FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Milady is a valid translation of her name, and while it's a dumb name, so is Miledy or Miredy or any other way you translate her name. It's not gringe's fault her name is dumb, it's IS's for giving her a bad name in the first place.

woah there, no need to be rude. everyone's relaxed. except maybe you. i wouldn't know!

Easy there, no offense intended. It was just a quote from the opening song of MST3K. :P

Honestly, Milady is a valid translation of her name, and while it's a dumb name, so is Miledy or Miredy or any other way you translate her name. It's not gringe's fault her name is dumb, it's IS's for giving her a bad name in the first place.

I like Melody but it's not very accurate so I can see why it wasn't used.

That's actually a really good name. Would you consider this name for a future update, gringe?

you're not wrong

I'm not particularly blaming gringe for anything, nor am I suggesting any better alternatives, or expecting any changes, so there's no need for anyone to get defensive, I just chanced upon this thread and have tried this translation for the first time (I've always used the og one or the og Jap version because i'm og) so i was like 'hurr i guess i'll make a worthless post cuz i can and i do what i want'

yeah, rip, gotta follow dat Japanese/make sense for the character

Zephiel should have been named "zafaia" even though Roy's the one known for using fire.. also why did NoA translate Fa as Fae, and why does English have to be a stupid language in general. it's all your fault, gringe, how are you going to make this up to everyone *shot*

inb4someonetakesthisseriously

Edited by Crimson Red

That's actually a really good name. Would you consider this name for a future update, gringe?

Outright changing a character name like this would go against the philosophy of this translation. Basically, literature and mythological references take priority after official names, and as weird a name and unfitting a reference as it is, Milady is a reference to Milady de Winter from the Three Musketeers. So, unfortunately, it stays.

Crimson Red: If the original writers considered their name renditions sacred, they wouldn't allow NoA or whoever to change them in localization.

If the original writers considered their name renditions sacred, they wouldn't allow NoA or whoever to change them in localization.

Maybe because they do not work for IS or Nintendo anymore. FE4's Kaga for example, even if they are against it, they can do nothing about it.

Edited by hanhnn

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/2266/fire-emblem-path-of-radiance-interview

TPMUKdm.png

i'm not going to mince words here. you're welcome to be critical of official localisation name change decisions, but if you seriously think that they're in any way actively disrespectful toward intsys or done without their consent, you're a fucking idiot and you need to learn how localisations actually work

Edited by bookofholsety

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I am nvery new to this and I was wondering if someone could help me a little bit. I downloaded NUPS patcher, the translation, visual boy advance, and the game. But when I go to apply the English patch in NUPS it says the patch is corrupt, anyway to remedy this?

Hey, fairly new here, but I just wanted to say thank you for making this wonderful fan translation.

I actually started playing Fire Emblem a little over a year ago, so I guess in general I'm a pretty new fan.

I've always loved Roy from Smash Bros, he's still my main, so I really wanted to get to know him better.

My first game was FE7, but right afterwards I picked up this very fan translation and made it the 2nd Fire Emblem game I've ever played.

So thanks for helping me get into my now favourite video game series!

My bank account didn't appreciate it, but I do! :P

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this patch, doubt ever seeing the Link arena get much love (Oh no I'll be confused when naming my teams and think how bad that will be as I play with all the people using my link cable to my PC/Phone) but this patch did allow me to actually like Roy for his character, try and defend his 21(x) promotion...because I'm dumb, and basically have a favourite game in the series. And I have played (not completed 4/5/12 though got half way through) all the games, this one will still be one I love, just for the characters and I think there done good justice, even the silly names like Milady, I wonder if there's a difference for that in English English and American English... But yes silly names aside "Noah stop flirting with Fir, go build your ark" The only problem I ever had was it crashing when trying to start the snow trial map, though it's never done it after so I amuse that was my Emulator more than the patch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I managed to patch the game following your steps, Idk if I am just being plain-out dumb, but where is the patched file? Or is it the original Japanese ROM I downloaded off the internet? This is my first time doing this kind of thing btw.

Ok, I managed to patch the game following your steps, Idk if I am just being plain-out dumb, but where is the patched file? Or is it the original Japanese ROM I downloaded off the internet? This is my first time doing this kind of thing btw.

The patched ROM replaces the old ROM.

• 3 months later...

Just a heads up, we managed to get new localized names from Fire Emblem Heroes to the other Binding Blade characters that weren't appeared in Fire Emblem Awakening that was shown from the Fire Emblem Direct.

This is where the official site was found: https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote/series/106/heroes#first_letter_A

I came here to share what the person just above me said. I really hope gringe is intending to adopt the now-official names (yay for this being standardised finally!). Other than the work, I don't see a reason not to personally, but fortunately the text is (relatively?) easy to edit in the GBA games in case anyone else really gets stubborn.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no see! I actually downloaded Heroes and saw that Wendy's name was now Gwendolyn and came to comment. Looks like there are a lot of other changes too. To be perfectly honest my job now (which this translation helped me to get!) has me a lot busier than when I made this patch originally so I won't be able to put the same kind of time into it that I did before. But, being the OCD kind of person I am, it feels like as good a time as any for an update to the patch. So in other words, eventually! Hopefully!

It looks like quite a few names will need changing. I'm a little surprised at stuff like "Dieck" but hey.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, gringe said:

Long time no see! I actually downloaded Heroes and saw that Wendy's name was now Gwendolyn and came to comment. Looks like there are a lot of other changes too. To be perfectly honest my job now (which this translation helped me to get!) has me a lot busier than when I made this patch originally so I won't be able to put the same kind of time into it that I did before. But, being the OCD kind of person I am, it feels like as good a time as any for an update to the patch. So in other words, eventually! Hopefully!

It looks like quite a few names will need changing. I'm a little surprised at stuff like "Dieck" but hey.

Any chance of the Link arena being cleaned up eventually with the names since all that needs to be done in the main story is names? =|

EDIT: Yup, Roy's sword now has an official name outside of Smash and it's "Binding Blade".

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

On 2017/2/3 at 1:40 AM, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Any chance of the Link arena being cleaned up eventually with the names since all that needs to be done in the main story is names? =|

EDIT: Yup, Roy's sword now has an official name outside of Smash and it's "Binding Blade".

IIRC a lot of the Link Arena would be a big pain/something I can't do with my current knowledge, so although I'd like to, I can't say for sure.

A couple points I've realized since making the last post (thanks bookofholsety):

• I won't consider the names on the website official until the characters are actually released in FE Heroes. Murdock was apparently called "Marduk" previously? It seems to me that Nintendo isn't considering the names on the site final, so I won't either.
  • "Gwendolyn" actually won't fit within the constraints of the GBA games character limits on certain screens, which means we have a couple options.
  1. Hack the screens that won't fit to make "Gwendolyn" fit (not something I can do)
  2. Make her "character name" a nickname and have characters call her "Gwendolyn" in the story. (Bors, being a doting older brother, would probably call her her nickname.) We have a couple options for her nickname.
    1. Wendy (as is)
    2. Gwen
    3. Gwendy