FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I wonder if some of Idun's dialogue would be changed to reference Sephiroth a bit. I could easily see "I am the chosen one. I have been chosen to rule this planet." somewhat working for Idun's conversation with Roy.

Given her resemblance to him, I don't see why not.

yes clearly the two are exactly the same character with identical histories and personalities

v1vUb3I.png

just look at 'em - so obviously separated at birth

i ship it

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay i'm done with my playthrough up to chapter 9, which i think i actually found slightly easier and/or more enjoyable than any past playthrough of FE6 i've done. probably because i'm no longer a complete idiot compared to my first playthrough idk

anyway

ERROR REPORT TIME

this isn't even close to exhaustive - i did try to visit everywhere and get every bit of dialogue, but odds are i glanced over a few other errors

Chapter 4:

Q96rsSc.png

"peaked my curiosity" should be "piqued"

Chapter 5:

5oQhwrN.png

the text box extending off the screen like this looks pretty bad (i'm kinda surprised it didn't explode into odd box glitches like what you get with world map box overflows). part of the problem may be the paragraph's length; may i recommend rephrasing its beginning as "Bern's Head Church" to cut down its length slightly?

Chapter 6:

91MzRg4.png

the "the" in "First The Silver Wolf's" shouldn't be capitalised being that it's not part of the actual proper noun. i GUESS this one isn't a big deal and it may be technically acceptable, but it looks weird

Chapter 7:

W76ajZk.png

ah, world map text box overflows, my old friend. also i guess the phrasing is a bit clumsy in general; try "Legance keeps her hostage in Castle Ostia, perhaps thinking she could be of use later."

5BFqZj7.png

this one should be pretty obvious

Chapter 9:

70Wed98.png

weird indentation at the beginning of the text box

eCUdr5I.png

misplaced comma (also imo i'd replace "taken" with "sent" but that's just me)

RIbx1qy.png

awkward phrasing; it normally goes "goodness of your hearts"

errors aside though i'm really liking the new script so far

Edited by bookofholsety

Will correct all of those as soon as I can.

I swear, being in Japan has ruined my English. "Assist" is used in Japanese as a noun (アシスト) so it didn't even occur to me that it was off.

And thanks a lot for the comment! It's very encouraging.

One unrelated question to the general public though... For "Silver Wolf," was Dayan actually ever referred to as that in FE7? Because he was apparently referred as "Ash Wolf Dayan" in Guy's combat quote with Uhai.

Uhai: Oh... so you are from Sacae
Guy: I am Guy of the Kutolah!
Uhai: Kutolah... the Ash Wolf, Dayan's tribe! They're said to be the strongest on the plains. But you're still a child. Do you fight like one?
Guy: No!
Uhai: Then show me. Come!

If he was ever referred to as the "Silver Wolf" though then I can disregard this as an internal inconsistency.

EDIT: Found the answer to my own question. He's mentioned in Rath's ending.

Rath returned to his tribe in Sacae. His deeds earned him warm greetings from his father the famed Silver Wolf.

Oh well. FE7 internal inconsistency it is. Silver Wolf he stays.

EDIT2: But okay, another question. How are people of Sacae called in FE7? Sacaen? Sacaean?

Edited by gringe

Don't know why I didn't think to just do a search in an FE7 ROM. Sacaean appears two times in the script, but Sacaen appears many, many times. So, I guess I'll use Sacaen.

Sacaean appears two times in the script,

The fact it appears this little while the other spelling appears so much tells me it might just be a mispelling anyway. It seems long and difficult to pronounce so definitely use Sacaen.

Yeah, that's the plan at this point.

I fixed all the errors bookofholsety mentioned, and I actually found one or two more. Will fix them ASAP. But for now, here's a screenie progress report of chapter 10A.

Star of this episode: Gonzales!

In the Japanese version Gonzales talks like a simpleton, but translating that as caveman speak is a little extreme. Extreme, but I think it works very well. It is a little half-baked in some areas though so I've tried to make sure his speech pattern is always super simplistic.

ylzdnNw.png

t8E5Ezp.png

5QaOCSo.png

1YDqLJl.png

ofQV9aG.png

2bJkqqo.png

Zx0D5Rw.png

zvsIYhv.png

4dpJi1I.png

KL6Lkh5.png

z8KDmaX.png

xLg203n.png

iJFVr4E.png

AehRrHO.png

s1mdFaC.png

I like that style of speech a lot, it really seems to fit with his portrait. However I've never played FE6 so I can't say if it'll be jarring or not for other people.

Also, that conversation with Lilina breaks my heart. I actually feel really bad for him now!

Edited by ManriKlok

Actually, it was that way in the original patch, but sometimes he would speak with a complete sentence, making it feel half-assed occasionally. I like the caveman speak for him, so I'm just cleaning it up a bit.

And I agree, Gonzales is a surprisingly tragic character. ;_;

Edited by gringe

I've been making my way through 10A/11A and 10B/11B's scripts, but the text in these parts is arranged in a not-so-organized fashion. Naturally it's easy to search for text if I know what's being said, but some text is roughly in chronological order while other bits are in an index far removed from the rest and it doesn't help that a lot of this dialogue won't even be activated in a typical playthrough.

So point is, it's very possible some of this dialogue might slip through the cracks. Hopefully once this progresses a little further more people will be willing to help test it.

Well, it was quite a pain in the tookus, but 10-11A+B are done, I think. Here are some highlights.

I went ahead and changed the spellings of locations to the names as spelled on the overworld map. Djuto in particular is quite confusing when there's also an important tribe called Djute... I'm not sure why the decision was made originally to change these spellings anyway.

Idina -> Edina

vpnSg9N.png

Mt. Ebrakhm -> Eburacum

cAEEVHK.png

And an instance of Dhia to Dia and all instances of Djuto to Jutes. Don't have any screenshots for those.

Here is Geese.

LGSPI4w.png

CwX43Fc.png

cMYJbRc.png

"I'm Bartre the Badass!"

wKly7gn.png

k6hLPGN.png

MB0kbo1.png

mZw5ewj.png

L9VQEr1.png

6c7viu1.png

iZR5FKb.png

93xxN24.png

BjAupfh.png

ewFPWLD.png

Hehe, I can't actually help with the technical stuff, but I must say I'm loving the progress so far. I keep comparing updates to the old patch I have, and I love seeing the monumental improvements! Do keep up the good work, you guys are amazing!

Hehe, I can't actually help with the technical stuff, but I must say I'm loving the progress so far. I keep comparing updates to the old patch I have, and I love seeing the monumental improvements! Do keep up the good work, you guys are amazing!

Thanks, that's really encouraging!

Sounds dirty now. "Eb, ur a cum?"

I realize this one was probably changed because it has "cum" in it (hurrhurr), but Eburacum was a real place in the Roman Empire, and it was in the British Isles, no less. (Elibe mirrors Europe and the Western Isles are the British Isles.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eboracum

Reading up on the article of the place, do you think you might end up using the similar-but-less-"dirty" Eborakon or Eburaci instead? It references the same place but would cut down on the immature snickering a little, maybe.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but that would require another graphic edit. If we can do it seamlessly, then sure, let's do it. But if no one can help with that I don't think it's worth the effort.

Hello everyone, I spoke with Gringe, and had this stupid idea of posting some localization work here, blissfully unaware of how rude I was being (as is what happens sometimes)! No, Gringe didn't chew me out, mention anything, or act like a primadonna, I just figured it out on my own with some help. That's what this post was here for! Have a nice day!

Edited by FionordeQuester

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but that would require another graphic edit. If we can do it seamlessly, then sure, let's do it. But if no one can help with that I don't think it's worth the effort.

did somebody order an obnoxious fellow with a twitchy photoshop finger

Ih5z7Kf.png

i've no objection to just leaving as "Eburacum" - the way i see it, once the patch is out who gives a shit about who makes semen jokes (and considering that the "Eburacum" graphic was still in earlier versions of the patch we all know it's been done already) - but w/e if it means pretending i'm useful

rather than going with any of the names listed for the real place, i just turned the "um" into "ham". after all you don't get much more vaguely referencing England than a place with a "ham" on the end, and i think it's pronounced pretty much the same way as "Eburacum" except without the visual semen connotation (i'm pretty sure the place name wouldn't be pronounced the same way as that euphemism)

i guess i'll also need to do an edit to turn "Caledonia" into "Caldonia" but there's no hurry for that WHOOPS MY HAND SLIPPED

H4vTHPZ.png

someone revoke my photoshop licence

please

for the good of mankind

Edited by bookofholsety

Yeah, I'm fine with Eburacum actually. If someone makes a jizz joke I guess that's their problem.

Wait, I didn't even realize "Caldonia" was mentioned in Awakening. Good catch. If we're doing map graphics though then I guess "League of Lycia" should be changed to "Lycian League" and "Ereb" changed to "Elibe."

MB0kbo1.png

And yet Alucard was way too direct a reference to vampires. :newyears:

Have you come across any issues editing the text, yet? Not only in regards to text-itself, but in the gameplay as well, as the Fire Emblem community has a habit of using tools which end up corrupting parts of the ROM that ought not be touched, or otherwise causing undesired side-effects. It would be quite a dampener for you to put a bit more effort in to the project, only to discover some problem down the line that seems unfixable.

Actually, the idea for "blood-sucking" came from that whole debate. :P

It's not just vampires, Alucard is simply too silly a pop culture reference. Even the origin of the name is a bit goofy. Also there's not enough evidence to suggest that's what was intended in the first place.

AAAAAAANYWAAAAAAY, I haven't really come across any major issues. I mentioned before, but FEditor occasionally duplicates edited indexes nearby. This is what caused the problem with Rutger/Clarine's conversation a few pages back, and it's also caused some character names to get mixed around. Shanna had the name Juno for example and Erik became Ruud before I fixed them. It's annoying and basically requires constant testing to monitor it, but it hasn't caused any game-ending problems. The game'll just need to tested thoroughly once I get a bit farther.

Edited by gringe