FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I of course don't mean to nitpick, but if you ever do a v1.1, make sure to call it the Sword of Seals now.

While bizarre, it has been well established by now that the sword is called "Sword of Seals", but the game is called "Binding Blade". No, it doesn't make sense. No, no reason has been provided. But it's official, so it will almost certainly not be changing.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, the Sword is officially called Sword of Seals? Where but Smash is it called that? iirc gringe wasn't using Smash TLs for anything due to different teams.

we'll probably change it if

1. roy amiibo support is patched into fe14
  2. said amiibo support calls his weapon the "sword of seals"

if this does not happen, then calling his weapon that is a hard nope. we've been over this a few times already, except gringe was a lot more diplomatic about it than i am

The game's name will NOT be changing.

The only thing up for debate is the item's name, which, considering our policy on official names up until now, is probably also a no, since it was only in Smash Bros.

I'm thinking of throwing a reference to the additional name somewhere into Jahn's speeches at the end, though. :P

Thank you so much for this patch, I really appreciate it so far and it's been great! (I had to use the IPS patch btw)

I actually had a question I thought I might ask..

If I was to use the IPS patch for experimental reasons, such as doing changes to stat growths for characters, and weaponry. How would I go about doing that and applying it to the IPS patch I downloaded from here?

What programs would I need to do those custom changes?

I've already beaten the game once, but now I just want to see if I could do some changes for my own personal interest to see if I can make it either more challenging or balanced for better gameplay experience.

I'd be willing to share what I do with it in the near future. But don't get me wrong, all of the current credit for the changes already made will go to you guys. I'm not here to steal in any form of way or fashion. I'm not changing anything as the translation either.

I'd do it without the IPS patch from here....but unfortunately I can't read Japanese lol XD

All you have to do is hard patch the IPS file to a ROM, and that ROM will become an "English ROM" rather than a Japanese one. Then you can edit it directly.

You should use a program called Nightmare if you want to edit stats and such, but you'll also need the FE6 modules for Nightmare. The program isn't super user friendly, but it's not all that difficult to learn by tinkering with it yourself.

Oh, well I already had hard patched it and actually played the game in English myself..I just didn't know if I needed to use another IPS patch if I wanted to add more changes...

But nevertheless, I shall try my luck with Nightmare and see what I can do. I'm not worried about how difficult it will be. I've been rom hacking for a while now. I just never completed my intended Pokemon Gold redux and took a break from it. I've only been in Fire Emblem since Awakening, and now I'm enjoying the older games as well.

Binding Blade is just going to be my first FE hack attempt :3

Can anyone tell me if the glitch in chapter 11 is fixed? I don't want to find out after playing until chapter 11 again :sob:

Pretty sure that's not a thing in this patch. You should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

Just popping up to say hello, and to tell Gringe I may have found a typo in the last version. It's the description for the blue gem I believe. Here's the entry in FEditor Adv:

Text of ID 0x0626
A rare gemstone woth
5,000 gold.[X]

Also, I found out how to compress all the texts back into the original game's compression format. That way, almost all the texts can be compressed and tucked neatly inside the ROM at their original spot (offset $00817C00). It doesn't serve any purpose other than being neat I guess? The original game and the older English translation were done that way. But it's short and easy to do (now that I know how to do it). The only downside is having to check almost everything again, just to be sure every text is still in its proper place. FEditor Adv can be used to compare the texts before and after (since it can read FE compressed texts).

Anyway, just wanted to tell you it's something feasible, and if that interests you, send a message my way!

Edited by tabachanker

tbh i'd be all for that if it means getting certain dialogue blocks out of the name/description strings for cut items :P

Unfortunately, It wouldn't fix those. It would simply change the text to something else. The best thing we can do for the cut items is to modify their text pointers to somewhere else in the ROM and put our own text there.

The only purpose I see for compressing the texts is to have a neater release, and even then, only at a code level, i.e. not apparent to anyone that doesn't bother with those kind of things.

Thanks for the error report, tabachanker! That'll go on the to-do list.

If the release is neater, then I guess it might be easier to make changes down the line if we want to (Link Arena still isn't done so it could maybe help with that? I dunno). I've been quite busy the last few weeks translating the story and menus and such of a new game at work, so it might confuse me a little if I try to get back into FE6 right at this moment. Maybe this summer.

• 1 month later...

Is there a detailed guide on how to properly download this rom? I've trying to do as the original post says to do it but I'm still having a lot of trouble because I don't know much about this kind of thing. I really want to play this since I just finished FE7.

Google rom. Google Lunar IPS (IPS version)/NUPS (UPS version). Run patcher of choice. Apply the patch. ONLY APPLY ONE PATCH AT A TIME. MULTIPLES WILL BREAK YOUR ROM.

Edited by Darrman

Google rom. Google Lunar IPS (IPS version)/NUPS (UPS version). Run patcher of choice. Apply the patch. ONLY APPLY ONE PATCH AT A TIME. MULTIPLES WILL BREAK YOUR ROM.

I'm using the Lunar IPS patcher and tried to apply the patch I downloaded from original post, but it doesn't work. Says it's not an IPS file despite it clearly saying it's an IPS file. Tried to use NUPS too but when I try to select the patch it's nowhere to be found. What am I doing wrong?

Yeah I extracted files when it asked me if I wanted to. I think my problem is that there's no UPS file I can run it on? There's an upper box for the file I want to patch, and a lower box for just an UPS patch. I got the file for the upper one, but I can't find anything for the lower one. Sorry if I'm seeming really stupid.

Run NUPS. Click the first option, "apply UPS patch to file." Another window should pop up. Put the rom in the top box, and the patch in the bottom box. Check the backup box just to be safe, set the invalid setting to ignore, and click the patch button. It should look like the picture below.

http://imgur.com/VI5gLpk

• 2 weeks later...

Gringe, is there any chance once the Link Arena is done that you could do a retranslation of the official Hasha no Tsurigi manga to also be consistent with your translation and Awakening?

Well, unless someone wants to step in and help with the Link Arena, don't be so sure that'll be done. ;P

I used to do fan translations of manga, but I find that it just takes up too much time to do these days. I've actually tried, but it's difficult to get myself to do it when I'm home. :/ So to give you a straight answer, most likely not.

My current job keeps me extremely busy so it's hard to find time to think about fan translating as a whole. That's not a complaint, though, because I do what I love at work (translating games and such).

Thanks for the hard work

Just wanted to share that I don't like various things in this translation patch such as the name "Milady"

I'm too lazy and don't care enough to actually mention them, so this post is pretty worthless, I'm just getting that complaint out of my system. thank you for your understanding

Thanks for the hard work

Just wanted to share that I don't like various things in this translation patch such as the name "Milady"

I'm too lazy and don't care enough to actually mention them, so this post is pretty worthless, I'm just getting that complaint out of my system. thank you for your understanding

You're not the first and probably won't be the last. :p

"Repeat to yourself, 'it's just a game, I should really just relax.'"