FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did consider implementing the maps based on existing photos and screenshots but ultimately did not because there is not enough information available for us to accurately recreate them. Basically they would become entirely original creations, which is not in line with the spirit of this patch.

Hey, I'm posting here to address the bit from the Ch 6 opening dialogue.

774911751_Ch6Opening.thumb.png.512de9848183e67f3b11ac0fb25caceb.png

According to both the NIWA FE Wiki and the FE Wikia, Orun is actually just Hector's cousin, and not his Half-Brother. When I checked the history tab on both wiki's pages, it confirms that "Half-Brother" is a mistranslation, and "Cousin" is the most accurate. Can you confirm?

3 hours ago, Historia-KQ said:

Hey, I'm posting here to address the bit from the Ch 6 opening dialogue.

774911751_Ch6Opening.thumb.png.512de9848183e67f3b11ac0fb25caceb.png

According to both the NIWA FE Wiki and the FE Wikia, Orun is actually just Hector's cousin, and not his Half-Brother. When I checked the history tab on both wiki's pages, it confirms that "Half-Brother" is a mistranslation, and "Cousin" is the most accurate. Can you confirm?

I gave the Japanese a quick check, and what do you know, you're right. The kanji "従兄弟" is used, which contains "兄弟", the word for "brother", so I can see why it may be an easy mistake for someone who doesn't know the word and doesn't know how to look it up (back when I first started learning Japanese in the early days of the Internet I remember I myself looked up words kanji by kanji by the radical in a kanji dictionary, which is not easy or necessarily accurate).

I will include this on the list of small things to edit in a future update. Maybe once a few more build up, or if I get around to it sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to say thanks to gringe and the original patch creators for this. I don't have the absolute latest version of the patch (probably one from around 2020) but it's been really fun playing through it so far, and I know ROM patches can be quite time-consuming to make, but thanks so much for working on this.

I needed to make an update to the Numbers Patch, so I went ahead and made the two updates to the text (Saint's Staff description now says it "fully restores all allies" and Orun is now Hector's cousin) to the Localization Patch as well.

Version 1.1.2 is available in the first post!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I had a couple of weapon description errors I wanted to point out.

The range for ranged staves in FE6 (barring Saint's Staff) is actually (Magic/2) + 5, but it shows up as just "Mag" in this patch. The Hammer and Armorslayer both say "Effective against infantry." for their descriptions. I know this is how they wrote it in FE7 and FE8 for some reason, but can you change it to say effective against like "armors" or "armored units" instead? Lastly, the Angelic robe says "Increases HP (notice it doesn't say max before HP) by a max of 7 points." Again, I know that's exactly the same as how it's worded in FE7, but can it be changed to say like, "Increases max HP by 7 points." instead?

And then one other nitpick that's not really a nitpick. How bothersome would it be to get all of the characters in that nice, thin font imported? As in, more than just what's necessary to write "Binding Blade" and "Gwendolyn" in that font. Because I notice that weapon names like Swordreaver or Killer ballista still get part of their name overwritten by the weapon icon during battle, and even more so if there's a weapon triangle advantage in play. I'm not saying all the names that long have to be changed to be thin for the public patch, but if you would be able to just throw those characters in there, unused, and let someone like me mess around and change it myself for my own personal mod, I'd be very grateful. And if not, totally understandable.

Regardless, awesome work you've put into the patch! I don't usually obsess over support conversations as an FE player, but the reader here and how you've implemented it to go even on battle preps is amazing.

Edit: "Preparations" was misspelled in the chapter 3 world map story text. It was written as "preprarations," I believe.

Edited by CedAodh
Added information I forgot to include the first time.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:40 AM, CedAodh said:

Hello!

I had a couple of weapon description errors I wanted to point out.

The range for ranged staves in FE6 (barring Saint's Staff) is actually (Magic/2) + 5, but it shows up as just "Mag" in this patch. The Hammer and Armorslayer both say "Effective against infantry." for their descriptions. I know this is how they wrote it in FE7 and FE8 for some reason, but can you change it to say effective against like "armors" or "armored units" instead? Lastly, the Angelic robe says "Increases HP (notice it doesn't say max before HP) by a max of 7 points." Again, I know that's exactly the same as how it's worded in FE7, but can it be changed to say like, "Increases max HP by 7 points." instead?

And then one other nitpick that's not really a nitpick. How bothersome would it be to get all of the characters in that nice, thin font imported? As in, more than just what's necessary to write "Binding Blade" and "Gwendolyn" in that font. Because I notice that weapon names like Swordreaver or Killer ballista still get part of their name overwritten by the weapon icon during battle, and even more so if there's a weapon triangle advantage in play. I'm not saying all the names that long have to be changed to be thin for the public patch, but if you would be able to just throw those characters in there, unused, and let someone like me mess around and change it myself for my own personal mod, I'd be very grateful. And if not, totally understandable.

Regardless, awesome work you've put into the patch! I don't usually obsess over support conversations as an FE player, but the reader here and how you've implemented it to go even on battle preps is amazing.

Edit: "Preparations" was misspelled in the chapter 3 world map story text. It was written as "preprarations," I believe.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regarding descriptions from FE7 and 8 that are a little iffy: we're going for "immersion" in this patch. When compared side by side with FE7 and FE8, does it look like it could've come out around a similar time? Changing these to be more accurate would make them stand out slightly, so it would go against the goals of the patch.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I'll also look into the range display and see how it's shown in the Japanese version. The range is technically based on Mag even if the actual equation is a little more complicated, so I don't think it's entirely incorrect as is, just imprecise.

Regarding the font: it's already kind of pushing it in terms of immersion, but accuracy to official localizations is higher priority. For such immersion reasons I won't implement it across the board, but it's not difficult to edit the font in FE Builder if you want to try. I just exported the letters I wanted to shrink, edited them manually in Paint, then imported them into letter data that is unused in the actual game to Frankenstein a solution--looking at Gwendolyn's name in FE Builder, you will see in the data her name is the lovely "Mwendolyn" because I replaced unused full-width letters. If you replace the actual half-width letters this way, you will effectively replace the font.

I'm glad you're enjoying the support conversation reader! Tabachanker really did an amazing job implementing it. I've always thought FE6 support conversations are undeservedly bashed a lot in comparison to its successors, so hopefully the increased visibility changes some opinions over time.

15 hours ago, gringe said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regarding descriptions from FE7 and 8 that are a little iffy: we're going for "immersion" in this patch. When compared side by side with FE7 and FE8, does it look like it could've come out around a similar time? Changing these to be more accurate would make them stand out slightly, so it would go against the goals of the patch.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I'll also look into the range display and see how it's shown in the Japanese version. The range is technically based on Mag even if the actual equation is a little more complicated, so I don't think it's entirely incorrect as is, just imprecise.

Regarding the font: it's already kind of pushing it in terms of immersion, but accuracy to official localizations is higher priority. For such immersion reasons I won't implement it across the board, but it's not difficult to edit the font in FE Builder if you want to try. I just exported the letters I wanted to shrink, edited them manually in Paint, then imported them into letter data that is unused in the actual game to Frankenstein a solution--looking at Gwendolyn's name in FE Builder, you will see in the data her name is the lovely "Mwendolyn" because I replaced unused full-width letters. If you replace the actual half-width letters this way, you will effectively replace the font.

I'm glad you're enjoying the support conversation reader! Tabachanker really did an amazing job implementing it. I've always thought FE6 support conversations are undeservedly bashed a lot in comparison to its successors, so hopefully the increased visibility changes some opinions over time.

Speaking of typos, I just found another one. This is the dialogue that happens if Sophia is dead at the end of 14x. (I'm doing a draft, and am killing off characters who I'm not using. It's nothing against Sophia!) So, yeah, us instead of use. Also, there's a comma missing in this line from a soldier speaking to Narcian at the beginning of chapter 16. It should be "I'm sorry, General Narcian...". I thought at first it didn't need a comma, because "sorry" wasn't being used for to apologize, but more for an act of politeness. But then I realized it's the same as saying, "Excuse me, General Narcian..." which should get a comma.

Based on how you're doing weapon names like "Hand axe" and not "Hand Axe", as that's how only FE7 does it, I'm guessing FE7 is what you want this to look the most similar to in terms of localization. That being said, the Hammer description in FE7 is "Effective against knights." while only the Armorslayer says, "Effective against infantry.", yet both items are being given the latter description in this patch, instead of what they each get in FE7.

As for the "imprecise" weapon range, I think you should be able to pick how you yourself want to say the range. Do you want to put in the description what the range actually is ((Mag/2) + 5), or just what it's based off of (Mag)? I personally prefer the former, but if the latter feels more correct, then by all means.

This has nothing to do with the patch, but I just really wish IS had done a better job with localized weapon descriptions in games like FE7. Like, there's no flavor text for iron, steel, or silver weapons, and then they give flavor text to the Wo Dao while ignoring talking about an important gameplay effect. That it's locked to the Myrmidon class line and Lyn.

2021-07-16 (10).png

2021-07-17 (5).png

Edited by CedAodh
More typos...

All right, well, these are worth consideration.

Just so you know, the patch is more or less done, so I'm not really actively brushing up the localization at this point. If there is a mistranslation I would certainly want to correct that, but typos of these level on their own don't warrant a new version with the current state of the project. I will list these up for candidates to possibly edit in a future version, but I'll let some time pass before I seriously consider that.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:30 AM, CedAodh said:

Like, there's no flavor text for iron, steel, or silver weapons

I don't think that is really worth mentioning. Because Treehouse wouldn't translate something that doesn't exist in the first place.(Yeah, these flavortexts are actually unique to FE6 for some reason.) But overall, yeah. They really messed up with FE7 to the point where this having so few errors is actually going against the immersion-clause in itself and I don't know if that is funny or sad. 

I’d like to think this is worth fixing. In numerous chapters (I remember seeing this happen in chapters 19B and 22 also) the little “Battleground” pointer thing is flipped horizontally, and so now leaves it without enough room to actually fully display the word.

7BD956E4-E6BA-432F-BF11-BE0E38E8921E.jpeg

7BDC8092-8E6A-48B1-BCD8-393A120F521E.jpeg

On 7/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, CedAodh said:

I’d like to think this is worth fixing. In numerous chapters (I remember seeing this happen in chapters 19B and 22 also) the little “Battleground” pointer thing is flipped horizontally, and so now leaves it without enough room to actually fully display the word.

I don't know if that is already known, but this seems to be a purely codebased-issue(No idea if it is the TAS or something else) that happened in one of the current updates.(Possibly 1.1, which changed the Preparationsscreen.)
The graphic is still the same as version 1.0 and it was fine there. If someone reading this thread finds a fix, mind sharing it publically? I already started a project with the current patch and I did too much already to just bring it over to a fixed version.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, Master X said:

Hello may i ask if the numbers patch is included in this patch?

Nope, this is just the localization with no changes to gameplay/balance.

The numbers patch with this latest localization can be found in one of the links in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There's a typo in Larum & Ogier's B support (more like repeated words). Larum says at some point: Oh, you're the guy who was who was spying on me.

And I finally gotten around to fix the Battleground label displacement on the minimap of the Preparations menu. If anyone's handy with a hex editor, here's how to fix this yourself:

There's a string of 8 bytes at offset $7bc78: 68 00 88 10 68 10 68 00
And another 8 bytes following at offset $7bc80: 62 00 42 00 62 00 42 00

You need to swap those 2 sets of 8 bytes so that it reads, from offset $7bc78 to $7bc87: 62 00 42 00 62 00 42 00 (and then) 68 00 88 10 68 10 68 00.

Very unfortunate mistake on my part there, those bytes are used to display the battleground elements on the minimap. The 1st set of 8 bytes are used the majority of the time. The 2nd set is used only when the city is near the left edge of the minimap. I just inadvertently switched those sets around. 😥

Oh hey, nice! Just came to check in and you've found a fix! I followed your instructions to correct the issue and also went ahead and corrected the text errors that you and CedAodh pointed out to make a new version that I put into the first post.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9nejkex9owaihn8/FE6Localization_v1.1.3.ups/file

The game has crashed during opening. Fatal glitch.

3xntKrG.pngRXKpaCM.pngiWIkQUg.pngl6Rdmlv.pngNEBClEw.png

Nintendo Presents displayed abnormally after the intro title screen ended. I reported this glitch at October 2015, but no screenshots.

Edited by TempestBlade
Mark the date.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:40 PM, TempestBlade said:

The game has crashed during opening. Fatal glitch.

Thank you for the report, but I'm afraid I was not able to replicate either of these.

I watched the opening about 5 times but it never crashed like the video you posted, nor does the opening graphic look weird for me. They are either rare issues or it may be a problem on your end.

I guess I'll just run down the usual troubleshooting list if no one else is having the issues:
- Have you applied the patch to a clean Japanese ROM? (in other words, a ROM that has no other patches applied to it)
- Are you using the latest version of the patch?
- Is your emulator up to date?

If your answer is yes to all of the above, then there is unfortunately not much I can do to help. 😞

14 hours ago, gringe said:

Thank you for the report, but I'm afraid I was not able to replicate either of these.

I watched the opening about 5 times but it never crashed like the video you posted, nor does the opening graphic look weird for me. They are either rare issues or it may be a problem on your end.

I guess I'll just run down the usual troubleshooting list if no one else is having the issues:
- Have you applied the patch to a clean Japanese ROM? (in other words, a ROM that has no other patches applied to it)
- Are you using the latest version of the patch?
- Is your emulator up to date?

If your answer is yes to all of the above, then there is unfortunately not much I can do to help. 😞

The crash and glitch occurs on English patch. I have tested on VBA 1.8.0, No$GBA, and even EZ-FLASH. No problem occurs on original Japanese ROM.

Watch the opening and intro one time, when returned to first screen, then skip the opening next time. And watch the long scene and wait and don't skip. Please test with frame skip.

Edited by TempestBlade

I experienced seemingly random crashes after the class roll and the Nintendo Presents-corruption myself(Though not the crash mid-intro because of the specific steps needed), but I always ignored it and forgot about it, because it seemed surprisingly non-intrusive. However, it's interessting to learn that it appearently only happens when the intro-stuff is skipped(Just tested it again). My best guess is that some memory-related stuff doesn't get cleared correctly upon a skip.

I also tested it on a more accurate emulator now because VBA is pretty old, but the issues persisted.(And no big surprise on that. A bugfree rom should run flawlessly on any feature complete emulator, regardless of relative accuracy.)

Alright, I am returning with some results after investigating the issues. I sadly can't make any definitive statements because I am no hackerman and understand little about code. I think we need some of the more skilled people to look into this.
-Possible issue 1: Weird diffrence in intro-code(Mangled secondary function?)

My first idea for tracking down the issues was to investigate what in the world is actually being run while skipping during the opening, since this seems to be the factor to mess it up. I ended up discovering that some sort of instruction seems to have diffrent values between the versions, so I decided to check out the listed addess in FEBuilder's hexeditor in the hope it leads me anywhere. I ended up at the code that handles the letters in the intro(0x691634). SInce that entire thing got rewritten years ago, I decided to look if anything is amiss. And well, turns out that according to FEBuilder's ASM-function, there was appearently some sort of CPU-instruction that got overwritten and it created some other kind of CPU-instruction in another place. Well, that's possibly no good, who knows what the code actually did before and what it does now? This can't have been intentional, right? So I decided to just revert a decent chunk of that code for some testing and even tho this obviously breaks what fonts are displayed when, it appears to have fixed the corruption of the Nintendo presents-screen. Though that may have just been me getting a false negative due to the corruption being random. 

-Issue 2: Running out of Procspace

The previous trial and error-fest seemed to fix the visual corruption on the first screen(Unconfirmed, as mentioned), but it didn't get rid of the crash in the intro. However, I found something that may get us a lead(And is just a topic in general). So, the way the game displays the intro-text(Which is effectively the same between both versions) kinda sucks, it's just awful. Every letter is its own instance of the relevant Proc(691858, towards the end of the list in FEBuilder) and the game can only load so many active proc-instances at a time. I thought that maybe for some reason the text that crashes the game simply uses too many and made the textstring a single point shorter...and it worked. After doing that, I couldn't get the game to crash again! We are literally off by 1. Now, why this only occurs after the specific steps of watching some other segments and skipping once prior? Well, trying to add a single thing to the used text already crashes without prior setup, so the most likely case is that the text uses the maximum amount of proc-slots available and exactly one somehow gets borked in the process to replicating the crash. 

There are two ways of fixing this. Either fixing this off by 1-thing, or somehow rewriting the way the intro works entirely so it's not spamming Procs like they are candy on a busy halloween. Option 1 is probably way easier, but Option 2 would most likely be better because it would make it more stable as a whole(And would give a solid to translations into other languages that have to cut part of the text because the individual words are longer in said language).

When it comes to the rare crash after classroll that I have experienced in the past, no idea, couldn't even replicate it again. It may be related to these things or not, no idea.