FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

If we're doing map graphics though then I guess "League of Lycia" should be changed to "Lycian League" and "Ereb" changed to "Elibe."

KadGOg7.png

imo leaving "The League of Lycia" alone would be acceptable it's pretty much the same thing and a fairly excusable minor variation, as opposed to something completely out there, but oh well

i'll gladly make the elibe change too, but i don't suppose someone could extract for me a copy of the zoomed-in version of the "THE DARK CONTINENT EREB" placard? i don't think it's actually shown in full in the zoomed-in state at any point in the game and even if it was i admit i don't have a stockpile of save states for each chapter to bounce between to find what i need :(

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that! No rush or anything, so whenever you can do Elibe is fine.

Here's a short progress report. Lots of screenies today though.

Arcardo is another fun character to write dialogue for. He's just such a shameless coward.

n4WgaFF.png

QvrBM5M.png

GjvjECU.png

KJ1ksoV.png

FapANVg.png

RMwrOZG.png

MaDvSSE.png

0QRH5Qk.png

tZtAhNh.png

Raigh's recruitment was an interesting case... He can be recruited with either Lugh or Chad and then talked to with the other upon recruitment, but his conversation remained the same. That is, he still asked about the orphanage and was "convinced" to join the army even though he had already been told about the orphanage and was already in the army. These recruitment and post-recruitment conversations were even in different indices, making this really a bit inexcusable. As such, I just edited the post-recruitment conversations a tiny bit to have them make more sense.

First, Lugh recruiting Raigh...

cXnFeE2.png

A1Mk63Q.png

JezCMQP.png

3KVbozF.png

DhYo7mn.png

Fx4ghJ4.png

[screenshot missing, but Raigh tells Chad he heard about the orphanage being burned down]

UWmMRb9.png

fCPQvTk.png

PTe4WXS.png

5SaKN0o.png

And now, Chad recruiting Raigh...

L22zsGO.png

ZF1117w.png

rqIAJye.png

TCg5a4v.png

cXnFeE2.png

bMsrdDB.png

And "human not human" is a bit cumbersome, so I changed it to the simpler "unhuman."

y4TnO4H.png

And "human not human" is a bit cumbersome, so I changed it to the simpler "unhuman."

Hey, that's not a bad choice.

I was wondering if anybody would ever think of a better alternative.

It kind of reminds me of "parentless" or "subhuman" in FE9/10.

It's a good translation, but it doesn't really fit in English.

I think "unhuman" captures it fine. The phrase is meant to suggest a "human" who isn't exactly a "human", right? Well, "unhuman" has that through its use of "human" and "un".

Although I suppose I'm looking at it through the perspective of somebody who knows the phrase. If somebody else saw "unhuman" they might just think it means something along the line of "monster" and nothing more.

Edited by VincentASM

It's not as if one couldn't attempt to capture the sense of human-not-human with other words, however, such as perhaps "shadow of a human" or a "transeunt form" or something like. For me, the suggestion touches on the kind of surreality one experiences when seeing things from the uncanny valley. A sense that triggers distrust and apprehension, perhaps fear, but which has no ground other than noticing a quite-but-not-quite resemblance to the familiar.

I'm inclined to agree with Celice on this one, though unhuman certainly isn't bad either. Personally, I would just have it as...

"Bard Man: They say a human not a human (or perhaps "a human that isn't") is here.

"Roy: .......Huh?

"Bard Man: Well, that's how it was described to me anyways".

Edited by FionordeQuester

I don't think "human not human" is a good translation. It's an overly literal and long approximation of 人ならぬ人 (basically, "person that isn't a person"). I think "unhuman" captures it fine. I AM open to other ideas than "unhuman" but I don't like any of the suggestions I've seen so far.

EDIT: "Human that isn't" is okay, but I still prefer "unhuman" personally.

EDIT2: I can SORT of see the "mystique" of something like "human not human" but since it's explained exactly what it is in the next paragraph after it's first mentioned, I don't think any confusion would arise.

"There is an unhuman in the castle."

"What's that?"

"A human who changes into a dragon."

Paraphrased, obviously, but...

Edited by gringe

i do agree with the idea of replacing "human not human", but imo "unhuman" doesn't quite convey the same impression, if mostly because the similar word "inhuman" usually carries a somewhat different context and that's what "unhuman" brings to mind first. it's a reasonable option, sure, and it's not that big a deal either way but i feel there's room for improvement. perhaps something like "manbeast" may be viable in its place? probably not an optimal option either but eh

i do agree with the idea of replacing "human not human", but imo "unhuman" doesn't quite convey the same impression, if mostly because the similar word "inhuman" usually carries a somewhat different context and that's what "unhuman" brings to mind first. it's a reasonable option, sure, and it's not that big a deal either way but i feel there's room for improvement. perhaps something like "manbeast" may be viable in its place? probably not an optimal option either but eh

Without knowing the original text, I can't be sure, but it sounds more like it's an eerieness being conveyed, more than a commentary on a beastliness.

Edited by Celice

It's just 人ならぬ人. There isn't really more to it than that. I still think "unhuman" is fine for fulfilling that purpose. The possible inference of "inhuman" isn't even particularly inaccurate in-context.

Without knowing the original text, I can't be sure, but it sounds more like it's an eerieness being conveyed, more than a commentary on a beastliness.

the original passage in Japanese is as follows:

[エルフィン]

ロイ様 城に入るまえに 少し

町で おかしなうわさを耳にしました

城に 『人ならぬ人がいる』らしいと

[ロイ]

どういう意味だろう?

[エルフィン]

伝説にうたわれし『竜』

そのような生き物にかわるとか・・・

[ロイ]

!! 人が?

竜になるというのか!?

while i do like the idea of eeriness being conveyed, that doesn't appear to be the case; Elphin pretty much says the term is solely concerned with the "unhuman" actually being a dragon

i guess it's not that big a deal and "unhuman" is fine

Actually, now that I think of it, I actually kind of like "unhuman" now. Has sort of a beastly, feral vibe to it, you know?

But, before I post more of what I localized, I want to know, is this the right place for it? I figured a place like this would be good considering there's people here actually interested in that stuff, but on the other hand, this IS kind of Gringe's show, right? Don't want to be too derailing, you know what I mean?

EDIT: And, just to be clear, me and Gringe are not partners. I'm doing this purely as a journey of self-improvement.

You really should make your own thread for that.

1. It's not polite to advertise your own work in someone else's thread.

2. It does indeed derail the thread from its original purpose.

3. It needs it own topic or this thread will become split with some people talking about your updates VS those talking about Gringe's updates.

Oh really? Good to know, I thought something might've been wrong when nobody even said anything. That tends to happen when someone doesn't know how to politely tell someone to not be an idiot :sweatdrop: !

I randomly came up with "a person who isn't human". 8U; It's not as Engrishy as "human not human", but it sounded alright in my head. I mean, a "person" isn't always human, right? I dunno if this helps with coming up with ideas. "OTL

"Finished" (IE written and tested once) up to chapter 13! Given that gaiden chapters have so little dialogue, I may have passed the halfway point in main story text. I'm not really sure, though.

In any case, screenies!

Oh, such glee! My two favorite shit-eating villains in one scene!

t6XZ7E7.png

x5p98Oy.png

7JFc2DT.png

x3QJGPn.png

LfDJ4ZS.png

Ptbs5Kn.png

WikFuD4.png

There's a small line in the Japanese version here that was actually omitted from the original translation. Zephiel says that Guinivere is his only relative, not just his only sister.

XFX1H98.png

h5vERFx.png

TLY4E5b.png

wmWyuyY.png

z9ZrxVh.png

92f3xF9.png

DLtRUo5.png

lD55hxH.png

alMGVUi.png

Z9f4czK.png

HVI7xKM.png

wucC8TD.png