangeable in English as "Ken" and "Tsurugi" are in Japanese, but for example Durandal was never officially called the Blazing Sword; only the "blazing blade" or the "sword of sacred fire."

Edited by Paper Jam

It's a mistake to assume that a certain word will always be translated into another certain word (unless it's a game term or a specific item name or something). This is simply NOT how translation works.

A certain One Piece fansubber famously made this error because the word "nakama" couldn't be translated the same way all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I dont know if you're still paying attention to this at all, but i'd like to play this patch on my phone emulator (GBA4IOS). However, since these files are .ups, i can't use them. Is there any way to convert this file in a .gba file so i can play it on my emulator?

Hey gringe, I finally got around to correcting the transparent pixels in the menu banners. The fix should be easy to implement, just update the values found at the below offsets. Let me know if you have any questions.

offset 0x32A458, change $0F -> $CF

offset 0x32A4EC, change $0F -> $CF

Also, a quick question for you. On the original translation project's blog (http://dtn-fe6trans.livejournal.com), it states “Attempted a fix of Chapter 17b problem; there is now a Chapter 17a problem…”. Are there still any issues with Chapter 17, or have you already resolved these problems?

Edited by Chad

Chad: Thanks! But, err... You'll have to remind me what that correction is for. >_>

Also, I'm not aware of any issues with Chapter 17 and I've played through the game quite a few times... If anyone sees anything off, though, please let me know!

Allright, so I've patched the file with a Japanese rom of the game, but it still doesnt work when I open de .gba file on my emulator.

When I try to open it, I just get a white screen instead of the game starting. I've tested the Japanese rom without the english patch and it does work.

The rom I used was from emuparadise, see the link below.

nope

Any idea how to solve this problem?

EDIT: after trying a lot of different ways of downloading, I finally managed to get it working!

Edited by Tangerine