FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea for Ein's speech, which should have a similar effect to his katakana speech in the original Japanese. During his dialogue with Flaer...

Flaer: Ah, there you are, Ein.

Ein: I-HEARD-YOU-CALLED-

Flaer: I will go report to General Narcian about the Lycian Alliance's army. I want you to defend this castle while I'm away.

Ein: UN-DER-STOOD-

Flaer: ...Who's there? Just the wind. Well, then, I'll be off. I'll leave the rest to you.

Ein: UN-DER-STOOD-

Ein's combat dialogue:

Ein: IN-CI-NE-RATE-

Ein's death quote:

Ein: WHAT-

I just noticed. According to quotes from Gonzalez in FEH, Garret's name has been changed to Garrett. Two t's.

Also, I had a question regarding using this patch as a base for my own personal mod.

I want to add Galle as a recruitable character, and give him five potential support partners like every other character in the game has at minimum. I've noticed that with the support conversation reader, I have lost the ability to implement new support conversations in FEBuilder, when I was able to before the patch version with the reader came out. Specifically, this error is always present when I have the rom open in FEB: "Support conversation data is extremely small. It may be damaged." When I open the Support Convos menu, it's completely blank and there's no hex address showing up.

Is there some other application or inside secret I can use to gain edit access to the support conversation table without having to somehow ditch the viewer?

Edited by CedAodh
I had a second concern to raise, so I added that in my edit.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:59 PM, CedAodh said:

When I open the Support Convos menu, it's completely blank and there's no hex address showing up.

The function changed and FEBuilder cannot read the pointer anymore. The list is at the exact same place tho, so you can just grab the hexadress and number of entries from another FE6 rom and press the refresh-button in the editor to gain access. The only thing of note is that the editor can't increase the number of entries for you because Builder still doesn't know the pointer. 

18 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

The only thing of note is that the editor can't increase the number of entries for you because Builder still doesn't know the pointer. 

I went to the end of the table in a hex editor where the last slot is Lilina and Cecilia. Very conveniently, there was 5 rows' worth of free space directly below that last entry before other stuff begins, so it looked like there would be no need to repoint the table, which you told me is currently not possible. Anyway, I figured out what values to plug in and where, and I was able to pull this off. All I have to do now, through the hex editor still, is assign different text entries to be each of the 15 new support conversations.

2022-10-29 (5).png

2022-10-29 (6).pngUpdate: It looks like I got it fully working. Thanks for the tip!

yeyayyy.emulator.png.53f55bfa3a1e6d38e98b40f914fc0c3f.pngyeyayyy1.emulator.png.cb0d95f5a9176c8e258c3a4c03c014b3.pngyeyayyy2.emulator.png.6a2c5f82d2638db6dab85ce4dbe3572d.pngyeyayyy3.emulator.png.2bdb7f2778062a8b81b6fab6fb562f1b.png

Edited by CedAodh
I accomplished more stuff.

• 4 months later...

Just want to firstly give my thanks. I've been playing some form or another of this game's translation for years now (this was my first FE game years ago) and I am really enjoying the localisation decisions you've made - so much of the text just reads and flows better.

Just a question. I was in the middle of a playthrough of an older translation patch before I decided to use yours. However, when using the save from the older translation on a rom patched with your translation, I've found that my unit stats are inflated, several of them getting serious gains (marcus with 15 str lol) which, while fun, unfortunately trivialises the game.

I imagine that this will be due to some technicality between the way each patch manages stats, and my only recourse is to start over from scratch. However, I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to edit my character's stats, perhaps in a save editor?

Edit: just realised that I was using the old, OLD patch, the one that has 'dastards' in it, and where Alan swears when dying. I figure I probably should replay the game, for stability's sake if nothing else.

Edited by whackityschmackitydoo

Is it just me, or do the sound effects keep disappearing every few minutes? I can't provide proof atm, but the continued cut off of the sound effects keep making me reset the game multiple times, and it's infuriating. Plus, I have sound on, and no matter if I switch between on and off, the sound still won't come back.

2 hours ago, Historia-KQ said:

Is it just me, or do the sound effects keep disappearing every few minutes? I can't provide proof atm, but the continued cut off of the sound effects keep making me reset the game multiple times, and it's infuriating. Plus, I have sound on, and no matter if I switch between on and off, the sound still won't come back.

It's just you. What emulator are you using? Are you using stock standard emulator settings, or have you changes something? What device are your running it on?

On 3/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, whackityschmackitydoo said:

It's just you. What emulator are you using? Are you using stock standard emulator settings, or have you changes something? What device are your running it on?

MGBA on a Dell Inspiron running Windows 11. I have yet to check the settings, so I don't really know what's causing it.

Update: I managed to fix it by changing the audio buffer from 1536 to 4096. Well I take that back it didn't solve it

Edited by Historia-KQ

Hi everyone !

I'm Spy(du62), a french player who has been playing Fire Emblem for 20 years. I use emulation to play games that were never released in Europe.

I'm curently trying to translate the FE6 US (patch v1.1.3) in french. For that, I'm using FEBuilder and it seems this program already have patches (where ?) for accented and special characters but I have no idea of the precise way to modify the US version and add the special characters to the font.

image.png.8d77710f297ac4afc0b32e7a70e7b263.png

For example, I would like to write "même" instead of "meme".

Does anyone know how to do this please ? The previous patch in french was not able to correct the problem of missing accents.

Thank you in advance.

PS. If anyone owns a US savegame with all the supports, would it be possible to share it to check my texts more quickly by reading the extra menu after each modified support please ?

Edited by Spy
Red color

2 hours ago, Spy said:

add the special characters to the font.

It is surely possible somehow, but nobody really looked into it thus far. The only way to use special characters is to replace already existing ones. (Characters that are generally free to use are ^><${} for example.)

Thanks for the tip! :) 

image.png.07edf7ca1f78380c11fee654926f5325.png

I found the characters in the FE8 (E) rom, export them and import them in FE6 but I still have a problem in game.

image.png.23ef7dc5aeff30e226d49d4cd3a076dc.png

image.png.283ff65c53d9b0defe913da5433eaaea.png

image.png.2165af4cb69c6f250fdd60259115a1e0.png

image.png.54e0e6fe8e2129687a51819f6e1e9a7e.png

I always have a horrible unwanted blank space after an accented character.

Edited by Spy
Printsreen

19 hours ago, Spy said:

I always have a horrible unwanted blank space after an accented character.

You can change the font width. As seen on your screenshot of the editor, you have it on the 9 that the editor automatically changes it to when importing something else.

Thanks again ! It's almost fixed. :)

Here's what I see now with FEBuilder.

image.png.cef788db4705fab496eccc5cbb1bada5.png

But IG the "é" is a smaller than what I was expected. 😞

image.png.3883a34174fc5213fe0f6a8a65aaee37.png

I have thess same problem with the "ê", "é" and other "new" letters.

image.png.7d2126b97c252e156d2bdcdf2dbabcc0.png

Any idea to fix it please ?

Finally, there is no problem. In fact, FE6 and and FE8 characters aren't exactly the same. We have to take a FE6 character and manually add all we need.

Here's what I have now. :)

Thanks again for your help, German FE Nino. :)

On 3/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, Historia-KQ said:

I'm having kind of the same issue with the old 1.0 version on Retroarch with the mGBA core (some sound effects just dissapear after a while until I restart), so I'm guessing it's an mGBA issue, maybe a recent update messed up something? I used to play on MyBoy for android and via injects/open_agb on the 3DS and I never had that issue previously.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:10 AM, MegaMarkLM said:

I'm having kind of the same issue with the old 1.0 version on Retroarch with the mGBA core (some sound effects just dissapear after a while until I restart), so I'm guessing it's an mGBA issue, maybe a recent update messed up something? I used to play on MyBoy for android and via injects/open_agb on the 3DS and I never had that issue previously.

I didn't have it either before I added the fan translation patch onto FE6, but yeah I do feel like this is an mGBA-specific issue.

Hi there, just wanted to say fantastic translation, really respect and appreciate the work done for it. 

However I'm having issues with versions of the patch containing the support viewer, it seems to be incompatible with a patch in febuilder that allows for access to the preps armory on hard mode, with the armory option just not showing up at all.

Unfortunately I'm not technically versed enough to sort out the problem on my own, and was wondering if anyone has a similar issue or might be aware of a solution for it! Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

By using Oifey bot commands in FE Discord servers, I found two things of note regarding the newest FEH banner with FE:
- Karel is called the Saint of Swords rather than the Sword Saint (possibly because they chose to call Od, the crusader from Jugdral, the Sword Saint). They really just pulled a Staff of the Saint again

- Noah talking about how Ilia sells death for a living seemed like a very specific choice of words, so that's why I bring this one up. In FEH, he uses the word "peddle." "Ilia survives by...peddling death..."

Hi! I found a version of this online, and it didn't say what version it was. It WAS prepatched. There was a weird bug where the cutscene at the start of Chapter 2 never progressed to Milady leaving the castle after talking with Ruud, so I had to reset the game and skip the whole cutscene to get to the actual chapter. Which version of the patch does it sound like I'm playing?

Edited by fenrir99
Verbiage; Milady never left the castle, so the cutscene froze

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 5:19 PM, Ariel Schnee said:

"NUPS" does not work on Windows XP.

So...

How am I supposed to patch this thing now since I am stuck with XP?

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

try that maybe?

you're probably aware, but it bears repeating that you should also get off XP as soon as you possibly can. It hasn't been supported in almost a decade, it's incredibly unsafe today + nothing will work

as for me, I haven't played FE6 in 15 years, but watching ImportedCheese's (great youtube channel btw) FE6 tierlist has given me an itch to play it again. What better time to try this patch?

Edited by Bishop Rodan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing ("testing") the game during commute on and off the last couple years with the goal of making sure all content could be unlocked. Well, I finally got all support conversations and trial map characters, so I uploaded my 100% complete save file to the first post. Note that I deleted all save files in progress, so you'll need to make your own if you want to play the trial maps. Make sure the ROM filename and SAV filename are exactly the same before the extension (.gba/.sav) to use it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3pcy46kedjtljwe/FE6Localization_100%25.sav/file

If tabachanker comes back, or if someone else wants to help resolve the crashing issue detailed last year or so, I'll put up one more update including a fix to Garrett's name (which has appeared in Heroes). 🙂

Edited by gringe