FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Is Support Conversation a new menu bring from The Blazing Blade? If yes, the UI is completely different from FE7. "Success %" and "R: Info: are missing.

FE7 UI here:

Ss_fe07_support_viewer_atl.png

In the same way for FE7, it should be increase to 9-character limit instead of 7-character limit in the Link Arena Team Name.

Edited by TempestBlade

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/29/2021 at 5:02 PM, Rob said:

How do you get supports you've unlocked to show up in the library? Is it possible to unlock them from an imported battery file?

You have to unlock them in a version of the game that has the support log. If you transferred a save from a previous version, you have to view the supports again in-game in order to unlock them in the support log.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, TempestBlade said:

The crash and glitch occurs on English patch. I have tested on VBA 1.8.0, No$GBA, and even EZ-FLASH. No problem occurs on original Japanese ROM.

Watch the opening and intro one time, when returned to first screen, then skip the opening next time. And watch the long scene and wait and don't skip. Please test with frame skip.

Just wanting to clarify these instructions for @gringe and possibly @tabachanker too, because I had trouble parsing them.

To get the crash:

1) watch the intro sequence and the whole class roll.

2) skip the next intro sequence.

3) watch through the cutscene and the third intro sequence.

4) the crash will occur during this third intro sequence.

You can use emulator speed-up to make this less time-consuming, and the crash will still happen. Also, the crash is loud, so turn your sound down.

Knowing tabachanker's talents, this bug will soon be confined to the trash heap of history. ^_^

I did recently played the latest Forging Bond Hero Event that involves the recently added the Binding Blade characters in and it's merely dialogue changes. I did saw Hugh calls his grandmother Niime as "Nana" similar to like Alm calls Mycen as Grandpapa instead of Gramps.

I'm still checking some localize name and changes from the newly The Binding Blade banner to see to use for the patch. I did managed to get Gonzalez from a Grand Hero Battle today.

Edited by King Marth 64

What is funny(or not) is that they appearently localized the Saint's Staff into "Staff of the Saint"...and that doesn't fit into the game length-wise. So the patch is forced to stay slightly inaccurate nomatter what we do. People working on FEH engaging in a little trolling.

Hey @gringe! First off, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work on this localization patch. Super high quality stuff. Also, I know I'm late, but I'd like to thank you for coming back after all those years and implementing all of these cool new features. Great work! I still say Jerrot was a better name than Zealot, but the word of Heroes is law, I suppose.

Anyway, on to the main reason I'm writing this post. This is a bit out of the blue, but I wanted to report an issue that is actually quite old. As in, pre-v1.1b old. The amount of people who will be affected by this can be counted with the fingers of one hand. I myself only discovered it during a certain ironman run, due to a streak of really bizarre luck. For no particular reason, I remembered about this oddity today, and I went ahead and checked if it still exists in the new patch. It does.

https://images2.imgbox.com/d4/ec/8tG7Y6kt_o.png

Marcus's full ending does not display properly. It hangs there for a few seconds, then moves on to the next ending without showing any text. Both FE wikis have a long ending listed for Marcus, and the ending seems to be properly implemented in FEBuilder, so I don't know what the issue could be.

As I said, not too big a deal. Taking the Jeigan to the final chapters is pretty silly, after all. But I figured I might as well report it.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Marcus's full ending does not display properly. It hangs there for a few seconds, then moves on to the next ending without showing any text. Both FE wikis have a long ending listed for Marcus, and the ending seems to be properly implemented in FEBuilder, so I don't know what the issue could be.

What emulator do you use? Because it seems to display just fine for me, so it might possibly be some broken bit of coding that VBA somehow fixes by ignoring(Though that would be strange, it happening in that capacity is not usually a thing that happens).

54 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

What emulator do you use? Because it seems to display just fine for me, so it might possibly be some broken bit of coding that VBA somehow fixes by ignoring(Though that would be strange, it happening in that capacity is not usually a thing that happens).

I used to use VBA, but a while back I switched to mGBA. The glitch appears in both emulators.

Odd that it displays properly for you. If it turns out to be just an issue on my end, that... just makes it even more baffling, seeing how it's persisted through version and emulator changes both. Maybe it's a bizarre problem with the save file. Who knows.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, could you perhaps send me your save file? Then we could check if it's a problem with my save or if you just happen to have a version of VBA where the glitch doesn't happen.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Found an error: Textstring 642 is wrong. It's a duplicate of some other textstring that makes no sense in the context of the action it is a description of(The Talk-command).
The official english equivalent is "Talk to an ally or enemy in an adjacent space."(I don't think this was ever brought up before. I might be forgetting something tho)

(And to respond to the other thing, I sadly don't have a legit savefile. I checked it by simply teleporting to the end of the game with the FEBuilder Debug. So if the issue is savegame-dependant for some reason, that savefile would be a really bad example.)

Addendum:
I compared some strings to the japanese version because something seemed fishy and as it turns out, the names for the Characterslots 81 and 82 are inaccurate. They are both "Bandit" in the patch, even tho 81 is "Western Army" and 82 is "Western Bandit" according to the internet, though both were otherwise translated as "West Isles", so that should be what is used here too. The most minor inaccuracy in the world, but still worth mentioning here imo.(I also don't remember it ever being mentioned here. If it was tho, I guess I'm big dumb) Also, Characterslot 91 is called "Bern", even tho it should be called "Etruria". Oops? Slot 9B is called "Soldier", even tho it should be called "Bandit" or "Brigand". Slot AF is called "Bern", even tho it should be called "Thief".  Slot BC is called "Bern", even tho it's called something diffrent in japanese that doesn't seem to have an english equivalent yet.

Edited by German FE Nino
Found another minor inconsistency/error and don't want to waste space with a new reply.

I downloaded save from GameFAQs. The episode name from the epilogue is omitted in the patch.

Epilogue.png.597051c7e36371047ceabbda41fef80d.png

I did see fully listed screenshots in the vgmuseum.

fe6f-206.png.ede9e6aed3bdcc9e4fc292f9cde15b94.png

Move episode name slightly to the left so make three-digit turn and two-digit hour (10+ hour) in the final result.
Adjusted image by paint.

fe6f-208.png.7cc7465b94b5274c76979f04d4d908fd.png

Ch.: Move 2 pixels to the left
Episode: Move 6 pixels to the left
Turn: Move 2 pixels to the left
Time: Move 2 pixels to the right

Edited by TempestBlade
Add the edited image by paint.

1 hour ago, TempestBlade said:

Adjusted image by paint.

This is actually dreadful from my perspective because I live in a region where the equivalent of the "Ch." would need another space that the current english patch continiently provides as a base.(Aka my responce here is not relevant for this project, but moreso about how the picture gives me personal dread.)  

9 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

This is actually dreadful from my perspective because I live in a region where the equivalent of the "Ch." would need another space that the current english patch continiently provides as a base.(Aka my responce here is not relevant for this project, but moreso about how the picture gives me personal dread.)  

fe6f-208.png.0a478bc6a7b0d29ab873540b1c036510.png

I reedit the image from original screenshot.

Ch.: Move 4 pixels to the left
Number: Move 1 pixel to the left
Name: Move 4 pixels to the left
Turn: No movement
Time: Move 4 pixels to the right

I remember that I was reported about missing butterfly sign from the file in October 2015.

File.png.ebabf2dcbcfba93f55e6539c928969bb.pngFile.png.200b4711e58b98bcfc1f2e86c8f0f96b.png

Edited by TempestBlade
Epilogue butterfly sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh, didn't expect so many posts since the last time I visited! Let me just go through and address some of the reports...

First, with regards to actual hacking, you can think of me as basically the muscle in the operation, spending time in tools on a large volume of technically easy tasks, while tabachanker was the brains who actually has technical knowledge and skill. So other than fixing text and other things that can be done in FEBuilder I can't really address some of the errors brought up here. Unless of course tabachanker or someone else with technical knowledge wants to--though in my opinion the patch is "good enough" that it'd be kind of a luxury to do so. I've beaten the game probably 10+ times without much issue. 😛

All that said, now that some new Binding Blade characters have come to FEH, I think it may be worthwhile to make a new update. I'll see if I have time soon.

I'll address the issues brought up since my last post below.

• On the Support Conversation menu's differences from FE7: The menu tabachanker made for FE6 was actually made from scratch using other menus as a base! So there may be some differences from FE7, and that's fine.
  • On the title screen crash: this isn't something I'd be able to do on my own, so I will leave this for now.
  • On Marcus's ending not displaying: I believe I've seen this with other characters, but not always. I'm not sure why this happens, unfortunately. Again, it's beyond my limited ability to resolve. 😞
  • On chapter names not displaying in epilogue: I may need to look into this. Although it's a difference from the Japanese version, I don't think it's a fatal problem so it is a lower priority in my eyes if I can't find a solution on my own. We may have disabled it due to chapter names being too long--seems like something I might do. 😛
  • On switched-around generic enemy names: Not sure about these. It's possible I meant to "fix" inconsistencies with the setting by making a change here and there. I will look into these.
  • Typo: "Genral Murdock" I thought I fixed this with the latest version, but I will check.
  • Typo: "one of our of our" I will look into this.
  • Typo: "you're that guy who was who was" I thought I fixed this with the latest version, but I will check.
  • Typo: "I'm postive" I will look into this.
  • New text with the new FE6 characters in FEH: character names look consistent with the spellings we used, but I will need to check whether their endgame titles need adjustment.
    Gonzalez: Kindly Bandit
    Cath: Master Thief
    Hugh: Worldly Mage
    Niime: Mountain Hermit
  • New text for FE6 content in FEH: I think I can make "Staff of the Saint" fit by using a custom thin font for some letters like I did with "Binding Blade". Will give it a try.
  • Other dialogue-related stuff for FE6 content in FEH that I will look into to see if adjustment is needed: Hugh refers to Niime as "nana" and his father as "old man"; Idunn uses "His Higness" to refer to Zephiel (don't remember if I used "highness" or "majesty"); Gonzalez talks like a caveman and Cath has her trademark snark in the official English localization so nothing needs to be done there I think 🙂

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else, and especially other FE6 content in FEH and typos. I'll keep track of other bug reports, even if I'm not able to handle them myself.

Not even close. Oh well, "Saint's Staff" it is.  😛

Or I can go with an abbreviation like "Stf of the St"? ...Don't worry, I'm kidding.

StaffSainFailure.png

Other progress:

- Fixed typos (Genral, postive, of our of our, who was who was)
- Updated endgame title for Gonzalez (Gentle Bandit→Kindly Bandit) and Hugh (Traveling Mage→Worldly Mage)
- Edited Hugh's dialogue to refer to Niime as "nana" from "grandmother"
- Edited Idunn's dialogue to refer to Zephiel as "Your Highness" from "Your Majesty" (other characters still refer to Zephiel as "Your Majesty"; "Your Highness" is otherwise used by other characters in reference to Guinivere and Elffin)
- Corrected R-button description of "Talk" command

To do:

- Check generic enemy names as pointed out by German FE Nino

Edited by gringe
Progress report

On 3/25/2022 at 10:19 PM, gringe said:

Not even close. Oh well, "Saint's Staff" it is.  😛

Or I can go with an abbreviation like "Stf of the St"? ...Don't worry, I'm kidding.

StaffSainFailure.png

I think "Stf of the Saint" should work or try "Stf OT Saint" instead? I think that should be shorten the name close to the official localization name.

By the way, what important FE6 weapons are we still missing in Heroes? I need to check and see on the Fire Emblem Wiki what it's still missing so far in The Binding Blade content in Heroes and look out for possible localization changes in the future.

Edit: I managed to check that Apocalypse was actually he only missing Legendary Weapon in Elibe that didn't appear in Heroes yet.

Edited by King Marth 64

On 3/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, gringe said:

- Edited Idunn's dialogue to refer to Zephiel as "Your Highness" from "Your Majesty" (other characters still refer to Zephiel as "Your Majesty"; "Your Highness" is otherwise used by other characters in reference to Guinivere and Elffin)

Honestly, I don't particularly understand why this was originally changed in the patch anyhow. "Your Highness" doesn't present an inconsistency because Idunn doesn't refer to him as such due to his status as king, but rather because he acts as her master. If anything, it served as a nice bit of backwards-continuity because there was always a visible diffrence in terms from as early as Chapter2. 

Though I guess it doesn't truly matter due to it now being reverted in responce to Heroes anyhow. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 1:43 PM, gringe said:

I confirmed and it seems that the "bad" ending now plays correctly in both the Ilia and Sacae routes.

I recently noticed that you slightly goofed when applying this fix. The event calls a second "Shows text normally", when the command is supposed to be "More text to show", like in the Sacae-version. Using the wrong command breaks the portraits moving their mouths during the textboxes.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, so many things since last time I checked here. Thanks to all for the feedbacks. As German FE Nino said, the opening glitch is probably a memory leak thing. I remember when I did the prologue hack back in, what, 2014 iirc, I had problems with the "too many objects opened" (or procs as you called them Nino). In the original game, each characters used 2 objects. That might have been OK for Japanese characters, but English uses more of them to convey the same meaning and it effectively crashed when too many letters were used. So I changed the code a bit to only used 1 object per letter and no objects for spaces. The 1 object per letter was still needed since the letters fading animations are done asynchronously for each letter. This, at least, without major reprogramming of the intro.

Good news is, with Seafarer's instructions, I was able to experience the bug. Even better, if I skip the first time, I get a bit of garbled text on the Nintendo logo (but no hang). So it IS most likely related to the intro skip. And that might have been due to halving the objects used for each letter.

So all I need now is time! I'll see what I can do and keep everyone update here.

Edited by tabachanker

• 2 weeks later...

OK found the bug. Found 2 bugs even! Both related to the changes I made to save on the amount of objects used (which I described in my previous post).

First, the "bypass space characters to save on objects" didn't work properly. This was a minor bug but by fixing it, there are less objects used overall on an intro page. This in turn seems to have fixed the full hang with the loud noises. The page that hanged used almost all available objects to display the long text (63 out of 64 max) and sometimes, after a full intro loop, it generated more objects than the previous time. I still don't know why that is, but we have a much bigger buffer now!

The garbled intro text were caused by me forgetting to initialized some RAM. The first time, all went well because objects had all 00s in their RAM. But the subsequent loops, that RAM had been used by other things and, since I didn't initialize it properly, it was all garbage that the intro text routines tried to interpret the best it could. There's a good chance that this was also the culprit for the full hang described in the paragraph above.

Last modification I made, something not apparent, but it bugged me knowing I could have made it better. It's the way I ordered the units in the support convo menu. I borrowed an unused byte in the units table to sort the units a specific way. Little did I know that there was actually a byte already in the units table for that purpose AND it's available & can be easily changed in FEBuilder. By using this byte, the support convo menu is much more friendly with FE6 hacks. The creator just has to make sure that every unit has this byte set in FEBuilder to a number from 1 to x, in sequence, just like in the original game.

@gringe I will wait for your new version with your own corrections, and then I'll send you the new ups patch that will include the fixes above. If you'd like to have the fixes before releasing a new version, pm me or write in this thread, I'll try to monitor it a little more frequently than usual!

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do with other suggestions in the thread. As always, if time permits!

Edited by tabachanker

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, WheatleyLaboratories said:

Will the english patch work on the virtual console rom as well as the regular one?

I'm not aware of a difference in ROM versions for FE6, but you don't know until you try.