FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

If you're insistent on keeping to what's been officially translated, why is Rutger being kept over Rutoga? Oh right, because it sounds better...

SSB localisers aren't the same as the FE localisers.

If they were the same, there wouldn't be so many FE10 localisation errors in SSBB.

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why are we calling it Binding Blade? I thought it was only translated that way in SSBM.

Awakening uses that translation too IIRC

Just checked, Awakening does use the "Binding Blade" translation.

Edited by shinpichu

Just checking, you guys have changed her name from Fa to Fae, right? Because she's called Fae in FE7

Of course.

SSB localisers aren't the same as the FE localisers.

If they were the same, there wouldn't be so many FE10 localisation errors in SSBB.

Nail, head, etc.

Though if, for example, Rutoga appears in FE14 then I guess it'll be changed.

Then why are we calling it Binding Blade? I thought it was only translated that way in SSBM.

As said, it was used in Awakening, and at least one or two other sources.

The "Sword of Sacred Fire" was also used in FE7, but I didn't see anyone really liking that. So what's the verdict on that then?

If it's blatantly used in the game as the sword's title and not just as a description then I'd be fine with it.

I don't think many things are 100% final IT MUST BE THIS WAY so if there are inconsistencies as it is you don't need to worry.

Edited by gringe

I don't think many things are 100% final IT MUST BE THIS WAY so if there are inconsistencies as it is you don't need to worry.

Athos:

Durandal. The sword of sacred fire.

Lyn:

Durandal, the sword of sacred fire. …It’s strange, isn’t it? I’ve never seen it before, and yet it feels so familiar…

Athos:

The sword of sacred fire was made to combat dragons. With so much power, who can say what it might be capable of? But this ice dragon… Surely…

I'd say that's pretty clear, don't you think?

So then where did "blazing sword" come from originally? Was it in the FE7 script somewhere or was it just a fan translation?

By the way, unrelated, but I just finished fixing up the last of the supports! Still need to insert them and the chapter graphics but I'm pretty pumped.

Japanese does stupid things with o's and what not so the way they romanise names like that is messed up yes. But the words themselves aren't like, entirely different. The word used is sword, not blade. I think that's probably relevant enough. I mean there should probably be a difference between the two if one is Ken and the other is Tsurugi, right? Isn't Tsurugi like...a more...flowery way to say it? My friend's best comparison is using an archaic word like "gloaming" instead of just saying "twilight" or "dusk".

Edited by Irysa

I don't think I'll be so specific with weapon titles. It's apparent that FE7 wasnt, so I don't care if Blazing Blade or Blazing Sword or Blazing Boner is the chapter title. The characters can still call it the "sword of sacred fire" or whatever else in dialogue. This goes for all weapons

Blazing Boner

please do this

Japanese does stupid things with o's and what not so the way they romanise names like that is messed up yes. But the words themselves aren't like, entirely different. The word used is sword, not blade. I think that's probably relevant enough. I mean there should probably be a difference between the two if one is Ken and the other is Tsurugi, right? Isn't Tsurugi like...a more...flowery way to say it? My friend's best comparison is using an archaic word like "gloaming" instead of just saying "twilight" or "dusk".

i guess i didn't really respond particularly aptly and went straight for the joke response; sorry

the way i see it, if we were talking about translating the game in an alternate reality in which FE7 was never translated either, it'd definitely be something to consider. imo you're right, in that it's foolish to completely discount what Japanese material has to say with this sort of thing (no matter how fun it is to make fun of its weirder romanizations), and indeed sometimes it suggests things that make a lot more sense than whatever the fandom at large goes with (my favourite example re the FE5 final boss: compare the NoJ romanization "Veld" with the fan translation's "Berdo". the latter is pretty inferior to the former)

problem is, as it stands we live in a world in which we do have English-language source material and an English-language precedent, and in cases like these the English source material should arguably be prioritised. just as we wouldn't go back to calling Pent "Pant" or Zephiel "Zephyr", nor should we discount English terminology for things like this. of course said English terminology being inconsistent like this throws a wrench in the works, but not a particularly big one

i guess i'm in favour of "Blazing Blade" and "Thunder Axe" solely because, unlike "sword of sacred fire" or "thunder hammer", they get the Important Capitalised Treatment when they show up in Georg and Kaim's help descriptions:

Text of ID 0x0210

An ancient spirit who[.]

guards the Blazing Blade.[.][X]

Text of ID 0x0211

An ancient spirit who[.]

guards the Thunder Axe.[.][X]

(seriously why the hell are we arguing over something as simple as "blazing blade" can't we argue over some of my more esoteric ideas)

That is actually precisely why I don't want them to go together. They have different words being used in japanese for a reason...

In english, Binding Blade flows much better than "Sword of Seals" and saying "Sealed Sword" is sort of inaccurate since the Sword itself is a seal and sealer. If Blade is going with the Binding Blade then put Sword on Durandal.

You're explictly avoiding the "of" / "no" part when those are present in the Japanese text for chapters like "The Binding Blade", "The Tempest Bow", "The Blizzard Spear" (which i have no problem with, but bear with me). There's no "the" obviously but we add "The's" precisely because Japanese doesn't do it, and it adds to the grandoise nature. If we're sticking with this, for consistency's sake it makes more sense to just have "The Blazing Sword" and "The Thunder Axe". Keep all the Divine Weapons in the same format, it looks messy otherwise.

If we were going by pure blank slate localisation I can sort of respect the old translation's attempt to sort of maintain a bit of consistency there, but it probably would have been better if they kept the no/of parts for everything, ie: The Sword of Flames, The Axe of Thunder, The Spear of Ice, The Bow of (the) Winds, The Sword of Seals, etc.

But I digress, just stick with one and keep it the same for consistency.

Edited by Irysa

they get the Important Capitalised Treatment when they show up in Georg and Kaim's help descriptions:

Oh. Well then, why don't we use what the game uses?

On that note if you haven't already done so, it'd be nice if the divine weapons' descriptions were like those of the sacred weapons in FE8. I mean something like, for example, Maltet: "The lance of ice and snow. Skl + 5"

Oh. Well then, why don't we use what the game uses?

that's exactly what i've been advocating all along and exactly what "blazing blade" and "thunder axe" are

On that note if you haven't already done so, it'd be nice if the divine weapons' descriptions were like those of the sacred weapons in FE8. I mean something like, for example, Maltet: "The lance of ice and snow. Skl + 5"

that's actually how it was in the Japanese version of FE6 and i kinda shat some out when i was bored

Durandal: "Roland's blazing blade. Str +5."

Armads: "Durban's thunder axe. Def +5."

Maltet: "Barigan's blizzard spear. Skl +5."

Murgleis: "Hanon's tempest bow. Spd +5."

Forblaze: "Athos's infernal truth. Luck +5."

Aureola: "Elimine's glorious ascension. Res +5."

Apocalypse: "Bramimond's elder revelation. Mag +5."

Binding Blade: "Hartmut's sword. Def/Res +5."

Eckesachs: "Zephiel only. Strikes from afar."

still not sure what the parameters for description text string length are (FE8 left me under the impression that it can be adjusted as necessary to accommodate), but if anything i'm foreseeing only the tomes being a problem (in which case we wimp out like FE8 did and "Athos's fire tome", "Elimine's light tome", "Bramimond's elder tome")

That is actually precisely why I don't want them to go together. They have different words being used in japanese for a reason...

I don't think it's that confusing though. They're both "BB" but they're different words and the item names themselves are still very different.

By the way, speaking of legendary weapons, just as an idea of sorts, what would people think of Apocalypse being spelled "Apocalipse"? It's apparently Middle English. Old-timey names like this are often used in FE instead of a more straightforward one, so I thought it might be interesting without going so far as to change the name itself.

Edited by gringe

I can see some unscholared people getting confused and thinking it's a typo ^^

You could probably afford to change the other legendaries without that issue, since none of them are common names.

I don't think it's that confusing though. They're both "BB" but they're different words and the item names themselves are still very different.

It's not about it being confusing. It's about reflecting the original's intent to not use the same word. We can't really call it a "broadsword" or "longsword" because that's too long, but between Blade and Sword we have words to cover both seperately.