FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, gringe said:

There is an apparent mistake in the base game I've noticed while playtesting the latest version of the patch. I believe I can "correct" this easily in FEBuilder, but I haven't decided what to do, so I want to gather some opinions to see if there is a consensus for this kind of thing. (Note that what I decide may ultimately not be what the popular opinion is. I just want to know if there is a consensus.)

The elder of Arcadia as seen in chapter 14/14x and at the end of the game use different NPC graphics. The one used in chapter 14/14x is a unique palette swap of the old man used nowhere else in the game (if I'm not mistaken), while the one in the epilogue is the generic color of old man you see in every other house. The dialogue suggests they are the same person which makes me believe this is an error.

f4iMcrP.pngfjzA0W2.png

What would you think if I were to "correct" the end game elder to be the same color he is in chapter 14/14x?

I would say so. I definitely think that might deserves a fix to be corrected.

I had also interpreted him as being the same guy, so I see why you'd change it; however, I think I'd leave something like this alone.  It may be a mistake, but there is precedent for leaving mistakes alone in remasters/remakes.  I'm thinking of the Nosferatu-killing-Duma thing from Echoes, which I understand to have been a glitch in Gaiden that they intentionally left in the remake.

Framed another way:  Have you made other similar changes to correct errors?  I know that some things have been added or changed to bring the game more in line with its GBA successors, but this is a little different.  It's a slightly different approach, even if it is a minor one.

That said, swapping out this image is clearly minor, so I doubt there would be much pushback either way.  But, if you're looking for opinions, I would prefer to err on the side of leaving the original thing intact.

FE6 Localization Patch v1.1br6

Barring any major issues, the patch should now be feature complete! I will leave this in the wild for a little while so people can test and potentially report any issues before I declare it complete.

Download here
Apply to a Japanese FE6 ROM with a UPS patcher such as NUPS
*If you don't know how to patch a ROM, please kindly Google it.

Testers Wanted! Please Report Any Issues!
Please let us know any issues you run into in this topic! Please also spread the word to anyone who may be interested in helping!

The game should be playable from beginning to end, but let us know if you encounter any issues!

Changelist

• The Link Arena is now complete! Yes, we finally did it! And by we I mean tabachanker, so big ups. We have not tested an actual multiplayer round, but on the surface it looks good. Do let me know if you try the Link Arena (???) and have any issues.
  • Updates to the support conversation reader! Affinity label added for each support partner, characters listed in "official" order, and other minor tweaks. I'm really happy with the way it looks and works.
  • A number of behind the scenes bugfixes
  • Numerous text edits
    1. Corrections to text pointed out in the above posts
    2. Did you know "Wade" was written as "Ward" in the latest FEH character poll? That's the latest localization of his name now, so his name has been updated to "Ward" in the patch.
    3. Incorrect usage of "sire" in reference to superior officers corrected based on context. ("Sire" is a word to be used with royalty, but was previously used in reference to Legance, Narcian, Murdock, and Nord.)
    4. Other small edits of text that stood out to me in my latest playthrough, including decreasing the enthusiasm of villagers who now use less exclamation points and removing most usages of the word "wench" (it now only appears once in the script, down from three times).
  • As it doesn't really impact gameplay and isn't a "fun" error, I decided to "correct" the Arcadia elder in the epilogue to use the same palette he has in chapter 14/14x

Something interessts me about Supports. According to faerghast's Supportanalysis on Yoder from a few years ago, there seem to be a few inaccuracies in the fantranslation in his supports with Saul and Niime. I cannot confirm this because I do not speak japanese myself, so I wanted to throw it into here in case you might want to doublecheck.(Specifically regarding his support with Saul, Saul appearently is supposed to say "Aestetics" instead of "Ethics" when stating his reason for not following Roy around in their B-support. 

Also an aside, I know we have been through with this topic already some time ago, but there is something regarding the name of Idunn's weapon. I looked at the wiki and according to the japanese names, her weapon in heroes is not supposed to be her weapon from FE6.(Maryū no buresu vs. Yami no Buresu, with the second one being localised as "Dark Breath" by heroes).

18 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

Something interessts me about Supports. According to faerghast's Supportanalysis on Yoder from a few years ago, there seem to be a few inaccuracies in the fantranslation in his supports with Saul and Niime. I cannot confirm this because I do not speak japanese myself, so I wanted to throw it into here in case you might want to doublecheck.(Specifically regarding his support with Saul, Saul appearently is supposed to say "Aestetics" instead of "Ethics" when stating his reason for not following Roy around in their B-support. 

Also an aside, I know we have been through with this topic already some time ago, but there is something regarding the name of Idunn's weapon. I looked at the wiki and according to the japanese names, her weapon in heroes is not supposed to be her weapon from FE6.(Maryū no buresu vs. Yami no Buresu, with the second one being localised as "Dark Breath" by heroes).

Interesting point regarding Yoder's supports. I will compare the current English scripts against the Japanese ones to see if anything stands out as inaccurate to me.

Also, you are right about Idunn. This is actually a good thing as far as I'm concerned because Dark Breath looked much better in the UI. I will correct this.

There is also a small bit of text in the Link Arena to correct, so it looks like there are a couple small edits to make. I will put out a new version in the next few days once I have a chance to check the support conversation accuracy.

A minor question that just came to my mind just now: Would it be outside of the scope of the translationpatch to properly apply the unused boss-palettes?(Damas, Ruud, Slater, Erik, Dory and debias have palettes that are set to their promoted classes, despite them all being unpromoted. Looking at the way the Knight-palettes do not apply to generals correctly, it is clearly unintended) I didn't find any prior debate about it in the thread.

2 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

A minor question that just came to my mind just now: Would it be outside of the scope of the translationpatch to properly apply the unused boss-palettes?(Damas, Ruud, Slater, Erik, Dory and debias have palettes that are set to their promoted classes, despite them all being unpromoted. Looking at the way the Knight-palettes do not apply to generals correctly, it is clearly unintended) I didn't find any prior debate about it in the thread.

I was not even aware of this. I guess it could be a fun bonus if I can get it working, but I've never tried changing a pallet. I'll look into it and think about it.

If it's only these bosses, however, the thought that comes to my mind is they intended to have unique pallets for each boss, but only got partway through before they decided not to, and disabled them in a very simple way. If that's the case I think I would rather not do this.

4 hours ago, gringe said:

If it's only these bosses, however, the thought that comes to my mind is they intended to have unique pallets for each boss, but only got partway through before they decided not to, and disabled them in a very simple way. If that's the case I think I would rather not do this.

Palettes are set in the characterdata. If their intention was to just disable the Palettes, they would have nulled the setting instead of shifting the value somewhere else.

22 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

Palettes are set in the characterdata. If their intention was to just disable the Palettes, they would have nulled the setting instead of shifting the value somewhere else.

Maybe. I don't think any of us can say for certain what their intentions 20 years ago may have been. Maybe it was a mistake, or maybe it was cut partway through and with their tools it was faster to change the palette to another class rather than nullify it.

I'll look into it in either case.

EDIT: So, after looking into it, I can say all the bosses in the "Lycia arc" (except Wagner) have palettes, but bosses beyond that, other than the Wyvern Generals and Roartz (and Zinque for some reason), do not. I have a headcanon that the dev team may have found it slightly jarring to go from entirely unique palettes for bosses to generic ones partway through, and also didn't have time to make custom palettes for everyone. Currently, all the "big bosses" in the story (and Zinque--maybe he was intended to have a bigger role originally) have unique palettes while no one else does, so this seems like a mostly logical pattern to keep. With all this in mind it's somewhat outside of the scope of this patch to implement the existing palettes for early bosses.

Edited by gringe
Additional info

FE6 Localization Patch v1.1br7

Just a very small update to br6 up above with some text changes!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ke6kofigh4xr7o1/FE6Localization_v1.1br7.ups/file
Apply to a Japanese FE6 ROM with a UPS patcher such as NUPS
*If you don't know how to patch a ROM, please kindly Google it.

Testers Wanted! Please Report Any Issues!
Please let us know any issues you run into in this topic! Please also spread the word to anyone who may be interested in helping!

The game should be playable from beginning to end, but let us know if you encounter any issues!

Changelist

• Text edits
    1. Overflowing Link Arena warning message when trying to remove all weapons from a unit correct
    2. Idunn's "weapon" has been corrected to "Dark breath"
    3. Minor correction to Saul and Yoder's B rank support, in which Saul previously said that stalking Roy was against his ethics, when in fact he said it goes against his aesthetic tastes. It's not a huge change to his character, but the implication goes from seeming to use the church as a shield to him just feeling personally strongly about something he doesn't want to do. Additionally a reference to Saul from Yoder as a "model priest" was adjusted, as Yoder clearly knows he's not, and the Japanese was just something along the lines of "that is excellent."
Edited by gringe

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it seemed weird to me and I'll share anyway.  I am playing the newest version, 1.1br7, and I don't remember having noticed this in previous playthroughs.

In Chapter 4, there are the two forts in the bottom-right of the map that spawn Pirates at some point.  For whatever reason, the left Pirate spawns one square to the left of the fort instead of on top of the fort.  This happens for both of the first two spawns, but I'll just show screens from the first.  (and apologies again for poor images. this has been the main downside of playing on a 3DS).

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_unblocked.jpg.77be6686781461c313edc4e314305724.jpg

This also happens if you try to block the fort with Shanna: the guy still spawns to the left; however, if you put Shanna on the spot where the dude spawns, then it actually blocks it.

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_Shanna.jpg.72aa10a5c109c09ba83fffe42d4d1ac7.jpg

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_Shanna_blocked.jpg.f76a1e9e7b5f4e15f0afffdf1a38801d.jpg

Anyway, I don't know if this guy has always spawned like this, or if the recent update quirked it up.  It doesn't affect much since these guys have to trek across the sea for a few turns to attack, and there probably isn't anyone in range of being attacked when they spawn, but still.

Thanks again for all of your work on this over the years!

5 hours ago, Boatinater said:

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it seemed weird to me and I'll share anyway.  I am playing the newest version, 1.1br7, and I don't remember having noticed this in previous playthroughs.

In Chapter 4, there are the two forts in the bottom-right of the map that spawn Pirates at some point.  For whatever reason, the left Pirate spawns one square to the left of the fort instead of on top of the fort.  This happens for both of the first two spawns, but I'll just show screens from the first.  (and apologies again for poor images. this has been the main downside of playing on a 3DS).

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_unblocked.jpg.77be6686781461c313edc4e314305724.jpg

This also happens if you try to block the fort with Shanna: the guy still spawns to the left; however, if you put Shanna on the spot where the dude spawns, then it actually blocks it.

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_Shanna.jpg.72aa10a5c109c09ba83fffe42d4d1ac7.jpg

FE6_C4_PirateSpawn_Shanna_blocked.jpg.f76a1e9e7b5f4e15f0afffdf1a38801d.jpg

Anyway, I don't know if this guy has always spawned like this, or if the recent update quirked it up.  It doesn't affect much since these guys have to trek across the sea for a few turns to attack, and there probably isn't anyone in range of being attacked when they spawn, but still.

Thanks again for all of your work on this over the years!

This is actually one of many, probably unintentional, quirks in the original Japanese version of the game. You've stumbled upon one of the more obscure/hard to notice ones. Since changing this would directly affect gameplay (if only slightly), changing it is outside of the scope of this patch.

Other such quirks include a single Knight in chapter 6 not being assigned "chase" AI causing him to stay behind as his fellow soldiers chase after the player characters, Galle and his squad refusing to attack anybody despite his clear intentions to do so from his dialogue, Klein occasionally not moving on his first turn after appearing, different levels/weapon levels for Gonzalez on different routes, hard mode bonuses not applying to characters who exist when the chapter begins, etc.

In any case, thanks for pointing it out just in case and thanks for playing the patch. 🙂

2 hours ago, gringe said:

Galle and his squad refusing to attack anybody despite his clear intentions to do so from his dialogue

I know it probably was unintentional but my headcanon is that he couldn't bring himself to actually hurt Melady so he just surrounds your units to make it look as if he were fighting and then allows himself to be killed. Though he does still fight back if you attack him, which kinda puts a few holes in that theory

11 hours ago, gringe said:

This is actually one of many, probably unintentional, quirks in the original Japanese version of the game. You've stumbled upon one of the more obscure/hard to notice ones. Since changing this would directly affect gameplay (if only slightly), changing it is outside of the scope of this patch.

Other such quirks include a single Knight in chapter 6 not being assigned "chase" AI causing him to stay behind as his fellow soldiers chase after the player characters, Galle and his squad refusing to attack anybody despite his clear intentions to do so from his dialogue, Klein occasionally not moving on his first turn after appearing, different levels/weapon levels for Gonzalez on different routes, hard mode bonuses not applying to characters who exist when the chapter begins, etc.

In any case, thanks for pointing it out just in case and thanks for playing the patch. 🙂

Haha, thanks for the clarification! I remember having seen the Klein one but haven't noticed the others yet. One of the many things that add up to give FE6 its unique personality, I guess. 🙂

Hi, first of all thank you for this patch. I haven't encountered any bugs or glitches.

Here are some suggestions I hope you find useful.

Chapter2

1.Guard: "constant surveillance." under constant watch or guard, would sound better

2.Elen: "we were captured,imprisoned." maybe just captured or imprisoned

3.Dieck: "enough chitchat." enough small talk

4.Elen: referring to Guinivere as "your highness" while the fact that she is a princess is supposed to be a secret maybe switch to my lady or milady

5.Roy: "Princess Guinivere from Bern?"  of Bern

6.Roy: "you are of high status" you are highborn

Chapter3

7.Narcian: "should you fail, I personally will order" I will order, or I will see to it

Chapter4

8.Erik: "My nation has never been anything but a burden" instead of nation just The League or Lycia

9.Erik: "we need some backup. take some troops" take your troops or take your squad

Chapter5

10.Saul: "Bern's head church" The Church of Bern 

Chapter6

11.Narration says that Thria is south-east while on the map its not enough to the south just east would be fine 

12.Narration: "Quiet rest for his troops." quiet rest for his army

13.Cath: "The north hall has all the valuables, but with that security" those guards

14.Cath: "time to pilfer what i can now that security is busy" the guards are busy

15.Sue: "you aren't with the castle" you aren't with Wagner

16.Wagner: "useless guards" useless dolts

17.Roy: "here in a battlefield" here on a battlefield

Chapter7

18.Roy: "General Cecilia was my teacher" tutor or instructor

Chapter8x

19.Narration: "with Bern coming full force" with Bern bringing its full might, bringing their army

20.Lilina: "Exactly. He is my ancestor." our ancestor, Blazing Blade established both Hector and Eliwood as Roland's descendants 

21.Roy: "Wow... That sword has quite the story to it" just without the wow maybe hmm or something

Chapter9

22.Narration: "Roy and company brace themselves for further attacks" instead of Roy and company The Lycian Army

23.Narration: "presently, they are colonies of Etruria." subjects instead of colonies, I didn't find anything pointing to Etruria colonizing the isles

24.Narration:" inevitably, varied bands of rogues traveled there hoping to loot the mines"  various instead of varied, and looting the wealth instead of mines

25.Cecilia: "did you hear of the tragedy that occurred in Etruria last year?"
Roy: "Prince Myrddin, next in line to be king, abruptly passed away last year." just one mention of last year

26.Cecilia: "but I'm sorry, I didn't have the clout to prevent this..." influence instead of clout

27.village/silver sword: "we can't fight against them like the resistance force" just a "can" at the end of the sentence

28.Scott: "the outlook isn't good" "it doesn't look" good he is pirate after all i think it would fit better

29.Sin: "we were no equal for Bern" we were no equal to Bern

30.village left: "the only people here are women and children. All the workers have been taken north to the mines." all the men instead of workers

Chapter10A
31.Narration:"all of these islands are rich in minerals" without all of

Chapter10B
32.Narration: "the local lord oppresses the resistance" fights instead of oppresses or suppresses the resistance

33.Guard: "he's apparently in hiding in the nearby village" he is apparently hiding in the nearby village

34.Zinque: "I apologize for the wait, madam Melady" lady instead of madam

35.village/orion's bolt: "We civilians have to deal with the consequences of their actions" we villagers

36.Gonzalez: "there is village near mountain" in route B its a different village and he is already in it or just at the entrance

37.Souther cavalier reinforcements are called "Bandit" aren't these supposed to be Etrurians like Klein who also appears from the south, the bandits come from the north

Chapter11A

38.Roy: "even if doing so means souring our relationship with Etruria..." relations instead of relationship , or alliance

39.Melady: "you are not a Bern native" native of Bern

Chapter11B

40.Bartre: "en garde" "come at me" he says that to Karla in Blazing Blade (support) and it fits his character better

41. high nobility when describing Arcardo, just nobility would be fine

Chapter12

42.Narration:"high nobility" again just nobility would be fine

Chapter13

43.Roy: "whats the latest?" Any news

44.Guinivere: "my brother..." just "brother..."

45.Guinevere: "let me free, Melady" let me go

Chapter14

46.Randy: "my sword is unmatchable" unmatched

Chapter15

47.Soldier: "Commander Raith, i have an update on the girl we captured" news instead of update

48.village/hammerne: "wield it wisely" use it wisely seeing as you can't equip a staff

Chapter16

Soldier: "head Wyvern general Murdock is here" without the "head"

Chapter18Illia

49.villager: "they say hes on a level all his own" in a league of his own

Chapter18Illia and 19or20Sacae

50.Niime: "I live in the mountains where i study arcane magic." elder instead of arcane or just magic or just the arcane

51.Niime: "I wield dark magic" again "elder" Canas points it out in Blazing Blade and Niime is his mother so she thought him

52. Roartz and Arcardo are referred to as revolutionaries, and that what they are doing is a revolution. I thought that rebel and rebellion were more appropriate so here is a list of all the places it was mentioned.

Chapter12

Soldier: "a revolution has broke out in Aquileia, capital of Etruria.The ones leading the revolution are high chancellor Roartz and lord Arcardo."

Soldier: "They are with the revolutionaries against their will because the king was taken hostage."

Chapter13

Narration: "she also forms a loyalist group to combat the revolutionaries.The revolutionaries, however, have Bern on their side."

"King Mordred has also been taken hostage giving the revolutionaries another edge:"

"With so much power, the revolutionaries easily push the loyalists out of Etruria"

"Roy learns that Cecilia has been forced back by the revolutionaries"

"the loyalists are under attack by both the revolutionaries and Bern's military"

soldier also mentions revolutionaries

Chapter15

Narration: "now, they turn toward Etruria to confront the revolutionary forces"

Narration: "if she falls into the hands of the revolutionaries or Bern"

Chapter16

Narration: "the revolutionary forces are fortified in Aquileia"

"turning popular opinion against the revolutionaries, forcing them inside the castle"

Yoder also mentions revolutionaries four times

Chapter16x

Narration: revolutionaries

Chapter17Illia

Narration: Revolutionaries twice

Chapter17Sacae

Narration: Revolutionaries, Revolution

edit:numbers

Edited by That's So Raven

4 hours ago, That's So Raven said:

Hi, first of all thank you for this patch. I haven't encountered any bugs or glitches.

Here are some suggestions I hope you find useful.

Chapter2

1.Guard: "constant surveillance." under constant watch or guard, would sound better

2.Elen: "we were captured,imprisoned." maybe just captured or imprisoned

3.Dieck: "enough chitchat." enough small talk

4.Elen: referring to Guinivere as "your highness" while the fact that she is a princess is supposed to be a secret maybe switch to my lady or milady

5.Roy: "Princess Guinivere from Bern?"  of Bern

6.Roy: "you are of high status" you are highborn

Chapter3

7.Narcian: "should you fail, I personally will order" I will order, or I will see to it

Chapter4

8.Erik: "My nation has never been anything but a burden" instead of nation just The League or Lycia

9.Erik: "we need some backup. take some troops" take your troops or take your squad

Chapter5

10.Saul: "Bern's head church" The Church of Bern 

Chapter6

11.Narration says that Thria is south-east while on the map its not enough to the south just east would be fine 

12.Narration: "Quiet rest for his troops." quiet rest for his army

13.Cath: "The north hall has all the valuables, but with that security" those guards

14.Cath: "time to pilfer what i can now that security is busy" the guards are busy

15.Sue: "you aren't with the castle" you aren't with Wagner

16.Wagner: "useless guards" useless dolts

17.Roy: "here in a battlefield" here on a battlefield

Chapter7

18.Roy: "General Cecilia was my teacher" tutor or instructor

Chapter8x

19.Narration: "with Bern coming full force" with Bern bringing its full might, bringing their army

20.Lilina: "Exactly. He is my ancestor." our ancestor, Blazing Blade established both Hector and Eliwood as Roland's descendants 

21.Roy: "Wow... That sword has quite the story to it" just without the wow maybe hmm or something

Chapter9

22.Narration: "Roy and company brace themselves for further attacks" instead of Roy and company The Lycian Army

23.Narration: "presently, they are colonies of Etruria." subjects instead of colonies, I didn't find anything pointing to Etruria colonizing the isles

24.Narration:" inevitably, varied bands of rogues traveled there hoping to loot the mines"  various instead of varied, and looting the wealth instead of mines

25.Cecilia: "did you hear of the tragedy that occurred in Etruria last year?"
Roy: "Prince Myrddin, next in line to be king, abruptly passed away last year." just one mention of last year

26.Cecilia: "but I'm sorry, I didn't have the clout to prevent this..." influence instead of clout

27.village/silver sword: "we can't fight against them like the resistance force" just a "can" at the end of the sentence

28.Scott: "the outlook isn't good" "it doesn't look" good he is pirate after all i think it would fit better

29.Sin: "we were no equal for Bern" we were no equal to Bern

30.village left: "the only people here are women and children. All the workers have been taken north to the mines." all the men instead of workers

Chapter10A
31.Narration:"all of these islands are rich in minerals" without all of

Chapter10B
32.Narration: "the local lord oppresses the resistance" fights instead of oppresses or suppresses the resistance

33.Guard: "he's apparently in hiding in the nearby village" he is apparently hiding in the nearby village

34.Zinque: "I apologize for the wait, madam Melady" lady instead of madam

35.village/orion's bolt: "We civilians have to deal with the consequences of their actions" we villagers

36.Gonzalez: "there is village near mountain" in route B its a different village and he is already in it or just at the entrance

37.Souther cavalier reinforcements are called "Bandit" aren't these supposed to be Etrurians like Klein who also appears from the south, the bandits come from the north

Chapter11A

38.Roy: "even if doing so means souring our relationship with Etruria..." relations instead of relationship , or alliance

39.Melady: "you are not a Bern native" native of Bern

Chapter11B

40.Bartre: "en garde" "come at me" he says that to Karla in Blazing Blade (support) and it fits his character better

41. high nobility when describing Arcardo, just nobility would be fine

Chapter12

42.Narration:"high nobility" again just nobility would be fine

Chapter13

43.Roy: "whats the latest?" Any news

44.Guinivere: "my brother..." just "brother..."

45.Guinevere: "let me free, Melady" let me go

Chapter14

46.Randy: "my sword is unmatchable" unmatched

Chapter15

47.Soldier: "Commander Raith, i have an update on the girl we captured" news instead of update

48.village/hammerne: "wield it wisely" use it wisely seeing as you can't equip a staff

Chapter16

Soldier: "head Wyvern general Murdock is here" without the "head"

Chapter18Illia

49.villager: "they say hes on a level all his own" in a league of his own

Chapter18Illia and 19or20Sacae

50.Niime: "I live in the mountains where i study arcane magic." elder instead of arcane or just magic or just the arcane

51.Niime: "I wield dark magic" again "elder" Canas points it out in Blazing Blade and Niime is his mother so she thought him

52. Roartz and Arcardo are referred to as revolutionaries, and that what they are doing is a revolution. I thought that rebel and rebellion were more appropriate so here is a list of all the places it was mentioned.

Chapter12

Soldier: "a revolution has broke out in Aquileia, capital of Etruria.The ones leading the revolution are high chancellor Roartz and lord Arcardo."

Soldier: "They are with the revolutionaries against their will because the king was taken hostage."

Chapter13

Narration: "she also forms a loyalist group to combat the revolutionaries.The revolutionaries, however, have Bern on their side."

"King Mordred has also been taken hostage giving the revolutionaries another edge:"

"With so much power, the revolutionaries easily push the loyalists out of Etruria"

"Roy learns that Cecilia has been forced back by the revolutionaries"

"the loyalists are under attack by both the revolutionaries and Bern's military"

soldier also mentions revolutionaries

Chapter15

Narration: "now, they turn toward Etruria to confront the revolutionary forces"

Narration: "if she falls into the hands of the revolutionaries or Bern"

Chapter16

Narration: "the revolutionary forces are fortified in Aquileia"

"turning popular opinion against the revolutionaries, forcing them inside the castle"

Yoder also mentions revolutionaries four times

Chapter16x

Narration: revolutionaries

Chapter17Illia

Narration: Revolutionaries twice

Chapter17Sacae

Narration: Revolutionaries, Revolution

edit:numbers

Wow, that's a lot of suggestions! I'm not sure about implementing so many minor text edits at this stage but I do appreciate the time you took. I'll certainly consider whether any of these warrant another version.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Before I go on, I just want to say that I greatly appreciate your work here and I've really enjoyed playing FE6 several times thanks to you. Anyways, I'm not sure if I've commented this previously over here but it's an idea that is always floating on my mind in regard to this game.

When you get to consider this patch as finalized, and (possiblly) go back to apply the balance changes seen in your previous "numbers patch", I feel like you could change Roy to promote when receiving the Fire Emblem from Guinivre (around chapter 18 I think it was?).
I have implemented it several times in custom patches that I've done to your normal translation (using FEBuilder) but I always get absorbed into trying to balance and re-balance the rest of the cast, weapons, etc. over and over again, only to not be satisfied by my progress and start from scratch again.

Uh, I went on a tangent there. Anyways, I feel like it would be a good idea to have Roy promote at that point in the story, assuming you wanted to keep it somewhat tied to the plot and not just implement an extra item to promote him whenever like in FE7. It would be a good excuse to use the passing of the Fire Emblem to promote him.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, MegaMarkLM said:

Hello! Before I go on, I just want to say that I greatly appreciate your work here and I've really enjoyed playing FE6 several times thanks to you. Anyways, I'm not sure if I've commented this previously over here but it's an idea that is always floating on my mind in regard to this game.

When you get to consider this patch as finalized, and (possiblly) go back to apply the balance changes seen in your previous "numbers patch", I feel like you could change Roy to promote when receiving the Fire Emblem from Guinivre (around chapter 18 I think it was?).
I have implemented it several times in custom patches that I've done to your normal translation (using FEBuilder) but I always get absorbed into trying to balance and re-balance the rest of the cast, weapons, etc. over and over again, only to not be satisfied by my progress and start from scratch again.

Uh, I went on a tangent there. Anyways, I feel like it would be a good idea to have Roy promote at that point in the story, assuming you wanted to keep it somewhat tied to the plot and not just implement an extra item to promote him whenever like in FE7. It would be a good excuse to use the passing of the Fire Emblem to promote him.

Hey, thanks for the comments. Right now I'm just focused on getting the localization patch to a "final" state (just waiting another week or two to see if there are any more error reports at this point), but after that I might want to make a new version of the ol' Numbers Patch. I think I could get it done in a day or so in FEBuilder. Having played through the game a couple times without anything like that again, I just can't help but feel that characters like Wolt, Bors, Lot and Ward deserve just a little bit more, and it kind of bums me out when I use them in place of the usual suspects like Alance, Rutger, Dieck, Shanna, etc. With such a huge cast, more worthwhile characters would give the game higher replayability. It does to me personally in any case.

Having Roy promote earlier is a tough one--his late promotion is clearly something many people don't like about FE6, but Roy is wielding the Binding Blade in his map sprite after promoting, so it feels a little unconvincing to have him promote before he gets it. I think a more "immersive" compromise may be to increase his bases or growths slightly so he's not quite so bad in the chapters leading up to his promotion. Then again, Roy being bad in the mid-late game is arguably an intrinsic part of FE6, so I don't know if I'd personally want to change that.

5 minutes ago, gringe said:

Hey, thanks for the comments. Right now I'm just focused on getting the localization patch to a "final" state (just waiting another week or two to see if there are any more error reports at this point), but after that I might want to make a new version of the ol' Numbers Patch. I think I could get it done in a day or so in FEBuilder. Having played through the game a couple times without anything like that again, I just can't help but feel that characters like Wolt, Bors, Lot and Ward deserve just a little bit more, and it kind of bums me out when I use them in place of the usual suspects like Alance, Rutger, Dieck, Shanna, etc. With such a huge cast, more worthwhile characters would give the game higher replayability. It does to me personally in any case.

Having Roy promote earlier is a tough one--his late promotion is clearly something many people don't like about FE6, but Roy is wielding the Binding Blade in his map sprite after promoting, so it feels a little unconvincing to have him promote before he gets it. I think a more "immersive" compromise may be to increase his bases or growths slightly so he's not quite so bad in the chapters leading up to his promotion. Then again, Roy being bad in the mid-late game is arguably an intrinsic part of FE6, so I don't know if I'd personally want to change that.

While we're on the subject of Roy promoting earlier, I was thinking maybe a (somewhat) lore-friendly way of making that happen would be to move the location of the Shrine of Seals from southern Bern to maybe somewhere in eastern Etruria. Then Roy and the gang could stop there on their way to either Ilia or Sacae, and Roy promotes and gets the Binding Blade. But since the Binding Blade is so powerful in the base game it wouldn't be good to give it to the player that early, so I'd say nerf it really hard, and explain it by saying the sword hasn't unlocked its true potential yet, and then they restore its full potential (to its base game stats) after 21/21x. It would be similar to how Three Houses gives you the Sword of the Creator early on but you don't get its full power until later in the game.

14 hours ago, cluesagi said:

I was thinking maybe a (somewhat) lore-friendly way of making that happen would be to move the location of the Shrine of Seals from southern Bern to maybe somewhere in eastern Etruria.

That is like the most lore-unfriendly way to do it in my eyes xD It would be less insane to just arbitrarily set his promotionpoint to be before he optains the blade.

58 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

That is like the most lore-unfriendly way to do it in my eyes xD It would be less insane to just arbitrarily set his promotionpoint to be before he optains the blade.

Is there any story-related reason why it needs to be where it currently is? Other than the Fire Emblem being "Bern's treasure". I haven't finished FE7 yet so if it has some significance in that game I'm not aware of it.

Anyway I realize it's not exactly feasible considering all the stuff that would need to change to accomodate it, I was just throwing an idea out there

On 2/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, cluesagi said:

Is there any story-related reason why it needs to be where it currently is? Other than the Fire Emblem being "Bern's treasure". I haven't finished FE7 yet so if it has some significance in that game I'm not aware of it.

Lore reasons, plays a part in the whole Bern part of the story in Blazing Blade, Eliwood, Hector and Lyn have to retrieve it, important part of Zephiel's backstory.

In Binding Blade, Guinivere's reason for leaving Bern and trying to prevent the war as in using it as a deterrent.

So yeah the amount of rewriting to make your idea is a bit too much, considering this is supposed to be a translation.

No changes have been made since 1.1br7, but I am going ahead and declaring it complete by changing its name to v1.1! Enjoy~

And do continue to feel free to point out issues if you have any.