FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I think I got a few chapter names that I came up that might work out, I think I got:

• The Late Arrival -> Arrived at Late (?) (I can't come up a better title name on this one yet?)
  • The Trap/Traps? -> It's a Trap (?) (I can't come up a better title name on this one yet?)
  • The Blazing Sword (definitely need to be keep since its used Blazing Sword in FE7 and the official website)
  • The Real Enemy -> The True Enemy
  • Rescue Mission -> The Mission of Rescuing
  • The Silencing Darkness -> The Shadow Silence
  • Beyond the Darkness -> Beyond the Shadows
Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, there is one change I could recommend based on my script so far. "Resistance Forces" has been made into "Resistance Force" and occasionally "Resistance" so either of the latter two would be fine.

EDIT: Oh, and "Axe of Lightning" to "Thunder Axe". Also, is Forblaze called "Infernal Element" in FE7? It seems a tad strange to me. The Wiki says it's called "Infernal Element" or "Scorching Reason", so whichever's in FE7. If both are, then I guess it's fine as is.

Edited by gringe

Going through the script I think "Silencing Darkness" is a pretty silly name to dub the APOCALYPSE of all things. I actually think something like "The Dark Rift" or "Dark Vortex" are better descriptors, but I guess that's a bridge to be crossed later. Chapter 6 should probably be something like "Trapped". Personally, I think the "The" prefix on many of the chapter titles not referencing people is somewhat superfluous and repetitive as well. Overall I guess the chapter names need to be punchier and more dramatic.

Other suggestions I can think of immediately are:

10A: The Western Resistance

11A: Clashing Ideals

11B: Flight Towards Freedom

16: Storming the Capital

17A: Ocean's Parting

• The Blazing Sword (definitely need to be keep since its used Blazing Sword in FE7 and the official website)

er... yeah, about that...

Athos:

You must get to the blazing blade as soon as possible

Georg's description:

An ancient spirit who guards the Blazing Blade.

Athos:

The sword of sacred fire was made to combat dragons. With so much power, who can say what it might be capable of?

i don't know about the website, but the phrase "blazing sword" actually does not appear at all in the entire English script of FE7, let alone in reference to Durandal. the only appellations given to the sword by the English version are "blazing blade" and "sword of sacred fire". i've no idea how this fandom got to the point of universally thinking it's "blazing sword", and it's actually not a big deal at all, but damn if this doesn't really bug me i have serious opinions on silly names in silly games okay

at this point it's kind of a tossup between the two titles - on one hand, "Blazing Blade" is shorter and the more obvious choice, but on the other hand it's crippled by sounding a bit too much like "Binding Blade". "Sword of Sacred Fire" doesn't have that problem but is also a tad too long for my liking

hm i'll think about it some more

that's what i was thinking, too; i'm actually surprised it's not already "True" in the patch

• The Trap/Traps? -> It's a Trap (?) (I can't come up a better title name on this one yet?)

i was thinking of doing that too, but that's also a chapter name in FE8. obviously that doesn't matter in the slightest and i can just call this one by the same name anyway, but idk. a more literal translation of the Japanese name is "The Trap is Sprung", but i'm not sure about that either. another possibility i was thinking of was deviating a bit and just calling it "The Thrian Trap" or something

watch as thinking/talking about this turns into vergil 2.0 i've always wanted to be responsible for RIDICULOUS FANDOM DRAMA

• The Late Arrival -> Arrived at Late (?) (I can't come up a better title name on this one yet?)

i can't even comment on these ones without being an asshole so

(though you do have a point in that "late arrival" is a pretty annoying one to try and devise alternatives for)

...whoa i took too long on this okay other posts

Oh, there is one change I could recommend based on my script so far. "Resistance Forces" has been made into "Resistance Force" and occasionally "Resistance" so either of the latter two would be fine.

EDIT: Oh, and "Axe of Lightning" to "Thunder Axe". Also, is Forblaze called "Infernal Element" in FE7? It seems a tad strange to me. The Wiki says it's called "Infernal Element" or "Scorching Reason", so whichever's in FE7. If both are, then I guess it's fine as is.

Forblaze doesn't get referred to by its appellation in the English version of FE7 at all. it does in the Japanese version:

ネルガル

【業火の理】

フォルブレイズ・・・か。

さすがだな、

大賢者アトスよ。

but the equivalent English passage goes like so:

Nergal:

The purest fire Flame breath. Very impressive, Archsage Athos.

maybe you could construe "Purest Fire" as a title for it, but eh not so keen on it. that said, i think i've settled on one already

see, hidden away unused in FE7's data is the entire script for the FE6 data transfer function, which obviously isn't relevant to the English release. in this script is translations for all the FE6 chapter names, but much as you'd expect from unused content most of them are kinda shit (for example, "The Space Between" for "Caught in the Middle"). anyway, it proposes "Hellfire's Truth" as the translation for the Forblaze chapter's name, which i actually quite like, so i may just go with that

and no i'm not going to just fall back on every single one of them, just ones that strike me as good/superior options (which probably won't be that many)

Going through the script I think "Silencing Darkness" is a pretty silly name to dub the APOCALYPSE of all things. I actually think something like "The Dark Rift" or "Dark Vortex" are better descriptors, but I guess that's a bridge to be crossed later. Chapter 6 should probably be something like "Trapped". Personally, I think the "The" prefix on many of the chapter titles not referencing people is somewhat superfluous and repetitive as well. Overall I guess the chapter names need to be punchier and more dramatic.

Other suggestions I can think of immediately are:

10A: The Western Resistance

11A: Clashing Ideals

11B: Flight Towards Freedom

16: Storming the Capital

17A: Ocean's Parting

i'm not sure what to do about the Apocalypse chapter yet. as for the others, i like all these suggestions... well, except "Ocean's Parting", but that's only because i'm pretty fond of "The Path Through the Ocean"

as for the use of the, i'm making no hard and fast rules here; if it feels like one should be used, i'm using it

Edited by bookofholsety

To me, the Path through the Ocean was just such a mouthful that I had to find some way to shorten it. It's not a sea chapter so I wanted something that emphasized the water receding. As for chapters starting with "The", the ones that bother me the most are the ones in the latter half of the game to be honest. "Pinnacle of Light", "Frozen River" and "Bitter Cold" sound much better without being prefixed. I agree it's a case-by-case basis but currently it's way overboard.

As for Late Arrival, I can't think of much else except changing the title outright to emphasize Hector's death. Something like "Beyond Help" maybe?

Edited by Samias

How about Icicle Spear? But that's also an attack name from Pokemon so I not sure whether you should use it or not.

Also, Apocalypse should be Revealing Darkness not Silencing Darkness because Apocalypse means Revelation.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

To me, the Path through the Ocean was just such a mouthful that I had to find some way to shorten it. It's not a sea chapter so I wanted something that emphasized the water receding. As for chapters starting with "The", the ones that bother me the most are the ones in the latter half of the game to be honest. "Pinnacle of Light", "Frozen River" and "Bitter Cold" sound much better without being prefixed. I agree it's a case-by-case basis but currently it's way overboard.

As for Late Arrival, I can't think of much else except changing the title outright to emphasize Hector's death. Something like "Beyond Help" maybe?

a) i can see where you're coming from with that, yeah, and actually you do have a point in terms of it overstating the chapter's contents. before i first played the Ilia route, i saw the name in scripts and walkthroughs, and i'll freely admit i just automatically assumed it was something more dramatic in terms of the ocean parting. like, Book of Exodus levels of ocean parting. i can't say i was totally pleased to eventually find that wasn't the case. even so, i guess i'm still a bit attached to the name, but the more i think about it the more i like your proposed alternative

b) in hindsight i definitely see what you mean, but at the same time i find there's a lot of cases where just cutting the "the" makes it sound downright awkward, the biggest offenders being "(The) Neverending Dream" and "(The) Ghosts of Bern". i definitely agree about Bitter Cold, though; i was kinda disappointed to find it had a "the" tacked on in the patch, since no other source has it there

c) tentatively speaking, i really like the "Beyond Help" suggestion, or something to that effect. honestly for some reason anything involving the word "late" is pretty awkward to make work satisfactorily, but one idea that just came to mind: the chapter's Japanese name is more literally "The Latecomer", so perhaps a viable possibility is to combine with that something more descriptive, like "Latecomer's Sorrow" (at finding Hector's already been skewered)? idk

How about Icicle Spear?

no thanks Barigan isn't a Skill Link Cloyster :P

Also, what are your thoughts on Revealing Darkness for Apocalypse since that's what Apocalypse means. The Darkness part can be changed but some form of 'reveal' should be kept.

no thanks Barigan isn't a Skill Link Cloyster :P

It's cool name though. :P

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

whoops sorry missed the edit damn my tendency to take forever to talk

a) i'm very okay with it, and as it turns out that's exactly what the Japanese epithet/chapter name (黙示の闇) actually is, appropriately enough also matching the standard(?) Japanese name of the Book of Revelation (ヨハネの黙示録). consider it done, though exactly how it'll be worded is still up in the air ("Dark Revelation" or "Elder Revelation", maybe?)

b) if someone brings me fanart of Barigan with a Cloyster for a head i may consider it. :P but seriously, i don't think so. on one hand i do like how it at the very least nods to the fact that spears and icicles have a fairly similar shape, but on the other hand, to me "icicle" just doesn't carry much of a connotation of strength as far as icy phenomena go (compare the likes of "blazing", "inferno", "gale", all words for fire or wind or whatever which give a strong impression of raw power. or something)

er... yeah, about that...

i don't know about the website, but the phrase "blazing sword" actually does not appear at all in the entire English script of FE7, let alone in reference to Durandal. the only appellations given to the sword by the English version are "blazing blade" and "sword of sacred fire". i've no idea how this fandom got to the point of universally thinking it's "blazing sword", and it's actually not a big deal at all, but damn if this doesn't really bug me i have serious opinions on silly names in silly games okay

Oh really, I could have sworn that I thought its "Blazing Sword". (where did Athos called the Durandal as "Blazing Blade" at?)

i was thinking of doing that too, but that's also a chapter name in FE8. obviously that doesn't matter in the slightest and i can just call this one by the same name anyway, but idk. a more literal translation of the Japanese name is "The Trap is Sprung", but i'm not sure about that either. another possibility i was thinking of was deviating a bit and just calling it "The Thrian Trap" or something

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that name was used in FE8.

Edited by King Marth 64

3: Late Arrival > Latecomer's Sorrow

4: Collapse of the Alliance > Broken at Last

5: Fire Emblem > The Fire Emblem

6: Traps > Ensnared

7: The Rebellion at Ostia > Insurrection

10(b): Caught in the Middle > Fight to Survive

11(b): Escape to Freedom > The Great Emancipation

12: The True Enemy > The True Nightmare

12x: The Axe of Lightning > The Axe of Thunder

17(a): The Path Through the Ocean > From Sea to Shining Sea

18(a): The Frozen River > The Snow God's Blessing

19(a): A Bitter Cold > A Fell Wind

20x(a): The Spear of Ice and Snow > Skalid/Ull's Glaive (both of these Norse deities represented snow and ice, although Skalid was a woman.

17(b): The Bishop's Teaching > Crawling Darkness (seriously, what exactly does Yodel "teach" here? May as well just change the name to reflect the actual mmap, a Fog of War fight in Sacae.

19(b): Battle in Bulgar > The Battle of Bulgar

21: Sword of Seals > The Binding Blade

21x: The Silencing Darkness > Dirge of the Reaper

22: The Neverending Dream > Eternal Madness (Or "The Neverending Nightmare", or "The Eternal Nightmare", or whatever sounds the best. Point is, I figured the Chapter title ought to reflect Zephiel's state of mind since this Chapter is very much focused around him.)

23: The Shadow of Bern > The Remnants of Bern

24: The Truth Behind the Legend > An Unwelcome Truth

Final: Beyond the Darkness > Picking Up the Pieces (Because, you know, Idoun's fractured soul and all that...boy that was sad :(...

Edited by FionordeQuester

we interrupt the chapter name festivities to bring you something new

i just wrapped up transcribing the opening sequence (albeit with some help) and doing a relatively rough preliminary translation thereof

[spoiler=Japanese]

かつて 神がまだ

より人の近くにいた時代

神に祝福されし英雄が

人の存亡と未来をかけ

戦った世界

そこには

光を導く剣

闇よりいずるものたち

そして

炎を宿す

尊き紋章があった。。。

幾多の時間

幾多の空をこえて

語りつがれる

「炎の紋章」の物語

[spoiler=English rough pass]

In an age long past, when

men and the divine were alike...

Blessed heroes rose up and

fought for the future survival

of mankind in this world...

In the hands of man,

a sword of guiding light...

Challenging what comes from darkness...

Then, too, there

was the sacred emblem

in which fire dwelt...

Countless eras have passed since,

here and under other skies...(*)

And the Fire Emblem's tale

has passed into legend.

(*) yeah this is pretty ehh wasn't too sure what to do with it i mean "beyond many skies"?

this... isn't exactly what i was expecting the opening to be talking about i mean damn i know the Fire Emblem is an important item and all but i'm pretty sure this is a really exaggerated take on its importance

I think I got a few chapter names that I came up that might work out, I think I got:

• Beyond the Darkness -> Beyond the Shadows
out of all of them only "the true enemy" is actually any better, "arrived at late" and "the mission of rescuing" are the most pointlessly engrishy title's i've ever seen ever

shadow silence sounds terrible and completely unprofessional, beyond the shadows is alright but i see no issue with beyond the darkness

and it's a trap is just a terrible chapter name, i'd recommend something like "trapped" or smth idk

6: Traps > Wagner's Snare

This sounds like some sort of symphony

7: The Rebellion at Ostia > The Ostian Occupation

This sounds like Ostia is doing the occupying??

8: Reunion > Taking Back the Union
8x: The Blazing Sword > The Sword of Sacred Fire (as it was called in the Fire Emblem 7 script)
9: The Misty Isles > The Islands of Mist

This just sounds stupid. It's perfectly acceptable to call a place the Misty Isles

Chapter 7 makes sense as "Ostia Rebels" or leaving it as-is, as it is the nation of Ostia rising up. Yes, Ostia is occupied, but the main theme of the chapter is the rebellion of the Ostian forces. Likewise, Chapter 8 "Reunion" should probably be left alone. "Taking Back the Union" is not what the chapter is about. It is literally a reunion between Roy and Lilina. The reformation of the alliance is discussed more at the beginning of chapter 9. However, I think the Chapter 4 change is a step in the right direction. Maybe something a little more edgy like "Shattered Alliance". I'm not completely against "Collapse of the Alliance" as it makes sense, though.

Misty Isles should probably be left as-is. It's an island of fog. Making it more wordy isn't really going to help things.

tumblr_ms6dwiWSgg1qhx4jao1_250.png

okay i've started chipping away at actually inserting the damn things and it hasn't exploded in my face yet; i consider this a victory

quick side note though @gringe: i know you said you're done with the whole namey thing, but there's one name error you still need to correct for consistency with FE7

1HIUKFF.png

her English name is actually Igrene; she was mentioned in FE7:

Louise: I thought you could give this to Igrene...
Hawkeye: This is... a fine bow.
Louise: Isn’t it? I was rather taken with it. So I bought one for myself and one for Igrene... Look, they are a matched pair!
Hawkeye: I thank you... My daughter will be pleased.
Louise: It must be dull staying home. I would like her to have something nice. She is all alone, without her father... It must be lonely. You should return to her soon. She is still just a child.

on a more technical note i've also observed an odd sound effect error in the last patch release, with Elphin's singing animation: for some reason, near the end of it the bird chirp sound doesn't play and the music cuts off. i've no idea what could be causing it, but it's something to keep in mind to get sorted out later

out of all of them only "the true enemy" is actually any better, "arrived at late" and "the mission of rescuing" are the most pointlessly engrishy title's i've ever seen ever

shadow silence sounds terrible and completely unprofessional, beyond the shadows is alright but i see no issue with beyond the darkness

and it's a trap is just a terrible chapter name, i'd recommend something like "trapped" or smth idk

Well, I wasn't too sure about the rest, but what about "The Latecomer have Arrived" or "Arriving Really Late", "Caught in a Trap" (I just found that in Wikipedia that I think this might work out with avoiding my other idea for Chapter 5 that is part of FE8's chapter name), "Rescuing the Prisoners" or "The Prison Rescue", and "The Silence Shadows" or "The Shadow of Silence" be better?

Edited by King Marth 64

i like "A Late Arrival" and maybe something more dynamic like "Ensnared" or something (maybe just go for a generic "Trapped"?) personally

wrt apocalypse maybe take some liberties with the japanese name and call it "The Shadows of Revelation" or something idk

on a more technical note i've also observed an odd sound effect error in the last patch release, with Elphin's singing animation: for some reason, near the end of it the bird chirp sound doesn't play and the music cuts off. i've no idea what could be causing it, but it's something to keep in mind to get sorted out later

i would blame feditor, there's some autopatch or other that messes with battle animations and i'd put money on that being the cause Edited by CT075

I like "Shadows of Revelation".

It's also a bit like how NOA localised "Dark Dragon" as "Shadow Dragon".

Maybe we should have had "Shadow Emperor" in FE12... Nah, I think we discussed that and concluded it sounded stupid.

EDIT

No offense, FionordeQuester, but IMHO your chapter titles are just awful (minus Chapter 21 for obvious reasons), even if they were for a brand new game. Props for trying though ^^;;;

That said, I do think Chapter 19 should be "Battle of Bulgar".

Edited by VincentASM

@Apocalypse:

tumblr_ms6jlufSpn1qhx4jao1_250.png

it's a bit of a tossup between using "elder" or "dark", and the main reason i went with "elder" despite it definitely sounding vaguer and more of a stretch is as a nod to Canas talking about how dark magic is a misnomer as far as Elibe is concerned

as i said earlier, surprisingly the whole "revelation" thing isn't taking liberties at all since that's exactly what the Japanese version says; the original translators either didn't notice it in the first place, or didn't care. their loss, really