FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

oh, definitely. i think by now it's very well documented how they're the furthest thing from reliable or infallible, producing bastardised horseshit like "siglud", "delmud" and "corpul". even so, sometimes they hit upon something that's not bad at all (celice comes to mind)

Ah, I see whatchya did there. Heh heh...oh well, just posting my thoughts on that whole name debate thing. I guess what I wonder about is what you think of the way some people are going to miss stuff like "Jahn" actually still being pronounced as "Yawn", and how to pronounce some of the more foreign sounding names. Like, I know YOU know how they work because you're educated enough to know, and I know how to pronounce the names, because I'm the kind of guy who's willing to look up a pronunciation guide...but not everyone's going to have those qualities, especially if they're, say, the typical 13-18 consumer (so basically people that are still young enough to think "Whoa, I'd love to have Tharja as a girlfriend").

So, as a translator and localizer, what's your priorities as far as that goes? Like, if we have stuff like "Eckesachs vs. Exaccus", where the former is technically correct, but the latter is more natural for uneducated English speakers to pronounce... what's the attitude on that? Is is basically "well, I know some people might struggle with those details, but, that's still their proper name. I feel like I'd be dumbing down the script or treating my audience like morons if I go with 'Corple' instead?" Just out of curiosity.

Edited by FionordeQuester

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess that from my perspective, it does a huge disservice to the audience to assume that they're idiots with regard to anything, but particularly with pronunciation. as an example of this, fe14's localisation so far has a pattern of shortening hoshido names to with this sort of intent, and on one hand i can understand WHY they felt it was necessary (particularly in the case of tsubaki -> subaki). but really, at this point japanese words/names are everywhere, even outside otaku-ish animu and japanese game circles (which at this point is pretty obviously fe14's key demographic). besides, japanese words are inherently easy as shit to pronounce, so the only problems with the names changed so far is... being four syllables long each. not to mention fe14 has the distinct advantage of making use of voice acting. if people don't know how to pronounce a japanese name, the game itself can clarify!

in my experience, the average consumer of a work won't get too hung up on pronunciation issues if they're unfamiliar with a name. you don't have to look much further than hermione from harry potter as an example of this; her name's a rare one and far from intuitive to pronounce, to the point that rowling actually had to slip a lesson on how to pronounce it into goblet of fire! but in the long run it didn't matter in the slightest; each reader sort of patched together their own way of pronouncing it*, moved on and kept reading. having a difficult-to-pronounce name given to one character changed absolutely nothing about the audience's ability to engage with the harry potter series

the same's been true of fire emblem for years; we've always had weird names that aren't the most obvious to pronounce (hell, i only learned a year ago that i'd been mispronouncing "ephraim" for nearly a decade!) but it hasn't affected anyone at all. we've all looked at neimi and ephraim and lethe and, yes, even tharja, filled in the blanks with a pronunciation that makes sense to us, and moved on. the only difference with something like cairpre is that it's positioned as a "change" to a name that's been used for years and years, kinda like the shitstorm that surrounded caeda when fe11 hit. if his name had been correctly translated from the beginning, i suspect we wouldn't be having this discussion. thanks for that, noj :P

* when i was like six or seven, i thought it was pronounced to the effect of "hermy-own". one of my friends went with "her-moyne". quite a lot of variety

Huh, interesting, especially that point about Hermione's name. I never had trouble pronouncing it, but then, I watched the movies before ever reading the books, so that anecdote never occurred to me. Thank you so much for answering in such a respectful and thoughtful way. I know it can't always be easy since you've gotten so many questions on that already. Not always easy being in the limelight I imagine :/:.

true, the hermione example isn't really relevant these days and hasn't been since 2001 thanks to the films, but hey, i partially grew up in the dark days before the films happened. i had a whole two or three years' worth of flailing around with respect to hermione, aside from the fact that i didn't do too much flailing :P

Edited by bookofholsety

Hmm...here's an error I've spotted in the Epilogue Gringe. Here you go...

fe6_187.png

Basically, his Epilogue text is blank. Now yes, I realize that that's not supposed to be Wolt's sprite, but this is from a Something Awful LP where the rest of the endings worked fine in-spite of extensive sprite editing to the rest of the characters. Just thought I should point this out.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Did he muscle up or something?

To make this post actually useful, I downloaded and used your translation when playing FE6 around nine months ago or so. Nice work. By the way, did anyone notice the default Link Arena high score listings were altered into credits for the old patch? I did. I could take a screenshot if anyone wanted.

fe6_187.png

Basically, his Epilogue text is blank. Now yes, I realize that that's not supposed to be Wolt's sprite, but this is from a Something Awful LP where the rest of the endings worked fine in-spite of extensive sprite editing to the rest of the characters. Just thought I should point this out.

Link to the lp?

You sure the Something Awful LP in particular was using the most recent translation patch along with the portrait replacements? The portraits were the only thing edited, right?

Because Wolt's Epilogue text is still clearly in the game's data and isn't blank. (09D4 in FEditor's text editor)

You sure the Something Awful LP in particular was using the most recent translation patch along with the portrait replacements? The portraits were the only thing edited, right?

Because Wolt's Epilogue text is still clearly in the game's data and isn't blank. (09D4 in FEditor's text editor)

Yeah, I'm positive. There were a few class titles and names here and there that were changed slightly (for example, Milady was renamed to Schwarth, I think partially because Vilkalcis, the LPer, thought "Milady" was an awful name), but other than that, no script edits were made. In fact, Vilkalcis, mentioned that he was still able to find the text in the game files. It's just that it never got displayed. As for the link to the LP, here you go. Do note though that you might want to copy and save the updates, because the site has a pay wall that will eventually come back up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723002&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26

https://www.mediafire.com/?wyiou5buodxz2bo

Link to the patch in case anyone wants it, and the paywall returns.

Speaking of which, if anyone for some reason wants to play my bastardized FE6, apply after the translation. (The new one. I don't know what will blow up if you try to use it with the old one.) It contains... most of the stuff from the thread. Notable things it's lacking "p

Found a minor error while I was messing around in the tutorial.

iWqn0Nx.png

Thanks! I'll fix this when we get around to doing the new version.

fe6_187.png

I believe this was brought up before and I was unable to replicate it. I'm not sure what causes this, but I'll put this on the list of things to stay aware of.

By the way, did anyone notice the default Link Arena high score listings were altered into credits for the old patch? I did. I could take a screenshot if anyone wanted.

This was something I had planned to change with the Link Arena translation but I gave up on it so it's still in there. :P

Edited by gringe

The Patch is very good but i noticed a few grammar problems in the training area at the end if that could be fixed then it would be perfect i'll post a screen shot when i can

Edited by Hirokaski

i played the very first version of this when the word wasn't dastards but bastards Why the pointless censoring ? Alan still says shit when he dies so why not revert to how it was originally? thepatch is awesome by the way.

Edited by Starman

^Uh, did you get the old patch by accident?

rmdvZq9.png

That's Allen's death quote in this patch... (well, I'm on 0.99d or something, but you get the idea.)

i played the very first version of this when the word wasn't dastards but bastards Why the pointless censoring ? Alan still says shit when he dies so why not revert to how it was originally? thepatch is awesome by the way.

false. it's the old patch that used "dastards", not this one. besides the japanese text indicates no language quite like that was used at that point (reading こんな連中, "these guys"). similarly, shit like allen's... er, shit in the old patch is really jarring and out of place, so the real question is, why the pointless profanity?

i played the very first version of this when the word wasn't dastards but bastards Why the pointless censoring ?

Like the other two said, that's from the old patch, but I can tell you exactly why it says dastards. The main hacker of the old patch was a guy named PrinceLeaf, and changed all instances of "bastard" to "dastard" to poke fun at the silly censorship seen in the localized Fire Emblem titles. He planned on changing it back, but he decided to keep it to annoy the sort who would complain about it.

Well, first I would NOT focus on translating individual words. You'll get something much more coherent and natural if you focus on the overall meaning rather than getting caught up with how to translate words or exact sentences. Just have to be careful to also maintain the important stuff.

I'm sad this patch doesn't refer to Wolt as Roy's milk brother (as far as I'm aware). Nobody playing this patch will understand the joke about Rebecca's milk making two shit units.

Well, it's not a big loss. >_>

I think I ask this before but are the supports more faster now or re they still super slow.

Gameplay hasn't been changed so supports still take forever.

Using the most up to date version, Hammer description should probably be adjusted since you adjusted the Rapier one.

Hmm, maybe.

Well, first I would NOT focus on translating individual words. You'll get something much more coherent and natural if you focus on the overall meaning rather than getting caught up with how to translate words or exact sentences. Just have to be careful to also maintain the important stuff.

i know but that's the only thing i want to get changed back either ways i would love to learn to do this